Author Topic: MetLife Legal plan for will & trust?  (Read 887 times)

Blue82

• Stubble
MetLife Legal plan for will & trust?
« on: May 18, 2020, 12:59:39 PM »

Finally have “making a will” on my to do list.  Is it worth it to enroll in the MetLife (formerly Hyatt) legal plan for $17/mo.  It’d be $204 for the year, and I could unenroll next year. 

I know I’d easily spend more than that if I went out and found my own will/trusts attorney, since I have a feeling our situation is a little non-standard (a few properties, a bunch of different investment accounts, and a 1-year-old).  I’d love a will/trust that separated financial guardianship from actual guardianship of our kid or some other mechanism since right now his inheritance would be about $2mm if we kicked it.  The plan flyer says it covers “Complex wills” and “revocable and irrevocable trusts”, but I’m not sure what exactly they mean by that. 

Has anyone here used it?  Would love a review!

Reposting in the appropriate sub forum. Sorry!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: MetLife Legal plan for will & trust?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 09:02:24 AM »
I did something similar, so ending up paying ~250 for my will and other documents. I don't remember if it was MetLife or another one. It was pretty simple - signed up, then later went to the website and did whatever paperwork they wanted. I got an authorization code or similar, found a participating attorney and made an appointment. The attorney billed the company directly.

From my end, it was great. Do make sure you don't leave the company/end the coverage before everything is done though, you might have to pay the attorney.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 10:04:15 AM »
I have a metlife plan. I used it once to ask an attorney a few questions. He answered them in writing promptly but always used a disclaimer that he is not my lawyer, doesn't know all the details of my case, this is not legal advice yada yada yada. I'm still not sure if I can actually hire that lawyer or another one if i get sued for example, or will he keep saying "i'm not your lawyer, here is what you can do".

Blue82

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 06:02:13 PM »
Thanks!  I think we may go for it.