Author Topic: Long Term Care Insurance  (Read 482 times)

dragonwalker

• Stubble
Long Term Care Insurance
« on: May 23, 2022, 07:04:14 PM »
My mother and I were talking about a long term care insurance policy she has had for a number of years and it got me thinking is it worth it for her to continue due to some changes in the policy. Some info, she is currently 69 and lives in southern CA. She has had this policy since she was 50 and pays about $147 a month. She has paid the same amount monthly for 19 years and she received a letter giving her a choice to keep the same premium and reduce her daily benefit in the future from about $325 to $270 or so or she can increase her premium 50% to $220.50 per month to keep the same coverage. I believe I saw an annual inflation adjusted cap to the daily rate at 5% so the coverage amount does increase based on inflation.

I don't the exact terms of the policy but her explanation is basically that it's insurance to pay for expenses when and if it comes time to require a caretaker needed on a daily basis to feed her and take care of other bodily functions. Her own parents lived relatively healthy till the end, her father passing at 95 due to complications from a surgery and her mother at 85 due to congestive heart failure. Her father was fully independent, mobile, and cognitive to the end. My grandmother did spend the last 6 months or so in a nursing home when issues from her heart got to bad for her to live without care. My mother's health now is good and she has good eating habits and does some exercise.

She seems to think this insurance is a wonderful thing, I'm not so sure. It seems for the last 20 years it would have been extremely unlikely for her to have needed this coverage which she knew wasn't likely and it's something she might use in 15+ years. For those of you who have heard of these policies or have them, what are things to consider here? 

kite

• Pencil Stache
Re: Long Term Care Insurance
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 10:17:11 AM »
I think of LTC as “Asset Protection Insurance” as it’s function is to slow the rate at which you need to deplete your other savings & assets to provide care as you age.
Personally, I’d keep the premiums the same, saving the difference with other assets and hope for the best.  The right choice is more complicated than the premiums and benefits. It includes the size of other assets, her specific home & how far away a concerned loved one is living.

I’m now caring for the third of three siblings who needed help with activities of daily living as CHF, broken bones and dementia made them increasingly dependent.

The eldest (childless) had a LTC policy that she expected would pay for in-home care. And the daily rate would have done as she’d hoped, except her home was not accessible. A series of broken bones in her 80’s meant repeat assisted living and nursing home stays that were about 3x the daily rate of the policy.  For the broken bones, the LTC paid zero, as the problem was her home, not the diagnosis.  Once diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, the policy paid a third, her pension & SS paid a third and her savings and ultimately the sale of her home covered the other third.

The youngest (effectively childless) had zero savings and collected the minimum SS, qualifying him for Medicaid during a post-hospital re-hab stay.  Medicaid provided full time (36 hours per week) of personal care attendants that enabled him to remain at home and not in a Medicaid funded nursing home, up to the point where he entered hospice.  The aides were fantastic, but they can’t do anything medical, so it fell to me to manage medications & change dressings and to cover meals & toileting in the hours they weren’t there.

The middle sibling is my mother. No LTC policy. Her “asset protection insurance” is having several offspring living nearby, including daughters & granddaughters who are nurses.  Diagnosed almost five years ago with dementia, she cannot live alone or manage any of her affairs or personal needs. Can’t remember if she ate 1 minute ago or how to make a phone call. Because of family, she was able to delay spending her assets for care, although we are now at that phase.
And this is the paradox of healthy living with good genes and excellent diet & exercise habits: a tenth decade of life, which in her case includes cognitive decline.  In contrast to loved ones who died suddenly or after brief illnesses at younger ages, largely attributable to smoking, alcohol & obesity; she might live another 5 years with dementia. Round-the-clock care at home is very bit as expensive as in-facility care.

Near me, hiring help through an agency runs about $34/hour with a 4 hour minimum commitment.  Someone with your mother’s policy would have a benefit enough to cover an 8-hour shift or two 4-hour shifts per day. (Among my friends who have physically disabled loved ones, a split shift works the best, helping with moves into & out of bed).  You have to evaluate if the home is accessible, are there other costs of upkeep, ie… lawn maintenance, and if she developed cognitive impairment, how long would her assets cover care for the other 16 hours per day.
I’m neck deep in this and have been for a while having cared for other loved ones, one who died with vision loss, another from cancer. 
I think in the MMM world, there is a tendency to overlook how personal care needs can deplete savings, ramping the annual spend rate from, say $2000/month (what my mother used to live on) to $9000/month (what we spend, just for home health aides for part of each day).   

dragonwalker

• Stubble
Re: Long Term Care Insurance
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 02:43:25 PM »
Thank you Kite for the insight.

I am my mother's only child and nearby and very likely to stay that way. Ofcourse I would be there when able to help her out but at the same time for daily help she will ultimately need that care. You're right it's really hard to say when and if that will be the case. If my grandparents are any indicator, cognitively she should be ok although my grandmother had short term memory issues toward the end and probably would have at least needed partial help had it not been for my grandpa around. My mother is single.

Otherwise her home now is single level and easy to access and she is happy there and I suspect where she will reside for a very long time. I think this insurance gives her a high degree of comfort so probably is reassuring to have. As far as assets she has 2 homes paid generating rental income. Not much in IRAs or other retirement. I think she should be fine assuming I'm also around as well.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!