Author Topic: HVAC replacement  (Read 1641 times)

tyler2016

• Stubble
    • Tyler's Guides
HVAC replacement
« on: May 16, 2018, 04:30:56 AM »
My evap coil in a 15 year old R22 central air system with a gas furnace has a leak so bad that I lost all refrigerant within a few days. It is a 3 ton system, in attic coil. I'm probably going to replace the whole system due to the R22 phase out in a few years. I've looked on various sites about what the ballpark cost should be, and the first bid was about 70% more than what I found. I was wondering how accurate sites like home advisor are? What is reasonable for an area with an average cost of living?

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
Re: HVAC replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 06:33:13 AM »
This is going to be very location specific. Definitely get more quotes or talk to frugal neighbors for recommended contractors. I just had this done to remove an old system and the new 3 ton HVAC system - AC, gas furnace plus all new insulated ductwork, permit, labor warranty - was $9,480 in average cost of living area. By paying cash I got a 3% discount. Also, check your gas/electric company for possible rebates. I'm getting an additional $500 rebate for installing a new efficient gas furnace.