Author Topic: Just leave things broken?  (Read 7515 times)

Melisande

• Bristles
Just leave things broken?
« on: October 30, 2018, 08:24:59 AM »
Two separate, yet related issues here.

First, I have become aware that some of our dinnerware is chipped and becoming more so year by year. Frankly, I could care less if we eat off of chipped plates or not. But I will be hosting a ladies’ lunch soon and am feeling self-conscious about the issue. Up until this time, I solved the “problem” by giving myself and my closest friend the chipped plates, but now I have three chipped ones. Sigh. Seriously, do I go ahead and order replacement plates, dishes, etc. just for appearances or not? I really don’t want to, but is there an argument for this?

Second, I got into a very minor parking lot accident the other day (Another party and I mutually backed into each other). The damage looked really minor and we didn’t exchange insurance information. However, now that I’m at the repair shop, I am being told it will take about $800 to fix. (Some scratches in paint as well as a replacement for a cracked outer tail light cover). Oh, come on. Again, really I could care less if my car looks pristine and neither the scratches nor the crack look that bad. Plus, it is only the white part of the cover that is cracked, so it is perfectly legal to drive. Plus it is stable and not “leaking,” water not getting inside. The service person suggested that I just get special tape from a car supply place to put over the crack to make sure it stays stable and dry. So, just leave it or leave the scratches and buy the tape and drive with a slightly dinged up car?

Also, do you just leave things slightly broken sometimes instead of repairing? Or do you see this as a slippery slope to slovenliness, irresponsibility and social disgrace?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 08:26:36 AM by Melisande »

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Just leave things broken?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 08:29:42 AM »
Plates are kind of meh. It's up to you. Could you get nice Chinet plastic plates instead? They have some pretty fancy looking ones at Target sometimes.

The car thing has also happened to me. It depends if your insurance will cover a damaged vehicle. Mine required me to fix it. :/ Cosmetic damage is usually more expensive than mechanical work. A new bumper for my 2005 Ford Focus was over $1,000.

Badass by 41

• Stubble
    • Journal
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 08:34:57 AM »
For the dinner party, make it like an ugly sweater party and have everyone bring their most chipped plates. ;-)

Regarding the car, we bought a 2014 Subaru Forester new off the lot (prior to finding our way to the mustache. Punch us in the face), and within a month, someone had run into and collapsed our front passenger quarter panel. $1800+ estimate to replace and paint. We paid $300 to have the dent “popped” back out, and have lived with the minor cosmetic “roughness” since. Might be an issue when/if we sell, but nothing we can’t live with until then. 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 08:38:16 AM »
A lot of my plates are chipped, doesn't bother me. If it ever did though a pack of six plates is only $16 from Amazon. We deliberately chose non-patterned (white) Corelle plates so that we wouldn't have problems replacing them if they ever broke. 10+ years now and they are all still in pretty good shape. If something is functional or there is a reasonable workaround or we just don't use it then I typically don't go out of my way to fix it.

For the car accident since the other party wasn't at fault (presumably) you would have to pay your insurance deductible anyway to get it fixed. Whether you choose to fix it depends on how much you care about the car. For an older, common vehicle you are highly unlikely to recoup the repair cost when you sell it. for a newer and/or rare vehicle it can be worthwhile to fix. There is also always the risk that you'll get hit again in the same spot, in which case the repair cost would be completely wasted.

One of our cars was hit in a parking lot pretty bad several years ago and I chose to take the insurance payout (~$600) instead of fixing it. The car was already in pretty mediocre cosmetic shape. Last year I crashed it and it went to the scrapper anyway, so I'm really happy to have taken the cash.

Stimpy

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 08:40:29 AM »
For the plates, you could do 1 of 3 things, 1 get plastic ware (bleh), 2 get new plates(Seems ridiculous to me) , 3 chip a few more plates and call it fashionable. (After all isn't it the new fad to look cheap? or maybe i am a couple years off!)  Or just say meh, and realize that most of these people aren't going to care once things get going.

As for the car, as stated see if Insurance requires it fixed and will cover it, and if not, do plan A (The tape etc).

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 08:52:55 AM »
I second getting Corelle for the plates, they're cheap and durable

For the car, if you can live with it, just live with it.  If not, unfortunately, bodywork is expensive.  It might help if you tell them you're paying out of pocket and just want it to look decent

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 09:28:19 AM »
Not only is it not terrible, the start of a downward spiral, etc, I find imperfection helpful and positive. (And I’m a pretty particular person!)

*It allows friends to relax. When everyone is trying to maintain perfection, more and more people are stressing. When one person allows the third chipped plate at dinner, others can breathe a sigh of relief, feel comfy inviting you and others to their place, realign their own priorities to what matters most, etc.

*I bought a brand new shiny car. When it got a scrape (mirror against wood pole while backing out of very tight space), I was momentarily dismayed. Then I made a decision: Did I want to spend this car’s whole life fretting upon each ding? If I kept this scuff intact, wouldn’t I feel much easier about the next one? So I kept it.

I think there is great value and benefit to leaving things broken (so long as they don’t, as you noted, trigger actual physical problems).

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 09:38:10 AM »
I'll leave stuff broken as long as it's not sharp enough to cut someone or interfere with the functionality of the item. I don't think anyone really cares about chipped plates, and if anyone does say something, just say you're an environmentalist and you don't want to replace something perfectly good for no reason. I have chipped mugs and bowls and it doesn't bother me.
The car, I'd just make sure it's not going to get worse, the tape seems like a good solution. I don't think it's worth making a claim over.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 10:27:01 AM »
I like mix & match plates, so I buys hated for strikes my fancy at the thrift store. Anything that gets chipped gets downgraded to a plant saucer.

I don’t care if the car gets dinged. If it runs, it’s fine.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 10:28:01 AM »
I had someone back into me and crack my bumper, and I decided to pocket the insurance money rather than get it fixed, since it was purely cosmetic, and since the car already had some cosmetic damage. I ended up giving the car to my MIL a couple years later and she complains about it but oh well, that's her problem, not mine.

For the plates, could you get a set of inexpensive "special occasion" plates to use for luncheons and dinner parties, and keep your chipped ones for daily use? That way the "special occasion" ones should last forever. Thrift stores always have tons of dinnerware so that would be a good place to look.

Melisande

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 10:28:09 AM »
Not only is it not terrible, the start of a downward spiral, etc, I find imperfection helpful and positive. (And I’m a pretty particular person!)

*It allows friends to relax. When everyone is trying to maintain perfection, more and more people are stressing. When one person allows the third chipped plate at dinner, others can breathe a sigh of relief, feel comfy inviting you and others to their place, realign their own priorities to what matters most, etc.

*I bought a brand new shiny car. When it got a scrape (mirror against wood pole while backing out of very tight space), I was momentarily dismayed. Then I made a decision: Did I want to spend this car’s whole life fretting upon each ding? If I kept this scuff intact, wouldn’t I feel much easier about the next one? So I kept it.

I think there is great value and benefit to leaving things broken (so long as they don’t, as you noted, trigger actual physical problems).

Thanks! Just the kind of re-framing I was looking for.

I'll leave stuff broken as long as it's not sharp enough to cut someone or interfere with the functionality of the item. I don't think anyone really cares about chipped plates, and if anyone does say something, just say you're an environmentalist and you don't want to replace something perfectly good for no reason. I have chipped mugs and bowls and it doesn't bother me.
The car, I'd just make sure it's not going to get worse, the tape seems like a good solution. I don't think it's worth making a claim over.

Ditto. Plus I love the “I’m an environmentalist” argument.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 10:28:16 AM »
I don't sweat it as long as the item is still functional and safe, and it doesn't annoy the hell out of me with workarounds.  I dented our vehicle bumper and broke the taillight cover backing into a tree.  I replaced the cover since it was badly broken (DIY for ~$60), knocked out the dent as best I could and haven't worried about it since.  Insurance wasn't an issue since it was an older vehicle and I only had liability on it anyway.  I would buy the tape though and seal it up.  That should only be a few $, and it'll keep moisture from getting in, and possibly prevent you from having to replace bulbs early.  Similarly, with a previous car that was worth about $500, I duct-taped my wing mirror on after someone knocked it off.  I've also stapled or glued up falling headliners, and done other little fixes just to keep something functional.  On the other hand, safety concerns like brakes and tires get replaced as soon as they need it.     

Dishes-wise, do you think anyone in this group will really judge you harshly for having a chipped dish?  If you are really worried about it, you can rent sets of nice dishes from event places, or see if a friend will loan you a set.  Or go to Goodwill or estate sales, or check Freecycle or Buy Nothing.  People are constantly giving away dishes, sometimes even nice older china.  Get some that either match or complement your current set.   

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 12:00:43 PM »
The dishes: You don't want to replace them, so don't! :)

Somewhat less flippantly, I generally hold that if someone is going  to actually be judgmental about something like a chipped plate, they're not really people I want in my house anyways. At this point, I blessedly don't have anyone in my life who I'm not very happy to invite into my home. So if I feel an urge like that, I try to interrogate it -- and pretty much 100% of the time it's me dealing with something totally unrelated to the dishes: feelings about where I am in my life versus where I'm ~supposed~ to be, problems in some other area of my life that I'm avoiding while trying to "fix" a thing that isn't really a problem, etc. Then I can deal with the thing that's actually going on, as opposed to spending to keep up with the Joneses.

Re the car: I'd replace the cracked tail cover because of the risk of moisture getting in. Repair scratches on the car? No. That's just cosmetic and therefore really does not matter to me -- if anything, it makes my car less of a target to thieves!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2018, 12:44:51 PM »
For the plates, could you get a set of inexpensive "special occasion" plates to use for luncheons and dinner parties, and keep your chipped ones for daily use? That way the "special occasion" ones should last forever. Thrift stores always have tons of dinnerware so that would be a good place to look.

We have non-chipped plates for company (they're not special in any way, just matching settings and not chipped) and use the same plates we've had since early adulthood for everyday use (chipped, non-matching). 

In your case, you could solve the problem by making a second close friend who will also eat off a chipped plate without complaint.  ;)

bestname

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2018, 02:25:54 PM »
Chipped dishes, like worn rugs, are the kind of thing that middle class people worry about. People with real money DGAF about such bourgeois things.

At least that's the story I tell myself in these situations!

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2018, 02:29:11 PM »
Dishes, no big deal.   But not fixing cars tends to lead to not fixing the next thing, then the next thing, then neglecting routine maintenance, etc.   Next thing you know you are driving an unreliable, unsafe piece of junk.   I strongly favor keeping automobiles in first rate condition, it's a tool we rely on nearly every day.

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 03:41:20 PM »
I'm cheap don't get me wrong and I probably still have the first dollar I ever made, but two things I do spend money on are my house ie: I like having presentable furniture ect and my car.  I always make sure my car is clean and looks nice.  By doing these two things it makes me enjoy my life a lot more and it helps me not notice all the other things I put off or do without because of being a cheap skate....

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 05:40:18 PM »
But I actually don’t care what the outside of the car looks like. The only point of the car is to get us places, and if it does that, I am utterly indifferent to some dings.

I truly would care more about the dishes, but I like dishes.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2018, 05:48:33 PM »
My car has a crack in the plastic bumper, it's had it for over 6 years. Over that time my car has gotten older and depreciated in value, now its just another old car. At one time it would have made a difference to the resale value, now it doesn't matter. But I still have the cash on hand to fix it anytime I feel like; or I can continue to not worry about it since the car is from 2003.

If people are going to judge me they'll probably judge me on driving an old car, not the crack in the plastic bumper. Eventually cars get old, at some point they all end up in the wrecking yard. Sadly, the wreckers won't have a pristine bumper when they demolish my old car...

I've had a lot of people suggest repairing useless things, I also know a lot of people who retire at 65.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2018, 05:58:46 PM »
I have a few chipped dishes and don't care (although I do take an emory board to them to file off the sharpness), but cracked dishes can be unsafe to eat off, because they can hold bacteria.
For the car, it just really depends on the imperfection - how much it bothers me and whether it is acceptable for the age of the car.

Tester

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2018, 06:37:39 PM »
Car - got a quote of 2300 for some scraping and some dings.
150 and some work from me took care of the scrapes because they were starting to rust.
For the dings I need to get time to try some things, I suspect I will be able to get most of it out.

Also, cracked rear stoplight, service quoted me for 450 usd, replaced myself for 120.

ThatGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2018, 06:53:22 PM »
"Up until this time, I solved the “problem” by giving myself and my closest friend the chipped plates, but now I have three chipped ones."
Get another friend. :)

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2018, 07:45:38 PM »
Chipped dishes, like worn rugs, are the kind of thing that middle class people worry about. People with real money DGAF about such bourgeois things.

Kate Fox, in "Watching the English", would agree with you. Her big thing was coasters - they're such a middle-class thing. The rich [old money] don't care what the hell you think about their stuff. No need to show off with conspicuous consumption.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2018, 09:21:41 PM »
Or just get some "fancy" paper plates and save yourself the dish washing? Paper is my go-to for all parties, Thanksgiving, get-together, etc. I have enough on my plate (har har) without adding dish washing for large get-togethers. Same with "nice" paper napkins.

Don't use plastic!
Otherwise - who cares about chips? And if it really bothers you, Correll is the way to go - those plates are nearly indestructible.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2018, 09:52:23 AM »
I bought 4 white / complementary plates from the thrift store.  $4.    Mix and match is a real decorator thing.   
I do toss chipped plates eventually but now that we have corelle for everyday, that is not something we need to worry about.

I do not fix the dings, dents, cracked bumper of my car. I do fix cracked windshields and tail lights.     The tape is not as good for others, and will come off, and you will get water in there creating more damage.

Note that if you don't fix some dents / scratches or top coat them immediately, they will incur rust and that will be a problem in about 7 years.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2018, 10:03:39 AM »
I don't think I'd like to eat off of chippped plates. I'd be worried about bacteria, some other substance sloughing off into my food. But that's just me. Maybe it's not rational, but I can't be responsible for all the things that run through my head. I have no issue eating off of paper plates though.

Then again, I have a set of Correlle plates and bowls so don't have to worry about it. It was like the only thing I wanted when my grandma passed away 5 years ago.
I'm not sure you can chip those.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2018, 10:07:11 AM »
I have corelle plates, and I still managed to break one. But in general, yes they are great and the rest are still in great condition almost 10 years in.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2018, 10:08:18 AM »
Corelle doesn’t chip, and it doesn’t break easily, but eventually you will drop something and it was shatter into a thousand little sharp shards. LOL
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 06:10:13 PM by Cranky »

MDfive21

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2018, 10:29:28 AM »
Cornell’s doesn’t chip, and it doesn’t break easily, but eventually you will drop something and it was shatter into a thousand little sharp shards. LOL

just one thousand is a very conservative estimate.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2018, 10:45:15 AM »
If the scratches are deep (metal showing), get some color-matched touchup paint (online, or from the dealer if you must) to fill them in. IT won't look perfect, but it should resist rust and make the defects less obvious.

I've never had a cracked light cover so I can't comment on that. Again, I would worry about the water/corrosion aspect more than anything. Might be worth looking into what it would take to replace the cover yourself?

On the plates, I'd ask myself which would be more acceptable to you: cheap but pristine plates (corelle, etc.), or your current chipped plates? Replacing with new fancy plates shouldn't be necessary, unless you're hosting the Queen or something!

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2018, 01:19:34 PM »
I know the feeling.

You have gotten some good suggestions on what to do so I wont add any.  I will add a random thing we have. 

We let other cosmetic things go, and then forget about them until we have company over.  Like when we bought the house the bedroom door was partially broken in (the outside to the hollow inside, but not all the way though).  It's just me and DH so we don't worry about it.  But when we had guests over I got pretty sensitive about it, but it was too late to do anything about it.  Twelve years later I still occasionally think about fixing or replacing, but eh.   There are so many more things for people to judge me about, the door shouldn't really be high on the list.

DH and I live really modestly (but idiosyncratically), so I'm not too keen on having people from work over that aren't good friends and know we are... odd.   

LV

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2018, 02:27:59 PM »
Buy a few pretty thrift shop plates. Tape up the car. Enjoy the abundance in our lives, and dont worry about the little things.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2018, 03:38:58 PM »
I get rid of chipped crockery promptly unless the item has sentimental value (my husband's favourite mug, a gift from his children more than ten years ago, for example) or there's another reason to keep it. When we had lots of children and comers-and-goers at home we had a large stack of pretty plates I'd bought in thrift shops over the years, and when we had to rationalise our belongings for a house move I gave them all back to a thrift shop. If I had so many guests that I couldn't give them each an intact plate, I'd ask a friend to lend me some crockery for the occasion.

The car ... in principle, I'm all for fixing it. In practice, I left my last car with a huge wing ding for years.

We've lived for years with a kitchen range cooker that has one oven that works and one that doesn't and a couple of hob rings that won't come on. I assume the fix would be easy, but our motivation to organise and wait in for a repair technician is low.

Jaayse

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2018, 03:43:49 PM »
Cornell’s doesn’t chip, and it doesn’t break easily, but eventually you will drop something and it was shatter into a thousand little sharp shards. LOL

Not completely true... I totally agree about the shattering into thousands of little shards, but I do have a corelle bowl that has a chip on it's rim. 

I don't know how it got there without the whole thing shattering, but it was a bowl I got from my parents that they had from long before I was born (over 30 years) and that I grew up using.

As for the car, if the scratches/dents are cosmetic and don't endanger the car to rust or further damage, I don't worry about them.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2018, 03:48:53 PM »
For the car, it really depends on a lot of factors.

If you are going to drive the thing into the ground or near (15year plus) there is no point.

If you plan to sell the car close to its prime, you'll probably recoup most of the cost of you sell privately. If you trade into a dealer you're SOL no matter what ;)

On the other hand, if fixing it makes you keep the car longer, it can be worth it too.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2018, 03:53:32 PM »
Re the car: I'd replace the cracked tail cover because of the risk of moisture getting in. Repair scratches on the car? No. That's just cosmetic and therefore really does not matter to me -- if anything, it makes my car less of a target to thieves!

Cosmetic damage does not deter thieves. Thieves only want your car for the non-tracable parts that they can strip and sell.

Unless you have some ultra rare or otherwise special car that they can sneak overseas...

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2018, 05:01:20 PM »
I have always thrown away chipped dishes because bacteria can settle in it. I won’t eat off a chipped plate. We always have corelleware for everyday use.  They last forever. In 43 years I am on my third set only because I couldn’t stand the pattern anymore.  I like dishes so have a nice set for company but you certainly don’t need to. Or buy them in thrift stores. I buy all my wine glasses there and then don’t care if they get broke. I also don’t care if the glasses match. The car I wouldn’t fix.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2018, 05:09:51 PM »

It does chip over a long period of time.  My boyfriend's dishes are 40+ year old Corelle dishes his parents passed on to him when he got an apartment of his own.  I don't think there is a single plate without chips on the edge.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2018, 06:13:20 PM »
Price a replacement light housing on eBay and car-part.com -- you might be able to snag a used one for cheap and fix it properly.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2018, 08:21:13 PM »
Ask someone to bring a couple of plates over because you just smashed one and you are short of a set. Hide the chipped ones til they've gone! I have friends who are funny about hygiene but i think they wouldn't care about a matching set.

eostache

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2018, 08:38:26 PM »
Regarding the cracked taillight case: My old (17 years, very old?) Subaru has cracks in the taillights and they were filling up with water when it rained. Instead of trying to fix all the cracks, and didn't want to bother replacing them, we just drilled some holes in the bottom part of the tailights so the water could drain out. (Plus a hole up near the top for air.) Have not had problems with them full of water since.

noplaceliketheroad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2018, 02:21:42 PM »
I think it depends on who is coming over for ladies lunch. Is it a group that you've been meeting with for years and just know socially? Use your plates.

Or will the lunch involve your boss / potential freelance clients? Are you in a design field where aesthetics play an important part of your job? For example, are you an interior designer? And some of the luncheon guests have recently mentioned they would like to redo their decor? If so, replace the plates.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2018, 05:04:57 PM »
For fixing stuff, I generally go with a delay tactic. Even acknowledging to guests that x is absent/brokenish, but I haven't decided what to do about it yet. If the dust settles after the lunch and you feel uncomfortable with using chipped dishes, then you replace the chipped ones before next time you host. I would definitely do mismatched with cheap or thrifted plates.

Or if something does beyond repair. I will dispose of it before replacing, and figure out if I need a replacement, or something a little different, or can borrow it once a year.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2018, 05:19:07 AM »
I like to borrow things like extra plates and glasses from relatives or close friends. No point in buying them and storing them to use them twice a year, even if you get them from the thrift shop. I also encourage people to lend stuff from me in return (I have lots of sewing / craft tools, for example) because we will all use less valuable resouces that way.

If the lunch is somehow business related and you need to look professional, you can also rent plates for a day.

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2018, 05:54:42 AM »
If someone mentions the chipped plate, exclaim "OMG how did that happen??" and glare at her.

No, just kidding.   For a fancy ladies luncheon, I would not like to use chipped plates.  I might go to the thrift store and buy a set of 4 coordinating plates to use in addition to the ones I have.  They don't have to match.  Or, ask a close friend to bring 4 coordinating dishes.  That way I'd have my 6 non chipped plates and the 4 coordinating (maybe accent colors) plates.  It would look special, and no one would be eating off of a chipped plate.

I say this because I can get 4 plates at my thrift store for less than $5.  If I am getting chips on three plates, chances are they are running out of their useful life and more will start chipping.  And eating every day off of chipped plates and using bent spoons would drag my spirit down.  They are small things, but they are everyday things, so I'd try to find a cheap solution while keeping an eye out for an inexpensive new set in the next couple of years as it seems more will chip over time.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2018, 08:19:50 AM »
Yes, a chipped plate bothers the hell out of me and you never know when it might continue to split across the plate or someone might cut themselves, especially children with their tender skin.
Our local thrift stores charge 25 cents for one plate, sometimes only 10 cents. A brand new plate can be had for "one dollar" at the dollar store.
No, I wouldn't spend extra money on Chinet plates, one-time use - no thank you, money and resources wasted.

Once a plate is chipped it becomes a plant saucer or a mosaic for my garden. You may call me bourgeois if you like, but I enjoy using nice plates when our friends and family come over.

On the car, it depends - most likely I'd ask my son to find me a replacement cover and some stuff to fix any scratches. I prefer upkeep and maintenance on my stuff - even my clunker car at 20 years old looked decent and cared for.

Overall, my tendency is always to immediately fix and replace, but living with Mr. R. has let creep - delay - creep in. He knows the kitchen light is broken and not fixable, but as long as one bulb remains working he couldn't care less. I feel like shooting it out:)
Somehow he seems to think it saves him money to not replace it - meanwhile, it drives me nuts until I get used to it too. But as soon as it is back on my radar - I'll give it another go (already tried two replacements - neither would work - it is a difficult spot and I'm having trouble finding the right size, wattage and style).

Bourgeois to me means you buy a new sweater if your old one has a tear - rich people darn the hole and continue wearing it (because they bought good quality to begin with-to last a long time). However, they do not run around with holes in their sweaters.
Sort of like the academic elite that used to wear elbow patches on their sweaters:) to show off their indifference to material things and appearances or maybe to hide their poverty - who knows:)

Who cares - friends will accept you and your chipped plates as they are, although they might tease you or question you, that's what friends do.
Strangers and bosses are another matter, depends mostly on whether their opinion and decisions affect you (financially or prevent you from a promotion) or not.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2018, 08:24:42 AM »
I'd borrow plates from a friend and not replace.  I'm always concerned that chipped dishes will hold bacteria so I generally don't use them.  Cosmetic issues, I just roll with it.  For example, my twelve year old cuisinart needs to have a piece held down by a palette knife to work.  I refuse to buy a new one since that is the only problem.  My car has multiple dings where idiots hit me with shopping carts and don't leave notes, it still drives just fine. 

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2018, 07:16:05 PM »
I'd like to believe that no one gets invited to my house if they are the type to turn up their nose at imperfection, but I realize that's not always my reality. So I'd probably be tempted to do something about the dishes, too (even though I probably wouldn't even notice at someone else's house). But I'd rather be accused of poor taste than a lack of concern about my guests' health. I had never heard that before, about bacteria living in the cracks in dishes. Is that really a thing? Is there some kind of evidence (meaning a published study) that they really do live in there and they really do make people sick? This is the first I've heard of it. I can see that being an old wives' tale, but I can also see it being true.

I typically fix things if it will mitigate future damage (tangible like the car or intangible like your social/professional life) or if they have become so severe or frequently-used/noticed that they really bug me. I feel much happier about replacing something if I wait until it really needs to be done. I'm currently waiting for my toaster oven to complete its dying process so I can get a new-to-me one! But it still works, after 5-6 pushes of the "start" button, so it gets to keep its spot on the counter for now.

E.T.

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2018, 01:32:18 PM »
...I had never heard that before, about bacteria living in the cracks in dishes. Is that really a thing? Is there some kind of evidence (meaning a published study) that they really do live in there and they really do make people sick? This is the first I've heard of it. I can see that being an old wives' tale, but I can also see it being true...

I hadn't heard this before either and googled it a bit and couldn't find anything convincing to support the idea. I think most dish cleaning methods don't get rid of germs in general, unless you run the dishes in a very hot dishwasher or soak in sanitizing solution. So generally, the "clean" plates that aren't chipped are probably just as germy as the ones that are chipped.

People have been eating on chipped plates and germy dishes since way before the sanitizing dishwasher cycle was invented, so I think you're in the clear. The main thing is to not wait too long before washing the dishes, or you'll get a lovely stubborn biofilm of bacteria growing that will be harder to remove.

Note to water bottle re-users, biofilm loves damp dark places and saliva. It's often harmless but can harbor stuff that will make you sick. Make sure you clean and fully dry out your water bottle each night after use.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2018, 01:54:47 PM »
I'm skeptical about the bacteria argument too -- there are lots of things a lot more porous than cracked china that we use every day in cooking and serving (wooden spoons, cutting boards of all sorts...)

The perception of uncleanliness might be a concern, I guess. It would never occur to me. & I feel more intimidated than pleased by flawless plate settings. So I guess it all depends on the guests and how anxious you are to please them.

I ignore non-functional dings on my car. Not so much because of the money as because of the time. For heaven's sake, I have real things to do! I can't be fussing about my car all the time.