Author Topic: Legit Work-from-home deals and other hustles...  (Read 19617 times)

kmb501

• Bristles
Legit Work-from-home deals and other hustles...
« on: February 15, 2015, 04:09:52 PM »
Okay,

I'm still earning a salary of about $900 per month each year as a substitute teacher and working part-time as an ESL teacher at the community center. I need one or two more flexible jobs that pay money so that I can start saving and get out of this rut. I was thinking that maybe I could just sign up for some paid surveys (in person and over the internet). Does anyone know of anything legitimate? If not, can you think of any other flexible jobs I could take on?

julez916

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Legit Work-from-home deals and other hustles...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 04:22:12 PM »
I did online tutoring with smartthinking for a while when I was getting ready to move from Texas to Colorado (and for a while after I got here). Pros: you can kind of set your schedule, you actually have a set schedule and can end up working a decent amount per week, and you can often pick up soon shifts if you need more hours. Cons: they are owned by Pearson, they don't pay that well (I was making $11/hr with a matters degree and teaching experience), and their hiring and training process takes a while (so you won't be able to start picking up shifts right away). It was perfect for me at the time, though and since you are already in education, I thought I'd mention it.

kmb501

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 04:24:01 PM »
I did online tutoring with smartthinking for a while when I was getting ready to move from Texas to Colorado (and for a while after I got here). Pros: you can kind of set your schedule, you actually have a set schedule and can end up working a decent amount per week, and you can often pick up soon shifts if you need more hours. Cons: they are owned by Pearson, they don't pay that well (I was making $11/hr with a matters degree and teaching experience), and their hiring and training process takes a while (so you won't be able to start picking up shifts right away). It was perfect for me at the time, though and since you are already in education, I thought I'd mention it.

Thanks. I might look into it.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 04:28:59 PM »
Are you working full time on top of the jobs you already are taking on? Or are you working part time for a specific reason?

If there is no good reason to work part time, why not get a full time job? (I'm going to bet there is a good reason...)

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 04:50:32 PM »
I sell stuff for people on eBay for 20% of the profits (after eBay fees/PayPal fees/shipping/etc).

It brings in a few grand a year and is pretty flexible for me.

kmb501

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 04:54:50 PM »
Are you working full time on top of the jobs you already are taking on? Or are you working part time for a specific reason?

If there is no good reason to work part time, why not get a full time job? (I'm going to bet there is a good reason...)

Without going out of field, the only good full-time job I could get is that of a teacher, and they simply are not hiring people like me right now. I could speculate why I haven't gotten hired all day, but I think I need to try something new since I'm not getting any results like this. 

lysistrata

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 06:26:53 PM »
It's not strictly "work-from-home", but I am a marriage celebrant. I travel to weddings in my city (and sometimes outside) and marry people. Then I lodge their paperwork. Plenty of other celebrants I know also perform other ceremonies - funerals, naming ceremonies, etc - as well.

I perform around 10 weddings a year, and charge $350, more if it's an out-of-town wedding. Most celebrants who are active will perform more than this - usually around 40 a year. I cater to a niche wedding market, and I don't advertise (apart from maintaining a website and having free listings in local wedding vendor guides). It cost me nothing to get my registration, but this will differ depending on your state/country. Apart from transport and web hosting, I have no costs. Although few celebrants make a full-time living from it, it is a very fun side-hustle if you like people and are a decent public speaker.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 06:55:00 PM »
Do you know a ton about any particular area? My ex used to have a side hustle where he would pick up old video games at garage sales and pawn shops and resell online on ebay. Would look for manuals or do refurbed manuals and boxes and resold, especially internationally. He did this while a full time student and working full time also. Made a killing.

kmb501

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 03:03:46 AM »
Do you know a ton about any particular area? My ex used to have a side hustle where he would pick up old video games at garage sales and pawn shops and resell online on ebay. Would look for manuals or do refurbed manuals and boxes and resold, especially internationally. He did this while a full time student and working full time also. Made a killing.

I could try that, I guess. We do have flea markets and pawn shops where you can get technology dirt cheap. I'm more of an iPhone and tablet kind of girl, but maybe there is a niche market for that. The problem I see, though, is that most resellers actually sell these pieces of technology for more than what they are worth. Plus, I don't really know how to buy and sell on eBay; I've heard it's a bit complicated.

MrsGreenPear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My food blog: Savory Moments
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 05:29:50 AM »
For surveys, etc. you can sign up for Swagbucks (http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/swaguser16946249 - referral link). I just signed up a few months ago. You can earn gift cards, but also have money transferred to a PayPal acct which you can then spend or transfer to your bank account. How much you earn depends on how much you do, but you can get Swagbucks from simply changing your search engine, playing videos in the background while doing other things online, answering a daily poll, etc.

With your teaching background and education, perhaps you can pick up a tutoring gig or two on the side as well?

Financial Planner Dude

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 03:44:39 AM »
The swagbucks thing looks similar to what the National Post is doing, you earn points for reading articles which can than be redeemed, but in the case of NP it's mostly towards draws and stuff. Still nice being able to read without being limited to 10 free articles (as far as I can tell anyways).

For myself I'm looking at work from home deals more out of boredom than a need for money, been a house husband for 10 of the last 15 years worked 5 years as an English teacher while living in Madrid but with the move back to Munich I haven't been able to find any work and the wife is working long hours so I have a lot of time to fill. There aren't also as many volunteer actives here as well plus my German is perfect which limits me a bit. Coursera has been a life saver for me, free Uni courses love it

--end rant-- :)

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 05:28:50 AM »
The swagbucks thing looks similar to what the National Post is doing, you earn points for reading articles which can than be redeemed, but in the case of NP it's mostly towards draws and stuff. Still nice being able to read without being limited to 10 free articles (as far as I can tell anyways).

Hilarious that this publisher is both asking for money and paying people to read its content. Guess no one called out the irony in that board meeting, haha.

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 05:32:51 AM »
I tutor as well. Started out with a few test prep companies (still with one of them), and then transitioned to independent work, which pays a lot more. My current rate is between $50-$75 per hour and on a really good week I can match my pay from my actual job. Actually, if I was to focus on tutoring full time, I could probably cut down my working hours and make roughly the same amount because I would have more time for students.

kmb501

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 03:29:44 AM »
I tutor as well. Started out with a few test prep companies (still with one of them), and then transitioned to independent work, which pays a lot more. My current rate is between $50-$75 per hour and on a really good week I can match my pay from my actual job. Actually, if I was to focus on tutoring full time, I could probably cut down my working hours and make roughly the same amount because I would have more time for students.

I really not optimistic on the tutoring. I signed up with WyzAnt earlier, and I never really got customers. There were people in my area, but every time I inquired they hired someone else. I'm not well known in this area, and it doesn't help that teachers and college students with other professional pursuits, like engineering or medical, sign up to be tutors, too. I guess if you have the choice between a pre-med student and some general education teacher as instructors, you would probably choose the pre-med student, even though I'm specially trained to teach, evaluate what is being learned, and come up with special plans of action to help. I really don't have a lot of confidence, though. For one thing, I might know how to do those things, but I'm lost when it comes to showing people what I know.

Big Boots Buddha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 04:19:47 AM »
Okay,

I'm still earning a salary of about $900 per month each year as a substitute teacher and working part-time as an ESL teacher at the community center. I need one or two more flexible jobs that pay money so that I can start saving and get out of this rut. I was thinking that maybe I could just sign up for some paid surveys (in person and over the internet). Does anyone know of anything legitimate? If not, can you think of any other flexible jobs I could take on?

I'm not sure what's going on your life (married, kids, other things), but if you are single and adventurous move to China and work there. You can save $2,000 easy and if you really hustle and work 7 days a week, 4,000 dollars a month savings are possible. That would require a lot of hard work, but I did for more than a year. It was a long year though.

I have a bachelor's degree in history and I'm from the USA.

Consider getting away from the terrible US job market.

On the other hand, you can move to Asia and work 10 hours a week and save nothing, similar to what you are doing now, but live in a different, interesting place. Not working, not saving is better than working and not saving. Even better is working a lot and having good, but not amazing savings.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 04:51:03 AM »
Without going out of field, the only good full-time job I could get is that of a teacher
How do you know this?  Why don't you tell us what your industry is, and maybe there are some creative ideas that you may not have considered yet. For instance, if you are a trained teacher, then maybe a job in corporate training would work. I train people on software products from time to time and had a side gig at one time through one of the large public training companies to train business people. Once I qualified for one course as an instructor, I easily got three other courses to teach.

Plus, I don't really know how to buy and sell on eBay; I've heard it's a bit complicated.
That sounds a bit complainy-pants. A lot of things are complicated, but we do them anyway.

kmb501

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 02:57:41 PM »
Without going out of field, the only good full-time job I could get is that of a teacher
How do you know this?  Why don't you tell us what your industry is, and maybe there are some creative ideas that you may not have considered yet. For instance, if you are a trained teacher, then maybe a job in corporate training would work. I train people on software products from time to time and had a side gig at one time through one of the large public training companies to train business people. Once I qualified for one course as an instructor, I easily got three other courses to teach.

I'm a part-time ESL teacher now. I substitute teach during the school year for most of my income. I'm certified in English, Secondary Education, and ESL.

kmb501

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 03:09:00 PM »
Okay,

I'm not sure what's going on your life (married, kids, other things), but if you are single and adventurous move to China and work there. You can save $2,000 easy and if you really hustle and work 7 days a week, 4,000 dollars a month savings are possible. That would require a lot of hard work, but I did for more than a year. It was a long year though.

I have a bachelor's degree in history and I'm from the USA.

Consider getting away from the terrible US job market.

On the other hand, you can move to Asia and work 10 hours a week and save nothing, similar to what you are doing now, but live in a different, interesting place. Not working, not saving is better than working and not saving. Even better is working a lot and having good, but not amazing savings.

I would love an opportunity like that, but there are two main concerns I have:

1. How can I make sure I sign up with a legitimate company? I've heard true horror stories of people signing up with illegitimate recruiting companies and having to take out loans to pay fees, being forced to settle for lower than average wages because of their visa status, or having to search for their own work in an unfamiliar place. I really don't want that to happen to me.

2. My wages are very low right now, and I haven't been able to save enough money to pay my initial expenses, passport, plane ticket, visa application, emergency return fee, etc. I was thinking about maybe taking out a loan or borrowing from relatives, but I haven't really explored my options. I would like to save the money I need on my own, but I just can't bring in enough right now. 

It's in the back of my mind to re-enroll in school and major in a foreign language. Maybe I can sign up for a teach abroad opportunity as part of my study abroad experience. That way, the college would be responsible for sending me, and I would know it was legitimate. It also might be covered by scholarships or low-interest student loans.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 03:15:59 PM by kmb501 »

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 07:41:35 PM »
I believe Big Buddha was speaking from experience and I've seen at least one other post from another teacher who is making good money in Asia.
Shouldn't be too difficult to get more information. Obviously Big Buddhas work was legit, so perhaps she can steer you in the right direction and boom, you know you have a reliable source and a legit "possibility".

Work your butt off for a year and come back with a really nice stash:)

Speculating on more schooling when money is tight already doesn't sound like a smart choice to me and besides how would you finance that?

How difficult can the e-bay thing be? Besides, there is always Craigs list and it is free. Both of which I intend to explore soon, I have a few things I'd like to sell and I'll try anything once. There are even people that handle the e-bay sales for you at something like a 20% cut - might be worth it if you like flea markets and garage sales.

Bettis

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2015, 08:27:37 AM »
Ebay is easy!

1) Find what you want to sell and look it up on Ebay (use Sold Listings to see what the going rate is)
2) Pick the option that says "Sell one like this"
3) Change the Title and create a description, upload your pictures (If you have a tablet it sends you right to camera when you click on upload picture)  This likely works with phones too but I don't know.  No app needed, I do it straight off the regular .com site
4) Figure out the shipping weight/dimensions(I should but don't use a scale because I wing it and likely overspend a bit to be conservative.  A manual postal scale is very inexpensive)
5) Set if you want auction with a Buy It Now or fixed price with a Best Offer option (No extra fee for these so it doesn't hurt to use them)

List the item with the button at the bottom and see what happens.  Auctions are default to 7 days (Can change for a fee) and Fixed price defaults to 30 days.

After the item sells and the buyer pays (You'll need PayPal), then print off the shipping label and tape it to your boxed item.  Pack it well and put it in your mailbox or take it to the nearest Post Office.

Now the (small)downside - Ebay takes 10% and PayPal takes ~3%.  Better than the items clogging up your home and you have a worldwide audience rather than going the yard sale route.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2015, 02:40:02 PM »
I used to do Leapforce at Home. It takes some time to get started, but they are legit and totally flexible.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2015, 02:57:15 PM »
Why don't you apply for teaching jobs in states that have openings?  Some states like Nevada need teachers. When I got my grad degree I had to move here for a job.

kmb501

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2015, 03:13:28 PM »
Why don't you apply for teaching jobs in states that have openings?  Some states like Nevada need teachers. When I got my grad degree I had to move here for a job.

I have tried to apply with Navada, but I'm not sure I'll be able to relocate if they do decide to hire me. It takes time to find an apartment, and I don't know anyone in the area.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 03:18:33 PM by kmb501 »

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2015, 07:05:24 PM »

I have tried to apply with Navada, but I'm not sure I'll be able to relocate if they do decide to hire me. It takes time to find an apartment, and I don't know anyone in the area.

You are stuck if you can't (won't) move and the only  job you can get pays $900 per month. Somehow you are just going to have to get OUT of the rut - and that likely will involve moving if the only job in your area that you can get pays that little. Many people manage to move to places where they don't know anyone. I've done it - I'd wager that many others have done it. I even did it before the internets! I just packed up my stuff and drove $2000 miles it a beat down car and found a place to live. Now you have the benefit of online job searches and craigslist for apartments and such. If you've been able to get teacher certifications then likely you have the intellectual ability to figure out the logistics of moving.

In my school district there aren't enough substitute teachers - they have to cram classes together if a teacher is out sick. You have got to be able to do better in another location. Sure - scarey. Yes, the unknown.

Personally, I think Ebay and whatnot is the wrong place to be putting your energy and you would be better focused on finding a full time job in your field.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2015, 07:24:43 AM »
I really not optimistic on the tutoring.
I really don't have a lot of confidence, though.
I would love an opportunity like that, but there are two main concerns I have:
I'm not sure I'll be able to relocate if they do decide to hire me. It takes time to find an apartment, and I don't know anyone in the area.
Plus, I don't really know how to buy and sell on eBay; I've heard it's a bit complicated

As one Negative Nelly to another, I sympathize, because I used to rent a flat in Complainy-pants town, too. You're never going to go anywhere until you address your attitude. Look inward, find a way to quiet the person inside your head, telling you that you can't do things because they're hard. When that voice suggests that things can't be done, sit down and think about how they _can_ be done.

There is a lot of good stuff out there to help you on your journey. MMM's blog posts on the optimism gun are great. Tim Ferris writes a lot about unleashing creativity and optimism. Riskology has some good articles about this.

You can do it. You can, and you must. Keep trying until you succeed. Don't let failure discourage you. Learn from your mistakes and try again. Until you address your strategic problem, none of the tactical advice here is going to help.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2015, 01:58:50 PM »
There are very legit teach overseas places; I have a friend teaching in Beijing right now, and another moving to India.

And CCSD (Nevada) is hiring 2500 teachers. You'll get a job.

It seems like--no offense intended--you prefer to complain rather than take action though.

Excuses on why you can't teach overseas (what if you don't have the right company?) or why you can't teach in NV if you're hired (you'd have to find an apartment).

Go research overseas teaching companies. Go research NV apartments. Take action, don't make excuses.

Getting a real teaching job will make you--by far--more money than some small eBay side gig (starting a whole business aside).
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

frugally

• Stubble
    • Welcome to the Woods
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2015, 02:07:57 PM »
Without going out of field, the only good full-time job I could get is that of a teacher, and they simply are not hiring people like me right now. I could speculate why I haven't gotten hired all day, but I think I need to try something new since I'm not getting any results like this.

I think you need to double-down on trying to get a full-time job - in full agreement with arebelspy on making more money there.  If you have teacher friends, have them look at your resume/practice interviewing/etc.  Also, I can't say this enough, get in direct contact with someone at the place you're applying to - preferably with a decision-maker.  The ROI I've seen on taking someone out for coffee to talk to them about what it's like working there (and then getting a good reference from them) is crazy.

socalteacher

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2015, 04:48:02 PM »
I have to second the idea of working in Asia. I worked in Korea for two years with my wife teaching at an ESL school. We made a grip load of money, over 100K in savings. We traveled for 5 weeks each year. IF we would have stayed we would have worked at a university as less working hours would equate to more time to pursue private tutoring (which is where the huge $ pours in).

The best way to avoid getting screwed by a school is to ask to interview current teachers and past teachers. I emailed them and got answers to many questions I had. It really helped me narrow down my choices. 

Also, check out international schools. They usually are hiring more often than places stateside as there is more turnover. Maybe try somewhere like Guam or Saipan if you are hesitant to leave the "USA"??

One of the best decisions of my life was to work abroad and experience something different.

kmb501

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2015, 08:10:22 AM »
I'm going to do something; that is for sure. I guess part of my apprehension is just leaving a place where I'm comfortable, although miserable. I think I'm going to re-enroll in college and apply for a scholarship to study / teach abroad. That's probably my best course of action. Now, I need to worry about finding a good camera and mobile internet plan to Skype my family and friends...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2015, 09:01:43 AM »
I'm going to do something; that is for sure. I guess part of my apprehension is just leaving a place where I'm comfortable, although miserable. I think I'm going to re-enroll in college and apply for a scholarship to study / teach abroad.

Again, you're coming up with things to delay action, rather than take action.

Why do you need to reenroll in college?  Why do you need a scholarship to teach overseas? 

And are you planning to study abroad? Why, where did that come from?

That's probably my best course of action. Now, I need to worry about finding a good camera and mobile internet plan to Skype my family and friends...

Really?  No. You don't. You don't need to worry about that at all. Most laptops have cameras built in. As does basically every phone, and tablet. If you have none of those devices, a $20 webcam sold basically everywhere will do fine.

As with earlier comments (like this one):
Plus, I don't really know how to buy and sell on eBay; I've heard it's a bit complicated.

What?  Literally millions of people do it.

You seem to make excuses, rather than push forward.

Get motivated!  Take action!  Don't sit around complaining nothing will work for you.

:)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2015, 04:36:46 PM »
I moved to Nevada after a divorce all by myself with no place to live. Get a motel room & then look for an apartment. It is not that hard to do.

kmb501

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2017, 09:17:06 AM »

That sounds nice. Could you give me some more information on that?

kmb501

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2017, 09:25:31 AM »
I moved to Nevada after a divorce all by myself with no place to live. Get a motel room & then look for an apartment. It is not that hard to do.

I tried to apply for that CCSD thing, and someone called to interview me for the wrong position. Oh, dear...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 02:25:52 PM by kmb501 »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2017, 09:39:25 AM »

I literally tried to apply for that CCSD thing, and someone called to interview me for the wrong position. Oh, dear...

I'm not sure what exactly "that CCSD thing" is, but CCSD is a huge school district, the 5th largest in the nation with 356 schools, over 320,000 students, and over 41,000 employees.

If there was a mistake when they called you, it's because... they make mistakes all the time!  ;)

There's a lot wrong with CCSD. And a fair amount right. You gotta roll with it.

Good luck!  :)

EDIT: Wow, can't believe it's been two years.  Time flies.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 09:45:42 AM by arebelspy »

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2017, 09:43:14 AM »
School district admin here. I've helped hire 30+ teachers this year. Feel free to pm me your resume if you want feedback (just black out personal info).

Are you applying to a few select districts/schools, or have you cast a wide net? What positions are you applying for? Are you still checking job boards (late postings are the hardest to fill)? Give some more details and I'll try to help.

kmb501

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2017, 02:33:40 PM »
School district admin here. I've helped hire 30+ teachers this year. Feel free to pm me your resume if you want feedback (just black out personal info).

Are you applying to a few select districts/schools, or have you cast a wide net? What positions are you applying for? Are you still checking job boards (late postings are the hardest to fill)? Give some more details and I'll try to help.

Right now, I'm working at a youth center; it's like a detention center, and I haven't really been looking that hard this time. In the past, I've applied to local schools in the area, but I'm not great at interviewing, and my classroom management just isn't great. At least one of my coworkers explained that it's the teacher education program I graduated from, and there isn't really much that can be done except gain more experience and try not to repeat the same mistakes too often. I guess it's safe to assume that no schools are going to train me here, but that's part of my job dissatisfaction. It's really hard to feel effective when you aren't given a lot of feedback on what you do right. 

I love structure and methods to already be provided for me, and I don't do that well in situations where I have to provide the structure. I'm not saying I can't do it, and I don't know if it's because I have mild autism, but sometimes coming up with my own system is really difficult.   
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 02:52:04 PM by kmb501 »

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2017, 03:15:10 PM »

Right now, I'm working at a youth center; it's like a detention center, and I haven't really been looking that hard this time. In the past, I've applied to local schools in the area, but I'm not great at interviewing, and my classroom management just isn't great. At least one of my coworkers explained that it's the teacher education program I graduated from, and there isn't really much that can be done except gain more experience and try not to repeat the same mistakes too often. I guess it's safe to assume that no schools are going to train me here, but that's part of my job dissatisfaction. It's really hard to feel effective when you aren't given a lot of feedback on what you do right. 

I love structure and methods to already be provided for me, and I don't do that well in situations where I have to provide the structure. I'm not saying I can't do it, and I don't know if it's because I have mild autism, but sometimes coming up with my own system is really difficult.

All of the things you mentioned - interviewing, classroom management, structure - are things all new teachers struggle with. Seriously, all of them including the ones who think they're hot shit.

A great interview question, if you get to ask questions, is what kind of support do you provide for first year teachers? It makes you sound humble and eager to learn. Another one is, do you have a campus-wide classroom management system in place (capturing kids' hearts is one example by there are a ton).

There are 1001+ books on classroom management. Go to the library. Read. Pick a program and decide to try it. It's more about consistency than magic woo.

Why aren't you good at interviews? Are you making assumptions  or are these things you have heard from people on the committee? 

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2017, 03:30:27 PM »
I am thinking of teaching English to Chinese speakers, but probably don't have the time to do it.  It sounds very interesting though.

kmb501

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2017, 05:16:55 PM »

All of the things you mentioned - interviewing, classroom management, structure - are things all new teachers struggle with. Seriously, all of them including the ones who think they're hot shit.

A great interview question, if you get to ask questions, is what kind of support do you provide for first year teachers? It makes you sound humble and eager to learn. Another one is, do you have a campus-wide classroom management system in place (capturing kids' hearts is one example by there are a ton).

There are 1001+ books on classroom management. Go to the library. Read. Pick a program and decide to try it. It's more about consistency than magic woo.

Why aren't you good at interviews? Are you making assumptions  or are these things you have heard from people on the committee?

I think one major drawback is our district is / was glutted with teachers, so the admins could be extremely picky, and the ones who have interviewed me have pretty much given me the idea that classroom management is a skill you must have to get a teaching job, not one that you learn over time.

A few of the teachers in this area have been upfront with me and have told me that the admins aren't great about supporting their teachers. They're more about balancing numbers and siding with parents and kids. That doesn't sound like an environment where new teachers will be successful at all, but it seems to be most of what I've run into. At the place where I'm currently working, we were told recently that they won't be using the computer program that teaches the students; if I understood correctly, we will now be responsible for what the kids learn, and we aren't certified in all of the subjects the students are taking. I've been warned that the public schools will throw worse curve balls than that, because teachers don't have the option of throwing a kid out of the classroom when he / she interrupts the learning of others for one thing. Here, at least I don't have to put up with disruptive students.

I don't think I'm good at interviews, because I don't really seem to give the person interviewing me the idea that I know how to do the job well, I guess. One principal who interviewed me said that it seemed like I lacked confidence.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 05:24:05 PM by kmb501 »

trix76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2017, 12:09:04 AM »
Sign up to participate in diary studies via Dscout or Mindswarm. Also sign up to be on market research panels in your area to participate in in-home interviews or focus groups. (I do research for a living.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2017, 01:00:26 AM »
You ask, the forum responds, you make excuses. Rinse and repeat.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/teaching-jobs

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/legit-work-from-home-deals-and-other-hustles

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/slightly-better-income

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/how-to-become-an-entrepreneur

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/what-else-could-i-do-with-these-degrees

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/can-you-legitimately-make-money-with-a-blog-if-so-how-could-i-get-started

Perhaps you keep posting variations on this question because it makes you feel like you're actually making progress.

Unfortunately - and I don't mean this unkindly - we can't fix this for you. Only you can do that. You've had hundreds of suggestions over the past couple of years, which is great, but ideas won't achieve anything without action.

Good luck.

kmb501

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2017, 03:13:44 AM »
You ask, the forum responds, you make excuses. Rinse and repeat.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/teaching-jobs

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/legit-work-from-home-deals-and-other-hustles

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/slightly-better-income

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/how-to-become-an-entrepreneur

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/what-else-could-i-do-with-these-degrees

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/can-you-legitimately-make-money-with-a-blog-if-so-how-could-i-get-started

Perhaps you keep posting variations on this question because it makes you feel like you're actually making progress.

Unfortunately - and I don't mean this unkindly - we can't fix this for you. Only you can do that. You've had hundreds of suggestions over the past couple of years, which is great, but ideas won't achieve anything without action.

Good luck.

As hopefully you've noticed, I've reopened one of my old topics instead of just re-posting something else. I've been informed that it is not necessary to post a new topic to discuss the same thing, even if the original topic is several weeks old.

My inaction is due to several factors, mainly anxiety I think, and I'm trying to work through it.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2017, 07:11:12 AM »
My inaction is due to several factors, mainly anxiety I think, and I'm trying to work through it.
Meanwhile, you've lost two years of your life. Perhaps a little counseling might help you get over this hump.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2017, 07:31:52 AM »
Are you still working as a sub?  If so, apply everywhere for a nights/weekend job, seriously everywhere.  Rather than inaction from setting up a new stream of income, you mentioned needing structure, so just get a second job for nights/weekends.  Retail, restaurants, whatever.  Work up to your better situation.  Make it a goal to start making things better a little bit at a time. 

Also since you mention needing structure, mystery shopping might be great for you.  All you have to do is follow the shop company's guidelines.  You pick up jobs when you have free time, it is legitimate - check out this forum, especially the new mystery shopper section. I've been doing this off and on since 2009, it's easy and now that I have a smartphone even easier.  https://www.mysteryshopforum.com/  Couple things I did to make it not as expensive starting out - sign up at 10 companies to start, then add ten each month.  Don't print guidelines, just hand write them into a notebook, work on getting better and faster at reports, learn when jobs are posted and what jobs go slowly so you can get the ones you want or the ones no one wants at a bonus.  PM me with any questions, I now only do a couple jobs a month, mostly for lifestyle item reimbursements (restaurants, take out, groceries, oil changes, movies, car washes, hotels) and still manage to make $120-$150 ish a month in fees.  The forum is very supportive, much like here, but again, inactivity will get you nowhere.   

I get that things are scary.  I along with many others on this board are risk takers, so it is easy for us to imagine taking big steps without fear.  I think you need baby steps on easy things before jumping into something that might be overwhelming for you like starting an ebay business or taking a job overseas.  Try something new each day, or every other day or every week.  I may be reading too much into it, but it seems like taking huge steps are overwhelming for you and cause you to instead to nothing.  The danger will be that you make a couple changes, get comfortable and then don't keep on making changes.  Good luck. 

SailorGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2017, 07:46:06 AM »
Leapforce:  https://www.leapforceathome.com/qrp/public/jobs/list;jsessionid=D440D31CE88616CE410E3477E5152D4A

Roughly 10 hours a week min, up to 40 max.  Work your own hours, pay is around $13 an hour, maybe more now.  I used to do this before traveling and enjoyed it.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2017, 01:52:52 PM »
I think this one needs to move to Off Topic. OP is the only one that doesn't see it. 2 years, I can't believe I just read that. I mean at least it's entertaining to read the troll bait threads.

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2017, 03:41:16 PM »

You mention that you have mild autism.  Have you tried to see if there are any support groups or local agencies that can help people with disabilities find jobs?  It might be that they have some suggestions or assistance with helping those with autism find employment.  You might consider tutoring centers that have set curriculum for their students.  I wish you the best of luck.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 03:43:26 PM by BFGirl »

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2017, 04:07:47 PM »
Also, someine mentioned VIP Kid on this forum as a work from home opportunity.   It is teaching English by immersion online and I believe the curriculum is set.  I think you said you have ESL, so this might be a good opportunity for you.  https://t.vipkid.com.cn

kmb501

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2017, 05:47:49 PM »
I think this one needs to move to Off Topic. OP is the only one that doesn't see it. 2 years, I can't believe I just read that. I mean at least it's entertaining to read the troll bait threads.

Sorry, are you accusing me of trolling? I re-opened one of my old threads, did not post another thread seeking advice even though this on is two years old because I got a warning for posting SPAM (multiple threads on the same topic, actually) and you are STILL accusing me of trolling? I don't get it.

This kind of thing happens to me in real life, too, though. Why wouldn't I be afraid of trying something new that's going to expose me to new levels of ridicule? This job where I'm currently working, no, I'm no longer a sub here. I'm working full-time as a certified teacher, but I suspect this job just isn't going to last. I've gotten several complaints from people, mainly grievances filed by the kids. I had to open my big mouth and explain what those forms were while offering help to a kid I thought I could trust; that was a mistake. Lack of social understanding causes me to make stupid mistakes like that on a regular basis. I don't see it until it's too late. I really don't even think that's the result of having mild autism; it's just the result of being naive, and I guess there are no real excuses. Imagine what pretty much anyone could do to a person like me, though.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 05:50:04 PM by kmb501 »

kmb501

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2017, 06:00:12 PM »
Also, someine mentioned VIP Kid on this forum as a work from home opportunity.   It is teaching English by immersion online and I believe the curriculum is set.  I think you said you have ESL, so this might be a good opportunity for you.  https://t.vipkid.com.cn

I started an application with VIP kid. That seems like a good idea if I can set my own hours.