Author Topic: Newbie and job hunting advice!  (Read 1667 times)

without_a_map

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Newbie and job hunting advice!
« on: August 11, 2015, 12:05:33 PM »
Hi there, long-time lurker, finally decided to see if I can tap into the wisdom!

A bit about me:
I'm pretty early on in the mustaching journey (although late 20s already!), I'm just completing my PhD studies (plant biology) so income is pretty low at the moment, but on the upside, I have no debt apart from student loans, which here in the UK aren't too much of a worry, and a small amount of savings (~£3k), mainly put down in the last year since discovering MMM. I'm also pretty well practiced at living cheaply, having been a student for 8 years! What I really want to do now though is earn some actual proper money and get saving.

The bit I'm struggling with is how to get a job! I'm not planning on staying in academia, my time completing my PhD has put me off, also my research area is pretty limited, particularly in the UK, so I don't really feel like it is an option. So I'm looking for something that is outside of academia, but for which (if possible) my PhD would be an asset. What I'm finding very challenging is that I am from a very working class family, no one has corporate careers (farmer, builder, bar worker etc), so I feel like I have no clue what I'm even aiming for, or how to look. I really struggle to picture a career at a desk, but don't really know how to get into anything else without having to spend a lot more time and money on alternative training. I feel like I have got myself in a corner and don't know how to get out!

So really, any one got any careers advice? How to get started even? I've spoken to careers people at my university but it hasn't been much help! words of positivity much appreciated too, I'm trying hard to keep the complainy-pants to the minimum!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!