Author Topic: IRS CP2000  (Read 2621 times)

haleygandy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
IRS CP2000
« on: October 05, 2017, 07:23:31 PM »
I received a CP2000 letter from the IRS today saying my husband and i owe them $17,108. They are saying that my income was not reported, but when I go back and look at the W2's and whats on my 1040 my income is obviously reported. I played around with it and it looks like the think the reported amount was my husbands alone, when in fact it was both of our combined since we filed married jointly. So, they have basically added my income in twice. Has anyone experienced this? I about threw up when I opened the mail this evening. Should I just write the letter and send in our W2's or should I go up to my local IRS office? I just don't want this to drag out and become some back and fourth thing.

Please help!

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
Re: IRS CP2000
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 07:58:57 PM »
You have a local IRS office? If so, yes, start there or you may find yourself providing "proof" by mail multiple times until somebody that gives a damn bothers to look into it. Barring the local office, you could try calling the IRS and explaining the situation. A 45 min wait time isn't unheard of.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 11:13:56 AM »
If your local IRS office isn't far, go there.  Ours requires that you make an appointment ahead of time, so don't just show up with no notice.  Bring with you all the W-2s for that tax year and photocopies of them.  Bring a copy of your tax return, just in case.

If you end up mailing something, don't mail the original W-2s in case something gets lost in transit.  If you mail anything, send it Return Receipt Requested.

Don't worry.  If they are actually just counting your income twice, this is something that can be straightened out. 

It's possible that your employer botched up something when filing your W-2.  It could be that your employer filed an amended W-2 for you and so both the amended and the original are being used by the IRS.  Since this notice came out so quickly (this is for tax year 2016 or 2015, yes?) this isn't a real audit, but something their computer spat out because tax return income was less than (what appears to them as) employer-reported income.  Once you get a human involved, it shouldn't be too terrible to clear this up.

Kl285528

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 06:55:32 AM »
Have dealt with tax office mistakes three or four times. Have always gotten them resolved with a relatively minimum of hassle. I'm posting this mostly to send some encouragement your way. Before I engage with people at the agency, I remind myself that they are people, and treat them as nicely as possible. I also pull all of my info together, triple check it to make sure I understand it and that I'm correct, then humbly ask someone for "help" in what " appears to be a mistake." I am not syrupy sweet with my approach, but I am very nice and make sure that the person I'm talking to knows that I am not blaming them for the problem, and that I really appreciate all of the help they are giving me. I also remind myself that mistakes happen, and that I am not perfect. This gets me in the correct mindset to calmly deal with the situation. Based on what you have laid out, I'll bet you'll get this resolved fairly easily.

acanthurus

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 04:39:26 PM »
The IRS is actually easy to deal with, way better than the DMV experience. Something didn't match up right in the computer system and your return got flagged, talking with a human there should get it worked out no problem.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 11:46:04 PM »
I happen to be going through the IRS CPxxxx notifice process.

I got a CP504 in June (via certified letter) re: my '14 return.
It was so far off from my '14 return #s that I thought it was a scam.  I confirmed the 800# on the letter was legit before I called it.
I strongly recommend a headset when calling.  And, has been said, have the notification letter and all your #s available.  And I agree with being nice and grateful on the phone.
On my first call, the lady confirmed who I am, put me on hold a bit and then said I shouldn't have gotten a CP504 notice.  She put me on hold a while so she could (try to) confirm why I got it and/or what I should have gotten.   She couldn't figure it out and said she/they would send me another letter when they figured it out.   

I got a CP2000 in July (not certified).
I had sold some stock that year for a loss.  They showed the sale (as from the 1099B), but somehow had simply tossed / ignored the base price and therefor the loss.  They had re-calculated my return as if I had somehow gotten the stock for free and made the whole sale amount as profit/gain.  Quite different from my return I actually 'filed' (mailed in).
I went thru my '14 return with a fine tooth comb and found a typo (swap of two adjacent digits w/in a number) that resulted in me over paying.
I called again, and had them (another lady) give me clear instructions on how to address both the base price / loss of the stock sale AND the amendment of my return for the typo.
It was actually more straight forward than I had feared.   The hardest part was finding the 'fill-in' forms (instead of download to print forms) to download.  Of course, I went over every line and digit 3 times before sending them.
The IRS gave me more than enough time to compile and send my 'reply'.  You do have to send back one page of the notice with the reply.
I'm kind of eager to see how much interest the IRS pays me on my over payment.

Oddly; I got a CP90 notice (by certified mail) in Sept.
It was basically another CP2000  that I got in July, but the amount I owed had gone up because of accumulating interest charges.
I called again.   They confirmed that they had gotten my 'reply' to the CP2000 from July.  They said it can take up to 15 weeks to hear back.   I got a canned answer when I asked why I got another notice after they had gotten my reply to the previous notice.   She said she put the CP90 on hold.

Oh, have pen and paper (or computer) when you call.   Each IRS person will give you their PIN (Personal ID Number?).   Write it down, and all the key points they say, in case there is any question or problem later.