Author Topic: Investing help--> Vanguard / IRA  (Read 1270 times)

wellnessmobile

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Investing help--> Vanguard / IRA
« on: March 13, 2019, 04:16:32 PM »
Mustachians,

Lend me your vision (and fingers); I need some advice.
I need to spring clean the finances and need to see it from different angles:

Vehicles:
TSP (military) - recently enrolled and throwing in the max allowed (88%); caveat I am a reservist so amount of money contributed is a slow trickle.
Vanguard - I think I goofed with asset choices
$27,000 -> VFFVX
$10,000-> VSMGX
$15,000-> VTSAX
Here is where I think I screwed up: VFFVX & VSMGX are have the SAME underlying funds but just a different distribution
VFFVX
allocation
1. 54% total stock market index fund
2. 35.9% total international stock index
3. 10% total international bond II index
4. 2.9% total international stock index

VSMGX
1. 36% total stock market index fund
2. 27% total bond market II index
3. 24% total international stock index
4. 11% total international bond index

Thoughts? Should I transfer funds to just one given this scenario? The percentages vary but it doesn't seem like the right move to keep both. Also am I reducing my growth by distributing to 3 vanguard funds with this amount of money?

Second order of business:
20k to invest now. Wondering if I should invest all of it into just ONE of the above? Also, should I get a vanguard IRA?

Currently, zero debt, sold my car, and sold my house. I will be part time in the reserves and soon to begin working as an occupational therapist (traveling most likely). I have 20k in cash not including the 20k above.
Prior to mustachian ways I invested in GoPro and did not pull out when I should. 20K invested with current loss of around ~10k. I'm just hanging on for a miracle there.

That was a ramble. Goodness. I am 29 y/o and hope to be out of the rat race in 5-7 years. I read the early retirement extreme book and it felt like all my thoughts and weird ways of life were now recognized. haha

Any help would be great!

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 04:37:29 PM by wellnessmobile »

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Investing help--> Vanguard / IRA
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 09:49:55 PM »
Should I transfer funds to just one given this scenario? The percentages vary but it doesn't seem like the right move to keep both.

20k to invest now. Wondering if I should invest all of it into just ONE of the above?
If those are two different target date funds, then you are correct that you don't need both.  Have you decided what asset allocation you want?

Also am I reducing my growth by distributing to 3 vanguard funds with this amount of money?
No.  The total growth of three smaller amounts is the same as the growth of one large amount, assuming all are invested the same way.

Also, should I get a vanguard IRA?
Where are you relative to the generic Investment Order?

wellnessmobile

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Investing help--> Vanguard / IRA
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 05:01:10 PM »
Thanks MDM,

Should I transfer funds to just one given this scenario? The percentages vary but it doesn't seem like the right move to keep both.

20k to invest now. Wondering if I should invest all of it into just ONE of the above?
If those are two different target date funds, then you are correct that you don't need both.  Have you decided what asset allocation you want?
One is a target retirement fund and the other is a lifestrategy fund. I think I'll just transfer to the target retirement fund. Currently, around 87% stock and 13% bond. Remaining in that ballpark for now.

Also am I reducing my growth by distributing to 3 vanguard funds with this amount of money?
No.  The total growth of three smaller amounts is the same as the growth of one large amount, assuming all are invested the same way.
Thanks

Also, should I get a vanguard IRA?
Where are you relative to the generic Investment Order?
0. done 1. done (TSP) 2. no debt 3. ineligible 4. I went ahead did it (IRA roth vanguard) 5. maxed #4 6. n/a 7. none 8. vanguard

I am currently in a transition after grad school and I am thinking about travel therapy(~8, 10~, 12~ week assignments) due to lifestyle and increased pay. In that same regard, I was thinking about purchasing a quadplex (VA loan), rent out the other three units, and while I am on the road I will airbnb my unit as well. Any take on that?