Author Topic: My next smartphone?  (Read 6400 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
My next smartphone?
« on: October 23, 2018, 05:07:17 AM »
Hi.

My current phone (Samsung Galaxy S4 Active) is 4 years old. It has a strange issue that makes that it has generally bad phone coverage when I have access to 4G data turned on. Also, it doesn't work indoors in my new office with coated windows. I need to go out of the new building to receive calls. My phone does not have the option to use the wifi net for phone calls.

I am thinking about replacing it with another phone. I don't want to pay a lot and I typically like to buy last year's model. I just don't want to buy a totally outdated phone which is soon no longer supported by operating system updates and apps. With my current phone I have already started to experience that some apps don't support it, because it is too old.

My requirements:
Must: Good coverage on the phone net!
Must: Access to 4G and older data networks. Also newer if available. Ability to turn this off easily.
Should: Water resistant
Should: Fall-on-the-floor resistant. I use a silicon cover, which helps sufficiently for most phones.
Should: Android operating system. Or another user-friendly alternative. I don't like iPhone and Windows phone.
Must: Good storage room for files/ option for good memory card
Must: Replaceable battery
Should: Good colors in pictures. Good camera, but does not need to be excellent, as I have understood this costs a lot.
Must: GPS
Should: Use it as a modem (sharing internet when I am on mobile data).
Should: Bluetooth
Must: Smart, should be able to run apps
Should: reasonably big screen. If too small, I can't read it. Not I don't want an enormous phone.
Should: Good battery time. I usually have GPS and data turned off as default. I want to be able to use the GPS for many hours and read off the screen regularly.
Should: Phone over WIFI net.

I have read tests about the Motorola Moto G5 Plus being a very good and cheap choice in Mai 2017. But maybe this is possibly already a bit outdated. And the battery is not replaceable.
Do you have any good suggestions of last year's models that I could consider?

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
Re: My next smartphone?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 05:15:41 AM »
I had the S4 for a long time, maybe 5 years and it was a solid phone. I now have the S6, I have had it for two years.

I am at the end of my contract, I have been paying £35 a month, but from December I will be able to beat this down to £10 a month.

S6 gets an easy vote from me, it will be a cheap phone to acquire and you are well used to Samsung.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 06:00:19 AM »
I am now looking at HTC U11 and U12. They get very good reviews. U12 has best battery capacity.

Nokia 7 plus also gets very good reviews and has an even better battery. I also has good phone coverage, but uses a lot of battery in areas with bad reach. I am in such places regularly. This phone gets good reviews from users, apart from that is cannot send MMS with certain providers. This is something I do seldom.

I still need to check whether these phones fulfill my requirements.

Edit: I see that the Nokia 7 plus is 2 cms longer than my current phone. I find that too big.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 06:46:00 AM by Linda_Norway »

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 06:37:43 AM »
I have a Moto G5s Plus that I really like and I think hits most if not all of your criteria.  I was actually going to buy my mom something in the Moto G line for Christmas.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 06:58:45 AM »
I have a Moto G5s Plus that I really like and I think hits most if not all of your criteria.  I was actually going to buy my mom something in the Moto G line for Christmas.

This phone got on a Norwegian website a bad review compared to the cheaper models G5 and G5s. But those two don't have a changeable battery. DH and I have changed our phone batteries every other year or so and that makes the phone live much longer. So this is an important requirement for me.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 07:00:32 AM »
You're in Norway.. have you looked at Fairphone 2?  I would consider that (if I weren't an American).

https://shop.fairphone.com/en/buy-fairphone2-2  It's modular so you can swap out pieces.  It's not sexy or streamlined, but it's practical and environmentally friendly. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 07:22:48 AM »
You're in Norway.. have you looked at Fairphone 2?  I would consider that (if I weren't an American).

https://shop.fairphone.com/en/buy-fairphone2-2  It's modular so you can swap out pieces.  It's not sexy or streamlined, but it's practical and environmentally friendly.

Interesting concept. But in the Norwegian technical review it only gets 5 out of 10 points. And low battery capacity. A bit disappointing.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 02:23:43 AM »
I had the S4 for a long time, maybe 5 years and it was a solid phone. I now have the S6, I have had it for two years.

I am at the end of my contract, I have been paying £35 a month, but from December I will be able to beat this down to £10 a month.

S6 gets an easy vote from me, it will be a cheap phone to acquire and you are well used to Samsung.

The shops here don't sell the S6 anymore.

I noticed that the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge resolves most of my requirements.
It has excellent phone signal coverage, call over wifi, memory card option, alle types of mobile data support, it is waterresistant. It is a bit larger than my current phone, but not much.
I will put this one on my list and buy it when it becomes more affordable, maybe in a few months.

UncleX

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 04:00:03 AM »
I’ve had my Galaxy S6 for 3 years now and am still very satisfied with it. It seems still available here and there in the Netherlands (bol.com), so that might be an option for you. No replaceable battery, although here I can have it replaced for 50 euro at a repair shop.

I had a quick look at the S7, and that seems to be the better choice now, and cheaper.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 05:56:11 AM »
I’ve had my Galaxy S6 for 3 years now and am still very satisfied with it. It seems still available here and there in the Netherlands (bol.com), so that might be an option for you. No replaceable battery, although here I can have it replaced for 50 euro at a repair shop.

I had a quick look at the S7, and that seems to be the better choice now, and cheaper.

The Norwegian law is very good for warrentee on products. Phones are supposed to have a life expectance of more than 2 years. Therefore the 5 year warrentee is applicable. Shops must fix any fabrication faults that appear within 5 years, or give you a replacement. No other country in Europe has this long warentee period. Therefore I prefer to buy electrical devices here in Norway. I'll wait for black Friday or some other time it becomes cheaper.

I am still looking at other phones as well. The Nokia 7.1 is slightly smaller (what I prefer). It can do pretty much the same as the Samsung S7 edge and costs 40% less. It is not waterproof, though. And I need to check whether it supports wifi direct.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 06:11:20 AM »
I have a question about these Android versions.
Is it important to buy the highest number of those? Or is it just consumerist sucka to make you buy a newer phone. Or does a low number mean that your phone is soon outdated?
The Samsung S7/edge comes with Android 6 and the Nokia 7.1 with Android 8 and can be updraded to 9.
My current phone uses Android 5, for what it is worth.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 07:41:04 AM »
Is it important to buy the highest number of those? Or is it just consumerist sucka to make you buy a newer phone. Or does a low number mean that your phone is soon outdated?
The Samsung S7/edge comes with Android 6 and the Nokia 7.1 with Android 8 and can be updraded to 9.

I think lower number usually indicates and older model. You don’t need to get the newest model, but Android does stop providing security updates about 3 years or so after release (I’m coming up to that limit with my Nexus 5). The expected duration of support is one of the biggest factors I consider when replacing a device.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 07:57:49 AM »

I think lower number usually indicates and older model. You don’t need to get the newest model, but Android does stop providing security updates about 3 years or so after release (I’m coming up to that limit with my Nexus 5). The expected duration of support is one of the biggest factors I consider when replacing a device.

I just read that the Samsung S7 can be updated to newer Android versions. But people are complaining really hard about reduced battery life and other issues...

The Nokia 8 is also attractive and water resistant. But is has lower battery capacity than the other two phones.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 08:23:26 AM by Linda_Norway »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 09:53:29 AM »

I just read that the Samsung S7 can be updated to newer Android versions. But people are complaining really hard about reduced battery life and other issues...

The Nokia 8 is also attractive and water resistant. But is has lower battery capacity than the other two phones.

Yeah, if the new version isn't optimized for the hardware, battery life and processing speed will suffer. My Nexus 5 stopped receiving official updates after OS 8, and it's been running slow on that. Apps are upgrading to be compatible with OS 9, and that's causing even slower processing speeds and increased battery usage. I restart my phone at least once a day to stop anything running in the background, but that doesn't seem to make much of a difference. It's frustrating because the screen still looks great and the camera takes great photos, but I charge overnight and still get a low battery warning by evening (I don't use the phone much during the day), and several apps lock frequently, including Gmail, Camera, and even the Phone app (all intrinsic to the OS, not installed by me).

I'm looking at the Moto G6 as an upgrade this winter. I don't think it has a removable battery, but I think it meets most of your other requirements. It's the budget phone offered with Project Fi service (what I use), and it was just released this year so it should get official support for about 3 years. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 10:26:35 AM »

Yeah, if the new version isn't optimized for the hardware, battery life and processing speed will suffer. My Nexus 5 stopped receiving official updates after OS 8, and it's been running slow on that. Apps are upgrading to be compatible with OS 9, and that's causing even slower processing speeds and increased battery usage. I restart my phone at least once a day to stop anything running in the background, but that doesn't seem to make much of a difference. It's frustrating because the screen still looks great and the camera takes great photos, but I charge overnight and still get a low battery warning by evening (I don't use the phone much during the day), and several apps lock frequently, including Gmail, Camera, and even the Phone app (all intrinsic to the OS, not installed by me).

I'm looking at the Moto G6 as an upgrade this winter. I don't think it has a removable battery, but I think it meets most of your other requirements. It's the budget phone offered with Project Fi service (what I use), and it was just released this year so it should get official support for about 3 years.

Yes, the Moto 6 and 6 plus also look good. But they are bigger in size and don't have great battery capacity.

I am becoming more sceptic of the Samsung S7 edge. Buying an already outdated android version and not having great updates, means the phone is a bit outdated already. And maybe not worth the much higher price than the Nokia.

I found out on the chat with the shop that the Nokia 7.1 does have wifi direct, although it was not mentioned. So this phone has all my requirements, except for being water resistant.

My DH once dropped his brand new iPhone 4 in a river. That phone was not waterproof either. But it didn't take damage after a good drying.

I found out that we webside that I use to compare phones uses the wrong battery capacity for the Nokia 7.1. It is not 3800, but 3060. So now the other phones aren't quit as bad in comparison. I will have another round of comparing...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 11:18:14 AM by Linda_Norway »

The 585

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 01:54:42 PM »
Posting to follow because I need a new phone as well. Just got burnt twice in a row buying phones on Swappa which had defective issues but were listed as "great" condition. Now I've decided that going new will be best for me.

Looks like the Moto X4 is a great deal but I'm not sure the best place to buy one. I want to like the Essential Phone but its lack of waterproofing and headphone jack are a big turnoff.

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2018, 08:51:09 AM »
Weren't Apple and Samsung heavily fined recently for providing software updates that deliberately slowed down older phones? I guess their idea was to chase users onto new phones.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2018, 09:01:30 AM »
Anybody have a Google Pixel?  I've had my iPhone 6 for about 3.5 years now and it's slow as dirt.  My entire law practice runs on Google so I'm considering switching to Android, but have hardly looked into anything beyond the Pixel.

jayholden

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2018, 09:29:38 AM »
I hear great things about Moto phones. Watch a few JerryRigEverything videos to get a feel for general durability.

Buy a used phone from Swappa to save $50-$100+ depending on the age of the phone.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2018, 11:05:57 AM »
Weren't Apple and Samsung heavily fined recently for providing software updates that deliberately slowed down older phones? I guess their idea was to chase users onto new phones.

That sounds familiar. Checked it and it is correct.
Something to be sceptic about. Maybe it is the update to newer Android versions, which makes a phone slower and drains the battery faster, as mentioned by someone above.

I find that the Samsungs I might be interested in are all delivered with an old Android version and I have decided to buy a phone that comes with Android 8 Orion.
I am thinking of letting the requirement of water resistance go. And also the requirement of replacing the battery. Those requirements narrowed the choice of phones a lot. The phones that are left are either very large, very expensive, not available in Norway, or equiped with an outdated Android system. The rest all don't live up to all my requirements, including the new ones.
My list for water resistant phones, minus the outdated Samsungs so far is:

Nokia 7.1, Nokia 7 Plus, Nokia 8 Sicorro, Huawei Mate 10 Pro, HTC12+.
The water resistant ones that are not on the list have been removed because I read too bad user experiences. Long live the internet.

Good coverage is very important, as well as wifi direct and support for 4G, 3G and Edge. The iPhone was also supposed to have a fixed battery, but that was easily replaced with the correct tool, bought in China. I would also like Gorilla glass that is more solid. I want the camera to be able to zoom and I want it to be able to take good pictures in circumstances with tempered light. Not all phones can zoom in, while my current phone can. I also want support for memory card. I want the phone to be not larger than 15 cms heigh.

If the phone doesn't need to be water resistant, the list can become much larger and I need to start from scratch.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2018, 12:19:13 PM »
I am actually feeling a bit provoked that I need to look for a newer phone. Mostly it is because I need wifi direct at work and better coverage in general. And because the first apps are not applicable for my phone. Otherwise my current device is working just fine. I don't need at that new stuff like an extra selfy camera.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2018, 01:03:49 PM »

That sounds familiar. Checked it and it is correct.
Something to be sceptic about. Maybe it is the update to newer Android versions, which makes a phone slower and drains the battery faster, as mentioned by someone above.

I find that the Samsungs I might be interested in are all delivered with an old Android version and I have decided to buy a phone that comes with Android 8 Orion.
I am thinking of letting the requirement of water resistance go. And also the requirement of replacing the battery. Those requirements narrowed the choice of phones a lot. The phones that are left are either very large, very expensive, not available in Norway, or equiped with an outdated Android system. The rest all don't live up to all my requirements, including the new ones.
My list for water resistant phones, minus the outdated Samsungs so far is:

Nokia 7.1, Nokia 7 Plus, Nokia 8 Sicorro, Huawei Mate 10 Pro, HTC12+.
The water resistant ones that are not on the list have been removed because I read too bad user experiences. Long live the internet.

Good coverage is very important, as well as wifi direct and support for 4G, 3G and Edge. The iPhone was also supposed to have a fixed battery, but that was easily replaced with the correct tool, bought in China. I would also like Gorilla glass that is more solid. I want the camera to be able to zoom and I want it to be able to take good pictures in circumstances with tempered light. Not all phones can zoom in, while my current phone can. I also want support for memory card. I want the phone to be not larger than 15 cms heigh.

If the phone doesn't need to be water resistant, the list can become much larger and I need to start from scratch.

I've always just placed my phone in a plastic ziploc bag if I needed to bring it to the beach or on a boat. It seems like removing that restriction would greatly expand your options, particularly in the lower-price zone.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2018, 01:37:15 AM »
One of my hobbies has to do with mushrooms. I often walk in the forest, finding mushroom species. Then I look at my phone for GPS coordinates and use the phone to take a picture. This is typically also done in wettish weather, although seldom in the pouring rain.
I also occasionally use my phone to check where I am on a map.
If the phone could be handled through a ziplock or other waterproof bag, that could fix the problem. We have suck a bag for the iPad to use in the bathtub. But it doesn't browse as easily as normal.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2018, 03:33:41 AM »
I have checked all the phones and their specifications and customer reviews. Now my choice is between these models. I note the differences that matter to me. My current phone is 14 cm in length and I want the next phone to not be much bigger.

Samsung Galaxy J7 (2017)
108h battery time, 15,2 cm long, not WP, Android 7

Samsung Galaxy A7 (2017)
115h battery time, 15,7 cm long, waterproof, camera can zoom, android 8

Samsung Galaxy S8 active
111h battery time, 15,2 cm long, waterproof, gorilla glass, android 7

For the size and waterproofness, I prefer the Samsung S8 active. But I don't see it for sale in Norway! When I look formit, even on foreign websites, I only get up assessories. So I'm affraid that phone is just not available.

For the other options, I prefer the J7 for it's size and the A7 for it's waterproofness. The zoom function of the A7 is also a pre. So I need to think it over.

For this list I prioritized battery life, as I found a comparable list for it. The Samsung S7 Edge has best phone signal, which is also important. But it has only 92h of battery time. It is on the other hand WP and only 15,1 cm long. Maybe I should reconsider the importance of battery time. I could change my phone at night time every night, if neccesary. And on multiple day hiking trips, I usually keep my phone switched off or at least on flight modus, except for a short time at camp. It does have this quite outdated android version 6, which makes that the phone might not work optimally for the next 4 years.

When considering a phone with size 15,7 cm, I can also look at the Motorola Moto G6 plus again. That one is 16,0 cm, only slightly longer. It is splash resistant. But battery time is only 70h. It does have android 8/9. It also has an alunimium back, which I like better than glass.
But this phone probably need to be charged daily.

The Motorola 6G play on the other hand has 25% more battery capacity than the 6G plus. It's length is 15,4 cm and it is not splash proof. The camera is also less quality and the phone is less fast. Overall quality lower than the 6G.
The other to models, Moto 6G and Moto 6GSI are also 15,4 cm long. Butbthey have a smaller battery than the 6G plus and only 64h of battery time. They are both splaybresistant though. So do I go for the batteri time of for the size? I think the battery time is simply too short here. I hate having to worry that my phone is being low on battery. So back to the Samsungs.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 04:53:18 AM by Linda_Norway »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2018, 05:04:33 AM »
One of my hobbies has to do with mushrooms. I often walk in the forest, finding mushroom species. Then I look at my phone for GPS coordinates and use the phone to take a picture. This is typically also done in wettish weather, although seldom in the pouring rain.
I also occasionally use my phone to check where I am on a map.
If the phone could be handled through a ziplock or other waterproof bag, that could fix the problem. We have suck a bag for the iPad to use in the bathtub. But it doesn't browse as easily as normal.

In that case, you'd be better off adding a good water-resistant case (OtterBox or similar) to ensure that you'll be able to use it as needed.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2018, 06:46:07 AM »
Things are getting more complicated.

The best waterproof version of my previous commentvwas the Samsung Gaxaxy A7 (2017). Turn out that version is not available in Norway. We only have the A7 (2018) which is not waterproof. Now I am also looking at the A8 (2018) and S8 plus. These are the numbers:

A7 (2018)
Not WP. 15.7 cm. Android 8. Battery time unknown. 4 x zoom.

A8 (2018)
Waterproof. 14,9 cm. android 7/8. Battery time 82h. 4 x zoom.

S8 plus
Waterproof, 16,0 cm. android 7/8. Battery time 88h. No zoom. About 30% more expensive than the other two.

On this new list, the A8 (2018) looks the best, especially the size. And it is availble. The customer reviews on the shop's website are not all positive. So I will read some more.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2018, 11:29:16 PM »
I had finally decided on the Samsung A8 (2018) - price 3500 NOK (Norwegian crowns). But last night my DH got interested in the subject and started comparing phones. He would have bought the A7 (2018) - price 3500 NOK, which gives more phone than the A8 in each aspect. Better cameras, more memory etc. And it is a much newer phone. The phones cost exactly the same here in Norway. But the A7 is not waterproof and a centimeter larger.

An other alternative is the S8 - price 5000 NOK, which is not bigger, but is waterproof, has much better camera and more memory than the A8. But that is not a very new model. And then there are the S9 and S9+  - price 7000 NOK, which are even better in every way, newer and waterproof. The S9 is not so big. But they cost a lot more than I am willing to spend. I doubt whether they go on sale on Black Friday.

Now I am in mega doubt about buying The A7 that costs the same as the A8, but is newer (out of the box support for newer android version), faster and better, but giving up on waterproofness and size. That means I would go up 2 centimeters in size from my current phone. I don't need a real waterproof phone, but like the fact that it is low stress to carry my phone in rainy weather while hiking.

This is so difficult. The A7 and the S8 are very comparable in specs. But the advantage of S8 is smaller size and waterproofness. But is costs a lot more. That makes the A7 (2018) a very attractive phone and good value for money.

Maybe I should just go for the A7 (2018), get the most phone for the money and find a waterproof casing of some kind. And live with the bigger size.

I have asked some of my colleagues for advice and they typically prefer a smaller phone, the size of my current old phone. I looked at one of my co-workers phone. Hers is 1 cm longer than my current and that feels fine. Not too big. She thinks her husbands phone that is even bigger becomes too big. So my conclusion is that 15 cm in length is acceptable for me (A8 and S8). I am not not sure about 16 cm (A7).

Comparison between A7, S8 and A8:
https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone2=8161&idPhone3=8886&idPhone1=9340

Comparison between S9, S8 and A8:
https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone2=8161&idPhone3=8886&idPhone1=8966

My biggest fear with the S8 is to buy an outdated phone with too old Android system.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 02:00:46 AM by Linda_Norway »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2018, 04:22:47 AM »
I think I'll go for the Samsung A8 (2018) anyway. It has the right size for me and is waterproof. I don't really need a phone that is faster, has more internal memory and is better at playing video, which I never do. And from reviews I have understood that the phone is good enough. I have also read that some people who have tried both, don't consider the more expensive S8 to be better in general use.

I saw that one of the shops has recently increased the price with 50$. I guess that is to be able to put the price down again at black Friday. I will wait until then to order for lower price.

The great thing in Norway with purchases over the web, is that you can try out a product and return it within 14 days without reason. In that time I should have tested the phone for good coverage at my office with my current subscription.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2018, 03:54:33 AM »
User comments on the Samsung A8 (2018) say that the camera is really not good. I have been searching a lot, but with all the phones I have found so far, I need to do a concession, either in specifications, or in battery time, or in price.

Currently I am interested in the LG V30. It is the same price as the Samsung S8, but has better battery. It is not too big, has a good main camera, is waterproof and has been described as a very good phone. It is updatable to Android 8. The selfie camera is crap, but I never take selfies.
https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8712&idPhone2=8161&idPhone3=8886

One of my frugal colleagues said that I should buy the one phone that satisfies my requirements (the LG V30), despite the fact that the price is a little higher than I originally had in mind. I save so much money on other stuff, that she thinks I should afford myself this phone.
My argument is of course, that I can only FIRE is I save money on everything. But what good does it do to buy a phone that you have made too many compromises on, in size, battery time and functionality? Maybe it is better to buy a last year's top model at reduced price and have a good phone.
I don't think the current price is too bad, and I'll still wait for black Friday to see if it gets cheaper.

I have set up warnings in a price compare website and will order either the LG V30 or the Samsung S8 as soon as one of them gets a lower price. Both thee phones have very good reviews and user feedback. I am now not in doubt anymore. It will be ones of these 2 phones.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 06:21:57 AM by Linda_Norway »

financialfreedomsloth

• Stubble
    • financial freedom sloth
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2018, 06:07:38 AM »
have you looked at the pocophone https://www.androidauthority.com/xiaomi-pocophone-f1-review-894669/
or Honor play https://www.techradar.com/reviews/honor-play-review
Both less than 300 euro.
Battery can not be replaced but at a sub 300 euro price who cares?
I actually do not want my phone to last longer than about three years (new innovations appear almost mothly in this space). Which is the reason why I do not want to spend more than 300 euro on it.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2018, 09:17:23 AM »
I just went through the same ordeal as you Linda.
In the end, I opted for the One Plus 6 - unlocked - dual SIM.
Runs three different GPS versions EU, US and AUS, 6GB Ram. Also available in 8GB, but they were sold out.

Battery life - good but not top of the line. It comes with a fast charging cable from zero to 100% in about an hour - love that.

PRO:
Continuous update to the newest Android versions and security fixes - love that. There is no cap on updates as long as the phone can handle it. It does not abandon you in two years either.
Speed is awesome
Memory is top of the line. (Even most of the Samsung only have 4GB.)
Great camera and I liked that they send me three camera updates already. I wasn't sure what to expect since the reviews said it was just shy of the best phone cameras out there.
Water resistant - they don't say waterproof, but it is fine under running water and no problem in the rain - I can vouch for that:). (The company just didn't want to invest in paying for the licensing fees for this feature is what I saw mentioned online)

CON:
Battery not replaceable.
No wireless charging - but you can buy a car charger - car charger also uses the quick charge technology which is a plus.
It is Android technology, but it took me a couple of days to set up my own configuration which I didn't expect, but it was easy to do overall.

FYI:
As of October 2018 - T-Mobile in the US (which is the same as Telekom in Germany) started carrying their newest Model, One Plus 6T, which I assume might be a locked carrier deal.

When I bought it online in August, this phone was available only directly from the manufacturer's website, they also have a page with accessories. Amazon (US) also had it but these were re-sellers - so the price was higher.
I'm glad that I ordered a book cover for it because neither Germany nor France had any accessories for it.
Looks like all that may have changed now that there is a carrier that offers their phones, it will be more widely available in Europe as well.

My previous phone was an LG Flex which I loved, but you know - no more updates and some of the new and more secure apps do not work with it any longer.
HATE:
My LG Flex was a bit larger, but not tablet size - the problem is that the One Plus and practically all of the new phones have different dimensions - they are not as wide, which makes it harder to read books or longer e-mails and restricts your overall view on the GPS as well.

So yeah I got all I wanted but the size and I was seriously considering selling it for that reason alone, but I discovered that my LG Flex still works with Wi-Fi and I can still download my books from the library.
... and when I bought my Sim at T-Mobile they had an LGPad X2 tablet promo, with extra battery pack and stand. Instead of $140 up front it was only $4 a month for the next two years, perfect size for watching Netflix.
So I guess all my requirements are met after all - just not in one device.

Linda, my recommendation after reading reviews for months is to go for the Samsung S8 plus. It is a solid choice, just be aware that Samsung is known for their fragile screens which seem to shatter so often that there is an entire cottage industry replacing those screens:). Get gorilla glass and the Otter or military grade cover for it and you'll be fine - my son has one and he says it is the best of all the Samsung phones/tablets that he owned.

I also recommend my current phone the One Plus because it has all the same bells and whistles - plus it has better storage capacity and speed and the huge advantage of always having the newest Android system and continuous updates - and you can use it in the rain:).
But, it has just a regular size phone screen.
Overall, the OnePlus is not the cheapest phone out there, but will save you about $200 over the latest Samsung, has more GB and the latest Android system incl updates.
If it becomes available in Norway it is worth your consideration and yes, I looked at every phone you mentioned and then some:).

Just my two cents - there are plenty of good phones out there, but you seemed to have the same requirements as I did - so there you go:)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2018, 09:25:21 AM »
have you looked at the pocophone https://www.androidauthority.com/xiaomi-pocophone-f1-review-894669/
or Honor play https://www.techradar.com/reviews/honor-play-review
Both less than 300 euro.
Battery can not be replaced but at a sub 300 euro price who cares?
I actually do not want my phone to last longer than about three years (new innovations appear almost mothly in this space). Which is the reason why I do not want to spend more than 300 euro on it.

Size and waterproofness. I have decided that I don't find a good enough phone for under 15 cm. Both phone you suggest are bigger than that. I currenty have a 14 cm phone and don't want a much bigger one. They are both newer, though.
I have been looking at second hand phones. Then of course, the battery is used and not as good as it was. If I would be able to replace a screen, I could buy a very good phone for almost no money. But I am a bit sceptic whether I can succesfully replace a screen on a waterproof phone.
Also, one phone that is for sale, is so far away that I cannot go there personally. Another does not have a receipt. And if the phones go down in price a lot, I can probably buy a new phone for little more. I wait for black Friday and for January sales. There is no meed to rush.
Also, second hand, there is a Huawei P20 Pro for sale for the same price as a new LG V30 or Samsung S8. This is maybe the best phone on the market for a reduced price, second hand. But why do they sell it? And it is also bigger than I would prefer.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 12:30:16 AM by Linda_Norway »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2018, 09:38:37 AM »
I just went through the same ordeal as you Linda.
In the end, I opted for the One Plus 6 - unlocked - dual SIM.
Runs three different GPS versions EU, US and AUS, 6GB Ram. Also available in 8GB, but they were sold out.

Battery life - good but not top of the line. It comes with a fast charging cable from zero to 100% in about an hour - love that.

PRO:
Continuous update to the newest Android versions and security fixes - love that. There is no cap on updates as long as the phone can handle it. It does not abandon you in two years either.
Speed is awesome
Memory is top of the line. (Even most of the Samsung only have 4GB.)
Great camera and I liked that they send me three camera updates already. I wasn't sure what to expect since the reviews said it was just shy of the best phone cameras out there.
Water resistant - they don't say waterproof, but it is fine under running water and no problem in the rain - I can vouch for that:). (The company just didn't want to invest in paying for the licensing fees for this feature is what I saw mentioned online)

CON:
Battery not replaceable.
No wireless charging - but you can buy a car charger - car charger also uses the quick charge technology which is a plus.
It is Android technology, but it took me a couple of days to set up my own configuration which I didn't expect, but it was easy to do overall.

FYI:
As of October 2018 - T-Mobile in the US (which is the same as Telekom in Germany) started carrying their newest Model, One Plus 6T, which I assume might be a locked carrier deal.

When I bought it online in August, this phone was available only directly from the manufacturer's website, they also have a page with accessories. Amazon (US) also had it but these were re-sellers - so the price was higher.
I'm glad that I ordered a book cover for it because neither Germany nor France had any accessories for it.
Looks like all that may have changed now that there is a carrier that offers their phones, it will be more widely available in Europe as well.

My previous phone was an LG Flex which I loved, but you know - no more updates and some of the new and more secure apps do not work with it any longer.
HATE:
My LG Flex was a bit larger, but not tablet size - the problem is that the One Plus and practically all of the new phones have different dimensions - they are not as wide, which makes it harder to read books or longer e-mails and restricts your overall view on the GPS as well.

So yeah I got all I wanted but the size and I was seriously considering selling it for that reason alone, but I discovered that my LG Flex still works with Wi-Fi and I can still download my books from the library.
... and when I bought my Sim at T-Mobile they had an LGPad X2 tablet promo, with extra battery pack and stand. Instead of $140 up front it was only $4 a month for the next two years, perfect size for watching Netflix.
So I guess all my requirements are met after all - just not in one device.

Linda, my recommendation after reading reviews for months is to go for the Samsung S8 plus. It is a solid choice, just be aware that Samsung is known for their fragile screens which seem to shatter so often that there is an entire cottage industry replacing those screens:). Get gorilla glass and the Otter or military grade cover for it and you'll be fine - my son has one and he says it is the best of all the Samsung phones/tablets that he owned.

I also recommend my current phone the One Plus because it has all the same bells and whistles - plus it has better storage capacity and speed and the huge advantage of always having the newest Android system and continuous updates - and you can use it in the rain:).
But, it has just a regular size phone screen.
Overall, the OnePlus is not the cheapest phone out there, but will save you about $200 over the latest Samsung, has more GB and the latest Android system incl updates.
If it becomes available in Norway it is worth your consideration and yes, I looked at every phone you mentioned and then some:).

Just my two cents - there are plenty of good phones out there, but you seemed to have the same requirements as I did - so there you go:)

The OnePlus looks like a good phone, but is is bigger than I would like. And in Norway it costs more than the other 2 phones I had in mind. But always getting newest android would increase lifespan of the phone.
By the way, both Samsung S8 and LG V30 have gorilla glass.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2018, 03:28:14 AM »
As I still haven't ordered aphone, I am still looking at some other phones. Currently looking at Sony XZ1 ($ 350)  and XZ1 ($300) compact, versus the LG V30 ($500).

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8712&idPhone2=8804&idPhone3=8610

The Sony phones have pretty good user reviews. No one complains about phone signal coverage. Some complain about hopeless Sony software. By but phones are smaller than the LG, are waterproof and have android 8. The LG camera is much better under shady circumstances. And the LG sound is much better. The XZ1 compact has super battery time, 108h and is super fast.
So now I`m wandering if I should be more Mustachian and buy the XZ1 compact, which has a good camera for daylight pictures, is WP, has outstanding battery time and is really smart and smooth to use. Because spending $500 on a phone will hurt my Mustachian soul. That is why I am waiting for the sale.

Edit: In Norway we have a challenge with the keyboard, as the Norwegian alfabeth has 3 additional characters, compared to an international keyboard. On a compact phone, the characters on the keyboard become so narrow that they are hard to hit correctly. DH has a challenge with this with his compact iPhone. I don't like that aspect, so I should not go for the Sony XZ1 compact. Maybe for the XZ1, though, which is almost the same width as the LG V30. The cheaper phones do not have a picture stabilizer in the main camera, which really makes your pictures sharper.
I also keep looking at the samsung S8, which is sold many more places than the LG V30, as well as the XZ1. Good chance that there will be a good bargain on it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 03:59:30 AM by Linda_Norway »

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2018, 12:36:31 PM »
Anybody have a Google Pixel?  I've had my iPhone 6 for about 3.5 years now and it's slow as dirt.  My entire law practice runs on Google so I'm considering switching to Android, but have hardly looked into anything beyond the Pixel.

We are likely going Pixel 2 sometime in the next couple months (H and I both are ready for new phones).

We have a Google Nexus and LG something horrible currently. 

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2018, 05:44:25 AM »
Late to the game but I'll throw one in the hat for the Moto X4 (saw it mentioned once above).

I really believe this is the best phone I've owned. My wife loved it so much after I got it, she got one for herself too. I'm like you - I have an insanely hard time researching and committing to a product.

Ignore the reviews, the camera is very good. Takes better pictures than our previous Samsungs. I can easily get a day out of it with light use too.

I can also personally speak to the water resistance, our 15 month old got a hold of it and thought it would be funny to dunk it in a cup of water.

Something to consider about Motorolas - Motorola recently released a very extensive line of OEM replacement parts, tools, and guides for sale through a third party vendor. They want you to fix your phone. The X4 also comes with nearly stock Android, so it receives security updates much sooner than most other Android phones.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2018, 11:08:27 PM »
If I compare to Moto G6 and X4 with the Sony xperia XZ1, the XZ1 looks like the better phone with specs. XZ1 and X4 have the same price, about $350, while the G6 is $300.

The XZ1 has a side mounted fingerprint scanner, which perhaps makes it more difficult to use a silicone pouch around it, but I guess I can just cut that out if nevessary. Maybe I should go for it anyway, instead of paying 150$ more for a camera with OIS.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8804&idPhone2=9000&idPhone3=8634

Edit: my conclusion was a bit fast. The camera on the XZ1 is less light sensitive than the Motos.

Edit2: There are just so many phones to consider that I'm going nuts. I need to make a Matrix with weighted requirements. And then see which phone comes out best. And then I probably buy the cheapest flagship phone on sale on Black Friday. If I can get a very good phone for $350, I'd be happy.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 12:52:58 AM by Linda_Norway »

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2018, 06:18:44 AM »
I sympathize with your matrix. My old phone's (Galaxy S5) micro USB port broke early last year. I call it the last great phone with a removable battery. I was able to use an external charger and a spare battery for almost a year, but the external charger was not OEM and died after about 3 months. After my third external charger died, I said enough is enough - I spent a full week with my head spinning trying to figure out the best phone.

Also keep in mind that the battery is actually replaceable on most sealed phones, it just is a more involved process. Replacement kits come with a heat pouch that you microwave than then rest on the phone to delaminate the screen, once you have the screen separated, the replacement process is about 15 to 20 minutes if you have patient hands. The kits also come with glue to reseal the screen.

Just something to keep in mind - you could get a less expensive phone and replace the battery after ~2 years. If something goes wrong with the replacement, at worst you usually lose the full water resistance. If you really screw it up, a $350 phone that's two years old is a lot cheaper to replace.

All that being said, I too came to the conclusion that OnePlus was the best phone. At the time, the 5T was being phased out and when OnePlus is out of stock, they're out of stock. I wasn't about to wait 2 months for the 6 to drop.   

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2018, 06:52:26 AM »
We intend to learn how to swap the battery. I would accept that the waterproofness could be compromised after a DIY battery swap.
If I tweak on my matrix values, the Samsung S7 also scores very high, despite not supporting Android 9. Higher than the Samsung S8, because of the much lower price.

I don't think the screen is replaceable by oneself. I see lots of Samsung S8s with broken screen for sale. I heard that it costs like 400$ to replace the screen. That alone is a good argument for a cheaper phone. Although I am generally a careful person and intend to use a silicon cover.

CalBal

• Handlebar Stache
  • Dont Panic
    • Journal
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2018, 05:02:45 PM »
I don't know if this is helpful at all, but I have a Samsung Galaxy Halo. It might be a vendor specific phone (mine came from Cricket Wireless in the US) but there is probably some similar generally available. I don't know if it ticks all your boxes. It does not have a replaceable battery. But it only ("only", hahaha) cost $150 and it does a very good job. I've heard it is very similar to the Galaxy S7.

I think you might be suffering from analysis paralysis. Decide which of the things in your matrix really, REALLY are the most important, look at the Black Friday (or Cyber Monday) sales and just go for it. There will never be a perfect choice.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2018, 07:54:05 PM »
I sympathize with your matrix. My old phone's (Galaxy S5) micro USB port broke early last year. I call it the last great phone with a removable battery. I was able to use an external charger and a spare battery for almost a year, but the external charger was not OEM and died after about 3 months. After my third external charger died, I said enough is enough - I spent a full week with my head spinning trying to figure out the best phone.

Also keep in mind that the battery is actually replaceable on most sealed phones, it just is a more involved process. Replacement kits come with a heat pouch that you microwave than then rest on the phone to delaminate the screen, once you have the screen separated, the replacement process is about 15 to 20 minutes if you have patient hands. The kits also come with glue to reseal the screen.

Just something to keep in mind - you could get a less expensive phone and replace the battery after ~2 years. If something goes wrong with the replacement, at worst you usually lose the full water resistance. If you really screw it up, a $350 phone that's two years old is a lot cheaper to replace.

All that being said, I too came to the conclusion that OnePlus was the best phone. At the time, the 5T was being phased out and when OnePlus is out of stock, they're out of stock. I wasn't about to wait 2 months for the 6 to drop.

I have had a OnePlus 3T, 5, and now a 6T (T-Mobile gave me a $300 trade-in credit for my old / unusable Nexus 6, which made it an easy call). I really like them.  I will be selling my OP5 shortly, once it comes back from its RMA for the WideVine/Netflix HD update.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2018, 12:39:23 AM »
I talked a bit more with DH about my next phone. He thinks the number of mega pixels on the camera is irrelevant for my main use (posting mushroom pictures on facebook). But he thinks I should focus on diafragma size and PDAF. Apparently PDAF is auto focus on depth for close up pictures, which I make a lot. While OIS is correction for shaky hands while taking a picture with long shutter time. Battery time is still a major factor for me, as is support for recent Android versions.
I guess I will end up buying one of the high end models that it most on sale next Friday.

By the way, DH commented that if I had counted 20$ per hour for all the hours I have spent researching phones, I could have not spent them and bought a very expensive phone.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 03:57:01 AM by Linda_Norway »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2018, 11:22:28 AM »
I had just decided today to buy either the LG G6 or LG V30, because of being shock resistant. I had almost bought it.

But today, DH saw that a new phone, the Sony XZ2 compact was on sale with 210$ discount. Price was now exectly within my original budget, symplified valuta conversion: 300$. The phone gets lots of good reviews and is more modern than the other phones I looked at. This is such a good deal that I ordered it. The seller is a shop with decent customer help that I preferred to use.

Waterproof, good camera, good video, Android 8, fast and a little bit smaller than my current phone. According to a review, it is the best premium phone that you can handle easily with one hand.
Now I will stop comparing it with other phones.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 11:58:19 AM by Linda_Norway »