Author Topic: Looking for Digital Receiver Recommendation  (Read 3054 times)

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
Looking for Digital Receiver Recommendation
« on: April 21, 2017, 09:36:03 AM »
I'm cancelling cable, now that my tv/internet bundle has ended, and I've talked my internet (AT&T) cost down to $30/mo.  I have heard of digital receivers that get local channels, but have no idea what models are the best value.

I trust the MMM community more than any Google searching I can do.

Thanks!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
Re: Looking for Digital Receiver Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 09:41:55 AM »
If you have a TV sold after 2009, it will have an ATSC tuner built-in.  If you have one bought just before that, it also might.  I'd double check that first.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 09:50:34 AM »
If you have a TV sold after 2009, it will have an ATSC tuner built-in.  If you have one bought just before that, it also might.  I'd double check that first.

I wasn't aware that was a possibility.  I'll check it out when I get home tonight. 

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 10:01:31 AM »
As for an antenna, this is the one I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LAA45PA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works great and gets me all the channels I could possibly want.  I'm ~35 miles outside of Chicago.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 03:45:43 PM »
As for an antenna, this is the one I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LAA45PA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works great and gets me all the channels I could possibly want.  I'm ~35 miles outside of Chicago.

Nice to know. I'm preparing to cut the cord and I was just looking at online listings for Wineguard flat antennas earlier today.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 03:52:26 PM »

Nice to know. I'm preparing to cut the cord and I was just looking at online listings for Wineguard flat antennas earlier today.
It's been pretty nice.  Amusingly, it picks up signal better when unceremoniously thrown on my coffee table at a stupid angle than mounted properly on the wall.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 11:10:29 AM »
There are SO many digital OTA (Over The Air, aka broadcast) channels! 
You can also buy a DVR that uses your antenna (It also passes the signal to the TV).   Kind of pricey, but it's a one time cost. Time shifting programs is nice, but being able to skip over ads is the real value (to me - if I don't see em, I can't be tempted by them).
I've had mine for a while so I can't recommend a current one.

Bettis

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »
Check out tvfool.com  Put your(or a nearby) address and it will tell you which channels you can get and what direction they are facing (in case you need a rotator).  I'm in between 2 markets so counting subchannels, I get close to 60, at least 20-30 unique/english speaking.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 11:36:54 AM »
Thanks for the tips, all.

For now, we're going to go without.  We cancelled cable Friday, and really enjoyed not having any reason to turn the TV on.  I'll come back to this thread if/when we ever feel like we want some local channels.