Author Topic: Need temporary Canadian cell phone service  (Read 3132 times)

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
Need temporary Canadian cell phone service
« on: April 10, 2015, 10:54:00 AM »
I'm sending a guy up to remote northern Manitoba for about a month.  He's got a smart phone on Verizon, but roam fees are horrendous and service is spotty way up there. 

I'd like to get him a cell phone (dumb phone ok) for this trip.  It needs to be able to call and text both US and Canada (should just be Manitoba) for reasonable price and get reception north of Gillam.  And no long-term contracts since he only needs it for a month.

Suggestions on the best way to do this?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Re: Need temporary Canadian cell phone service
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 11:02:35 AM »
My no contract post-paid T-Mobile plan has unlimited text and (slow) data in Canada with calls at $0.20/minute. I'm at $68/mo with taxes.

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 11:58:13 AM »

Gillam is pretty damn far north !  ha ha

In Canada we have three major telecom companies (Bell, Telus, Rogers).  To get reception up there you will have to use one of them or they each have their own discount brand as well that works on their network.
Koodo = Telus
Solo/Virgin = Bell
Fido = Rogers

I personally use Koodo but I am in a big city.  If you look at their coverage map, they seem to service that area.
http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-long-distance-and-travelling/coverage-maps

Koodo has prepaid plans, if you decide to do that.

Cheers.

TrMama

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 12:14:46 PM »
Koogie is spot on. I'd try to get a hold of someone who's actually up there and ask which provider has decent coverage. There will likely only be one. Then just call that provider and figure out the cheapest option (probably pay as you go). The problem with Canadian coverage maps is that they tend to be overly optimistic for any area outside of a major city.

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 09:27:09 AM »
FWIW, I checked into Verizon's plans before sending him off, and they've got a $15/month adder that gives 100 mg, 100 minutes, and 100 texts, then .10/min after that.  I figure that's probably about as good a deal as signing up with something locally.  And it looks like Verizon's got decent coverage around Gillam.

I have warned him to ration his calling and texting (sorry, kids!). :-)

If there are coverage issues, he'll be back in Winnipeg for a couple days and can pick up a local provider's phone then.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 10:52:28 AM »
The Verizon option is probably your best choice, all things considered... especially since it's already available. Unfortunately, mobile phone service up in Canada is expensive outside of receiving SMS messages, PAYGO or not.

brycedoula

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 11:50:58 AM »
In Manitoba you'll get the best (more like "best", that far north) with MTS, probably. MTS & Rogers are the big dogs in this province; Telus/Koodo/Fido/etc just piggyback off of those carriers' towers.