Author Topic: How to quote  (Read 4375 times)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
How to quote
« on: April 11, 2014, 04:23:24 AM »
When I quote someone else I end up with

xxxxx

but others end up with the name of the person they have quoted from and the date and time - how do you do that???

twbird18

• Stubble
Re: How to quote
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 04:49:29 AM »
hit quote at the top right corner of the box you want to quote or  if you are trying to multi-quote, once you start a reply post - select insert quote in the top right corner from the post you want to quote.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 06:18:04 AM »
To elaborate on twbird:

You're hitting the "quote" button (little talk bubble) inside the reply box and cutting and pasting in the quote you want.

We're hitting the button that says "quote" right above their post, which launches into a reply with the quote embedded, and then deleting the stuff we DON'T want to quote.

Also you can, while in the reply box, scroll down and click "Insert Quote" and it will add in their full post and you can remove what you don't want to quote.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 09:48:36 AM »
We're hitting the button that says "quote" right above their post, which launches into a reply with the quote embedded, and then deleting the stuff we DON'T want to quote.
Thanks very much - got it!!!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 10:12:39 AM »
Thanks very much - got it!!!

No problem.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

alm0stk00l

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 10:13:25 AM »
For more information: there is a type of markup that is used in this forum and the quote button is a shortcut way to quote a specific comment, but you can actually add a quote by anyone you want. The quote markup is as follows:

Code: [Select]
[quote author=AuthorName link=topic=SomeNumber date=Date_Converted_To_Seconds_Since_12311969:17:00:00]
[/quote]

So you can post a quote as follows:

I am sending this message back through time in the hopes that you can prevent our world from devolving into the machine-ruled wasteland that it has become. You must work to remove your dependency from machines or you will doom us all. Don't make me come back there and handle it myself!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 01:09:26 PM »

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 01:54:27 PM »
For more information: there is a type of markup that is used in this forum...

It's called BBCode, and will do a lot of other interesting things, from simple stuff like underlining & strikeout to making tables and so on.  Lots of references available if you search.

PS: And a big thank you to everyone who does take the trouble to delete irrelevant parts of quotes.  I hate having to scan through a several page long quote, like as not containing several long quotes which themselves contain quotes...  Only to find that the poster has simply added a "+1" at the bottom.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 01:57:26 PM by Jamesqf »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!