Author Topic: How often do interviews fall through?  (Read 1659 times)

COEE

• Pencil Stache
How often do interviews fall through?
« on: December 02, 2018, 12:21:02 PM »
I've been interviewing a lot over the last couple years.

I've had 5 offers, 4 of which were competitive.  One I took. One would have been a good fit, but I decided to take the other offer.  The other two fell thru late in the game.  One company went shady giving me a high salary but wanting me to pay for all my own travel expenses (~10 weeks per year); I declined.  The other just didn't have a good feel - hard to explain - an extremely short interview (~1 hour) resulting in a high offer, but I just didn't seem to 'click' with people; so I declined.

Another I interviewed with seemed like a really good fit - they told me they really liked me from a culture fit - and I liked them too, but they were looking for more of a research type engineer than a practical engineer.

I'm hoping some HR or manager types around here can give some insight into how often interviews tend to go south - particularly late in the game.

birdiegirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: How often do interviews fall through?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 06:59:35 PM »
Generally when you start out strong in the first interview and make it to the second you they think you are a good fit.  It just comes down to a choice between you and the other candidate(s) they are considering. 

I've only had one I would say went south and that was due to something found in the background check.  My assumption is that she knew it would come up but perhaps wasn't aware it would disqualify her.  (Don't actually know what the issue was....our legal dept wouldn't tell me)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: How often do interviews fall through?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 07:53:38 AM »
Some companies tent to keep 2 people in the run for a long time. When you start noticing that after your second interview, nothing happens, only when you ask, you get some hints that they are still interested in you, then you may presume they are negotiating with someone else and keep you as a backup in the the first choice doesn't work out.

But in other cases, I think companies may praise themselves lucky that they find suitable candidates at all. In my company, we are situated outside of the city and they sometimes have trouble finding good candidates at all.