Author Topic: JL Collins - Site down?  (Read 6060 times)

Rfactor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
JL Collins - Site down?
« on: May 08, 2014, 03:21:54 PM »
Trying to read his stock series below and keep getting 404 Not Found error.  Been funky for a couple weeks......anyone else having this problem?

http://jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series/

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
Re: JL Collins - Site down?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 03:27:06 PM »
It has been going in and out and loading without formatting for me until the last couple of days. I remember reading that he was having difficulties with either the coding or the host site. Really hope it comes back soon!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 03:36:06 PM »
He was having some hosting issues.  I'll ping him and see what's up.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 07:00:52 PM »
According to www.isitdownrightnow.com, that website is having problems. It's not your system.

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 07:16:51 PM »
Web Archive (web.archive.org) is a good place to go to get at site content when the live host is down.

For example you can see jlcollins's site with this URL:

http://web.archive.org/web/20140208004222/http://jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series/

Cheers

edit: sloppy typo

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 09:58:13 PM »
Jim says he's working on moving the site to a new host.

For now the Internet Archive link Dr. Doom posted is probably the best way to access an archive of the site.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 11:07:39 AM »
Site is back up, and on the new host now.  He's still having some issues with the theme and some other widgets.

Hoping he can get it straightened out before getting so frustrated he throws in the towel.  :)

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 10:51:02 PM »
Hoping he can get it straightened out before getting so frustrated he throws in the towel.  :)
There are roughly 400 FinCon bloggers and website gurus standing by on the Facebook group to help him out.  He could pay them for the help but I think enough of them have benefited from his writing over the years to be happy to offer pro bono labor.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 08:50:07 AM »
There are roughly 400 FinCon bloggers and website gurus standing by on the Facebook group to help him out.  He could pay them for the help but I think enough of them have benefited from his writing over the years to be happy to offer pro bono labor.

He tried paid help twice over the past few months (which came highly recommended) and both made it worse.  If you (or anyone else reading this) have any recommendations for someone competent with web hosting, wordpress, etc., I'm sure he'd love to hear it.  :)

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 03:34:04 PM »

He tried paid help twice over the past few months (which came highly recommended) and both made it worse.  If you (or anyone else reading this) have any recommendations for someone competent with web hosting, wordpress, etc., I'm sure he'd love to hear it.  :)
Bummer.

Jesse Michelsen, co-founder of MANteresting.com and owner of AntiNecktie.com. 
http://jessemichelsen.com/

I've seen him speak at FinCon12, including a live demo where he hacked into (volunteer) audience member's websites to show them how to improve their WordPress security.  I think Jim was at the same FinCon, or maybe I met him at FinCon13.

Hopefully Jim's database hasn't been trashed by earlier repair attempts.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!