Author Topic: My oakley sunglasses broke!  (Read 10347 times)

Guses

• Pencil Stache
My oakley sunglasses broke!
« on: June 19, 2015, 10:34:05 AM »
As I was packing my pannier bike bag for my ride back home yesterday, my sunglasses fell out of my bag and I accidently stepped on them. I broke the arm at the hinge.

I had originally bought those from someone on CL that was selling them new in the box for 80$ (I think) back in 2006-2008ish. I wore them everyday for my bike ride and also when I went outside. They were AWESOME. They blocked the glare of the sun but where not too dark. I could almost stare into the sun but yet I could also wear them on a rainy day. None of the other pairs that I tried have ever felt the same (concededly, they were cheap no names).

My options:

-Buy a replacement pair: Caveat, they don't sell this model anymore (A wire 2.0) and I don't want a goofy looking pair. I would want something similarly shaped. Since they don't make the model anymore, even ebay prices for this model(used) are fairly high (120$+). Other models, brands???

- Try to repair this pair: oakley does not sell the arms and ebay does not appear to carry it either. The hinge is broken but I still have both pieces. Maybe I can try to do some soldering to stick the piece back on. CON: it will likely look like crap and the hinge movement will be impeded.

-Contact oakley? I heard that they offer great customer support and could offer a discount on a new pair for the old one. CON: Much $$$ and not the same style.

What would you do?

Sparafusile

• Bristles
Re: My oakley sunglasses broke!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 10:41:43 AM »
I went to the hardware store and bought a pair of tinted safety glasses for my bike rides. I downright abuse them and haven't had any problems. I'm curious about the sun glare you mentioned as I've never experienced it. Do you ride near a lot of lakes the reflect the sunlight? One thing I do agree with you on is wearing them in the rain. I cannot wear my cheap safety glasses in the rain because they seem to attract water. That being said, I can't imagine paying an order of magnitude more for glasses that shed water better.

Maybe I'm wrong about all this - I admit to being incorrect about a lot of the comfort items that can be used for biking. But I think I'd rather buy a nice saddle or a pair of riding shorts than a pair of stylish glasses.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 10:59:10 AM »
I went to the hardware store and bought a pair of tinted safety glasses for my bike rides. I downright abuse them and haven't had any problems. I'm curious about the sun glare you mentioned as I've never experienced it. Do you ride near a lot of lakes the reflect the sunlight? One thing I do agree with you on is wearing them in the rain. I cannot wear my cheap safety glasses in the rain because they seem to attract water. That being said, I can't imagine paying an order of magnitude more for glasses that shed water better.

Maybe I'm wrong about all this - I admit to being incorrect about a lot of the comfort items that can be used for biking. But I think I'd rather buy a nice saddle or a pair of riding shorts than a pair of stylish glasses.

The glare is not from when I am biking. We do a lot of hiking and snowshoeing. The spring is BRUTAL if you don't have good eye sun protection when the snow is melting and you are in the middle of a field.

AHah! I am actually quite happy with my cheapo seat and riding in casual sportswear. I hate riding shorts and their look(and also their cost)! Maybe I am biased because much of my riding is done furiously accelerating and standing up on the pedals. I just sit down when I need a break. But I have been called insane before.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 11:10:15 AM »
Well, since they're already broken, you don't have much to lose by trying a repair to start, right? Depending on HOW the joint is broken, it could be worth going into a watch repair or high end jewelry shop and seeing what they can do.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 11:13:36 AM »
i feel your pain.  i love my native hardtop xp sunglasses.  i really want a second pair, but i can't shell out that kind of cash for it.
I also had a problem at the hinge and the customer service rep was extremely nice.
sent me replacement arms for around $10.
I'd try calling and see what they say, maybe send a picture if you can get an email address.

nedwin

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 11:19:06 AM »
Contact Oakley about the glasses.  Quite a while ago (more than 10 years) I also broke a pair of Oakleys.  I sent the glasses to Oakley and they replaced the frame, I think it only cost me the postage.  I also had Oakley prescription lenses in the frame.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 11:33:45 AM »
Yeah, I should probably contact Oakley first to see if they offer some type of repair. If that fails, I can try to fixamajit it.

MetalCap

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 12:35:14 PM »
I used to be a huge oakley guy and got pairs repaired often by Oakley (started adding up).

Recently (about the same time i found MMM) I've made a switch to cheap $25 "Seastriker" polarized fishing sunglasses of of Amazon.  I don't fish often but these things have been awesome for hikes, boatin, biking, home repair, you name it.

Oakleys are great glasses but not worth it to keep repairing.  1 time warranty is great from Oakley but after 1 break a 2nd makes it too expensive vs the quality you can get for cheap.

GatewayTwo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 01:14:20 PM »
My wife had a pair of Oakley sunglasses break on her.  When she contacted Oakley, they said that for $25, plus shipping, they'd take her old lenses and replace the frames (provided they still manufacture that frame, or one in a compatible style).  They managed come come up with the exact frame out of an old box somewhere.

So, if your lenses are still OK then absolutely contact Oakley.  We were pleasantly surprised.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 01:56:20 PM »
Maybe I don't have good taste, but my $10 Fauxkleys from Walmart suit me just fine.

I have heard people have success with Oakley providing new frames.

newton

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 07:58:14 PM »
For biking I tend to just use cheap ole regular sunglasses.  For early morning riding or when it's not real sunny I wear the amber/yellow cheap glasses sold at any big box discount store.

However for day-to-day wear I have found over the years not to go cheap with sunglasses.  This is due not only to the style but the fit as well.  I hate spending money but have 2 pair of Oakley's but have had them for 4 years or so. I try and take good care of them.

That's my 2 cents.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 07:59:00 PM »
Funny how you don't notice a bad repair after a while.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 05:51:53 AM »
Is it me or the forum was down the last couple of days?

Anyways,  here is an update:

I called Oakley and the best they can do is give me a 30% discount on a new pair. I browsed their site and saw that similar wire frame glasses are 300$+ (OMWTFBBQ!!!).

Soldering it back on is a no go. I tried replacing both arms with those I had for a pair of prescription glasses that I have. While it could be ok, the arm hinges are too thin and the glasses don't hold well on my face.

So, I am considering purchasing a pair of these:

http://www.amazon.ca/Polarized-Modern-Metal-Frame-Sunglasses/dp/B00G00DZ2O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434887397&sr=8-1&keywords=wire+frame+sunglasses

It looks almost like an exact replica of the glasses that I have (except much cheaper). I figure that there is a high probability that I will be able to simply remove the arms from that part and slap them on my oakley frame and lenses.

BOOM, repaired oakleys with new branches to booth for 14$.

Anyone has experience with those glasses I linked to?