Author Topic: Need some advice on car/relocation  (Read 1561 times)

Trying2bFrugal

• Stubble
Need some advice on car/relocation
« on: April 11, 2018, 02:08:20 PM »
I am on H1 visa, contract worker for a good company in Michigan and my wife got a contracting job for a good company in Dublin, Ohio after a long and frustrating job hunt.
We currently live in Michigan. She had to join there in a week and below are the things I am having on my mind.

Our plan:
Plan A: she work there for a month and see if she likes the job. If she likes, I will search a job near to her, we resume our daily life there.
But my current company is stable, I am not pretty well of the job market.
Plan B: If I am not able to find a job,near to her then we need to continue this weekend life for four or five months and decide who need to change at that time.

1.  Car:
Its 3.5hours drive/170 miles distance. I will still be with my employer, but I have bike for local shopping and can car pool for my office.
But wife require the car. On weekends either I or she would need to be driving. Which makes us in a position to buy a car or I should get rental just on weekends when I visit her as there aren't option in public transit. I hate to spend money on rental as even if i rent 6 days in a month, it will still be like $250 on average * 5 = $1000/5 month (it can go up when I had to travel more). On positive side, i dont need to worry about disposing it when we dont need it. But we may end up in same living place but share two work locations which require two cars. My current car is Prius.

If I had to buy a car, should I buy a CRV/Rav4 kind of car or scion/civic/Mazda 3/Honda Fit (didnt include Prius as I already own it). Obviously used, but should the miles be under 100k? I prefer cars which are easily sell-able if I need to. Thinking CRV/Rav4 kind of cars as we plan a family and getting in and out on car seat for kid/seat would be pretty easy with the tall (we both are about 5.9) car. Also we started camping and biking, once bought a house would get a dog too.

2. Stay at Ohio: I need some advice on where to stay safe, economical and same time have a life when working in Dublin, Ohio? Shared accommodation is not an issue.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 02:37:37 PM by Trying2bFrugal »

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
Re: Need some advice on car/relocation
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 04:47:37 AM »
I think Option 2 and getting together on weekends is the best plan, unfortunately. When my sister and her husband lived halfway between two cities closer than that so they could commute opposite directions, she spoke of frequently getting woken up by the rumble strips.

Trying2bFrugal

• Stubble
Re: Need some advice on car/relocation
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 08:19:48 AM »
Thanks, wife decided not to join the company. She want to raise a family, so search is on for a job near to us.
All bets off now.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!