Author Topic: Internet Service  (Read 7955 times)

payitoff

Internet Service
« on: February 04, 2014, 03:17:12 PM »
Quick question:

Who's you internet service provider?
how much?
are you happy with the speed?

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
Re: Internet Service
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 03:44:55 PM »
Mediacom, $70.25/month (up almost double what it started 5 years ago).  I'm fine with the speed, but they recently put a limit on our data usage, and we come close to reaching that each month.  (I blame my fiance who streams movies AND podcasts every waking and sleeping hour of the day when he's home.  Oh, yeah.  This, while browsing the web at the same time.)

The street I live on doesn't have any other options for either cable or DSL service providers, and we don't want dial-up.

stevesteve

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 03:53:36 PM »
Comcast cable at $42 now.  It has been $30 or $35 mostly and $25 briefly.  I think it has been 5, 15, and 1mbps over this time.  I deal with the speed besides the 1mbps which was painful but they wouldn't put me on their "deal" so I just said give me your slowest service.  It is incredibly annoying having to bargain with someone every 6 months to a year.  I really just wish there was a set of prices that allowed for comparison shopping.  They once told me when they were trying to charge me $65 that even that high rate was another teaser price.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 03:54:05 PM »
Comcast.  $70/mo for 16/3 service with no bandwidth cap.  Comcast sucks, but the service is fast.  No competition here.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 04:01:10 PM »
Comcast.  I pay about $48/mo for a ridiculously fast 15 Mbps.  After negotiation of course.  I think it's like close to $80 without.

okashira

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 05:02:03 PM »
I am paying $32/mo (after tax) for Comcast 30/6 (great speed) currently.
I think promotion ends in 3 months, where I will probably switch back to uverse or negotiate with Comcast.
if you can get DSL and cable at your house, you have to play them against each other after your "promotion" period.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 06:22:54 PM »
Toronto, Ontario

Teksavvy.com (Bell reseller) DSL

15/1 (download/upload), 300GB /mth limit... although 2am-8am is free

$33/mth and speeds are fine.

Bell and Rogers are main providers here but cost a fortune to be with them.

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 07:09:35 PM »
hm google fiber here at "part time home" :S free, I'm happy...

att uverse for internet+tv. its okay but bit pricy, close to $100/month but so were the other tv+internet bundles. Even google's tv bundle is about $100/month :( waiting for fiber to make it to my area. I don't watch cable tv much, but enough that I don't want to cut it off yet for streaming tv

edit: not that I'm footing 2 homes/bills, I call friend's house my part time house because I'm there as much :D. I just told him to switch to fiber.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 07:15:11 PM by eyem »

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 10:01:47 PM »
I have a 25/5 direct fiber connection for $60/month. Great stuff and I really get the speeds I'm promised.

Nothlit

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 08:22:16 AM »
Comcast, $67/month for 25/5 service. No complaints about the speed or service quality, but I wish I could get it cheaper. For the first two years I had a promo that averaged out to about $48/month, but that expired, and every time I call and try to negotiate it back down, they stonewall me.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 08:26:40 AM by Nothlit »

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 08:35:16 AM »
I have Cincinnati Bell DSL at 10mbps which costs $34.98/month. I am by no means a power user, so this speed is more than enough.

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 12:09:12 PM »
Centrylink 29.99 20Mbps. I hate them as I have to call back once a year and hagle over price.

Hopefully in a year or so my city will get their own fiber going. At that point I think I will probably upgrade. It will be 49.99 for a 1gig up and down

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 12:29:16 PM »

Who: Verizon Wireless dongle hanging off a router that understands such things
How much: about $60/mo after taxes and such
happy: Not at all.  Speed is 800k on a really good day and sucks rocks on a bad day.  I live in a rural area and (for the short term) this is my only choice except for satellite.   I only don't move/don't upgrade because I know a cheaper/faster solution is in the pipeline.  I just have to hold out a little longer.

ritchie70

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 12:36:50 PM »
Comcast at $19.99 for the moment but it's due to go up to $35 any day now, then it's going to go up to $55 or so after a while.

This was some sort of promo deal.

Edit to clarify... all we have from Comcast is internet. That isn't the "part of a bundle" price.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 09:29:10 AM by ritchie70 »

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 03:47:45 PM »
Centrylink 29.99 20Mbps. I hate them as I have to call back once a year and hagle over price.

How do you get it for that price?  I have their DSL.  20Mbps isn't available where I live, just 7 or 12 or something like that.  It's plenty fast, but I'm paying about 50 bucks a month for it, bundled with my land line for a total of nearly 80 bucks a month. 

more4less

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 04:43:26 PM »
AT&T 3 Mbps. Regular price is $41/mo, but I have 50% off promotion, so I pay $20.50/mo. I have been on this promotion for the last 3 years. You just need to call them every six months and tell them that you don't want to pay full price. Actually I could go even lower to $14.95/mo, but it would require signing a contract.

3 Mbps is enough for Skype video calls, VoIP phone, internet radio and online gaming. Video streaming isn't that great though. If you download movies during night time, you can watch 'em later (we'll leave ethical and legal aspects of this to another time).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 04:45:59 PM by more4less »

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 05:08:47 PM »
In Calgary (Alberta), I am with Shaw, basic internet service is $35/mo, the cheapest I could find. I have no idea of the speed and other technicalities, as I do not watch video, play music or games, or whatever else requires bandwidth and speed. We also do not watch TV so we do not have cable as well. We bundle our internet with basic telephone service for an extra $30/mo which is pretty much a useless expense except a landline is needed to buzz people in our condo building.

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 01:34:13 PM »

How do you get it for that price?  I have their DSL.  20Mbps isn't available where I live, just 7 or 12 or something like that.  It's plenty fast, but I'm paying about 50 bucks a month for it, bundled with my land line for a total of nearly 80 bucks a month.

I call once a year and tell them I am going to cancel.  They then switch me to the loyalty department. I tell them comast will do xx i want to cancel and generally they offer me something better even if it doesn't beat Comcast (who i will not do biz with). I dont bundle thats internet.

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 11:27:04 PM »
Thanks!  I wonder if they know I don't have any other options where I live, unless satellite internet still exists.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 12:51:14 AM »
AT&T DSL. 6 mbps. $29.99. Could get Time Warner 15 mbps for $35 but Dad pays the bill so I can't complain too much.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 06:02:26 AM »
Road Runner through Time Warner. 42$ a month. No speed issues for sure but I hate TWC.  Can cut to 35$ with own modem which I currently am working on.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2014, 06:47:54 AM »
Who: DSL through a regional company, our only phone option. I've forgotten the speed, but I negotiated it down to get the price down -- took a couple of calls to get anyone to admit something less than 30 Mbps was available. I think we're at 3 or 5, probably 5 since we have no trouble streaming Netflix.

How much: Costs $44 a month before all the fees and taxes bring it to $50, but there's no competition unless I go satellite ( too little wireless signal here for that to be an option, plus the house is underground, and cable won't run a line this far off a road). That price includes a home number that will accept incoming calls, but nothing going out except 911. The price is guaranteed for life; we committed to a two-year contract to get it.

Happy: yes, no problems since the initial setup, and the company even ran a public-road rated line up the driveway to within 100 feet or so of the house, and did it without disturbing our buried power line. Speed is fine for us, probably because of that big line. Even if there had been problems, I'd be grateful we have an option for Internet. That's by no means guaranteed out here unless you go with dial up.