Author Topic: Mustachian sports bra?  (Read 5026 times)

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
Mustachian sports bra?
« on: March 15, 2017, 09:28:47 AM »
It appears that Patagonia has changed my beloved Active Mesh bra. The more recent reviews are full of complaints about the new style (as it relates to function, not appearance). I have several that I got on sale a few years ago. They're not wearing out, but all of my other sports bras (a random assortment from TJ Maxx) are. I travel for 10-12 days at a time for work, and re-wearing or doing laundry are not options, so I need to take enough with me to have one per day.

Lady Mustachians, do you have any recommendations?

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian sports bra?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 09:50:11 AM »
Perceived quality/function can vary by size, and so does the acceptable price tag, but I  got a couple Moving Comfort bras on sale at REI last spring for something like $20-35. I love the firm support they offer and the fact that they have "C/D cup" size options. I've also seen them on Sierra Trading Post, but don't need more yet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 05:45:11 PM by galliver »

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 12:34:23 PM »
Hand washing can work while traveling for smaller articles of clothing like bras and undies.  Although I do re-wear my sports bras several times.  Enough times until I forget how long I've been re-wearing them, and finally throw them in the wash.  My "real" sports bras for high impact activities are moving comfort brand.  But I've got a petite chest- I normally wear a 28D or 28DD.  If you are bustier, you may need more support.

blahblahblah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 06:08:24 PM »
I've been happy with the quality of a couple Oakley and Athleta ones, secure, comfy, minimal uni-boob effect, going on 5 or 6 years with the original purchase and weekly+ use.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 09:45:55 AM »
Actually, one of my favorite sports bras came from the Champion line at Target. I had shown up at a hockey tournament forgetting to pack any and had to make due with what I could find on a moment's notice... I was pleasantly surprised. I have small boobs and need high impact coverage though and don't care about uniboob or look.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 11:15:31 AM »
Costco generally has a 2-pack of Champion bras. They are much like honeybbq said in that they really hold everything in and aren't terribly attractive. No bounce in a Champion. But I like them well enough, and they aren't too expensive.

KM77

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 06:41:53 PM »
I'll third the Target champion line. I've had a few for several years and they're holding up just swimmingly, do the job, and are comfortable.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 06:53:55 PM »
I ended up really liking this bra from amazon. I have a smaller-than-average rib/under boob measurement and a lot of sports bras I've tried on don't even touch my ribs. This one does a great job of holding everything in place, A+ effective compression. Uniboob effect may vary (for me the compression is enough that I'm just flat).

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 06:57:10 PM »
I also love the Target C9 by Champion line and I have a large cup size (F/G).

I buy this one: http://www.target.com/p/women-s-power-shape-max-high-support-front-close-sports-bra-c9-champion/-/A-50445332

They just clearanced a few of the colors and picked up like 6 new ones for $8, but even full price ($24) they work for me. I don't run or do crossfit, but for walk/jog, lifting, yoga and biking they are very supportive and comfortable for me. I don't care about uniboob since I would rather be supported, but I don't believe they are that bad. The only quibble would be that these are zip fronts and the zipper pull might be an annoying lump under a shirt, but again I could care less since they are supportive and comfortable. I'm sure if you have a smaller sizing, the other styles of their C9 line might work better and be more stylish, but this one is the best one for my shape and needs.

And as long as you have 3 ish in number packed for trips, you can wash these in the shower with your body soap or shampoo when you're traveling. Wash and rinse out well, hang dry and should be good to go again in 1-2 days. Or get real fancy and pack a small bottle (or purchase there) some handwashing detergent and wash them in the sink and air dry. I did it all the time when traveling.

Had some of these going on 2 years and doing fantastic. I do handwash and hang dry exclusively tho.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 07:00:42 PM by Frankies Girl »

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 11:36:11 AM »
Perceived quality/function can vary by size, and so does the acceptable price tag, but I  got a couple Moving Comfort bras on sale at REI last spring for something like $20-35. I love the firm support they offer and the fact that they have "C/D cup" size options. I've also seen them on Sierra Trading Post, but don't need more yet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bra's are like running shoes IMHO what works for one does not work for others.  The material in M/C bras chaff me big time.  Nike ones that I often get at the outlet store work well for me.

Vicster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Ebrat

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 09:24:58 AM »
They just changed my go-to, the Moving Comfort (now Brooks) Juno. Which means the old style is on clearance right now. They're great if you can find one in your size, or maybe you can find the old style of your favorite on clearance?

brycedoula

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 11:45:49 AM »
Is it for running?

If so this is one of the best I've used so far ....

I'm from UK, so don't know if they have them there....'Shock Absorber' Ultimate Run Bra

http://www.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/ultimate-run-bra-by-shock-absorber-6213703?geoip=noredirect&cmpid=ppc_pla_UK_ip&utm_medium=cpc&tsrc=vdna&istCompanyId=38aa0d7f-6514-4cb3-bbdc-df0d32d48b7f&istItemId=xipwrxattm&istBid=tztx&gclid=Cj0KEQjw2LjGBRDYm9jj5JSxiJcBEiQAwKWAC-IMZoFlyu6jzLRAn5vnfJDutgViBGEG9VKsr3MSFfYaAmDN8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

+1 for this bra! While not particularly Mustachian (I paid ~$80 CAD for my last one) if taken care of properly it will last a LONG time. My first SA running bra lasted me 5+ years (including 2 half-marathon trainings/races), and I only had to replace it due to pregnancy/nursing changing my *ahem* dimensions.

Money well spent, IMO.

spicykissa

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 02:01:59 PM »
I also love the Target Champion stuff. My Goodwill has an agreement with the local Target where they get bulk donations of things that didn't sell on clearance, and they always have some of these. I haven't had any trouble with them, except when I tried to squeeze myself into the wrong size because I really liked a particular color (dumb!).

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 08:09:12 PM »
I also love the Target C9 by Champion line and I have a large cup size (F/G).

I buy this one: http://www.target.com/p/women-s-power-shape-max-high-support-front-close-sports-bra-c9-champion/-/A-50445332

These ones just got rave reviews in a running magazine article I read too! Maybe I'll order one or two next time I need

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 07:11:12 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions! And yes, I should have mentioned it's for running.

snellbert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 09:33:13 PM »
I'm a big fan of the Lululemon Run Stuff Your Bra. Definitely not cheap at about $58 a pop, but I won't run in anything else-- they're the only bra that's never caused me to chafe while running (and I've had boobs of all sizes from current size A to a D after babies). I wear sports bras 95% of the time (even when not exercising) and after 2 years of daily wear, I haven't had any stretching or wearing-out problems. (Note: The "Stuff your bra" name is because there's a mesh pocket in the front you can stick stuff in when you're running-- I like it because I can use it for pepper spray or keys when I run, but it lays flat just fine when it's empty as well.)

Good luck!