Author Topic: how to go grey gracefully  (Read 9394 times)

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
Re: how to go grey gracefully
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2018, 08:34:30 PM »
I don't have anything else to add right now except I love your signature @couponvan  :)  @Bracken_Joy always seems to have interesting things to say.

Awww thank you for tagging me =) That was a happy thing to wake up to.

I'm still tickled when I notice Coup's signature!

@Bracken_Joy - it's all still true. You'd think I'd have learned more in a year.
Why the hell are we going shopping? Buy sh*t, return other sh*t, go through sh*t and donate sh*t. Complain about having too much sh*t. Repeat. (Bracken Joy 2/17)

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2018, 11:38:53 PM »
Why are we making ourselves invisible, as experienced, knowledgeable women of a certain age?  Why are we pretending to be younger? 

+1

Oh man, I feel so embarrassed, because I think I am the only one, but I *PLUCK* every single grey hair out!

I used to do that. It got to be just too much, and I stopped. It wasn't that bad. It's true that occasionally there would be this weird short gray hair, and if it looked too weird I would still pluck it out. Most of the hairs grow in unobtrusively, so eventually a prominent short hair doesn't look that odd and you can let it grow.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2018, 10:47:26 AM »

Oh man, I feel so embarrassed, because I think I am the only one, but I *PLUCK* every single grey hair out!

I used to do that. It got to be just too much, and I stopped. It wasn't that bad. It's true that occasionally there would be this weird short gray hair, and if it looked too weird I would still pluck it out. Most of the hairs grow in unobtrusively, so eventually a prominent short hair doesn't look that odd and you can let it grow.

I currently have a very prominent grey hair on the middle of my forehead. It is thick, stiff and curly. DH has already commented on me that I had gotten grey hair, pointing on that one.
I figure that pulling it out won't help in the long run. I think it will grow back equally grey. So I have decided to let it grow longer. I will look silly for half a year until it fits in better with the rest.

In the lunch break at work I noticed that one of my mail colleagues whi has pretty long curly hair has some grey parts in the front and at the sides. It looked very elegant. Why wouldn't it do the same for women?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 07:11:57 AM by Linda_Norway »

sui generis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2018, 11:19:21 AM »
Why wouldn't it do the same for women?

Why, indeed.  Our culture around women's youth and beauty is oppressive.

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2018, 11:40:45 AM »
I have a short haircut, so I just let the color grow out. It took the better part of a year. Didn't wear any hats or scarves or anything.

Then suddenly one day, I decided it made me look too old, so I'm a redhead again.

Oh well...It was an interesting experiment.

bluebelle

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2018, 11:38:16 AM »
more incentive to get to the all over grey/white....two weeks after the last colour and the white roots are quite visable (to me at least)

I'm so over colouring my hair.......I like the few streaks of grey the hair stylist put in last time.....next time, I want alot more....although the bleaching process to get the colour out of the colour treated hair was hard on my hair.
oh my freaking god....is bleaching hard on your hair....7 weeks later, I had alot more grey streaks put in....but the bleaching process to stip out all the colour took a long time and my hair is super brittle now.  (how do people who regularily bleach their hair blond have any hair left on their head?)....
anyway, I now have more grey (temporary tint over the yellowish bleached hair) than red....and have decided that I'm just going to let it grow out....skunk strip and all....this is way to hard on my hair, way too time consuming (5+ hours at the hair salon)......

for anyone contemplating starting to colour their hair - DON'T.

StarBright

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2018, 11:58:26 AM »
more incentive to get to the all over grey/white....two weeks after the last colour and the white roots are quite visable (to me at least)

I'm so over colouring my hair.......I like the few streaks of grey the hair stylist put in last time.....next time, I want alot more....although the bleaching process to get the colour out of the colour treated hair was hard on my hair.
oh my freaking god....is bleaching hard on your hair....7 weeks later, I had alot more grey streaks put in....but the bleaching process to stip out all the colour took a long time and my hair is super brittle now.  (how do people who regularily bleach their hair blond have any hair left on their head?)....
anyway, I now have more grey (temporary tint over the yellowish bleached hair) than red....and have decided that I'm just going to let it grow out....skunk strip and all....this is way to hard on my hair, way too time consuming (5+ hours at the hair salon)......

Ha- I needed to read the bolded today.

Even though I love my silver streaks I don't like the "pepper" part of my hair and back when I colored I went for an ashy light brown/dark blonde.

Health issues (and I suspect early greying) have made my thin hair just a bit thinner. And the dark hair (70%) against my snow white scalp make the thinner spots noticeable in a way they never were when my hair was dyed a lighter color.

I have been thinking about coloring again until I have more gray (I'm about 30%).

But I worked so hard to grow it out! I probably shouldn't color it again :)

bobfnbw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2018, 12:06:37 PM »
I recently did a image search on woman with grey hair. Almost 60 and still with little grey in my hair, but see some coming. My wife colors her hair. But I find women with grey hair or salt and pepper to white quite attractive now. Even when I was much younger, I had a instructor in school that was probably in her mid 40's that had a full head of grey hair and I found her beautiful and exotic.
While I know not all grey is the same, I find women that carry grey hair with honor and pride appealing.
Just one mans opinion....
Bob

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2018, 12:07:36 PM »

I've been toying with the semi-permanent 6 week color, with a brunette "gloss", and how grey is too grey.  The grey is coming in at my temples which looks distinguished in men, but I am not a fan of the look on me.  I'm maybe 10% grey overall, but that's 5% everywhere else and 40% above my ears.  My coworkers still think I'm younger than I am, maybe it will eventually give me some gravitas and garner more respect.

Thanks for the reminder BlueBelle. 

bluebelle

• Stubble
« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2018, 12:30:07 PM »

Ha- I needed to read the bolded today.

Even though I love my silver streaks I don't like the "pepper" part of my hair and back when I colored I went for an ashy light brown/dark blonde.

Health issues (and I suspect early greying) have made my thin hair just a bit thinner. And the dark hair (70%) against my snow white scalp make the thinner spots noticeable in a way they never were when my hair was dyed a lighter color.

I have been thinking about coloring again until I have more gray (I'm about 30%).

But I worked so hard to grow it out! I probably shouldn't color it again :)
sorry to hear about your thinning hair, FWIW, I have super thick hair (or at least I did before I had the hairdresser bleach alot of streaks in), the snowy white scalp of grow out was what made me decide to stop colouring in the first place....snow white hair and a very white/pink scalp made it look like I was balding.

30+ years of permanent hair colour, and my hair was strong and healthy.  After the weekend bleach job, the bleached hair is brittle and wispy....thank goodness my hair grows quickly (and I have enough to lose some).....

But I'm letting the rest grow out, to hell with the growth delineator....I may put in some rinses/semi-perm colour while it grows out, but no more bleach.

okits

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2018, 08:40:00 PM »

Thank you for starting this thread, bluebelle, it has been very informative for me.  I'm 38 with black hair and dreading the day I start to grey, with all the implications that I'm old (and will look it).  I'm a bit more at peace with the idea now that I see there are lower-maintenance alternatives like that Black Malva conditioner.  I'm going to try hard to avoid dyeing and put that money and energy into maintaining youthful health and attitude.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2018, 04:21:39 AM »

Thank you for starting this thread, bluebelle, it has been very informative for me.  I'm 38 with black hair and dreading the day I start to grey, with all the implications that I'm old (and will look it).  I'm a bit more at peace with the idea now that I see there are lower-maintenance alternatives like that Black Malva conditioner.  I'm going to try hard to avoid dyeing and put that money and energy into maintaining youthful health and attitude.

I am also glad for this thread. I am blond and not so long ago I had started to look into colouring, as I am getting my first grey hairs. Thanks to this thread I have decided to just let them be there. As said, colouring is an endless process and not very cheap either.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2018, 08:32:35 PM »
A friend I hadn't seen in a while commented on my dispersed naturally highlighted grays and said she loved my hair color. She then mentioned how she had been thinking of stopping the coloring of her hair, as she was tired of all of the chemicals. Perhaps I have a convert...

I also went to my high school reunion and found an old classmate sporting a very healthy shoulder length gray hairdo. She was originally blond. I kept telling her how awesome she looked and she was an inspiration.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2018, 04:55:01 AM »
A friend I hadn't seen in a while commented on my dispersed naturally highlighted grays and said she loved my hair color. She then mentioned how she had been thinking of stopping the coloring of her hair, as she was tired of all of the chemicals. Perhaps I have a convert...

I also went to my high school reunion and found an old classmate sporting a very healthy shoulder length gray hairdo. She was originally blond. I kept telling her how awesome she looked and she was an inspiration.

Good work to both ^^^^.

If only more women would dare to wear their hair grey in a nice way. I have quite a few female colleagues who are older than I am and who should be grey. I know that one started to grey in her early 30-ies. None of them is wearing her hair grey. While most of my male colleagues are greying naturally.