Author Topic: New clothes washer  (Read 2139 times)

The Guru

• Bristles
New clothes washer
« on: July 13, 2019, 01:06:05 PM »
It looks like Mrs. Guru and I will be in the market for a new washer. Any suggestions of brands/ features to look for or avoid?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Re: New clothes washer
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 03:43:07 PM »
I have a Speed Queen mechanical. Top loader, like the ones you see in laundromats. It was recommended to me by two different repair people. $800.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 04:21:46 PM »
I have a Speed Queen mechanical. Top loader, like the ones you see in laundromats. It was recommended to me by two different repair people. $800.

Speed Queen has recently changed the line of machines and reportedly no longer makes the same quality product.

If you want a machine that will actually wash the clothes and last for a very long time, look for a used Whirlpool or Kenmore made by Whirlpool that was manufactured prior to 2010.  Best part is you will pay less than $100.  Easy to repair.  I have a 1998 in a rental that still works just fine.  Repaired once for a belt issue that was probably the tenant's fault.  I installed a set of new Maytags in a rental in early 2018.  Cheaply made and require supervision to get the correct water level.  Not good with tenants.

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 04:24:26 PM »
Good news, the consumer backlash on the 2017 SQ's was severe enough that they changed back to their traditional design that had made them best in the industry.  The mechanical timer model would be my choice. Designed to last 25-years.  https://blog.designerappliances.com/speed-queen-washer/

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 04:43:56 PM »
Glad to hear Speed Queen is going back to original quality, since I had planned to buy one in the future!  (I heard somewhere that the change was due to water limitation requirements, but...)

I'd advise against one without an agitator though (top load anyway, my front loader worked fine until it died).  I have one without the agitator and I hate it.  When I had a dog, I'd have to use my parent's machine to wash her blankets because no matter how "heavy soil" I tried to set my washer, they still came out filthy. 

Even my regular clothes have to go in under heavy wash or they don't come out clean.  I use HE soap, but still have suds in the wash sometimes.  I know I'm not the only person who has had this issue.  I'll never buy one of these again, and I almost can't wait until mine dies--I won't even bother to repair it like I normally would.  I just can't have it die quite yet because I am paying off my lot of land, so that's going to cash-strap me more than I like.  At least enough not to replace a kind-of working washing machine yet.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 05:01:32 PM »
What the article says is that they are going back to an agitator design.  It does not say they are going back to the old design.  It also looks like the controls are electronic, not mechanical.  I would be cautious.

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 05:01:49 PM »
I'd advise against one without an agitator though (top load anyway, my front loader worked fine until it died).  I have one without the agitator and I hate it.  When I had a dog, I'd have to use my parent's machine to wash her blankets because no matter how "heavy soil" I tried to set my washer, they still came out filthy. 

I was tempted to comment on that as well.  Even with the agitators, I read complaints about the newer washers not using enough water to wash clothes properly (the deep fill option seems to help), but it seems worse with the machines that have the impellers.  I need a new washing machine also, but I've delayed buying one.  None of these comments are specific to Speed Queen.

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 09:39:35 AM »
What the article says is that they are going back to an agitator design.  It does not say they are going back to the old design.  It also looks like the controls are electronic, not mechanical.  I would be cautious.

You're right, that article doesn't come out and say it, but it does use the previous style transmission, and mechanical controls are still offered. The panel-mounted water level switch has been removed, but a deep-fill switch will give you a full tub of water.

EDIT TO ADD: I'm an old-school Maytag man myself, but SQ is currently running a promotion, buy any new SQ by 30 September and receive a 10-Year-Warranty. I haven't seen a deal like that in decades.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 07:50:57 PM by Cadman »

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 05:24:48 AM »
Speed Queen is still good, I noticed that other comment up there.  I got one within the last year and it is wonderful.  Top loader, 10 year warranty.  You have to go to a locally owned store to find them, but they are well worth the money.

I did research that included consumer reports, Kenmore and Whirlpool were bought out a while back, and I will never spend another penny on those brands.  If you let a local store show you, in person, the difference between those and the Speed Queen, it will make perfect sense why they last so much longer.

Good luck! 

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 05:53:15 AM »

I was tempted to comment on that as well.  Even with the agitators, I read complaints about the newer washers not using enough water to wash clothes properly (the deep fill option seems to help), but it seems worse with the machines that have the impellers.  I need a new washing machine also, but I've delayed buying one.  None of these comments are specific to Speed Queen.

We bought a new top loader with no agitator and run every single cycle on deep fill, and then extra rinse if it is something above average dirty. I think it's a GE. It does ok with those work arounds but I can't say I'm thrilled with it.

So much for all the water saving requirements! What a joke.

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 07:36:12 PM »
Thanks for the responses; looks like SQ is the one to look into. BTW I wish Maytags were as good as they used to be. I think my Mom owned 2 in 50 years; her last one was still working when she passed away. Our current one is a later model Maytag and well...say no more.