Author Topic: Ladies: Do you cut your own hair?  (Read 25565 times)

windawake

• Bristles
Ladies: Do you cut your own hair?
« on: April 05, 2012, 12:28:31 PM »
I've cut my own bangs for years.  It's at the point where my hairdresser doesn't even bother with them when I get a haircut, since I keep them regularly trimmed myself and have gotten really good at layering them.  I like them much more now that I cut them myself, and would never want a hairdresser to cut them again since then I'd just have to fix them anyways.

From my avatar you can see that my hair is pretty short.  I've been flirting with the idea of cutting my own hair for awhile now.  This morning I gave it a try, but only cut off a tiny bit, 1/2 inch or less.  Overall it wasn't too hard and looks good!  I think I want to try cutting it all on my own as a MMM inspired lifestyle change.  My hair is pretty fine, so it always feels like a struggle to wait even 3 months for a haircut since it starts to get frizzy, but I won't let myself cut it more frequently due to cost.  This would be a great way to keep it lookin' fine and fresh.

I went on Amazon today and bought some new hair cutting scissors (mine are about 5 years old from Target) and a couple clips and combs, overall it cost much less than one haircut so hopefully I can make it all back within a few months!

Any of you other ladies try this?  Do you have suggestions?  From cutting my own bangs and paying attention to what my hair stylist does, I have some good ideas for layering, etc. but could always use more!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 12:30:16 PM by windawake »

poko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Ladies: Do you cut your own hair?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 12:41:27 PM »
No, I think I'd probably screw it up, even though my hair is pretty long and I wouldn't even need to do any weird backwards cutting.

I have a friend that will do it for quite a discount compared to the fancy salons -- though probably not as cheap as the discount places (but I have had terrible experiences at those when I was younger). I don't go to her too often, but it's nice when I do, having someone else wash & mess with your hair is so relaxing, I love it!

Danielle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Junior 'stachian
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 12:55:20 PM »
I've probably only had ~10 real haircuts in my life, since my mother would cut my hair.  I cut my own bangs, much like you do, and my hair is just one simple length (my hair is wavy, so layers come out strangely).  During college, I'd just have my mother take a few inches off, and repeat that every time I visited home again (usually for most breaks, never longer than 6 months).

But now I've moved further than driving distance from my parents, so I've got a few more months to figure out what I'm going to do when my hair becomes unruly.  I don't think I'm going to cut it myself...I can barely braid my own hair, so there's no chance I'd cut it straight!  I might enlist my boyfriend to try his best, and if that doesn't work out I'll just get it "fixed" at a salon and deal with it.

I'd be interested in hearing others' suggestions and tips as well!

onehappypanda

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 01:29:27 PM »
No, but I've considered it. It's just that my hair is very thick and very straight, and even one stray layer tends to be pretty obvious on it.

I did trim my bangs when I had full bangs, and that was fairly easy. Now I'm growing my hair into a longer style that can go longer between trips to the salon, to save money on full cuts which I don't feel comfortable doing myself. I'll probably still try to trim my bangs, though I don't think side bangs are quite as simple as full bangs were. But it's a challenge and I've learned that as long as you don't cut off too much, almost any hair mishap is fixable.

My only tip is to youtube search it. There are a surprising number of DIY hair trimming tutorials on youtube, you just have to find someone with similar-ish hair.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 01:35:20 PM »
This video looks pretty simple.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-GAilMmCqQ

I cut my wife's hair for the first time last month. I was hesitant, but she wanted me to give it a try, so we watched a few videos, and I gave it a go. It turned out quite well. My wife's hair is thick and straight, too. We since bought some better scissors (a small pair by Tweezerman from Amazon), and I need to pick up a better comb.

catalana

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 01:38:42 PM »
I do my own fringe if it needs it between cuts but never the full thing.

However I used to work next to a hairdressing college, and would go in there whenever I could.  Used to be about £2 for a cut - bargain!  The only disadvantage was that the girls would take aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages to do a simple cut and blow dry.  I once had to leave with wet hair because they hadn't even got around to drying by the time an hour was up!

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 01:52:28 PM »
I've had MMM cut my hair before.  I feel okay about having him cut my hair if it stays relatively long, but for a really short cut (like I recently had), I go get it done.

My solution to all this haircutting business is to get my hair cut once a year on my birthday.  My birthday is in the summer, so by then I'm pretty excited to get it cut.  I usually get it cut short (chin length).  The rest of the year it grows and grows (I don't have bangs, but when I had bangs in high school I cut them myself).

This year I skipped my annual haircut because I was liking my long hair, but I finally got fed up recently and went and had it cut.  :)

I'm totally going to watch that YouTube video though!  I've been thinking about checking some out anyway...

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 02:19:57 PM »

Brilliant!  I'm definitely going to try that.  :)

C99

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 02:21:05 PM »
I was cutting my own hair before I just stopped cutting it.  I used different methods.  For chin length, I'd put the hair in a long flat curved clip (I think the clip was actually intended to make an 80's style vertical ponytail) and cut the hair off below the clip.  I could do the cutting by feel without a mirror, after using a mirror to make sure the clip was straight.   For longer lengths I'd put in elastics (think of one or two pony tails with multiple elastics down the length) and just cut below the last elastic.  It helps that my hair is wavy so a precise blunt edge isn't necessary.   I've also added layers, generally by pulling the hair straight up above the head and cutting a straight line across. 

The most difficult cut for me was trying to get a precise shoulder-length blunt cut.  It was a bit too long for my short-hair technique and a bit too short for my long-hair technique.

Osprey

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 03:29:23 PM »
Longer hair is easier to DIY. I used to cut medium length layers with the twisted-ponytail method (saw it on tyra banks of all places!) and use a zigzag scissors for my bangs. With anything shorter than shoulder length I prefer a stylist. Currently loving my short bob but it needs trimming every month!
I love cutting my own hair but boyfriend gets nervous when I lock myself in the bathroom with scissors: I have had far too many accidental pixies. Heh.

Raechelle73

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 03:35:13 PM »
I've been cutting my husband and son's hair for about a year now, and getting better and better at it - they look pretty good, if I do say so myself!  (Got tired of having to trim stray hairs after paying someone to do it and they did a lousy job anyway!)  I'm intrigued by this idea!  My husband is VERY careful, creative, and smart.  I would never try to cut anything other than my bangs on  myself, but I might try letting my husband cut my hair to save money.  He has ticked me off trying to cut our son's hair and his own a few times (too short) but I still think it's worth a try!  Love the idea of checking out the videos.  So cool!  Good luck to you, and thanks for the idea!  Will try to have my husband do this!

catalana

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 03:42:03 PM »
Just been watching hair cutting videos on Youtube, and my dearly beloved is looking worried now!

If anyone finds one that shows you how to do your own straight across cut (no layers) can you share?  Thanks!

nolajo

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 07:26:17 PM »
I've only ever cut my bangs and trimmed split ends when I was bored. Right now, I'm actually trying to grow my hair out so that it needs less frequent maintenance, despite being a fan of bobs and bangs. The length also helps with humidity and in my experience doesn't produce as bad a head of helmet hair :) .

If you decide against doing your own (or have a minor disaster to fix), I'd see if there's a Paul Mitchell school near by. The cuts are about the same cost as the discount places - usually $15 or so - and the students are both better trained and closely supervised by their teachers. I've never gotten a bad cut in the couple of locations I've gone to over the past decade. They'll probably try to up-sell you with a couple of things, but it's rarely been very pushy.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 07:45:28 PM »
Nope, I work for a Fortune 25 corporation and "appearances" are important. As soon as I'm FI though I'll cut it myself.

tweedscholar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 11:47:09 PM »
I must research this!  I don't really...cut my hair. I'll go >1yr without a cut - it just ends up in a braid or pony tail for work, plus it's kinda curly so nobody really notices how even the ends are(n't).

But if I could trim the Handsome Boyfriend's head (and convince him to let me do it), we'd save wuite a bit. He works in law enforcement, so it has to stay pretty clean cut. 3wks between trims is pushing it.

onehappypanda

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 10:09:24 AM »
I've only ever cut my bangs and trimmed split ends when I was bored. Right now, I'm actually trying to grow my hair out so that it needs less frequent maintenance, despite being a fan of bobs and bangs. The length also helps with humidity and in my experience doesn't produce as bad a head of helmet hair :) .

That's the exact same reason I'm growing my bob out. Short hair was cool and really easy to style, but a pain in the butt to trim (every 6 weeks) and looked like crap when I wore a helmet, which I've been doing quite a bit recently ;)

Also +1 to the option of going to a school. I used to go to an Aveda school for simple hair trims and they do take awhile but it's about $20, and $15 if I go on a weekday during a special. They take awhile and I can't just tell them to do whatever like I do with a normal stylist- but if I just need something simple like a trim and some layers, they generally do a great job.

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 12:11:01 PM »
I'll be honest, I briefly considered shaving my head as the ultimate mustachian hairstyle (no more haircuts, shampoo, conditioner, styling products, hair accessories, save time styling, etc.) But, I don't know how my employer would react (I used to have blue hair, so they might be cool with it), and DH was definitely not on board. Plus, since I have not yet mastered the straight razor, it would increase shaving costs.

TwoPupsOnACouch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 05:15:48 PM »
I've been cutting my own hair since high school--  so about 15 years.  Every few years my vanity gets the best of me an I go to a fancy salon to get it cut.  And everytime I walk out with significantly less money in my purse and feeling a lot less attractive.  It seems that even if I bring in a picture, the stylist just does their own thing and I get a super frumpy haircut.
I find great step by step cuts on marybehindthechair.com.  It a great resource for male and female cuts. Together with pro scissors and a straight comb, I've cut my hair, my husbands and a neighbor.
You look like you have very similar hair as mine.  Fine hair in a bob with bangs.  A super easy quick and easy cut is this:
Gather wet hair in a perfect low ponytail at the nape of your neck.  Adjust elastic ponytail holder to the length that you like behind you head.
Cut the ponytail off below the elastic, using small even snips on the bias. Similar to cutting your bangs.
Take hair out of pony tail holder, part hair down the center and use you straight comb to check that the line of your hair is symmetrical on both sides and that the ends of you hair form a straight line.
Cut in layers however you wish.  I use my straight comb to take the hair at the top of my head up in a diamond shape.  The four points are widows peak, above each ear and occipital lob.  Gather all hair  within the diamond straight up in the air and trim of about 1/2 inch.
Done!
This process takes about 5-10minutes and results in a simple bob with longer hair in the front.   I get frequent compliments from people who have no idea that I cut my hair myself.  I must confess, other than pro scissors my other major investment was a large mirror with two mirrored arms.  By adjusting the arms, I can see my hair from every angle.  The scissors were $13 and the mirror was in clearance for $50, for a grand total of $63 for a basically infinite number of haircuts.  Sadly, some of my above mentioned frumpy haircuts cost more than that.

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 09:14:53 PM »
Awesome TwoPups!  You're right, my hair is fairly short and pretty fine, although I do have a lot of it.  Thanks for the input.  I will definitely check out that website and give your haircut a try once I'm due for one!  That'll be in about June, so I might go ahead and do some before/after pics and report to you all about how it went.

Mirwen

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 09:02:13 AM »

That is so awesome!

I used to have a really high maintenance cut (A line bob).  However, one day I saw a photo of myself and my hair looked terrible because I hadn't cut it recently or carefully groomed.  I decided that if I wasn't going to pay to maintain it all the time I should get a simpler 'do.   Now I'm growing my hair out because longer is easier to maintain and style (though it is a real pain to keep colored - I still can't give up my henna).  I've been getting my hair cut twice annually at one of the better local discount places.  I wait until they send me a coupon for a $7.99 cut and tip well.  However, after seeing this video I'm never going back.  I was leaning toward long layers, now it seems so easy.  The creaclip looks neat too.  Thank you for the tip!

I started cutting DH's hair too.  I practiced on our (2 yo) son first.  Then I got a nice pair of clippers and tried cutting Hubbie's.  I was really cautious the first time and didn't cut off too much.  I wanted there to be something left to trim if it needed fixing.  It didn't.  Now I've cut it three times and I'm getting faster.  DH's employer has military guidelines for hair, so it needs frequent trimming.  Goodness know why, he works in a call center at night, sigh. 

nolajo

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 09:44:48 AM »
Also +1 to the option of going to a school. I used to go to an Aveda school for simple hair trims and they do take awhile but it's about $20, and $15 if I go on a weekday during a special. They take awhile and I can't just tell them to do whatever like I do with a normal stylist- but if I just need something simple like a trim and some layers, they generally do a great job.

Yeah, helmet hair was honestly one of my biggest barriers to bike riding. It sounds silly and vain but it was a hold over from having to bike to school as a kid and hating it. My current solution of just not wearing one seems to freak out too many people close to me. (And I'll admit, I'm not a fan of going helmet-less at night at the very least.)

I didn't have very good luck with the Aveda school near me - it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great and the woman tried to fry my hair with the flat iron. At PM, I've typically been able to walk in with a laundry list of complaints and walk out with a style that addresses them. That works for me, since I rarely have a clear idea of what would work best in my hair (fine, with irregular waves, now a little longer than shoulder length, needs layers but very carefully done to not look ratty. All of this learned from painful experience when I've gone elsewhere). That lack of a clear idea of what to do is why I would hesitate to cut my own. I rely on the other person as much for what to do with it as to actually wield the scissors.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 05:56:57 PM »
No - basically, my one splurge is a $70 haircut(ouch! I cringe just thinking about it) at a nice salon every few months. I've tried going to hairdressing schools and cheaper places, but have weird hair that curls and waves and grows kind of sideways, and they always always ruin it.

ToughMother

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2012, 11:22:56 AM »
I have short hair and trim my bangs frequently.  The rest of it I cut on my own when I "can't take it anymore" (too long, shaggy).  Additionally, 2-3 times per year (it used to be less frequently, but now that I'm in a workplace where I shouldn't look like my stylist is Edward Scissorhands, that has increased) I get things tidied up by the pros.

CatM13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 10:27:04 AM »
Nope. And if you saw my daughter's bangs after the last mommy hair cut you'd understand why. But I only go every few months (3 or 4) and go to one of the hair cut places that only charges about $10. So I may spend $50 a year total unlike a lot of ladies I know that spend way more than that on just 1 hair cut (not including the dye or highlighting they get).  If I didn't work where I do, I would probably go less frequently but I think that any less than that frequency and I start looked unkept (and I have to meet with customers on a regular basis).

Frida

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 12:23:09 PM »
Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but just wanted to say that I tried the technique in the youtube video that velocistar237 posted above, and I love the result! Just in case anyone else is considering trying it.

It was my first time cutting my own hair (or anyone else's, for that matter) so I was a bit worried but it couldn't have been easier. I actually prefer it to the cuts I've paid for in the past!

apple_ya

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 08:47:01 PM »
My niece just finished hairdressing school so i get it cut for free in trade for food :D....just to think that i used to pay $45 per haircut plus tax plus tips = $60 my god

i actually haven't had a haircut in probably almost 1 year
looking pretty wild but hey my hair is long so you can't really tell

cindyc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 10:57:48 PM »
I have a friend who cuts her own hair in an A-line bob...she does this by holding the hair out in one hand while using a straight edge razor in the other hand to shape it nicely, while she looks in a wall mounted mirror that enables her to see the back of her head.  I tried doing that myself, but had a hard time getting the shape right (and she had to repair my efforts). 
   I extend the life of my haircuts by:
1. getting my A-line cut really short, and then letting it grow out till it's pretty long but still has the right shape.
2. using a BIC razor to shave the "peach-fuzz" hair that grows on the back of your neck myself, while looking in a wall mounted mirror.

jwystup

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 09:02:26 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-GAilMmCqQ.

Yesss!! I just tried this too and it worked really well. I wasn't too nervous since my hair is pretty long, any unevenness is pretty hidden and mistakes could've been fixed without making it too short. I always hated going to the salon and I'd avoid it until my hair got crazy split ends. This time I actually did it when they first appeared instead of waiting 3 more months :) I've definitely enjoyed having "long layers" (generally keeping the shortest layer longer than chin-length) and this is perfect! In the past I've wound up getting the layers cut out just to get rid of all of the icky ends, but now I can keep it layered!

I had been meaning to try this for a couple weeks and then we just bought a new set of clippers for my boyfriend since his were dying (he buzzes his head). They came with some hair scissors so I had to use them! Thank you, velocistar, for this video, I never would've thought it could be that easy!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, 10:08:27 PM »
My wife tried that technique as well and liked it.

She says she wanted to cut more, but her husband wouldn't let her.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2015, 07:01:27 AM »
I finally did it. Woohoo. Got myself a proper scissors and a Creaclip set that someone on here recommended. Only used the small clip to do my fringe (bangs) but together with the proper scissors, that was sooo much easier than my old attempts with just a mirror and a household scissors. For the rest of my hair, I used the front ponytail method as in that youtube video above. So, so easy. I have long and thick, curly (tending more towards frizzy than defined curls) hair so I was only a bit nervous. Curls can be far more forgiving than straight hair, I think. Cut about two inches off, just to take it easy at first. Will probably do the same again in a month or so but I'm pleased how this first attempt turned out. I usually wear it up at work but took it down today to show the two colleagues I am friends with and they thought it looked good so all in all, I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself. Cost of the clips and scissors plus shipping €38. Normal cost of a wash, cut and blowdry for long hair: ca. €50 (usually once a year).

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2015, 08:56:33 AM »
Yes.  I use a Flowbee and cut it the same length all over my head.  Looks a lot like the pixie style I used to pay for.   One trick with the Flowbee is to attach it to a vacuum with a lot of suction.  I used to use a weaker one and it doesn't work nearly as well.

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2015, 09:02:05 AM »
I cut my daughter's hair, but she's 7 and can't really complain too much right now.  I cut my husband's hair twice a year.  I pay someone to cut mine, but its only once or twice a year.

Briarly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2015, 10:30:03 AM »
I love this lady! I use her hair styling ideas. but she lots of tutorials for how to cut hair, too- I think they might cost a few bucks.
http://www.howtohairgirl.com/

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2015, 11:00:47 AM »
Yes! I've cut my own hair (shoulder length bob) for years cause I'm allergic to hair salons/nasty chemicals. Takes 2 minutes. 

Part down the middle (wet, post-shower). Gather left half in one section/handful, cut back to front (angling for even length), then repeat right half.  Trim as necessary. 

Have been asked where I get my hair done, so it's working well from an outsider's perspective too :)

Meggslynn

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2015, 11:38:53 AM »
No I don't.

My hair is extremely thick, with some parts wavy and some parts straight.

I tried once after researching numerous at home hair cutting techniques and it looked horrible and I headed to the salon the next day.

I have found an okay compromise. Instead of going to the salon every 3 months for $50 a pop. I every 4 months to a lady that does it out of her home for $30/$35.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2015, 11:46:42 AM »
Yes, but I don't do anything fancy with it.  It's long, no bangs, so I just trim the split ends with a pair of scissors every so often.  About once a year I cut it up to my shoulders.  My mom cut it when I lived at home.  The only time I've had a salon cut my hair was when I was about 6 and hacked off half my hair with a pair of scissors.  Mom took me in to get everything tidied and evened up. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2015, 11:52:54 AM »
I have crazy curly hair. The left side curls more tightly than the right side.  I'd be a fool to try to cut it.  I need a stylist who can see that, and determine how the curls are going to change as it gets shorter (shorter my hair curls more tightly than longer).  I cannot imagine how insane my hair would look if I tried to do it myself (not to mention, my Barbies always ended up bald because I could never get it even and would just keep trying to snip a bit off to adjust...)

Like Mrs. MMM I solved the problem by not cutting it very often.

Right now I get my hair cut every 2-3 years.  I usually cut 8-10 inches off (and donate it) when I do and get a very very short cut and then grow it out until it is long enough it bothers me.

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2015, 12:03:49 PM »
I asked my husband to start cutting my hair.  He was a bit hesitant, but I convinced him.  I only get my hair cut once a year and it's usually long enough to donate it.  I just put my hair in a pony tail and he cut straight across.  We took it down and we combed it out to make sure it was essentially straight.  My hair is wavy, so it's not essential it's exactly straight.  I've gotten quite a few compliments on it.

I like saving money on the haircut, but to be honest the convenience was a much bigger factor for me.  I just have to walk outside and 5 minutes later it's done.  I do kind of miss the stylist washing and playing with my hair, but when we're watching a movie or reading or something I ask my husband and he will play with my hair.  :)

Boganvillia

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2015, 01:15:30 AM »
I used to, when I was utterly broke. These days I have experimented with salons run out of beauty schools. I always come back to my relatively expensive hairdresser.

My hair is fine and mousy and having the $ spent on my head lets me get away with minimal expenditure on clothes, and also minimal time getting it ready in the morning. 

HalfDollar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2015, 01:19:13 AM »
My partner does it. It's really easy.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2015, 05:14:05 AM »
My last haircut was 2 years ago, before that it was 4 years. I'm at the point now where it really needs a cut and I find myself always wearing it in a bun to hide the ends. I hate paying someone to do it but I'm also terrified to do it myself.

MillenialMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2015, 09:52:01 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-GAilMmCqQ.

Yesss!! I just tried this too and it worked really well. I wasn't too nervous since my hair is pretty long, any unevenness is pretty hidden and mistakes could've been fixed without making it too short. I always hated going to the salon and I'd avoid it until my hair got crazy split ends. This time I actually did it when they first appeared instead of waiting 3 more months :) I've definitely enjoyed having "long layers" (generally keeping the shortest layer longer than chin-length) and this is perfect! In the past I've wound up getting the layers cut out just to get rid of all of the icky ends, but now I can keep it layered!

I had been meaning to try this for a couple weeks and then we just bought a new set of clippers for my boyfriend since his were dying (he buzzes his head). They came with some hair scissors so I had to use them! Thank you, velocistar, for this video, I never would've thought it could be that easy!

I just wanted to +1 this again. I tried it this weekend and it worked great! I am so proud of myself for cutting my own hair!

FoodieCycles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Foodie Cycles Blog
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2015, 12:26:23 PM »
YES! I do cut my own- it's mid back length, I watched a few you tube video's and gave it a go. Loving it, and loving the price even more :) I also Color it myself as well- with HENNA. It makes my hair look and feel AMAZING

Anyone else color your own?

PatStab

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2015, 04:25:35 PM »
I give my DD and I trims.  I can trim around hers and her bangs and then get it cut ever 2 motnhs.

I can trim mine all the way around but with layering or thinning I go to a shop.  I have waves
and now my hair is longer I roll it again, short I just blow dry.  DD's is to coarse and wavy to let
get long and if I error its such you don't see it.  But we still get professional haircuts too.

MLKnits

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2015, 04:28:59 PM »
I've been cutting my hair since long before I got my spending in check. Always seemed like a stupid thing to spend money and time on, as I'm not winning any beauty pageants regardless of how I'm coiffed. Much like makeup counters, hair salons just make me feel self-conscious and uncomfortable. My bathroom mirror and a pair of sharp scissors, on the other hand, make me feel cool and self-sufficient.

mandy_2002

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2015, 04:52:01 PM »
OP, I appear to have very similar hair to yours (my "fringe" is a little thinner, but the color is spot on).  I've been going to a guy who insists that I come in every 6 weeks... I haven't ever done this, but I do start getting annoyed with it at about 3 months.  I think I could trim my bangs myself (very slowly), but getting his cut on my own wouldn't happen.  This is something I could definitely try after leaving my job, though. 

forkneedlepen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2015, 05:15:12 PM »
I have always trimmed my hair with occasional hair cuts every few years in between. In the past six months though, I've started cutting my husband and three kids' hair. My advice is that YouTube is your friend and that it does help to buy the right tools (hair cutting scissors, thinning shears, and clippers). I made up the cost of the tools with the first two hair cuts, so it was money well spent.

blue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2015, 05:18:59 PM »
I go twice a year for a curly cut, with a curly-hair specialist. I love her work, and I write press releases and Facebook posts for her in exchange for my cut as I'm a professional writer.

kiblebuka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2015, 05:51:54 PM »
Nope nope nope nope. My hair is too curly and unpredictable for me to attempt doing it myself. Also my depth perception is horrible.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2015, 07:13:25 PM »
My husband cut my hair for the first time last month and it went just fine (and we're still married). I was really hesitant at first, but it totally worked and now I don't think I'll ever go to a salon again.