Author Topic: Light Bulbs  (Read 3669 times)

TheOldestYoungMan

• Pencil Stache
Light Bulbs
« on: August 25, 2015, 09:00:11 AM »
I'm replacing the last bit of incandescent light bulbs in my house, and was wanting to use LED bulbs.  I was curious if anyone had any bulbs they were happy with.

In particular if anyone had experience with a bulb lasting a long time installed outside.

I'm looking at these:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TCP-40W-Equivalent-Soft-White-3000K-G25-Non-Dimmable-LED-Light-Bulb-3-Pack-RLG255W27KND3/204499398?quantity=2

and these:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TCP-60W-Equivalent-Soft-White-A19-Non-Dimmable-LED-Light-Bulb-6-Pack-LA1027KND6/205386956?quantity=1

but any advice would be appreciated.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Light Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 09:05:29 AM »
I have been very happy with these Phillips bulbs. I have two of them outside my garage and they have behaved well over the last year.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-433227-Equivalent-SlimStyle-Dimmable/dp/B00I134ORI

They should also be available from Home Depot etc.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 09:08:36 AM »
Costco!

In our area there are also rebates from the power company, which are just deducted automatically at the register. Sweet. Our clown house has over a hundred can lights inside and out, dimmable and regular. We use LEDs everywhere possible.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 09:11:46 AM »
We got quite a few LED lights from Costco and they all performed great.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 09:16:21 AM »
Costco!

In our area there are also rebates from the power company, which are just deducted automatically at the register. Sweet. Our clown house has over a hundred can lights inside and out, dimmable and regular. We use LEDs everywhere possible.

Holly shit!  100 cans?   You do live in a clown house.   

We replaced our 16 cans with Cree dimmable amber colored about 9 months ago.  We like them and not problems.   Be sure to check your local utility web page as they often have rebates or even sell the lights direct.  As far as I can tell there has been about a $6 per month reduction in lighting costs.  We probably use them more than the old 60 watt cans as well.    They cost around $150 if I remember and they will move when we move. 

The dimmable are expensive but we like having the control over them.   

TheOldestYoungMan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 12:51:57 PM »
Doesn't look like my utility company has anything like that.  How big are the incentives?

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 12:57:40 PM »
Our utility company (I'm in Massachusetts) did an audit and gave us TCP LED bulbs.  I can't speak to outdoor longevity, but the  color of the light, brightness and time to on or off has been good.  We bought some Philips LEDs before the audit and Yes, they are better (quicker on/off) but I only notice if they're in the same fixture.  The TCPs glow for half a second before turning fully off.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 01:41:16 PM »
Not bargain priced, but a super easy company to work with:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/

Their bulbs are of high quality, which was important to me since they were replacing halogen equivalents.  The company even paid return shipping when I wasn't satisfied with one set of bulbs (cool white vs. warm white).

Except for one weird bathroom fixture, I've replaced all the lights in my house with LEDs.

dess1313

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 02:12:29 PM »
I have the phillips Daylight ones indoors and love them.  already noticing a small improvement on my bills.  will be able to tell better this winter.  the summer AC costs is making it harder to tell.  Here they had them 50% off with power rebates so it was worth the switch.  unfortunately some of my lighting fixtures are closed in, so i can not change all light bulbs yet