Author Topic: Is this a good deal? Vehicle Swap: '02 Ram 2500 for '88 Civic CRX  (Read 2422 times)

Snownoir

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hello wonderfully wise folks. I'm new to this group and new to Mustachianism (though closer than I realized).

I have a dilemma that is just wrecking my logical and emotional brain. I was wondering if you'd care to weigh in!

Currently own:
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel
  • It gets 20 mpg reliably
  • Has 220k miles on it
  • It can easily double that before the engine tries to crap out
  • Bought it with cash for $7k
  • Looking to sell it for around $8500 (Accurate KBB value)
  • I've put over $1500 into it.

What I to buy is this: http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/5124757207.html
Unmolested 1988 Honda Civic CRX HF
  • I am offering $3000 - $3500 for it
  • It gets 45-55 mpg (I believe that)
  • It has 153k miles on it
  • It will likely get another 100k mi without issue
  • BUT, its an '88 and has a salvaged title (as explained in the CL add)

Currently, I drive 100miles a day

O.o

I shell out $300 in fuel a month and $167 set aside for maintenance (oil changes, fuel filters, tires, and parts for breakdowns).

I move in Oct and that will drop my daily commute down to about 40mi a day, I know its still high.

I have been getting mixed suggestions from family and friends on whether this is a good idea.
Some say jump on it, others say to stay FAR away.

What are your thoughts? Do you think this is a good deal or should I go with something newer, more expensive, less expensive, etc.

All thoughts and criticisms and other vehicle suggestions are appreciated :)

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Is this a good deal? Vehicle Swap: '02 Ram 2500 for '88 Civic CRX
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 09:42:27 AM »
Too old.  Especially to drive 100 miles per day.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 09:56:00 AM »
Too old.  Especially to drive 100 miles per day.

Eh, A guy I work with drives that exact car everyday to work.  He's currently around 240k miles and drive about 70 miles a day.

I have not done any research, but 3k seems way over priced for such an old car, especially for a salvaged title.  For something that old I would offer 1500 at the high end.

You could probably get a newer car, that gets just as good of gas mileage for 3k.  Like a 95 civic or something of the sorts. In my area you can get a 2000 civic for 3k with 120k miles.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 09:57:41 AM by Cromacster »

Reynolds531

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 10:32:45 AM »
CRXs have the heart of a lion. You get a hugely reliable car, and if you take care of it you will have a collectable car someday. This is not a joke, go on Jalnapik - you will find articles on CRXs.

dudde_devaru

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 10:41:41 AM »
Whatte lovely CRX! Its incredibly difficult to find a clean non-riced CRX! That's the reason he is asking that price! Still depends on your priority. A ruining condition 1996-98 corolla gives 28-30mpg can be had for less than half the price. It is reliable and runs great.

If this is some sort of a heart vs mind situation for you, listen to the heart ;)

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 10:51:44 AM »
I have not done any research, but 3k seems way over priced for such an old car, especially for a salvaged title.  For something that old I would offer 1500 at the high end.

CRXs are much more desirable than normal old cars.

I say buy it, but try to talk the seller down as much as you can (ideally $3000 or less, but I wouldn't expect to do that well).

Keep in mind that first-gen Insights are sometimes pretty darn cheap these days (and essentially equivalent to the CRX, but better)... don't pay more for the CRX than you could get an Insight for.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 10:54:21 AM by Jack »

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 12:59:19 PM »
Do believe the 45-55 mpg, and please PM me if you don't buy the CRX, because I want to.

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 01:18:41 PM »

CRXs are much more desirable than normal old cars.

I say buy it, but try to talk the seller down as much as you can (ideally $3000 or less, but I wouldn't expect to do that well).

Keep in mind that first-gen Insights are sometimes pretty darn cheap these days (and essentially equivalent to the CRX, but better)... don't pay more for the CRX than you could get an Insight for.

CRXs are expensive here, too.  I did end up getting an '04 5 speed Insight (in Phoenix, AZ -- they're also stupidly expensive here in OR) which gets even better mpg than a CRX HF, with better performance.  But the CRX is a better looking car, and if the OP's daily mileage is going down to 40 the gas money savings wouldn't pay for the eventual hybrid battery replacement for a long time.  I had an '89 CRX that I got up to about 300,000 miles before I started having enough problems that I decided to sell it. 

Snownoir

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 07:46:45 PM »
Do believe the 45-55 mpg, and please PM me if you don't buy the CRX, because I want to.

I'll let you know.

Thank you everyone. I'm test driving it tomorrow after work. He has someone, supposedly, comin Friday to buy it for $3800. If that doesn't happen, he'll likely take my offer.

Those that mentioned the Insight, I'll look into that as well.

Sounds like my heart is encouraging me in the right direction. ;)

bluecollarmusician

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 08:03:23 PM »
I the right part of the country a low mileage Insight can be had in that price range.  Battery maintenance can be work, but they are great cars.  Most older batteries can be rehabbed if you put in the time.  Insight central is a wealth of info, and can be diy'ed depending on the person.