Author Topic: Lawn trimmer.  (Read 1970 times)

crazy jane

• Bristles
Lawn trimmer.
« on: July 09, 2018, 05:37:11 PM »
So our lawn trimmer bit the dust. Any recommendations on an affordable bur reliable battery operated trimmer. Looking to buy new. Thanks in advance.

Notch

• Stubble
Re: Lawn trimmer.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 05:46:58 PM »
This probably won't apply to the US, but I would avoid a cheap 18V battery-powered trimmer from the Australian brand Ozito or their German equivalent, Einhell.  I returned two of them with different manufacturing defects and went back to my old corded electric trimmer.

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 05:55:37 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

Rcc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 05:51:14 AM »
We have one we randomly picked from the local big box HW store... light duty on 1/3rd acre. For areas where I’m uninformed, I head over to the wire cutter for recommendations:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-string-trimmers/

Cool thing they do is recommend alternatives too. Enjoy

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 06:07:14 AM »
We sucked it up and paid for a Stihl six years ago, its been so much better than what we've used in the past.  Look at this stuff as a per-season cost, even if you have to pay a little more up front

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 11:17:38 AM »
I bought a slightly different version of the EGO 56V trimmer from Home Depot a few weeks ago ($149).

I just attacked the back yard/jungle with it yesterday, and I'm amazed at how good it is. My old gas trimmer from 2001 was a landscaper-grade model, but this thing outperforms it in every way.

I drained the battery while using it, and it took around 45 mins to recharge fully, which allowed me to finish the yard. I had a lot to cut, and most of it was tall weeds that the gas trimmer used to have trouble with.

This is the slightly newer version of what I bought - https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-15-in-56-Volt-Lithium-ion-Electric-Cordless-String-Trimmer-w-Rapid-Reload-Head-with-2-5Ah-Battery-and-Charger-Included-ST1502SF/300638783

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 12:50:43 PM »
Thanks so much everyone for your input. Going with the Ego-15. My husband will be very happy.

wbranch

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 02:02:10 PM »
The $60 black and decker cordless trimmer has lasted 5+ years for us. If you have a jungle to clean up it might struggle a little.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!