Author Topic: Insurance claim: Water Damage to walls, ceilings and flooring in Ottawa, Ontario  (Read 644 times)

veganmom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hi everyone:

Thank you so much for reading my post. 

I purchased a home June 27, 2019 and yesterday I filed a home insurance claim due to ice buildup causing water to come through walls, ceilings and floors.  My insurance deductible is $1,900.00.  I live in Ottawa, Ontario.

The previous owners had installed cable on the roof to melt the ice.  The insurance inspector said that they must home known this was a problem because people don’t install heating cables outside otherwise. 

The cost for repairs will be thousands more than my deductible. 

I already filed a small claim against the sellers about another issue. 

I would love any tips you may have. 

Thank you so much for your help.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
I .not a lawyer, bit this seems to me like a thing where isn't every house in Canada at risk for ice dams, and you should have known that and been raking your roof? Plus you discovered during the inspection that they had heat taping which would probably only be there if they had trouble with ice dams. I have a hard time believing you would get anything from the seller.

veganmom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Thank you so much. I should have added it is a flat roof and that I had the inspection when it was very dangerously icy so inspector couldn’t safely go on roof.  I don’t think all home are at risk for ice dams. 

norajean

• Pencil Stache
My advice is to use the heating cable they installed to prevent ice dams.

veganmom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Yes. I know now I have to use it two days before warmer weather. I know it was just during warmer weather. I meant in regards to money since this is more of the expertise of this forum. 

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
I think that the advice being offered is that the sellers didn’t hide anything and you won’t be able to claim damages from them.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
You went through a previous winter in this house. You should be aware of the possibility of ice dams in general. You are responsible for monitoring for potential issues. Yes, the prior owners knew this was a problem. But, you could see the heating cable just fine and you should have connected the dots. Even if there weren't heating cables, you should have looked at that roof and noticed the snow and ice and said oh crap. You didn't. You failed.

I'm sorry you have water damage. Good luck getting it fixed. Don't blame the prior owners because you screwed up.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!