Author Topic: How to dare cut your own hair  (Read 17837 times)

DrSweden

• Stubble
How to dare cut your own hair
« on: August 16, 2017, 01:57:34 AM »
I have been thinking about cutting my hair now for some time. I used to go to a inexpensive hairdresser (22$). After my hair was really messed up at one time (a staff who did not speak english or swedish cut it) I started going to a more expensive place. It is a very fancy place you know where the wash your hair, and give you coffee. I go to a student and cut my hair for 28$. Today I asked what the regular price was and it was 100$. I would never pay that much for a haircut.

I wasn't very happy last time with my 28$ haircut. She cut to little so I really need to go again before starting to work again. They did the same to my son so maybe they do this to being to cut the hair more often.

My options are now. Going back to my inexpensive hairdresser and insist that he cut my hair and not anyone else. The other option (which i would prefer). Get a wahl cutter and cut it myself. I have read that there is spacers up to #12 = 37,5 mm.

So my question is really how did you get over the barrier of cutting your own hair?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Re: How to dare cut your own hair
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 02:17:27 AM »
Step 1: realize I'm not that good looking anyway
Step 2: cut hair

It's really not hard to do. I use a 7 on the top, a 5 on the sides and back, and a 4 around the ears/neck. You just need someone to finish around the ears and trim a few things. It takes under 20 minutes total if you know what you're doing.

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 02:23:49 AM »
My wife thinks I am cray for wanting to doing this. (Not a mustaschian and we have separate financials). So I won't get her to help. I have seen some youtube videos and the claim you can do everything yourself. Does anyone do that?

Snow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 05:00:43 AM »
My wife thinks I am cray for wanting to doing this. (Not a mustaschian and we have separate financials). So I won't get her to help. I have seen some youtube videos and the claim you can do everything yourself. Does anyone do that?

Yup.

Depending on my mood, I cut my own hair and SO's hair, or SO cuts my hair. It's fun and we laugh about what to use our hairdresser money for instead.

My mom had a machine she cut the hair of both my father and brothers. She must have saved thousands on that machine by the time kids started leaving the nest.

It depends a lot on how complicated you want it and how much of a perfectionist you are. But yes. Watch youtube videos, get a cutter and just give it a go. What's the worst that can happen? It grows out and you try again.

Come to think of it, it's the same reason I like plants. If you mess up, snow will cover everything and you try again next spring.

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 05:04:37 AM »
Thankyou for the peptalk! I will go and get my last haircut on friday. My hair is rather long now about 10 cm. So I will get a really short haircut. Then I will order a machine with spacers and give it a try when it is time again.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 05:14:01 AM »
It's possible to do everything by yourself with two mirrors and some caution, just easier and faster if you ask someone.

merlin7676

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 07:54:35 AM »
Being a guy and keeping my hair short helps. I just use the clippers with no guard and buzz it all down. Takes 5 minutes. Usually do it about every 3 weeks or so. Clean up is a breeze with the vacuum.

Lulee

• Bristles
  • "We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it."
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 11:47:08 PM »
Two things that helped me cut my own hair the first time though I was scared to death: I cut my hair in several passes until I got it shoulder length where I wanted it which minimized how badly I could make things look and I timed it so I had at least 48 hours before I had to appear in public so I could go for help if I made a mistake (there is a local beautician, a local barber, a nearby beauty school and, heck, even my mother could step in to even it out).  The two things combined gave me courage to try it.  I'm still cutting it myself over a decade later.

yachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 07:08:05 AM »
My wife cut it once, but did a poor job.  I've been doing it myself ever since with a mirror.  It might take 2-3x longer than a professional, but I don't have to drive anywhere or wait for the next person.  If you do it on a Friday night, you have a few days to find and fix any hairs you missed.  Much easier with clippers.  Make sure you buy some clipper oil for them too.

EricL

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 07:21:30 AM »
There are YouTube videos that show how to cut your own hair. That's how I learned to do it

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 07:40:44 AM »
I've been cutting my own hair since the Gulf War (early 1991).  I was supposed to head over there, so I did a home made buzz cut.  Easiest hair cut in the world.  I've kept it ever since. 

It's fabulously un stylish, but easy to maintain and cut.  Plus, I've saved hundreds of dollars on Shampoo and combs.

So far, I've been unable to convince my wife to let me give her the same.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 07:46:05 AM »
This might happen this weekend.  I have been unhappy with the last few "SuperCuts" - DIY worst case I look like a skin head for a month...  Ok maybe I should watch some youtube first...

trix76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 07:55:46 AM »
I've been cutting mine for about 2 years. I'm female with shoulder-length curly hair. I used to pay $60 a pop (plus tip) and even though professional haircuts only took 10 minutes (dry cut), it involved driving downtown, finding parking, waiting for the stylist, etc. Now I cut it when I feel like it, often giving myself a trim every 4 weeks or so. It's the best! And yes, I watched a YouTube video to get started. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 08:00:09 AM »
I've been cutting mine for about 2 years. I'm female with shoulder-length curly hair. I used to pay $60 a pop (plus tip) and even though professional haircuts only took 10 minutes (dry cut), it involved driving downtown, finding parking, waiting for the stylist, etc. Now I cut it when I feel like it, often giving myself a trim every 4 weeks or so. It's the best! And yes, I watched a YouTube video to get started. Good luck!

I also have shoulder length curly hair and I'm scared to do it myself. I have cut my boyfriend's hair, that was really fun and easy with clippers, but I feel like my hair will be easier to mess up. I'll have to check out youtube and see if I really can do it myself, I'd love to stop going to the hairdresser.

fiscalphile

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 08:09:29 AM »
My husband cuts my hair with a nice, sharp pair of scissors we bought for $10 on Amazon. I cut my husband's hair with a buzzer we bought at TJ Maxx also for around $10.

It took some bravery and some trust! To do it the first time:

1) We bought the tools we needed.
2) We watched youtube videos specifically looking for people with our hair types who cut their hair as simply as possible.
3) We took a deep breath and agreed that if the haircuts turned out horribly, we could always go in for an emergency hair saloon visit.

It has been great! I love it everytime. I feel empowered cutting his hair/ having him cut mine.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 08:09:47 AM »
I do mine with scissors and don't even look much while I'm doing it -- stick my fingers through my hair, flat to my head, and cut off everything that sticks through, for the back and the sides: the top I leave a couple inches long. I do it mostly by feel now: I find that I make more mistakes if I try to do it visually. It's not really rocket science, but you do have to be willing to screw up a few times as you learn how to do it.

Now I'd be really impatient with the time it takes to have someone else do it. Sheesh! I have things to do!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 08:14:02 AM »
What I did was set a worst possible scenario . . . which is that I screwed it up really badly and ended up doing a brushcut with my clippers.  Not my favourite haircut, but not the worst.  Once you realize that it can't be worse than that (and that hair grows back quickly), you'll feel a lot better.  If you go online you can find tutorials to cut just about any style of hair . . . (apparently my preferred haircut is called the 'regular haircut') and this will give you a lot of tips and ideas for how to do it properly.

I cut my own hair on my own the first time, and it turned out OK, so I've just kept doing it.

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 09:08:17 AM »
What a great response. It is great to be able to discuss this kind of topics without being thought of as crazy.

I do mine with scissors and don't even look much while I'm doing it -- stick my fingers through my hair, flat to my head, and cut off everything that sticks through, for the back and the sides: the top I leave a couple inches long. I do it mostly by feel now: I find that I make more mistakes if I try to do it visually. It's not really rocket science, but you do have to be willing to screw up a few times as you learn how to do it.

Now I'd be really impatient with the time it takes to have someone else do it. Sheesh! I have things to do!

Do to do your neck and sides as well without clippers?

This might happen this weekend.  I have been unhappy with the last few "SuperCuts" - DIY worst case I look like a skin head for a month...  Ok maybe I should watch some youtube first...

Tell us how it went!

My wife cut it once, but did a poor job.  I've been doing it myself ever since with a mirror.  It might take 2-3x longer than a professional, but I don't have to drive anywhere or wait for the next person.  If you do it on a Friday night, you have a few days to find and fix any hairs you missed.  Much easier with clippers.  Make sure you buy some clipper oil for them too.

I really like to learn new skills and will keep a logbok how I do it so I can try to improve it every time.

trix76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How to dare cut your own hair
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 09:50:20 AM »

I also have shoulder length curly hair and I'm scared to do it myself. I have cut my boyfriend's hair, that was really fun and easy with clippers, but I feel like my hair will be easier to mess up. I'll have to check out youtube and see if I really can do it myself, I'd love to stop going to the hairdresser.
[/quote]

This was one video I really liked: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I_bE6Em9nqk. You can start with baby steps and just trim a little at a time. Definitely buy barber shears!

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 09:52:38 AM by trix76 »

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 10:43:35 AM »
What a great response. It is great to be able to discuss this kind of topics without being thought of as crazy.

-- Do to do your neck and sides as well without clippers?

-- I shave the back of my neck, with my regular razor. The sides I just do with the scissors.

adizb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2017, 11:09:40 AM »
*raises hand*

Ive never in my life been to a barber, from kid to now (28) I always got my hair cut at home. It's super easy especially if you like buzz cut =) I have tried different styles, leaving more on top, trying some fades but it starts to take too long, and i dont care enough to do it. I use a regular cheap-o costco cutter, current one is about 4 years old, cost a whole $40-50, more than paid for itself.

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2017, 07:03:51 AM »
This is my last professional haircut. Hair is about 4,5 cm in the longest part. I think 3,75 cm will be almost the sam and being able to lie down like this. (Removed my picture even if pixeled.)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 11:06:29 PM by DrSweden »

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2017, 01:47:29 PM »
I cut my own with clippers, and have been for about 8 years.  A handheld mirror and a bathroom mirror help.  I do it over the sink and put a plastic shopping bag in the sink to catch the hair.  I'm still on my first pair of clippers that I bought for ~$20.  I just do my whole head with a size 6.  My sides/back with a size 3.  Then trim without anything.

It takes a while to be able to orient the clippers while looking at a mirror or two.  Sometimes I take a little too much off around my ears because of this.  Sometimes I orient it in the correct position, then close my eyes and move my hand relative to my head.  If everything is lined up it works fine.

My hair is thinning on part of my head, and it's not as obvious with shorter hair, so I'd get something this short if I was having someone else do it.  It takes me about as long to do it as when I'd go to someone else, minus any traveling time or waiting time, so I definitely come out ahead in time (in addition to the money savings).

So overall, I'm saving time and money, getting as good of a haircut as I'd get elsewhere, and can do it anytime I want.  I did it this morning actually, before coming into work.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2017, 01:52:01 PM »
This is my last professional haircut. Hair is about 4,5 cm in the longest part. I think 3,75 cm will be almost the sam and being able to lie down like this. I will post a picture of my DIY haircut in 2 months.

Something about your features remind me of minecraft.

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2017, 11:08:56 PM »
This is my last professional haircut. Hair is about 4,5 cm in the longest part. I think 3,75 cm will be almost the sam and being able to lie down like this. I will post a picture of my DIY haircut in 2 months.

Something about your features remind me of minecraft.

Been working hard on that look.

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2017, 11:14:09 PM »
I cut my own with clippers, and have been for about 8 years.  A handheld mirror and a bathroom mirror help.  I do it over the sink and put a plastic shopping bag in the sink to catch the hair.  I'm still on my first pair of clippers that I bought for ~$20.  I just do my whole head with a size 6.  My sides/back with a size 3.  Then trim without anything.

It takes a while to be able to orient the clippers while looking at a mirror or two.  Sometimes I take a little too much off around my ears because of this.  Sometimes I orient it in the correct position, then close my eyes and move my hand relative to my head.  If everything is lined up it works fine.

My hair is thinning on part of my head, and it's not as obvious with shorter hair, so I'd get something this short if I was having someone else do it.  It takes me about as long to do it as when I'd go to someone else, minus any traveling time or waiting time, so I definitely come out ahead in time (in addition to the money savings).

So overall, I'm saving time and money, getting as good of a haircut as I'd get elsewhere, and can do it anytime I want.  I did it this morning actually, before coming into work.

That is great! I am looking forward to try myself. I will do it in the weekend so I have time to adjust around the ears and so on

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2017, 06:13:41 PM »
I tried using the biggest guard on top and it came out a bit sort.  Sides look good and back is ok.  Top will be fine in a week - will use fingers and scissor next time.   All and all only a bit worse result than spending 25$.

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2017, 11:43:57 PM »
I tried using the biggest guard on top and it came out a bit sort.  Sides look good and back is ok.  Top will be fine in a week - will use fingers and scissor next time.   All and all only a bit worse result than spending 25$.

Which guard did you use on top?

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2017, 08:05:45 AM »

1" / 25mm, longest I have.

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2017, 08:29:02 AM »
Well, I went bald at 21, so I bought a whal clipper (which I still have and use weekly, 21 years ago) and shaved it. I haven't been to a stylist since I was a teenager, I'm sure I've saved thousands over 20-some years. Yep, I just figured about $11k.

Lady SA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2017, 07:39:58 AM »
I'm a woman, I cut both my own hair and my DH's hair. I use his normal trimmer/clippers that he uses to trim his beard, so it's smaller than a normal clippers. That's fine, it just takes a bit longer, but now I only have one clipper pulling double duty in my house instead of two. I cut it shorter on the sides and longer on top. It takes about 20 minutes but that's because I'm a perfectionist :) I take off the guard to clean up around his neck and ears (during which I'm glad for the smaller clippers). If you can buzz your hair and get 90% of the way there, if you can convince your wife to do the neck and ear cleanup I think that would be easiest. I like cutting my DH's hair, it's a time where we sit outside (in the summer) and chat. In the spring, I also like seeing all the bird nests in the neighborhood with tufts of his hair sticking out!

Only recently I got up the courage to cut my own hair. I looked up a bunch of youtube videos to get a feel for the technique (I have longer hair that has layers), then I did it on a friday so I could run to great clips and fix it if I needed to. Turned out fantastic, and I think it took even less time than cutting DH's hair :) I'm never getting a professional haircut again!

As for getting over the mental barrier, it was a no brainer for me cutting DH's hair. He has never in his life stepped foot in a salon and gotten a professional haircut. His mom used to shave his head once a year in the spring. I liked his hair shorter, but not THAT short (or that long once Jan/Feb rolled around! ha!), so I volunteered to trim his hair. My mom would always cut my dad and brother's hair, so I gave her a call and she talked me through the first time. Once I realized it wasn't so scary and I wouldn't accidentally gash his head open with the clippers, I got a lot more comfortable, and now I play around with length, style, etc to see what he (and I!) like best.
For the courage to cut my own hair, it was mostly out of frustration with professional haircuts. I used to go to an expensive place and get the whole shebang (shampoo, scalp massage, cut, style, etc) but I was never perfectly happy with how the cuts turned out. I'd also trimmed my own bangs for years, so I had gotten over that particular fear ages ago, but layers were still scary so I always wanted someone else to do them. I hated paying that much for something I didn't love, so I downgraded to super cuts, but same problem. So I decided, if I'm not going to LOVE my hair, I might as well have the hair cut for free :) I was only comfortable after I watched about 20 videos and really understood the technique and how it would turn out, but I'm very happy I did. Now I can trim my hair whenever I feel like it and make as many small tweaks as I want.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 07:54:48 AM by Lady SA »

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2017, 08:07:25 AM »
My good old Oster 606 clippers have been getting the job done for over 30 years...  Made in USA, STRONG motor, good parts support...  I fixed the cord about 15 years ago, replaced it 5 years ago.  Still has original blades, switch, etc.  Has saved me thousands in haircuts, and does great for all grooming needs.  Only negative is it could be a lot more ergonomic.  Even if I saved no $$$, having the freedom to cut when I want is fantastic.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2017, 08:08:30 AM »

They do sell longer guards:
https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Number-Clipper-Guide-Combs/dp/B00QU86SUM/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1503324313&sr=8-5&keywords=clipper+guards
I would think using guards is both quicker and more even.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2017, 09:45:46 AM »

They do sell longer guards:
https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Number-Clipper-Guide-Combs/dp/B00QU86SUM/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1503324313&sr=8-5&keywords=clipper+guards
I would think using guards is both quicker and more even.

Thanks, was going to look for something like that too. 

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2017, 05:12:05 PM »
Try using the longest guard and also roll back the clipper control too it gives you even a bit more. Then also roll the guard up so you are making the angle taller and basically almost dragging the pointy part of the guard across your scalp. This will give you a bit longer on top without the hassle of cutting it with the scissors. Then when you bring the shorter guard up the sides to meet the top roll the clippers back and away so you don't leave a harsh line.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2017, 07:02:31 PM »
I do it by feel, but maybe the fact that I'm a massage therapist makes me better at navigating bodies by feel than most folks? I can't imagine trying to do it by sight. I find the mastoid processes of the skull for my landmarks, and run a nice shallow smile between them with my venerable trak two razor. Bob's your uncle. YMMV :-)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2017, 08:07:30 PM »
What's the best way to get the back of the neck even? This is the one part that seems like it could be hard.

To get the bottom hair line I used a hand mirror to put my index finger where I wanted the line then without the mirror ran the clippers up to my fingers; quick & simple, did ok.  I have in past used a hand held mirror and razor - this way took about 2hr.

@koshtra: without my glasses on my procedure was largely by feel too :-) 

@sisto: will try the taller angle next time; thanks.

yachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2017, 02:28:59 PM »
What's the best way to get the back of the neck even? This is the one part that seems like it could be hard.

I turn my back to the bathroom mirror and hold a handheld mirror in my hand.  I use the trimmer on the back of my electric razor for this part.  I try to stand straight and adjust if needed.

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2017, 02:53:26 PM »

I use a bathroom and hand mirror, and a small battery powered Wahl beard and mustache trimmer.  Without a guard, it will clip very, very closely.  If really wanting to complete the job, I'll then use a cordless shaver, or safety razor.  You get used to it.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2017, 05:03:00 PM »
Yep, I also use the 2 methods listed above for shaping the back of the neck.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2017, 05:25:38 PM »
I'll usually fade the back from a #1 to a #2.  Then you just go over the lower neck area with the #1 and it's close enough that nobody will give you crap.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2017, 03:13:06 PM »
Second time cutting my hair yesterday I had a major brain fart.  Used a #3 guard all around the sides and it was looking ok then worked the top for a minute and noticed I missed a spot on the sides.  So I took the long guard off the clippers but then forgot to put the #3 back on.  Ended up with a gouge in the side.  No subtle way to hide it other than to shorten everything.  It really messed up my mojo and the fade I had started.  I will be wearing a hat for a week or two when outside :-) But what ever, is all a learning process.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2017, 08:34:23 PM »
Try using the longest guard and also roll back the clipper control too it gives you even a bit more. Then also roll the guard up so you are making the angle taller and basically almost dragging the pointy part of the guard across your scalp. This will give you a bit longer on top without the hassle of cutting it with the scissors. Then when you bring the shorter guard up the sides to meet the top roll the clippers back and away so you don't leave a harsh line.
Hmmm...going to have to see if I can figure out what you mean and put it into practice. My teen son has been asking for more complicated haircuts (longer on top and some graduation to the middle) and I am floundering out of my depth lol! We've hunted for Youtube videos but haven't found the right one yet. His last haircut barely passed muster. Sometimes I get in the right frame of mind and he gets a fab haircut. The rest of the time . . . well, he got what he paid for and then I start pricing out barbers again.

Thankfully DH doesn't care at all so it's not stressful to cut his hair.

One day I may be brave enough to cut my own. My worry is I have a terrible cowlick that even my fab hairdresser has trouble with sometimes. And my DD's Hair is extremely thick and frizzy and previous hairdressers have not been able to control it. This one does her magic and voila...her hair looks a bit more tamed. So for now, we shell out $45/each for our haircuts.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2017, 12:56:11 PM »
I used to cut my kids' hair with the clippers, and then use my fingers as a measure on top.  Now I don't anymore - little one likes to go to the barber, big kid hates haircuts anyway.  Maybe he'll have a ponytail.

I tried to cut my own hair once (I'm a woman).  I found instructions on line, but it didn't really work for me.  I have long layers but my best haircut is a chin-length bob with long layers.

In order to cut my own hair "easily" (with the ponytail method) I needed longer hair.  By the time my hair gets that long, it's too long.  So generally I have been doing 2x a year cuts.  Bob it, then ponytail for 6 months.  Repeat.

I get many wonderful compliments on the bob.  It's better than the mom-bun I guess.

Heroes821

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2017, 01:58:53 PM »
I started cutting my own hair while still on Active Duty, but really if you buzzcut there is zero reason to pay someone for that.   Now my wife cuts it for me, I just use a zero and cut it once every 3 weeks or so.   

My son, 4, has naturally curly hair but I was bitching every time my wife took him to Walmart for a $15 hair cut so we started cutting his hair at home and he decided he wanted to look "like daddy" so buzzing it all off was the result.

My wife cried the first time, but he loves it and now we can save 14 years worth of hair cut costs!

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2017, 02:27:31 PM »
I have been thinking about cutting my hair now for some time. I used to go to a inexpensive hairdresser (22$).

$22? Goodness gracious. I used to think the $12 I pay was expensive and got a Wahl clipper for $20 on Amazon. Been cutting my hair for a year now. Each time I cut, I get better. I messed up my hair twice. Who cars? it's hair. It'll grow back. I cut every 3 weeks now instead of every 4 weeks when I used to go the barber shop. I used to take about 35 minutes when I started. Now it takes only 15 min.

I run with a 8 first all over. Then with a 6 till just above my ear line, then with a 5 till my ear, then a 4 till the mid ear, then a 3 from neck to mid year and side burns. Couldn't be happier.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2017, 08:15:00 AM »
I have been thinking about cutting my hair now for some time. I used to go to a inexpensive hairdresser (22$).

$22? Goodness gracious. I used to think the $12 I pay was expensive and got a Wahl clipper for $20 on Amazon. Been cutting my hair for a year now. Each time I cut, I get better. I messed up my hair twice. Who cars? it's hair. It'll grow back. I cut every 3 weeks now instead of every 4 weeks when I used to go the barber shop. I used to take about 35 minutes when I started. Now it takes only 15 min.

I run with a 8 first all over. Then with a 6 till just above my ear line, then with a 5 till my ear, then a 4 till the mid ear, then a 3 from neck to mid year and side burns. Couldn't be happier.

That's way too much work.  Start with your smallest number and work your way up.

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2017, 08:23:32 AM »

That's way too much work.  Start with your smallest number and work your way up.
Yeah. Tried that but I found that it is a bit risky :)

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2017, 11:36:24 AM »
So yesterday was "Mom's barber shop" day. Started with my teen son...who unfortunately was unhappy with my lack of skill - unfortunately I cut too much off and he claims he looks too kiddyish.

Every month I am ready to give up and send him to a real barber. But then he says we shouldn't spend the money so I try again. Every once in a long while the stars align and he likes the haircut. Ugh...I miss the days when I could just buzz his hair short.

Next up was my DH who just wants short and functional. His was easy.

Then I started work on the poodle. Between bath, blowdry, buzzing and scissoring, it took me 3 hours (normal for me as I am slow and he is not hugely cooperative). He looks decent.

2 out of 3 isn't bad.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!