Author Topic: How much of a minimalist are you?  (Read 12636 times)

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
How much of a minimalist are you?
« on: April 14, 2015, 06:14:04 AM »
There's something about owning few items. Less headaches, less worry, less stuff! The less stuff you have, the less things that can go wrong in your life. I also think minimalism has a lot to do with frugality, even though it can come at a premium at times. The only difference is you don't necessarily want less stuff because it saves you money, it's that it generally makes you happier.

For instance, it pains me to own more than 1 computer. I do this because even though there is so much overlap, so many computers are specialized. It's the limits of the physical world we live in. I don't care as much since electronics are really the only thing I've ever owned "too much" of. It's what I value, so I guess in some ways it doesn't matter. I figure we are only going to see so many tech innovations in our lifetimes, so why limit yourself if it's something you really value and will use? Besides, a car and bike are really the only other important items I own.

Smartphone - obvious reasons
Tablet - reading/email/lounging
Laptop - work on the go/writing in bed
Desktop - gaming/convenience
Kindle - strictly for reading of course

I'd like to get rid of the desktop and tablet, but its really hard. GTA V just came out on PC and there are still so many other good games. I consider gaming a fairly frugal activity since there is relatively little startup costs and actually very little reoccurring costs if you don't go overboard. Plus, I like keeping a big screen around for convenience. At the same time, gaming is a waste of time on a productive level.

I don't own a house yet, but if I do, I can't see myself owning anything other than a condo. The mental excess of a house just seems so wasteful. I like only owning things I'll use. Why own 1000+ sq ft if I'll never use it? It's nearly impossible to find a decent fixed up home under 500-600sq ft. You could build, but the land ends up being way more than it's worth in some cases. The ideal home in my opinion is in an urban environment where you have the exact amount of space you need and can walk to anything. Sometimes this type of living comes at a premium, but to me the mental relief of having less to keep up with is worth it.

Does anyone else think similarly? In what ways have you sacrificed in order to achieve clutter-free nirvana? Does your minimalist life come at a premium by having to rent or borrow things when you need them, or do you prefer it that way?

kathrynd

• Bristles
Re: How much of a minimalist are you?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 06:36:05 AM »
Your list...
Smartphone - obvious reasons...we don't own one..just a basic cell phone without data or camera
Tablet - reading/email/lounging...we don't own one
Laptop - work on the go/writing in bed..my husband and I each have one (netbook)
Desktop - gaming/conveniencewe play all games on our netbook
Kindle - strictly for reading of courseI read paper books

We watch our floor model TV (circa 1990)

We do own lots of houses though..but choose to live in a one bedroom apt (we own), because we travel a lot.

mbl

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 06:47:48 AM »
Smartphone -   DH has one, I have a phone of average intelligence
Tablet  -            No
Laptop -           No (gave it to DS when his desktop died)
Desktop -        DH(CAD and FEA software)
Kindle -            Get books from the library

We don't have internet at home.   Broadband isn't available where we live.
I use my computer at work and the one at church.    It sounds like it would be very inconvenient but it seems to work for us.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 06:57:06 AM »
Smartphone - obvious reasons
Tablet - reading/email/lounging
Laptop - work on the go/writing in bed
Desktop - gaming/convenience
Kindle - strictly for reading of course

Well, Im getting better.

Smartphone-- totally agree with you--iPhone Robinhood app worth it alone.
Tablet-- tempted badly but don't have one. My wife says its just a bigger iPhone and iPhones are getting bigger anyway. She might be right.
Laptop-- not this time.. was tempted.
Desktop-- Yes, a mac mini. I love apple. More programs writing/presentation/spreadsheet/movie edit/audio edit software free. Virus protection not needed.
Kindle-- Yes, there are digital libraries that will check you out a kindle version book for free atleast at the Phoenix public library site they do.
Garage Gym-- Yes, a $1500 american made built like a tank Rogue squat rack with olympic bumper plates and spotter arms so I can bench and squat alone safely.
A bow-- a used $85 Ben Pearson 50b recurve that was probably $500 new, I shoot in my backyard for free.. its totally legal.. check your local area.
An Xbox-- a pretty good media player actually

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 06:58:02 AM »
I'm a middling minimalist as far as the things I use goes.

But I'm afraid that I am a packrat as far as the things I've got boxed and stored goes.  This is one of my big "need to work on" areas.  :(

perummm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 07:08:39 AM »
Not really a minimalist... but have had good luck with not buying MORE stuff

Cell: Old iPhone 3G
Tablet : Nope
Laptop : The one provided by work... y use a personal HDD.
Desktop: Old one my daughter uses.. costed maybe $200
Kindle: Come on guys... LIBRARY.
Car : Work provided, also fuel and insurance..
Bike: Same one since I was 18... (now 33)

Now, i have some things I really really enjoy, and were bought on a previous life:

MB Meisterstuck fountain pen.... just love it! Ink is not much more expensive tan good quality disposable pens.. and I only use it for hand written notes or letters....

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 07:40:12 AM »
Smartphone - yep I've got one of these
Tablet - yes, use as a way to learn on the go (watch videos/learn Japanese) and also read
Laptop - technically yes, I technically have a laptop but its from college when I used it for programming lots, been meaning to get rid of it
Desktop - yes, I game lots and also use it for programming at home
Kindle - nope, read on my tablet
ps3 - basically an expensive netflix streaming machine, I got it years ago.  Arguably I could get rid of it and use my laptop to stream instead but ehh whatever.

I've thought that its kinda redundant to have both the tablet and the phone.  However, I think they both have their unique benefits.. phone is small enough to still fit in my pocket, its like a pocket dictionary/maps/phone/email/work email machine which is great.  Tablets are great for reading and videos on the go.  I've also started to see apps that are tablet only (I believe the app I use to learn Japanese is one of them).  Sooo while I could get by without a tablet or with a tablet and a dumb phone, I think the phone utility is easily worth the recurring cost to me, and the one time cost of the tablet is more than worth it as well.  I feel like these devices reduce clutter (for me) a lot more than they cause it, but that's just my experience :).

Also, I wanted to point out that some libraries lend ebooks through amazon/nook, so I totally get the people who have a tablet or a kindle/nook for reading.  Its great 'cause I can check out the ebook online, and without setting foot in the library I have a nice new book to read for free (yay Chicago public libraries).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 07:42:38 AM by ash7962 »

lise

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 07:48:02 AM »
Hey Ricky - don't beat yourself up.  You're a gamer so need the desktop, unless you replace your laptop with a souped up version. If you feel like downsizing, I would get rid of the Kindle and read on the Tablet (not as nice I know). 

As for me, I'm fine with Smartphone, Tablet, Laptop.  I could probably get rid of the tablet and still be happy but I have it now ;-)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 08:57:53 AM »
I've thought about consolidating my laptop/desktop into a gaming laptop, but they're so expensive (and slow in comparison) that it's a tough call. I have a super cheap laptop ($350) that I bought a few years ago, desktop, & smartphone (Nexus 5 bought used on Craigslist).  I never really got the attraction to tablets, but maybe new ones are nice (I had an HP Touchpad for a while when they were selling them for $99 - barely used it).

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 10:49:08 AM »
Haha don't ask my parents to answer this question. I think my dad has *at least* 3 laptops of his own, several different tablets, a few different smartphones, and a bunch of old desktops. He claims to "use" all of them but I think a majority of them are just outdated junk that rarely see any use. They can't admit that they're hoarders... maybe not as a bad as what you see on TV but my dad's "computer room" is a close second.

Unfortunately, my brothers and I took after him but probably my oldest brother and I are the least worst...

For myself:

smartphone: $20-30 Moto G I got from Boost Mobile (after cashback) and flashed to Page Plus
tablet: Nexus 7 (considering selling), Asus tf700t (want to sell this soon), and HP Touchpad (boxed up and ready to be listed for sale)
laptop: Macbook Air. may consider getting another lightweight laptop (perhaps one with a touchscreen) if and once i sell all the tablets.
desktop: mac mini i took from my dad and upgraded the ram and HDD to SSD - I'm using this as an HTPC. This replaced a custom-built HTPC that was drawing way too much electricity - the difference in usage is night and day. I need to sell that HTPC btw (will probably break it down and sell the parts individually)
kindle: I just use my Moto G or Nexus 7 if I want to read ebooks or use the Kindle app on them. I prefer paperback books though if i'm not lazy enough to actually read

The more I read sites like MMM and minimalist blogs, the more I'm fascinated with the lifestyle. It really is a lifestyle decision and choice to go minimalist. And it's so counter-American culture especially. For some of us, we get tired of culture always telling us and dictating what we should do, how we should live, and how we should spend. Sure I get jealous of friends who just moved into a newly renovated home or a new [multi]million dollar home but it's funny, the ones who moved in the million dollar home have been talking about all the work they have to do and all the money that they're about to spend on outfitting things, fixing up the yard, landscaping, etc etc etc. IMHO that's just the beginning. I live in a 1300sq ft condo co-owned with my parents and there's always a short bucket list of things to do. I can't imagine how much *more* stuff there is to worry about and things to do in a 3000-4000sq ft million dollar home. Not to mention the $20k in property taxes that need to be paid. The more I consider all those negatives, they start majorly outweighing the desire to move into some fancy-dancy single-family home. Maybe some day, if we have a ton of kids (but it ain't gonna be fancy!). I think right now we're fine. And even now, I'm trying to downsize with what we already have (especially with our first on the way... baby stuff takes up so much room)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:02:00 AM by jplee3 »

No-stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 07:13:26 PM »
Smartphone -   DH has one, I have a phone of average intelligence

I lol'd too hard at this.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 08:00:28 PM »
smartphone: $80 virgin mobile month to month contract
tablet: no
laptop: $800 toshiba i bought 5 years ago. I was running a small company and was able to write it off.
desktop: no
kindle: yes, was a gift
bike: hybrid, $350 my "splurge" when I moved to my small town, but sold my $350 road bike with pink wheels
car: no
tv: no
I bought a townhouse, best of all worlds IMHO. I get my little yard, shed, space for garden, 3 bedroom, 920 sq ft. My co-op takes care of all maintenance. Walking distance to everything in my small town, ten miles from a major city.
Sometimes it is a hassle to rent cars, but the local rental car company will pick me up. Also whenever my neighbors see me doing a chore with my bike (for example I went to get mulch from my town compost heap) my neighbors offer to give me a ride in their fancy trucks. Actually it's tough trying to have a car free life style because people are always offering me rides.

Zx

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 08:46:40 PM »
phone: two phones from Republic Wireless; both on 25 dollar plan
laptop: no
desktop: yes
kindle: no
bike: yes
car: yes, but NO in another month or so.

Gumbo1978

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 06:52:52 AM »
I've recently gotten interested in minimalism and I've found a lot of really good tips as a result.  While the lifestyle is not for me, there are a lot of valid points and I have been using the principles to make our home less cluttered. 

Read the popular "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing"  by Marie Kondo which I found helpful.  In the past I have kept things based on a variety of reasons.  Kondo recommends you organize by subject.  So you'd throw all your shirts in a pile, pick each one up individually, decide if it "brings you joy".  If it does, keep it.  If it doesn't donate it.  This helped me because in the past I would make excuses for keeping things, like "I might like this again someday", "I can cut the grass in this shirt", "I don't really wear this but got in on a trip I liked", etc.  Her approach helped me get rid of a lot of stuff.  The principle being that if you fill your home with items that bring you joy (vs. hiding those items with "stuff") you will feel better.   I'm finding this is very true.  Our home now has a better flow and we've gotten rid of a dozen or so full garbage bags of stuff (and we weren't hoarders to begin with).

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 06:57:11 AM »
laptop: $800 toshiba i bought 5 years ago. I was running a small company and was able to write it off.
bike: hybrid, $350 my "splurge" when I moved to my small town, but sold my $350 road bike with pink wheels
I bought a townhouse, best of all worlds IMHO. I get my little yard, shed, space for garden, 3 bedroom, 920 sq ft. My co-op takes care of all maintenance. Walking distance to everything in my small town, ten miles from a major city.
Sometimes it is a hassle to rent cars, but the local rental car company will pick me up. Also whenever my neighbors see me doing a chore with my bike (for example I went to get mulch from my town compost heap) my neighbors offer to give me a ride in their fancy trucks. Actually it's tough trying to have a car free life style because people are always offering me rides.

You're living the dream.

----

Thanks for the tips, Gumbo. Everyone can certainly benefit by doing some organization and ridding oneself of items they'll never use. I left the discussion of clothes out but it's definitely something that's also in the back of my mind. I have too many. In one way, I think since they all fit in my rather small closet anyway, what's the point in throwing them out? Ultimately it's just easier to only have a few outfits, that way you're not wasting time thinking about or deciding what to wear. I used to value looking "dappered" through the selective use of fashionable clothing, though now I realize it's more about your personality and confidence than anything you could ever place over your body. As long as I look presentable, I'm fine.

It's amazing how such menial tasks we can do day to day actually look once we actually reflect on them. You don't need to clean very often if you have a small space.

----

I was thinking more on the subject of how being a minimalist can come at a premium. One example is camping gear. I really want to start camping but I hate the idea of owning a tent and all of the associated items that go with it. It almost turns me off to the activity itself even though It's something I really want to do. If I do it anyway without buying, it's at a premium by renting if I were to go past the break-even point.

The same can be said for camera gear. I love photography, lenses, etc...I just hate lugging gear around.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 07:07:24 AM by Ricky »

MetalCap

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 07:29:53 AM »

I was thinking more on the subject of how being a minimalist can come at a premium.

This is a key when discussing condo vs house.  A condo can cost a premium in the long run due to lower appreciation, condo fees and lack of control over the HOA actions.  A house can provide better appreciation in most markets along with more flexibility in what you want out of it.  Couple that with renting out a room or whatever extra square footage you don't need, houses come out on top IMO.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 08:42:14 AM »
The same can be said for camera gear. I love photography, lenses, etc...I just hate lugging gear around.
I found a camera compromise that worked for me - sold my DSLR / 3 lenses and bought a Sony A5000 with with 16-50mm and 55-210mm lenses. It's compact enough to fit in a small case, and has a good APS-C sensor (same as my previous Nikon D40). It's not awesome for low light (best of f3.5) but it's good enough for what I needed. :)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 09:30:53 AM »

You're living the dream.

----

Thanks for the tips, Gumbo. Everyone can certainly benefit by doing some organization and ridding oneself of items they'll never use. I left the discussion of clothes out but it's definitely something that's also in the back of my mind. I have too many. In one way, I think since they all fit in my rather small closet anyway, what's the point in throwing them out? Ultimately it's just easier to only have a few outfits, that way you're not wasting time thinking about or deciding what to wear. I used to value looking "dappered" through the selective use of fashionable clothing, though now I realize it's more about your personality and confidence than anything you could ever place over your body. As long as I look presentable, I'm fine.

It's amazing how such menial tasks we can do day to day actually look once we actually reflect on them. You don't need to clean very often if you have a small space.

----

I was thinking more on the subject of how being a minimalist can come at a premium. One example is camping gear. I really want to start camping but I hate the idea of owning a tent and all of the associated items that go with it. It almost turns me off to the activity itself even though It's something I really want to do. If I do it anyway without buying, it's at a premium by renting if I were to go past the break-even point.

Camping can easily become glamping if you're not careful. I used to be of the mindset that I needed that fancy North Face pack, NF jacket, NF tent, NF footprint, and then all the accessories to hang all the crap inside the tent that I was going to lug with me (lights, lanterns, cookware, etc). Now when I think of camping, after having watched several episodes of Bear Grylls, I think of camping as gutting a dead moose and sleeping inside its skin during a snowstorm... okay maybe not that extreme but I've seen a lot of minimalist campers who literally just bring a tarp or two with them and rope for a tent. Use sticks, branches, and rocks as stakes and tie-downs. Ultralight backpacking - look into it. You can certainly spend a lot on even ultralight gear but many people do not - it's really just what you make of it. Same concept for many other hobbies, including photography - it's not the gear more than it is the photographer. I'm really into fishing but I suck at it, and some of the gear I own is relatively nice. For certain things, you really do get what you pay for (e.g. don't buy a kiddie fishing rod because it was only $15 if you're about to go on a 2-day tuna fishing trip LOL) but there are a lot of things we can do to improvise with less.

wealthviahealth

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 07:21:30 PM »
Very inspired by minimalism right now, especially for the ability to travel/live nomadically.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 08:23:41 PM »
For me it depends on how I am getting there. If I am biking or driving to a camp site I'll bring the heavy stuff. If I'm hiking in I'll bring the light stuff. But I rarely hike in. I've camped pretty minimally but I think my back has had enough of that.

You're living the dream.

I'm glad I can brag somewhere. And lest anyone misinterprets it I meant the initial cost of my phone was 80 and it's 35 monthly. AND (I'm not done bragging) I rent out one of my rooms.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2015, 09:31:37 AM »
For me it depends on how I am getting there. If I am biking or driving to a camp site I'll bring the heavy stuff. If I'm hiking in I'll bring the light stuff. But I rarely hike in. I've camped pretty minimally but I think my back has had enough of that.

You're living the dream.

I'm glad I can brag somewhere. And lest anyone misinterprets it I meant the initial cost of my phone was 80 and it's 35 monthly. AND (I'm not done bragging) I rent out one of my rooms.

This is *seriously* the only kind of bragging I think I can tolerate. Boasting to others on how little you can live off of is far more challenging and fun (as well tolerable and encouraging in a way) than boasting about how much more expensive crap you just bought (the latter just makes you look and sound like a total prick!)

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2015, 09:58:53 AM »

You're living the dream.

This is *seriously* the only kind of bragging I think I can tolerate. Boasting to others on how little you can live off of is far more challenging and fun (as well tolerable and encouraging in a way) than boasting about how much more expensive crap you just bought (the latter just makes you look and sound like a total prick!)

Yes. "You're living the dream" was a little tongue in cheek, even though I whole-heartedly believe it.

MLKnits

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2015, 10:04:56 AM »
I'm endlessly trying to be more minimalist (though there's definitely a point of diminishing returns). I know exactly what you mean, OP, about having too much space and needing to fill it. I moved from a larger apartment to a smaller one, but the smaller one is laid out better and has actually resulted in my buying new furniture to fill it, which is frustrating. Even now it feels a bit empty and I think about additions for a while before the sense gets knocked back into me.

My big thing is digital > physical. I have awful vision (even corrected) so paper books are a pain for me, which makes it much easier and much, much more enjoyable to donate my paper books and stick to my Kobo and to Overdrive. I own maybe a dozen DVDs, which I should really toss, and a few signed CDs (the signatures are the only reason they stick around), but basically, if I feel the need to own it, and mostly I don't, it's digital.

I'm trying to digitize all my personal paperwork now, which is scary (there go 7 years of bi-country tax documents into the shredder!) but pretty damn freeing. Who needs a filing cabinet when Evernote and Google Drive exist?

All of this said ... I still end up owning a lot of stuff. It's a work in progress. Have y'all tried the 333 project? I'm loving it. I pulled a couple of things out of my winter box over the course of the season, but only a couple, and the rest are getting tossed or donated when I switch to the summer wardrobe.

Smartphone: Yes, and it's an Apple (cue the horror, I know)
Tablet: Nope, don't see the point
Laptop: Wonderful, hard-wearing tiny one
Desktop: No, although I use one at the office
Ereader: Yes, and a back-up. I spend hours most days reading.
Bike: Yes, and I've started biking to work again after several years of clown-car!
Car: Yup.
TV: I own one, but I've turned it on about twice in the last six years. I really need to get rid of it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 10:07:51 AM by MLKnits »

Lian

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2015, 10:20:01 AM »
•   Smartphone – work issued. Personal phone is Tracphone dumbphone
•   Tablet – nope
•   Laptop – use it everyday
•   Desktop – nope
•   Kindle – love the kindle

I live in a 750- sq. ft. 1bed/1bath condo that was meant to be my starter home to build equity for the house I thought I wanted.  After a couple of years, I realized that I didn’t want more space or more stuff, and that my living expenses could stay low in the condo. There are HOA fees, but a house of the same size (if you can find it) in my city can sell for twice the current value of my condo – cheaper to stay where I am, and I like the condo just fine.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 11:45:42 AM by Lian »

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2015, 11:18:06 AM »
"You're living the dream" was a little tongue in cheek

I'll take it.

Gyosho

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2015, 11:34:23 AM »
My list:

Smartphone: No. 6-year old dumb phone, prepaid $100 fill up once a year (mainly used for work, I'm on-call regularly). I also have an iPod Touch that I use mostly for texting, checking the weather and listening to music.

Tablet: No

Laptop: MacBook. Use it every day. Love to watch PBS shows on it.

Desktop: Not at home.

Kindle: Yes! 5 years old. Our local libraries offer check-out of Kindle books. I love it!

Bike: Yes

Car: No. Scooter, uses 1 gallon of gas a week (70 mpg), yearly insurance $200.

Kiwi Mustache

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2015, 12:48:38 AM »
I'm a pretty hardcore minimalist.

Anything I don't use I sell 2nd hand. If I haven't used it or don't intend to use it shortly I'll sell it. If I need something again, I can always buy it 2nd hand for the same price I sold it at years earlier.

I basically own and bed, a bedside table, drawers for my clothes and shoes, a few small kitchen utensils a car and a bike. My room has one photo frame on the wall and that is it.

I actually get stressed out and feel I cannot relax until I get rid of excess stuff.

I've been told I've taken it too extreme that it isn't healthy (by my mother) but I love the lifestyle.

Don't de clutter, de own is my motto!

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2015, 01:12:23 AM »

Smartphone - my company paid for the phone and bill.  They give me a new one every 1.5 years.

Tablet - I have a 1st gen iPad, bought it before I discovered MMM.  It is so old I can't update the OS anymore but it has become the kitchen tablet.  Use it to look for and store recipes.

Laptop - I have 2 both provided by the company.  One is my current work laptop the other is my old work laptop that is now for personal use.  I didn't pay for either.

Desktop - nope

Kindle Fire - 1st gen.  originally I bought this for my mom but she didn't want it.   I use it everyday for reading.  No library in my town but I have Amazon Unlimited so I read 3-5 books a month on it.

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2015, 09:44:19 AM »

I was thinking more on the subject of how being a minimalist can come at a premium.

This is a key when discussing condo vs house.  A condo can cost a premium in the long run due to lower appreciation, condo fees and lack of control over the HOA actions.  A house can provide better appreciation in most markets along with more flexibility in what you want out of it.  Couple that with renting out a room or whatever extra square footage you don't need, houses come out on top IMO.

I don't disagree with you. Buying more house you need for investment reasons is akin to having more money than you need for investing in general. The difference is directed towards those who genuinely think they need houses to "grow into", or have more space for "status" or "comfort". I would definitely buy a house for investment reasons, but not personal per se.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2015, 11:20:37 AM »

I don't disagree with you. Buying more house you need for investment reasons is akin to having more money than you need for investing in general. The difference is directed towards those who genuinely think they need houses to "grow into", or have more space for "status" or "comfort". I would definitely buy a house for investment reasons, but not personal per se.
I agree as well. My ideal house is tiny (enough for two people + dog + cat, guesstimating 800sq ft?) with a large shop.  My current house is over 1800sq ft, but I'm renting two rooms out so it's actually more than paying for itself.

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2015, 12:02:38 PM »
Family of Five Here (DH, me & three tweenagers)

Smartphones - four (2 iPhones + 2 Moto G's)
No tablets - one iPad
Laptop - one (work issued)
Desktop - one for family use
Kindle - one

Not to mention: 2 (cracked) ipods and another (cracked) iPad mini + child #3  uses my old iPhone 4 for iMessage, FaceTime, and game apps.