Author Topic: How to deal with an overly critical, competitive, nosey, jealous neighbor?  (Read 7837 times)

MoveFoward77

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hi, can anyone please offer sound advice on dealing with the following? One of our neighbors has been a thorn in everyone's side since day one of moving into our neighborhood roughly 5+ years ago. She has to know everything everyone is doing. She is very jealous of all women of the neighborhood including my own wife. I've never in my adult male life have had to deal with someone like this. She makes rude comments about women who don't work 50+ hours a week, she always wants to know what on average people are making an hour or their salary information, if someone gets a new car, she has to let you know she got a better new fuel efficient one, if we put fertilizer down she is out there putting the most expensive lime down, or will let me know she did research as to what products work best for the ozone layers. It is beyond frustrating and ridiculous. She is always poking around outside looking at what people do, where they shop, she will make comments that a certain grocery store is better than where we shop. She makes fun of stay-at-home moms and anyone that actually takes care of their kids instead of latch key issues. She treats her own husband like a doormat and with a lot of disdain. Everyone is either stupid, useless, worthless, or a waste of space in her eyes. She is on our community board and has to let everyone know every time she exercises, is going to some big function, obtaining another degree, or what she is buying for her home for the week. She has even made rude comments to older women who are retired and asked them what do they do all day besides read? I'm talking she puts the B in the female dog word. Any suggestions on dealing with her? She never says hi and always makes rude, nasty looks. How to handle without losing it would be greatly appreciated? Thanks, sorry for venting about this. It just sucks, the neighborhood is great with the exception of her BS!

Tester

• Bristles
Re: How to deal with an overly critical, competitive, nosey, jealous neighbor?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 05:39:57 PM »
The next time she says that what she does is better than what you do you literally say "I did not ask for your opinion so please keep it for yourself".
I was going to write what I would say but then I remembered you can get sued for that so I had to tune it down.

The_Dude

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 05:49:48 PM »
While not the exact same your post reminded me of this "annoying neighbor."

Watch clip A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYGCZ4ED98k
And then clip B: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uif8LiXwPBs
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 05:57:37 PM by The_Dude »

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 06:02:38 PM »
Why do you care what she does, what she buys, puts on her lawn or anything?

If you don't like her, don't talk to her or read anything she writes online. Why invite the thoughts/feelings into your brain if you don't have to?

If you're out doing yard stuff and for some reason she comes over to you to talk, tell her you're not a chat type person and walk away from her and go back to doing yard stuff. If she is the type to yammer at you anyway, wear earbuds or a bluetooth and say you're on the phone or ignore her and listen to your music.

Do all of this with a pleasant face and eventually she should stop messing with you.

Alternatively, if you think you won't be in an danger of her doing damage to your house/yard out of spite you could tell her "Agnes, I don't really like talking to you because you are a pretty unpleasant person. Please get out of my yard." and then smile and stare at her until she leaves, or ignore her and go back to whatever you were doing.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 06:46:09 PM »
You could always start doing all yard work with loud power equipment and ear protection on, so she can't get a conversation going with you.  All walks out to the car, going for a run, putting out the trash etc can be done with an iPod/iPhone and headphones.  Problem solved.  I often work in public places and it drives me crazy when i'm trying to get something done and people keep trying to come up to me and ask me stupid questions, or get in their comment-of-the-day.  I find if i use REALLY obvious ear protection, power equipment, dark sunglasses and never make eye contact people just stop trying to talk to me. 

In all seriousness, I'm guessing you are stressed more because it's stressing your wife out.  I would sit down with her and go over ways to ignore and avoid the neighbor that are more specific to your everyday encounters with her. 

Blatant

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 07:09:50 PM »
For the life of me, I can't understand how adults have these issues.

Stop caring about your neighbor. Period. If you're like me, you can start by being pleasant and impersonal. If that doesn't work, tell her to fuck off. Problem solved.

woopwoop

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 07:43:07 PM »
Yeah, I don't understand how you can be so bothered by someone. Just ignore her or laugh at her. It sounds like you are getting really worked up over something that is not under your control (how she acts). Why not just let it slide off your back? If she's as bad as you say she is, everybody else feels the same way.

That said, if she starts to gossip or insult other people in front of you, feel free to stand up for them and let her know that you don't like badmouthing your neighbors, and that you don't want to hear any of that kind of talk.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 08:22:20 PM »
You thought this was worth 2 threads?  The one in Off Topic wasn't enough? 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 08:24:43 PM by Shinplaster »

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 08:38:50 PM »
Ask her if you can borrow 17,000 dollars.
Ask her if she accepted Jesus as her personal savior.
Try to get her to join your Amway or Arbonne down line and make oodles of money.

Ha! These are actually great ideas. Make her avoid YOU!

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 05:29:52 AM »
[Duplicate thread.  Locked]