Author Topic: Ideas on how to get contents of storage unit from there to here?  (Read 2387 times)

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
I'm hoping you guys have some ideas that I haven't had.
I have a small storage unit (5' x 4' x 4') in another city. It contains the remains of my prior life after a flood. Mostly things like photos, keepsakes, important files, a few larger items like snowboard, digital piano, artwork, etc.  I finally have somewhere semi-permanent that I can keep these items with me again and would really like to have some of them for the winter. The storage unit is a 4 day drive away from me.
What would be the best way to get reunited with this stuff? Ideas?

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Ideas on how to get contents of storage unit from there to here?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 09:57:48 AM »
Have one of those storage pod companies pack it up in a pod and ship it to you. The pod can sit in your driveway (if you have one) until you get it unpacked.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 09:55:39 AM »
Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be a viable option. No driveways on either end. Looked into those companies and they don't do the packing and/or don't do such a small volume.
So far, the best I've figured out is to fly one-way, rent an SUV & drive back.
Anyone with other ideas?

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 10:31:32 AM »
Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be a viable option. No driveways on either end. Looked into those companies and they don't do the packing and/or don't do such a small volume.
So far, the best I've figured out is to fly one-way, rent an SUV & drive back.
Anyone with other ideas?
Maybe there's a freelancing service like taskrabbit where you could solicit bids for someone to box it up and USPS it to you?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 10:41:57 AM »
Fly out there. Sort through the storage unit and get rid of what you don't need. Box everything you're keeping up. Take what you can on the plane home and ship everything else.

Hint: at this point, most of that stuff is a want, not a need. Keep that in mind.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 11:03:38 AM »
The size seems like it might be the sweet spot for Amtrak shipping? Larger than a reasonable USPS/UPS/FedEx package, too small for PODS, U-Box, etc.? Especially if, as previously suggested, you sort through, and maybe digitize some of the papers? (I get that physical photos may have sentimental meaning in their physical form and some documents would not be valid...but other kinds of papers might be just fine.)

bugbaby

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 01:17:10 PM »
Can you fly there and load the airport friendly stuff into 2 suitcases to fly back with;  and the rest put in a heavy duty packing box or plastic tot with padding, and ship to your new address.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

NathanP

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 01:28:25 PM »
When you consider the cost in money and time to fly out there, it likely makes no sense to keep any non-sentimental items.

If you have a friend or acquaintance in the area consider paying them to mail you the must-keep items and dispose of the rest.

researcher1

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 02:43:08 PM »
I have a small storage unit (5' x 4' x 4') in another city.
The storage unit is a 4 day drive away from me.
What would be the best way to get reunited with this stuff? Ideas?

How many miles away is the storage unit?
Unless it is in Seattle and you live in Key West, I find hard to believe it is a 4 day drive.

Either way, you are going to have to go out there yourself. 
I don't think any third-party company is going to access the storage unit without you present.
You might try Uship.com.

I would plan a short vacation around it, drive there & bring the most important stuff back with you.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 03:38:36 PM »
Thanks for the ideas. I'm appreciating the suggestions. I'll look into Amtrak shipping - never heard of it.
Yes, it really is a 4 day drive for me. I'm disabled & it's 1500 miles. Flying is also very difficult for me because of my condition so it's tough to balance the strain on me from flying with the distance to cover by driving.
As for the contents of the unit, this is already pared down only to the few belongings that are worth keeping which is why it's a small storage locker amount. I won't be throwing away any of it. I'm a pretty extreme minimalist & this is pretty much all that I own in the world still except for some clothes, laptop, bike.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 08:58:17 AM »
Here's one from 'outside the box', made possible by your not needing to do this on a specific date.
Register (on multiple sites) to be a 'car courier', which means you will drive someone's car, and wait for a car going from/to near your living and storage cities.    You may need to take a bus or Uber to get to/from the car start and end points.
Fly the opposite direction (unless you can get another courier car).
Rent a (cheap) car while you're at the storage city.  You will need to get shipping supplies and take your stuff to the shippers.
Papers can be sent very cheap via USPS at 'book rate'  (does not need to be just books).
You will need to take the big things to be boxed (crated) for AmTrack.   USP stores, moving and shipping Co's do this.
Take an empty suitcase (or two) - I'd put the most valuable items in it/them.
Use AirBnB instead of motels (where possible).  Use momandpopmotels.com

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 06:38:25 AM »
I would plan a mini vacation to your destination. You could plan to have some fun while spending some time packing up stuff. You could mail some boxes to a mailbox store or UPS store. Not sure exactly how you would set it up but maybe you call them and set it up that you need a temporary mailing address. Then mail a big box of assorted shipping boxes to the address. I am sure you can buy boxes from the UPS store too. Take some of the unwanted stuff you sort thru to the Goodwill. Box up the stuff and take to either USPS or UPS to have them ship it to your home. Do this on your last day so the stuff will arrive after you are home. You can get assorted size boxes on USPS.com for free. Unless like someone else mentioned that you have a friend who would do this for you I think your only option would be to fly out there and do it yourself. The UPS store will package up stuff for you. I had them do this one time for me but they were very expensive. Never again for me!