Author Topic: Microwave Toast  (Read 9429 times)

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
Microwave Toast
« on: March 05, 2018, 06:38:04 PM »
Howdy! Has anyone gotten reliable toast out of the microwave?  Is there something you bought/use to make the toast.  It has to be still soft inside and toasty on the outside, but not black.

My son is going to college, and his go-to breakfast is a fried or scrambled egg, piece of toast, glass of milk, and a piece of fruit. He eats this 4-5 days per week.  Other days he sleeps through breakfast or eats cold cereal.  It seems crazy to spend $120/month for breakfast when there is a dorm plan that's $120/month cheaper with 12 meals and $15 whenever food instead of the unlimited meal plan. 

There's also a grocery store about 3 blocks away from his probable dorm.  Of note - he can take out 1 drink and 1 snack (fruit) from the dining hall on his way out each meal.

So, this semi-mustachian mom thinks that breakfast should be in his room vs. in the dining hall since it's the cheapest meal of the day, breakfast hours at the dining halls are limited, and he eats basically the same thing each day. A loaf or two of bread ($2), some butter ($2), and a dozen eggs ($2), a box of Frosted Flakes ($2) and he'd be set for the month for under $10.  He's up for the plan....Every dollar over a certain amount is his to pay, so this would save him approximately 10 hours of working for money each month if he can make it happen.

I found an egg maker for the microwave ($5) that actually works way better than any fry pan for over medium eggs and cleans up super easy/quick. The milk and fruit he can get from the cafeteria during one of his other meals.

The toast is the sticking point. I see a "Reheatza" pan that's $40 new (of course I'd find one on Craigslist between now and August for cheaper), but I don't want to buy something if it won't work.   

I figured another mustachian college student would have this one figured out. FWIW, I asked if there was a communal toaster anywhere, and the answer was "no" but you could "rent" the kitchen for $10. Umm....no.

I even told my son if he could figure this out he might be able to sell eggs and toast to other students for $1.5-$2.00 or something and make decent $.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
Re: Microwave Toast
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 07:13:26 PM »
I know they make one slice toasters I wanted to get one for my office.

ginger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 07:52:42 PM »
Is he limited by the number of appliances he can have in his dorm room? It seems easy enough to pick up a toaster from a thrift shop or yard sale, but I'm guessing you would have considered that already, so there must be a dorm rule in play here. It seems equally as easy to swap out the toast for another source of inexpensive calories that fares better in the microwave (quick oats come to mind).

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 08:07:05 PM »
The only appliances he can have are the microwave and a blowdryer (and curling iron, but he's not a girl).  I wonder if you could use a really wide flat iron to make toast....That would probably be awkward to explain, right?

They specifically exclude the George Forman type appliances, toasters, and toaster ovens. Microwaves are even limited to 800 watts.

Someone on my journal mentioned an actual iron. I did look, and it was not on the prohibited list.  It doesn't sound especially safe, though.  Desperate times and all, right?

I should have asked about something to substitute. He is amenable to freezer waffles or freezer pancakes.  Toast is his favorite though.

I will be experimenting with an iron this week.  That's an interesting option. He'd never actually iron clothes with it. lol.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 08:46:42 PM »
Success!  After 3 attempts, we have a winner for the toast made by an iron as judged by my 3 kids.  Toast was dessert tonight.

The iron, set on high takes 6 minutes for lightly toasted on both sides.  If you ever need to make toast in a hotel room, this is pretty good!

I put aluminum foil and wrapped it under and over a vintage "Wonder Shredder" grater which is about 5"x9" long. 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/582840574/wonder-shredder?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_e-home_and_living-other&utm_custom1=168c7be8-5d77-48ac-9d16-39a9f50f6942&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5q2WmeTW2QIVhx2BCh0vqAvVEAQYBCABEgKFffD_BwE (This is about what mine looks like)

It is vented which allowed the toast to steam out the bottom as the iron was on it. (Earlier versions were a bit soggy when just wrapped in aluminum foil.) 

It is also tastier if you hold the iron slightly above the top layer of aluminum foil so as to not squish the bread.  We also tried a version where we just let the iron sit on the toast, and it was "ok". It is not as good as holding the iron up above the toast.  I suspect my son will be lazy and use the flattened version in his dorm. 

It was a bit labor intensive, so if there actually was a "set it and forget it" microwave version someone has come up with I would still like feedback.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 07:55:15 AM »
I know dorms limit appliances to reduce the risk of a fire, but when it leads to solutions like this I'm realllyyy skeptical about that policy. A toaster would be a much better option. I hope your son will be careful doing this, I'd hate to see him forget the iron and go do something else while the bread toasts. Seems silly that the dorm doesn't have a communal kitchen on each floor with a few basic appliances.

SmallCheese

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 09:17:49 AM »
Just get the toaster and hide it. I hid a turtle in an aquarium in my dorm for a year so I'm pretty sure he can get away with a toaster.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 12:55:38 PM »
Is a waffle iron specifically prohibited?

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 03:52:47 PM »
Is a waffle iron specifically prohibited?
Yes...Boo, I know.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 03:54:30 PM »
I know dorms limit appliances to reduce the risk of a fire, but when it leads to solutions like this I'm realllyyy skeptical about that policy. A toaster would be a much better option. I hope your son will be careful doing this, I'd hate to see him forget the iron and go do something else while the bread toasts. Seems silly that the dorm doesn't have a communal kitchen on each floor with a few basic appliances.

I know. I think they should offer white bread with a toaster for free on all floors as an amenity considering how much they are charging for a shared dorm room!

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 04:14:33 PM »
I'm pretty sure I'd solve this by eating untoasted buttered bread.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 07:00:08 PM »
Your son will probably sleep in until noon and eat leftover pizza, or not eat breakfast at all. Chill.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 07:04:28 PM »
Success!  After 3 attempts, we have a winner for the toast made by an iron as judged by my 3 kids.  Toast was dessert tonight.

The iron, set on high takes 6 minutes for lightly toasted on both sides.  If you ever need to make toast in a hotel room, this is pretty good!

I put aluminum foil and wrapped it under and over a vintage "Wonder Shredder" grater which is about 5"x9" long. 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/582840574/wonder-shredder?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_e-home_and_living-other&utm_custom1=168c7be8-5d77-48ac-9d16-39a9f50f6942&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5q2WmeTW2QIVhx2BCh0vqAvVEAQYBCABEgKFffD_BwE (This is about what mine looks like)

It is vented which allowed the toast to steam out the bottom as the iron was on it. (Earlier versions were a bit soggy when just wrapped in aluminum foil.) 

It is also tastier if you hold the iron slightly above the top layer of aluminum foil so as to not squish the bread.  We also tried a version where we just let the iron sit on the toast, and it was "ok". It is not as good as holding the iron up above the toast.  I suspect my son will be lazy and use the flattened version in his dorm. 

It was a bit labor intensive, so if there actually was a "set it and forget it" microwave version someone has come up with I would still like feedback.

Also, the ironing toast thing is weird, but why on earth would you ever use a hotel iron to make toast? Good heavens.

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 07:14:42 PM »
If anything I'd think this toasting method would make him a bit of a celebrity around the dorm, rather than 'that weird guy'. Then again, my roommate and I installed wood paneling, brass coach lamps and brought in a console TV, so consider the source ; )

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 07:22:54 PM »
I have one of these;
https://www.etsy.com/listing/527045449/
but it's (very) old and not quite big enough for toast

Amazon has these:
https://www.amazon.com/Microwave-Sandwich-Cooker-Fast-Heating-Grill-Sausage/dp/B01M155N6V
I'm sure there are others that are similar

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 11:03:43 AM »
Your son will probably sleep in until noon and eat leftover pizza, or not eat breakfast at all. Chill.

This. Seriously OP, your bigger concern is that the kid never does laundry. The boy's dorms were GROSS in just about every possible way.

Just buy a small toaster. Plenty of people had microwaves in my dorms. Microwaves were specifically prohibited.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 06:33:50 PM »
these look great
I have one of these;
https://www.etsy.com/listing/527045449/
but it's (very) old and not quite big enough for toast

Amazon has these:
https://www.amazon.com/Microwave-Sandwich-Cooker-Fast-Heating-Grill-Sausage/dp/B01M155N6V
I'm sure there are others that are similar
These look great!

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 06:40:48 PM »
DH and I just ignored the restrictions and had a mini fridge and electronic skillet plus a hot pot. We just kept the cooking stuff put away out of sight when not in use. We cooked most of our meals in our rooms with zero problems. Never had anyone inspect to see what we had. My guess is that it probably still isn't very enforced and only used if 1, the roommate complains or 2, a fire is started. A small toaster is probably way safer than an iron.

Trying2bFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2018, 07:55:26 AM »
In my home, we completely want to come out of Microwave cooking/heating.
While not going into scientific reasons, but me and wife agreed that if something changed in genetic (GMO) is harmful in long run, a molecule heating using electromagnetic waves doesnt sound right. Also just that the food taste so much better when we do cook regularly.

I know its not what you want to read in this thread, but just a request to reduce the usage of MW.

sailinlight

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018, 08:06:44 AM »
While not going into scientific reasons, but me and wife agreed that if something changed in genetic (GMO) is harmful in long run, a molecule heating using electromagnetic waves doesnt sound right. Also just that the food taste so much better when we do cook regularly.

I know its not what you want to read in this thread, but just a request to reduce the usage of MW.

You should probably do some more research on this. Sunlight is electromagnetic waves. And there are many studies showing that microwaved vegetables retain more nutrients than cooked on a stovetop.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2018, 08:22:29 AM »

This is complete nonsense. Microwaves literally just excite water molecules in food to raise the temperature, there's nothing insidious going on inside that little box.
GMOs are also nothing to be afraid of, we have just figured out more efficient ways to transfer useful traits into foods to enhance their properties. Humans have been genetically modifying foods for thousands of years in less efficient ways through crossbreeding, now with scientific advancement we can focus on individual portions of DNA and create precise changes. I encourage you to do some basic research on those topics.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 08:40:56 AM »

You should probably do some more research on this. Sunlight is electromagnetic waves. And there are many studies showing that microwaved vegetables retain more nutrients than cooked on a stovetop.
+ 1000 (watts, that is). I call total BS on the taste comment, especially when reheating. I cook regularly, too. I also like to use actual science to make decisions. Luckily, we live in a free country, so you can do you, and I'll keep doing me. Absent hard facts, your request is politely declined.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2018, 08:50:09 AM »
Hey remember the Johnny Depp movie Benny and Joon where they iron toast or sandwiches?  Funny, but not a route I would go IRL.

LostGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2018, 09:55:43 AM »
I think the requirements are based on not overloading the electrical. Toasters pull a lot of amps and can trip the breaker if lots of people are using. In my dorm there was one in the common room too and that was ages ago!

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2018, 10:14:31 AM »

They specifically exclude the George Forman type appliances, toasters, and toaster ovens. Microwaves are even limited to 800 watts.
You sound surprised at the limits. The reason is a normal 15 amp circuit at 120 V has a max of 1800 watts available (Ampps*volts=watts). In real life most circuits are less than that, around here my circuits are around 1700 watts. So a dorm with circuits servicing 2 rooms could have 2 microwaves running at the same time only if both are under 800 watts, otherwise the breaker pops (2 microwaves drawing 1200 watts is bad).

The preamble about watts leads to the toaster problem. A typical toaster runs higher than 800 watts, up to 1200 watts, so if you plug into a circuit with a microwave and cook at the same time, you're likely fine. However, if the neighbour also happens to turn on his microwave to cook breakfast, a breaker will pop. Thats when you get busted for your appliances, when you start popping circuits. Try it at home, plug the toaster, microwave and a third high watt apliance into the same ciruit and watch your lights go out. I have a toaster oven and a microwave plugged into a circuit at home, only one at a time can be used. 

The solution, never run them at the same time to avoid blowing a circuit. The quickest way to annoy the authorities is to continously make them reset breakers.

Trying2bFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2018, 10:18:39 AM »
This is complete nonsense. Microwaves literally jus..

I am not into science anymore and not trying to prove any.
If it works for you, its fine. MW is still red in my book.

Just as FYI, MW & electronics are my major during my college days.

remizidae

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2018, 11:55:29 PM »
I had an illegal toaster oven in my dorm. It would just get stashed under the bed during room inspections once a semester. My RA knew about it and frequently came over for cookie parties. You are definitely overthinking this. Buy the kid some cereal if you really don't want to break the rules.

Seconding this. We're not talking about the Ten Commandments, this is a college dorm rule that is almost certainly not enforced. Buy the kid a $5 toaster from the thrift store. In the unlikely event that it gets confiscated, he can buy another. My college had a rule against hard liquor in the dorms. Didn't prevent me from having an extensive gin collection :)

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2018, 09:45:53 AM »
Thanks everyone for chiming in.  I am a rule follower - my roommate got kicked out of the dorm back in my college days.  It was traumatic.  Police and investigations were involved. I was not at fault, nor was I aware of anything more than her having a guy in the shower.

A toaster is not worth getting kicked out over. ;-)

I like the amazon sandwich griller - or the nordicware hamburger. They both sound pretty reasonable, with the Nordicware version seeming a bit safer if bulker.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Two weeks until Spring Break and our college visits in CA.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2018, 09:49:49 AM »
Thanks everyone for chiming in.  I am a rule follower - my roommate got kicked out of the dorm back in my college days.  It was traumatic.  Police and investigations were involved. I was not at fault, nor was I aware of anything more than her having a guy in the shower.

I like the amazon sandwich griller - or the nordicware hamburger. They both sound pretty reasonable, with the Nordicware version seeming a bit safer if bulker.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Two weeks until Spring Break and our college visits in CA.

Ya, I think it's safe to say you won't get kicked out of college for a toaster.

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2018, 10:24:15 AM »
Instead of bending over backwards trying to find a way to make toast without a toaster, how about switching to breakfast burritos? They have the added advantage of being more portable, too.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2018, 07:13:32 PM »
Instead of bending over backwards trying to find a way to make toast without a toaster, how about switching to breakfast burritos? They have the added advantage of being more portable, too.
Have you succeeded in getting a teen to do anything they don't want to do?!?
And have you verified that they did it when they were left to their own devices?!?
If so, how about you write a book ...

sailinlight

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2018, 07:15:24 PM »
And have you verified that they did it when they were left to their own devices?!?
Well the flipside to this argument is that an 18 year old in college should be able to figure out how to make his own breakfast with the tools and ingredients he has available to him

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2018, 12:35:29 PM »
Former RA here: Just give the kid a toaster. I would never "bust" anyone for having a flipping toaster in their room. The only way he gets caught is if he burns toast frequently. Sounds like he knows how to toast things already, so he won't be a moron.

Our rules were "no open coils" and i knew plenty of kids with toasters, toaster ovens, and loads of pizza ovens/pizza pizaazes. One kid even had a huge box popcorn maker (great fun for dorm parties).

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2018, 01:34:15 PM »

Whoa, friend. I'm just offering an alternative.

I am certainly not suggesting that OP should be breathing down her college student's neck to figure out whether he's eating burritos or making illicit toast. Give him a budget and then let that little bird go free...

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2018, 01:43:51 PM »

And does it really matter? Seriously, think back to when you were in college. Established routines and habits went out the window for EVERYONE. If the kid (or adult, depending on location and exact age) wants to eat breakfast, they'll figure it out.

They guys I knew in college that I can speak intelligently of - well, lets say hygiene and good eating habits were not priorities.

OP, if you've done your job as a parent, your son will figure it out. In fact, I'd encourage you to turn all of this stuff over to him to figure out. He's going to be an adult and on his own soon, and will HAVE to. Any amount of practice he can get now will only help him when he's on his own.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2018, 02:20:38 PM »

You sound surprised at the limits. The reason is a normal 15 amp circuit at 120 V has a max of 1800 watts available (Ampps*volts=watts). In real life most circuits are less than that, around here my circuits are around 1700 watts. So a dorm with circuits servicing 2 rooms could have 2 microwaves running at the same time only if both are under 800 watts, otherwise the breaker pops (2 microwaves drawing 1200 watts is bad).

The preamble about watts leads to the toaster problem. A typical toaster runs higher than 800 watts, up to 1200 watts, so if you plug into a circuit with a microwave and cook at the same time, you're likely fine. However, if the neighbour also happens to turn on his microwave to cook breakfast, a breaker will pop. Thats when you get busted for your appliances, when you start popping circuits. Try it at home, plug the toaster, microwave and a third high watt apliance into the same ciruit and watch your lights go out. I have a toaster oven and a microwave plugged into a circuit at home, only one at a time can be used. 

The solution, never run them at the same time to avoid blowing a circuit. The quickest way to annoy the authorities is to continously make them reset breakers.

Electronic appliances that many people brought to school when I was in university:
- Stereos
- PCs
- Space Heaters / Fans
- Lava Lamps
- Video game console
- TV
- Cable box / DVR

I think if everyone was running on a dinky 15 amp circuit they would be equally concerned about this stuff.  :P

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2018, 12:28:37 AM »

Likewise, a toaster isn't going to get anyone kicked out. It's small enough that one could hide it anyway.

YoungInvestor

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2018, 01:44:44 AM »
I'm pretty sure you could just claim ignorance of the rule and throw the toaster out in the remote event that anyone cared.

You're missing out a great chance to have him figure something with no consequences out on his own.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2018, 11:30:22 AM »

Electronic appliances that many people brought to school when I was in university:
- Stereos
- PCs
- Space Heaters / Fans
- Lava Lamps
- Video game console
- TV
- Cable box / DVR

I think if everyone was running on a dinky 15 amp circuit they would be equally concerned about this stuff.  :P
Maybe some dorms are running on 15 amp circuits, maybe some dorms have multiple dedicated circuits for each room. Just pointing out the 800 amp rule is coincidentally under 1/2 a circuit. On your list, only the space heater is over 1/2 a circuit, but only on high settings (my space heater at home is 750 watts on low). Or perhaps people bought smaller watt space heaters because they didn't want to roast running a large heater in a small room.

A lava lamp is 40 watts for example, a typical console is 120- 150 watts, a TV is 80-400 (bigger uses more). How would the low power appliances cause problems? The rules aren't to stop people from living and enjoying life, its reasonable to allow low power appliances in dorms, since they don't cause problems. I agree that all the appliances you listed were found in typical dorms at my university as well.

The same rules apply to houses, look up your local building code for kitchen counter top plugs. My local code require dedicated circuits for kitchen counters, because of the potential for high power appliances. Turning a bedroom into a kitchen is generally a bad idea for most houses, it usually requires renovations and electrical upgrades. I once saw an illegal basement suite that the Fire Department inspected; they took an axe to the hot plate and counter to help in the demo, it was a fire risk due to the potential for overloaded circuits.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2018, 11:45:19 AM »
What about hair dryers?  I seem to recall most of the girls using one of them, and I'd figure that the power draw must be similar to running a toaster.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2018, 11:50:22 AM »
Everyone can feel free to debate - DS decided to purchase the Amazon one.  He's a rule follower like his mom.

https://www.amazon.com/Microwave-Sandwich-Cooker-Fast-Heating-Grill-Sausage/dp/B01M155N6V#customerReviews

Since we've got 3 kids that will go through college, I figure this "toaster" purchase will get used for a long while....I'll report back after we've had a chance to use it for awhile.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2018, 11:51:14 AM »
What about hair dryers?  I seem to recall most of the girls using one of them, and I'd figure that the power draw must be similar to running a toaster.

Our rules were open coils to prevent fires. Less about electricity more about "safety."

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2018, 12:44:39 PM »
Everyone can feel free to debate - DS decided to purchase the Amazon one.  He's a rule follower like his mom.

https://www.amazon.com/Microwave-Sandwich-Cooker-Fast-Heating-Grill-Sausage/dp/B01M155N6V#customerReviews

Since we've got 3 kids that will go through college, I figure this "toaster" purchase will get used for a long while....I'll report back after we've had a chance to use it for awhile.

Really cool. Love it.

Get him http://a.co/ewMm856, he can even make pasta in the dorm.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2018, 12:56:38 PM »

+1
Everything you think you know about your children will change once they get out from under your roof. 

side note:  I would also eat one scrambled egg, one piece of toast, Milk, and fruit every.single.day so long as someone else cooked it for me.  Without that, I revert to cold pizza pretty quickly. 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2018, 12:58:53 PM »
Okay, this is my suggestion. Buy some loaves of bread and toast them at home. Toast them a little drier than he might like. Once cooled, put all the toast back into the bread bags. Put the loaves into a box and mail them to him every two weeks or so. He can pop toast in the microwave and warm up lightly like 20 seconds and have him leave the butter dish out so he can have soft butter to schmear onto the toast. You can send him other goodies in the box too...candy bars, popcorn, chips. If the toast is toasted pretty dry, then the bread should last a while. Do some experimentation before he goes to college.  Good luck!

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2018, 01:18:08 PM »

Glad to hear you got the dilemma solved.
Now, can you share a link to that microwave egg maker??

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2018, 01:36:32 PM »

Our rules were open coils to prevent fires. Less about electricity more about "safety."
Google says 800-1800 watts.

Its about finding reasonable compromises when large groups of people live together, not arbitrary rule making so you can punish people, most reasonable people only enact rules when there's a necessity. Is it reasonable to request smaller microwaves to alleviate power trips? Most people would agree its not that inconvenient. Is it reasonable to stop girls from drying their hair? That depends, do they blow dry in their rooms or on the GFCI circuits meant for that application in the bathroom (reasonable compromise, most dorms can install dedicated circuits that can be shared for hair dryers, its the same in hotels). In a room with shared beds (common at my school) having two girls share a power bar with two hair dryers on it would be a disaster. It would be annoying for them, the RA and the school; the biggest complaints would probably be "why didn't someone tell me this would happen?" Well, the university did when they sent out the 800 W rule. The solution was there the whole time, stagger the drying and you'll be fine, or stagger the microave and toaster and it won't cause problems. If staggering is difficult to coordinate, then abide by the rule. 

The power rule is meant to help the average student adjust to living in shared accomodations without being the person on the floor who trips power for others. No reasonable person want to inconvenience others out of ignorance.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2018, 02:50:07 PM »

+1
Everything you think you know about your children will change once they get out from under your roof. 

side note:  I would also eat one scrambled egg, one piece of toast, Milk, and fruit every.single.day so long as someone else cooked it for me.  Without that, I revert to cold pizza pretty quickly.

Funny - this is what he cooks himself most days. Today I did cook for him because there is a big test at school. He never eats cold pizza.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2018, 03:03:49 PM »
Former college RA here - I was more concerned about the booze and weed smell coming from loud rooms on the weekend and if the kids were acting loud and dumb. I saw plenty of toasters/coffee machines/microwaves/other prohibited items (I myself had a coffee maker in my room - totally not allowed), and I told my residents that if they were ever the cause of the fire, I'd get them if the fire didn't, but otherwise to not be stupid. Honestly, the worst thing that they'd do is confiscate it, so pick up a cheap toaster, tell him to hide it in his closet when he's not using it, and to not be dumb.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!