Author Topic: Mustachian Relocation Guide  (Read 97271 times)

BMW Jalopy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Mustachian Relocation Guide
« Reply #250 on: July 15, 2018, 11:24:35 PM »
City, State, Country:
Henderson, NV

If a suburb, distance from city:
Borders Clark County, which most people think of as Las Vegas

Average housing cost (specify rent or buy):
In Henderson or Summerlin, the main areas you'd want to live, currently $300K for a very small house, rising to literally whatever you want to spend. That small house would rent for $1600. Note that the house/rent prices boom and bust at roughly a 2X1 ratio every 10 years or so. We are presumably at the top of the cycle right now.

Indoor Hobbies:
Drinking, gambling, lots of restaurants, non-moustachian $120/seat stage shows, superb high school drama productions, lots of churches and a few cults (You know how you can tell if you're in a cult? Good news! You're not in one. Yours is the true faith - it's those weird clowns worshiping across the street that are in a cult.) There's a scrabble club that plays lots of moldy oldies from the 1950s, an emerging board games scene, brew pubs, opportunities to serve at homeless shelters, dog rescue, typical stuff for a medium size city.

Outdoor Hobbies: Lots of hiking, skiing, bicycling, motor racing of all descriptions, iron man competitions, bikini contests, water skiing, jet skiing, and if you sad sacks hadn't face punched me into selling my sailboat - sailboating on Lake Mead all year long.

Weather: Superb October thru May. A convection oven June thru September. Total rainfall ranges from 2 inches to 6 inches per year. Rainstorms often don't get the area under your car wet.

Favorite things: Very non-judgmental. Whatever your style, there's a place for you. A real melting pot. A huge number of really good mom n pop ethnic restaurants. Once you get plugged into your professional network, you make so much money it's hard to leave the city.

Least favorite things: The minute you leave Henderson city limits, there's homeless dudes all over the place, panhandling. Summers are brutal, you truly need epic level air conditioning at home and in your car. Old cars frequently die when their cooling system can't cope. All the touristy stuff and anything on The Strip are an overpriced ripoff. The "landscape rocks" covering all residential yards is hugely depressing. For a metro area of 2M people, there's very little culture in the way of museums, orchestras, etc. There's the Smith Center, but who can afford it.

'Must Try': Sailing on Lake Mead

Stupid ordinances/laws: This only came in when the megaweed corporations got recreational cannabis legalized: If there's a recreational dispensary within 25 miles of your house, you can't grow your own medicinal cannabis plants, even with your doctor's referral document.

Words of wisdom/Advice: Don't move here. Once you're networked professionally, you'll stay here way longer than any sane person would want to.

Sustainability options (gardening, solar, etc): Solar, aw hell yah. Gardens look great through June, then incinerate by fourth of July. Even on drip, only a few hardy herbs make it to September.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 11:27:59 PM by BMW Jalopy »

sisto

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #251 on: July 16, 2018, 09:58:53 AM »
I would love to have Merida, MEX added. Also love to hear about any places in MEX. Seriously considering relocating there post FIRE.

magnet18

• Stubble
« Reply #252 on: August 08, 2018, 09:27:56 AM »
I can chime in from Fort Wayne, IN.

• Fort Wayne, IN, USA
  • If a suburb, distance from city: N/A
    There are various suburbs, but they are all considered "in" the city. 
    Downtown is very small, not sure what's there, I almost never go there.  Southwest and northwest side of town is where I frequent.
    Southwest side if town is best for bike-ability, to things like grocery stores and parks.
    There are also various commuter towns, I am fond of churubusco, when I lived in town there it was a 15 minute drive to my engineering job in Fort Wayne, at 60mph the whole way.
  • Average housing cost (specify rent or buy):CHEAP!!!
    Fort Wayne has some of the lowest cost of living in the country, a mustachian should be able to build their dream house here for $200K
  • Indoor Hobbies: Whatever you want?
    Land is cheap, housing is cheap, no reason not to have as much indoor space as you want, including barns if you're into working on your own cars or big projects (especially in the winter)

Easy to grow crops for your own brewing.
  • Outdoor Hobbies:require a mustachian attitude
    Plenty of gardening or homesteading options
    Winters here suck.  Not that they're too cold or snowy to do anything, they suck in that it's not cold enough for long enough.  Snow-thaw-repeat all winter long.

There are plenty of state parks in weekend-trip distance, i live close enough to one for afternoon hikes.
    Kayaking and watersports aplenty in the summer.
    The mountain biking scene is probably similar to that in any Midwest City... Tame... Because it's flat
  • Weather (High Temps, Low Temps, Seasons, Sun):REPLACE ME
    Highs in the 100s and humid in the summer, drove to work at -20 one morning last winter, so you get the full range.

Noone brags about the weather here.

October-Christmas is delightful though.
  • Favorite things:
    Cheap!  Lowest cost of living in the country.
    No smog checks!
    What are taxes?  Property ones are basically non-existent.
    Very clean air.
    A very clean city for the most part.
    Almost no crime.
    Almost no traffic.
    Almost no homelessness.
    A good clean well run conservative city.
  • Least favorite things:
    Winters
    There aren't many options for full time RVing
    Food is all mediocre and you'll wait 45 minutes to get seated anyway
    The average citizen is obese, uneducated, and driving an SUV
    You absolutely need a car to get by.  Not designed for bikes at all (newer parts of town are getting better)
    Standard Midwest sprawl.  Land is cheap, so buildings are big, spread out, and parking lots are huge
  • 'Must Try':
    Can't think of anything
  • Stupid ordinances/laws:
    Can't think of anything
  • Words of wisdom/Advice:
    Can't think of anything
  • Sustainability options (gardening, solar, etc):
    Could definitely profit from solar, but it would be a challenge to go 100% off grid (not impossible)
    Gardens grow like crazy, and greenhouses could be easy in the winter.
    Could heat with wood for free.
    Water is free and infinite, most people have wells.
[/quote]

TxAg70

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #253 on: August 11, 2018, 11:25:21 AM »
I would like to request Ft. Worth, TX. I could move there from my job in more rural TX but housing costs are probably gonna be a bit higher and I'd like some idea from the mustachians in Ft. Worth about where to look.

aashusharma1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #254 on: August 15, 2018, 07:16:56 AM »
Hi All,

A relocation related question not really info on the cities. How about the adding info on the investment landscape if we are moving across countries. Also what to do with investments we have currently.

In my case I am planning to move to Canada in an year or two and i was wondering when i make that move I will have to withdraw from my 401, HSA and multiple Roth accounts which i am currently max-ing out. And that will entail penalties as i am withdrawing before retirement. What should be my strategy,
----should I reduce my contributions to the HSA -assuming i may still have medical needs till i move
----Reduce 401 contribution just enough to get the employer match
----Stop contributing to Roth IRA accounts?
----Should i invest more in individual stocks in the meanwhile

All this would mean more cash in hand which i can put in CDs etc and it will be easy to move when i finally move to Canada.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, I'm Canadian
    • The Rich Moose | A Better Canadian Finance Blog
« Reply #255 on: August 15, 2018, 09:24:07 AM »
Hi All,

A relocation related question not really info on the cities. How about the adding info on the investment landscape if we are moving across countries. Also what to do with investments we have currently.

In my case I am planning to move to Canada in an year or two and i was wondering when i make that move I will have to withdraw from my 401, HSA and multiple Roth accounts which i am currently max-ing out. And that will entail penalties as i am withdrawing before retirement. What should be my strategy,
----should I reduce my contributions to the HSA -assuming i may still have medical needs till i move
----Reduce 401 contribution just enough to get the employer match
----Stop contributing to Roth IRA accounts?
----Should i invest more in individual stocks in the meanwhile

All this would mean more cash in hand which i can put in CDs etc and it will be easy to move when i finally move to Canada.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers

US-Canada tax arrangements can be very complicated and often require an accountant specializing in cross border moves to get things done efficiently and correctly.
A better thread might be the Canada Tax thread on this forum as some other Mustachians have done/are doing this move.

jscott2135

• Stubble
« Reply #256 on: August 25, 2018, 07:52:16 PM »
Currently live in Bend, OR.  Since this post was originally made, Bend has gotten even more crowded and home prices have gone up a bit. But I love my home state to death and having lived in Eugene, Hillsboro and now Bend am happy to help answer any questions about these areas as well!

azu612

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #257 on: September 23, 2018, 10:11:57 AM »
Anyone have any information on locations in New Hampshire and Vermont?

dougules

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #258 on: September 25, 2018, 11:39:02 AM »
Since there was a request for Huntsville, I'll put in my 2 as a native.  Full disclosure, I'm not really enamored with it, and a driver for FIRE for me is to be able to move somewhere that's a better fit.  I'll try to be neutral since the area is good for some people.  A different take from somebody else in the area wouldn't be a bad thing. 

Huntsville, Alabama

Average housing cost: This gets us to the best part first.  It's easy to find a decent smaller older house for <$100k, maybe a tad more if you want new, big, and/or a better school district.  $200k will buy you something big and fancy. 

Indoor Hobbies:  Lots of nerdy pursuits.  If you want to 3D print a detailed 6ft replica of the Millenium Falcon or fab PCBs in your garage, this is the place for you.  Craft beer is a thing in a lot of places now, but Huntsville is keeping up in that arena.

Outdoor Hobbies: The area is decent here.  The city nestles up to a mountain with a large state park.  The Tennessee River is big and is great for water activities.  Plenty of smaller rivers for canoes and kayaks.  Plenty of hiking around including trails that start only a mile from downtown.  It's one of the best places in the country for spelunking, or does this go under "indoor hobbies"?  Gardening is popular.  Hunting and fishing are big here.  If you're into football, you'll feel right at home.

Weather: At least it's not boring.  The one guarantee is that it will be steamy from May to September.  We don't really have spring and fall  so much as random switches back and forth between winter and summer.  Winter can be just about anything.  Pick a number between 10 and 70.  Then pick a completely different number the next day.  Snow and ice is on average only about once every other winter although it's unpredictable.  It's a big event when it does snow.  We actually get more total average rainfall than Seattle, but the average doesn't tell the story.  It can be gloomy for a month straight, but it can also be sunny for a month straight.  Really, though, most of it comes in storms that pop up, drain a lake somewhere in heaven, then go away.  The storms can also be pretty strong.  The area is just as much a part of tornado alley as Oklahoma or Kansas.  Our tornadoes aren't the pretty ones, though.  They come at night hidden behind a curtain of blinding rain and hail.  Also, it's not necessarily weather, but in April the pollen is thick enough to look like yellow paint.  Allergy sufferers, you've been warned.

Favorite things:  I actually really enjoy thunderstorms.  Very lush and green.  Housing is dirt cheap.  Good for hiking and canoeing.  Great place to nerd out. 

Least Favorite things:  Transportation=driving.  Lots of sprawl.  Far right politics.  Can we talk about something other than football, fishing, or church?  The most expensive airport in the country. 

Must Try:  Southern food.  Locals will roll their eyes, but yes, you should see our real Saturn V rocket. We have the largest antebellum district in Alabama. 

Stupid ordinances/laws:  9% sales tax to fund all the asphalt.  Schools aren't very good. 

Words of Wisdom:  What you think of the area very much depends on who you are.  People who are more likely to like it here are those who don't mind driving, are focused on LCOL over other factors, don't mind hot weather, don't have allergy issues, enjoy college football, and those who are nerdy, religious, married, conservative, or introverted.  The more of those that fit you, the more likely you are to enjoy being here. 

Sustainability:  Not really a big thing here. The nerd factor does make for some interest in electric cars and solar energy, though. 

Some comments on various surrounding areas:  It's rural Alabama and Tennessee, so I think you have some idea.  It is relatively cheap in the area to live on a lake front, with a mountain top view, or on a large plot of land.  Smith Lake and Guntersville are popular areas along those lines.