Author Topic: How do you carry your money/cards/stuff?  (Read 9148 times)

Travis

• Magnum Stache
How do you carry your money/cards/stuff?
« on: October 28, 2017, 12:36:14 PM »
So my wallet which I've had for 12 years is on its last threads.  They can get quite expensive so I'm hesitant to buy the same thing again.  I've seen a lot of folks walk around with glorified binder clips holding all their cash and cards, and others use something that looks like a rectangular makeup case.  I need to carry some cash, a handful of credit cards, and some business cards. Any recommendations?

Coiny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: How do you carry your money/cards/stuff?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 12:55:37 PM »
I put everything into a zipper pouch. I don't mind if they all mix together.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 12:58:17 PM »
We got my husband this a couple years ago, and he loves it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RMKLCC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (looks like we bought it January of 2015). Still in great shape, nothing worn out or loose.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 01:13:25 PM »
I think my husband got one at a Fossil outlet for around $30, like this: https://www.amazon.com/Fossil-Derrick-Front-Pocket-Bifold/dp/B013L60ZYU/

I carry my cards/cash in an RFID blocking case, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LY6FCPZ/ref=sr_1_3_twi_col_2?ie=UTF8 I put it in my jacket pocket or purse.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache

surfhb

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 02:21:57 PM »
Expensive wallets?   They're like $15-20

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 02:29:00 PM »
$12 slim Nautical wallet from TJM.

I don't carry all of my cards all of the time.  A debit card, a credit card (store the rest in a safe place), Target card, medical insurance, drivers license, bus pass, library card.  Keep it lean!!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 02:43:44 PM »
I have so many cards that I found such a case wallet too small. If I remember correctly they only have place for 6 cards. I ended up buying a sort if harmonica shaped wallet that fits lits of cards. I put a paper note in it as well, but in practice I pay everything electronically. I also filled an old children's wallet with my leftover coins and put that in my handbag, but that hasn't been used.
I find it now quite easy to locate my correct cash back card of membership card when I am shopping.

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 02:50:36 PM »
I bought a used Saddleback Leather Co. wallet (full grain leather 100 year warranty) on Ebay for like ~30 bucks? Had it for like 7 years now. Should last a few more decades at least.

Its the thin ID type. I think its great room for about 8 cards and ~10 bills or so. Minimalist.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 03:09:28 PM by windypig »

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 03:08:36 PM »
All I carry is my license, debit card and cash wrapped in a few spare hair ties.  When my hair isn't long enough for hair ties  I use a simple money clip.  I hate thick wallets, so I started becoming more and more minimal in that department.  It's amazing how little one has to have on them on a daily basis (I know ahead of time if I'm going to want to use a credit card, need a zipcar, etc).  At some point it got to where the wallet was thicker than what it was carrying, so I ditched it completely.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 03:19:39 PM »
I find there's only a few cards I actually use so I put everything together with a Velcro cable tie. Cost me nothing and it's about as minimal/lightweight as it gets. Make it nice and tight and everything stays together, a few bills included.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2017, 03:56:30 PM »
I just slide a debit card into my phone case. No other cards, cash or papers required. Simplicity Now!

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 10:52:53 PM »
I built a copper money clip back in high school for, as my dean put it, my "soda, candy, and stuff" side business.

Still using it 18 years later as my way to bind cash and cards together.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 01:11:33 AM »
You always have to ask yourself, do I really use this thing often? Clothing, card, whatever. I just use a little case, it looks a bit like an old-style cigarette case. There's a slot for each card since I've always hated flicking through them all. This took some sorting. If I don't use the card at least once a week, it's not in my case, I put it in my valet dresser - where I put keys, glasses etc at night.

I like the idea of just having them in a slot in a mobile phone case, but I'm paranoid about losing both in one go. If you have your cards but lose your phone, you can get a new phone within half an hour in an urban area; if you have your phone but lose your cards, you can put a stop on any money cards, and new ones will be delivered in a few days. If you lose them both? Big hassle.

I don't use loyalty cards, etc. The cards carried are,
- driver's license - this is not actually used weekly, but makes any interactions with police, banks, utilities companies etc much quicker
- everyday account card for groceries, etc
- public transport card
- library card
- swiss army knife credit card
- $50 folded up for the few places that don't do "tap and go" with debit cards

I shove receipts in my pocket, when I get home I immediately record the spending and then discard the receipt; if it's something I might need to keep the receipt for like a new mobile phone or something, usually there's a printed guarantee booklet or instructions, I staple the receipt to that and set it aside.

I don't usually get business cards, most people these days just direct you to their website, but any I do get and want to keep go in the valet dresser.

I keep some spare cash in the valet dresser. Coins are emptied from my pockets each time I get home, and go into a change jar next to that. Occasionally I raid it for parking or car wash money, or my son's pocket money. About once a month I take it to the bank and get $50 or so from it.

The cards stored in the valet dresser are,
- old bank account card (money still sometimes goes in there)
- credit card attached to our mortgage offset account - used for any $500+ purchases
- a few store gift cards
- old workplace staff card allowing entry to every one of their facilities in the state, I left 3 years ago but they send me a new one every year anyway, maybe they're trying to tell me something?
- Working With Children check (required in Australia if you volunteer to help out on school excursions, etc - confirms you've not been convicted of sex offences or sex-related professional misconduct like a shrink bonking a patient)
- a couple rewards cards my wife insisted we get but which I never use
- Fitness Australia card (professional association for trainers)
- Medicare card, usually only needed the first time you go to some physician, after that they have your details
- a few business cards so I can refer people to the competent tradespeople we've had

If I carried all that, plus some business cards and receipts, I'd have the George Costanza wallet in no time. You have to think about it a bit to be able to carry the minimum. Don't think, "what can I set aside or throw out?" just start by thinking, "I'm throwing out everything, what is the one thing I'll save and carry with me?" and then "what is the second thing?" and so on.

If you're unsure, start by taking all your cards and turning them backwards in your current wallet so you can't see which is which. When you pull them out to use them, put them back the right way so they're visible. Same time next week, open your wallet - any that still have your backs to you, you didn't use once, so they can be safely left at home.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 01:55:32 AM by Kyle Schuant »

Melf

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 10:29:30 AM »
I just go with a traditional bi-fold wallet and try to keep it lean.  The tri-folds feel too bulky before you even put your stuff in there.  I also recommend looking at Marshalls/TJ Maxx/Ross for something suitable.  They usually have a good selection for between $10 and $20.  I try to keep my wallet light and slim with just the minimum.  I don't carry much cash any more since I try to put everything on credit or debit for tracking and cash back purposes.  I usually have a debit card and one credit card unless I'm travelling and may need others.  I try not to carry store reward cards and stuff like that other than the Costco card.  I use a little, clear photo/card holder in my wallet to keep my insurance cards, medical cards, SS card (not sure why I even carry that around),etc.  I try to unload receipts and anything unnecessary when I lay my wallet on the nightstand at night.

frogstomp81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2017, 06:09:21 AM »
A binder clip is the best wallet I've ever used.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2017, 07:01:20 AM »
So my wallet which I've had for 12 years is on its last threads.  They can get quite expensive so I'm hesitant to buy the same thing again.  I've seen a lot of folks walk around with glorified binder clips holding all their cash and cards, and others use something that looks like a rectangular makeup case.  I need to carry some cash, a handful of credit cards, and some business cards. Any recommendations?

I bought a rubberized bi-fold wallet at an outdoors store ~10yrs ago. It's got room for a few cards, drivers license and some cash. Should last ~20yrs total and cost ~$17 CAD.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2017, 07:54:34 AM »
I have a 17yr old traditional leather bifold.
Iv'e looked @ clips & such but I have a lot of cards; the amount of organization in a bifold is perfect.

DW  uses a flip phone case with a pocket for DL and a couple cards.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2017, 08:50:33 AM »
$10 Target leather bifold from 2003 still chugging along here.  Driver's license, a few credit cards, Costco membership card, insurance cards, AAA card, library card, work key card.  No cash unless I have a specific reason (or am traveling).

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2017, 08:56:45 AM »

Awesome idea!

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2017, 01:18:34 PM »
I carry two things:
  • An All-Ett Sport wallet in my back pocket, for cash, CCs, and other frequently used items (e.g., Metro card), and
  • A small ID holder in my front pocket for IDs, work badge, ATM card, and a single large bill tucked away for emergencies.
That way my wallet stays thin, and if it's lost or stolen I still have my IDs and access to money so I can get home.

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 03:00:14 PM »
I carry two things:
  • An All-Ett Sport wallet in my back pocket, for cash, CCs, and other frequently used items (e.g., Metro card), and
  • A small ID holder in my front pocket for IDs, work badge, ATM card, and a single large bill tucked away for emergencies.
That way my wallet stays thin, and if it's lost or stolen I still have my IDs and access to money so I can get home.

I do something similar when traveling, but not at home. Too much hassle, I guess?

I've tried money clips and binder clips. Too much shuffling around to get to the thing I want.

I like a slim leather wallet with everything quickly accessible. I currently have this $11 one: https://www.amazon.com/Alpine-Swiss-Leather-Slimfold-Distressed/dp/B00MC1Q25C/ref=pd_sim_193_5?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=5DZGJP8G0349XNX1A1YR&th=1&psc=1. It's holding up fine after a few years. Not too worried about an $11 purchase every 5 or 8 years, though.

It's the perfect size for my minimal every day carry stuff (credit card, debit card, insurance cards, drivers license, metro card). I find the outside pocket especially handy for temporary items (hotel room keycards, parking slips, gift cards I'm planning to use that day, etc).

Only knock is that it has a logo nub/button thingy affixed to the front, which is a baffling addition to a super slim wallet. I immediately pulled it off with pliers...

« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 03:02:57 PM by Samuel »

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 03:07:22 PM »
One of these: https://www.raggededgegear.com/index.php/carbon-fiber-wallets/carbon-fiber-bifold-wallets.html

Looks like the price went up quite a bit from when I got it five or so years ago.  Shows zero signs of wear since new.  They are made of sailcloth materials.  Much better than some foreign sourced leather, IMO.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2017, 03:13:09 PM »
My wallet that probably ends up costing my a dollar a year ? if I am running somewhere and I dont want to carry it I just out a CC and maybe a larger bill in my phone case.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2017, 03:13:31 PM »

I was doing that for awhile too, but it seemed to be prematurely wearing out the magnetic strips on my credit cards. The the local Aldi still hasn't switched to a chip, so I still need them :-)

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2017, 03:33:53 PM »
I use a slim clip.

Metal, holds 4-6 cards and enough cash to last a weekend.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2017, 05:03:55 PM »
Thank you for all the suggestions. I was not expecting this many responses.  I haven't made up my mind yet, but I'm probably not going to go with an exposed clip design.  I look at them and worry either a) something will slide loose and I'll lose it or b) I'll somehow fold and break the cards.  My current wallet is a bi-fold, but each side has a fold that goes perpendicular to hold ID cards (I have three I have to carry every day).  On one side it can hold three cards one slightly on top of the other, but it has a design flaw that the bottom card gets bent from the leather warping.  I broke a credit card that way.  It also has several compartments on each side that frankly encourage holding onto too many business and credit cards.  I think I'd do better to find something slimmer and keep business cards in a separate container.

spokey doke

• Pencil Stache
  • Escaped from the ivory tower basement
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2017, 08:46:11 AM »
I carry two things:
  • An All-Ett Sport wallet
I love their stuff...all I use[/list]

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2017, 11:08:58 AM »
I bought a used Saddleback Leather Co. wallet (full grain leather 100 year warranty) on Ebay for like ~30 bucks? Had it for like 7 years now. Should last a few more decades at least.

Its the thin ID type. I think its great room for about 8 cards and ~10 bills or so. Minimalist.

That's the wallet I have!  I bought it off the website though, under "Dave's Deals", paid about the same price.

I carry my debit card, two credit cards, my health insurance ID (not sure why...), my BiMart membership card (can't get in the door without it), my CHL, driver license, and keep one or two bills in the middle pocket.  If I know I'm headed to Costco (a planned trip, since it's out of town), I'll swap out one of the credit cards for the Costco card. 

I can carry it in my hoodie, my back pocket, or a bag/purse easily.

willjj90

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2019, 02:33:14 PM »
Reviving an old thread!

I personally choose between a regular wallet and money clip... dependent upon where I'm going and what I'm doing.

Wallet when I need to carry more cards and cash that I do not want to lose.

Money clip when I am carrying some cash and a few cards (saves pocket space and looks neat!)

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2019, 03:31:15 PM »
Update on my 'wallet' then.  I used to use a money clip or hair ties, but have upgraded to this:

https://www.flowfold.com/collections/wallets/products/minimalist-card-holder-wallet

Cheap, and as a sailor I couldn't resist

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2019, 04:28:50 PM »

I dislike carrying bulky items in any of my pockets.

I have a wallet  made of  nylon fabric.

It's a trifold.

With all of my stuff in it it's still pretty thin.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 04:37:56 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

AlotToLearn

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2019, 05:48:24 PM »
I got a Fossil wallet as a Christmas gift a few years back and it does the job.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2019, 07:43:41 PM »
Small trifold wallet in a front pocket, phone on a belt clip, three keys (home, office, truck) on a carabiner hooked to the other side of my belt than the phone.

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2019, 09:43:40 PM »
I have a wallet that resembles a Jacob's ladder: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=jacob%27s+ladder+wallet&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

I love it. It makes other people feel uncomfortable (my roommate in China said she was sure someone would steal from me), and it's dropped cash before... but it's small and card-focused (I don't really do cash). I cannot imagine getting anything bigger, with the pockets provided in most women's pants.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2019, 11:24:02 AM »
I use a leather bifold wallet. I carry $10-50 paper currency, driver's license, cards for 4 financial accounts, library card, medical insurance card, transit card, and a key card associated with a leadership role at my church in it. I have a separate ID holder that has my work ID and access card. Most loyalty programs can be associated with a phone number, so I just provide that to identify my loyalty accounts rather than carrying their card.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2019, 11:49:54 AM »
I just bought a new wallet for my husband after his wallet of 13 years final broke. I looked at the company who made that wallet and there's were a minimum of $50! Yikes. So I went on Amazon and found a nice wallet in the same style for $12. Much better. He likes the money clip wallet style. If you search money clip wallet you will find several options. I saw them as low as $5 but he carries a number of cards so I opted for one with more pockets. It's real leather so I expect several years of use out of it.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2019, 11:55:34 AM »
For those that say you only carry a debit/credit card and your ID, do you not carry insurance cards with you?

I really want to reduce what I carry in my wallet but haven't figured out how to get it down as low as I want it to be (ID, credit card, debit card, health insurance card, RX insurance card, dental insurance card, HSA card, library card, work car insurance card).

I really want to get one of these for a wallet, but need to figure out how to reduce what I current carry  https://www.threadwallets.com/collections/all-wallets

I generally just use a coin wallet, for now (I do like that the one that I have zips), similar to this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fossil-Wallet-ID-Coin-Purse-Camel-Tan-Green-Zip-Floral-Lining-/113765902142
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 11:57:12 AM by Slow&Steady »

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2019, 12:08:22 PM »
For those that say you only carry a debit/credit card and your ID, do you not carry insurance cards with you?

I really want to reduce what I carry in my wallet but haven't figured out how to get it down as low as I want it to be (ID, credit card, debit card, health insurance card, RX insurance card, dental insurance card, HSA card, library card, work car insurance card).

I do not.  If I have a doctor's appointment I'll grab my insurance card.  If there's a medical emergency and I end up in the ER, insurance can be figured out later, which is what happened last time, wasn't a big deal at all.

Library can check me out with my drivers license.

Motorcycle insurance card I keep in my riding jacket pocket with the registration.  When I had a car I kept the insurance card in the glovebox.

I used to keep a credit card with me, but stopped that as well unless I'm going somewhere I think I'm likely to need it, or going out of town.  Just cash and debit now.

I have cash, ID, debit, and transit card.  That's literally it (and I'm thinking of putting the transit card away, because I rarely use it anymore, and if I do it's planned).  I've been that way for 5+ years and it's not once been an issue.

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2019, 03:26:46 PM »
I carry two things:

I do something similar when traveling, but not at home. Too much hassle, I guess?

I've tried money clips and binder clips. Too much shuffling around to get to the thing I want.

I like a slim leather wallet with everything quickly accessible. I currently have this $11 one: https://www.amazon.com/Alpine-Swiss-Leather-Slimfold-Distressed/dp/B00MC1Q25C/ref=pd_sim_193_5?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=5DZGJP8G0349XNX1A1YR&th=1&psc=1. It's holding up fine after a few years. Not too worried about an $11 purchase every 5 or 8 years, though.

It's the perfect size for my minimal every day carry stuff (credit card, debit card, insurance cards, drivers license, metro card). I find the outside pocket especially handy for temporary items (hotel room keycards, parking slips, gift cards I'm planning to use that day, etc).

Only knock is that it has a logo nub/button thingy affixed to the front, which is a baffling addition to a super slim wallet. I immediately pulled it off with pliers...

Apparently I'm getting old and senile. Got halfway through this reply thinking "I like the cut of this guy's jib" then realized it was me and this thread was resurrected.

Wallet is still going strong, though. Still perfect for my needs.

Only other thing I'd add now is that I specifically didn't get an RFID blocking wallet. The only RFID card I carry is my transit card so I can just slap my whole wallet against the sensor as I walk by. Don't even have to slow down.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2019, 04:38:04 PM »

I don't.  Like the other poster mentioned, insurance cards only get carried when needed (and I keep the ones for the car and pickup in their respective glove boxes). 

I now have a Costco credit card, so it stays in all the time as my backup credit card (referring to my original post).

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2019, 08:56:13 PM »
I (too) have struggled to find the right choice and a year or two ran across one of these -- https://www.amazon.com/Chums-18401117-Surfshort-Wallet-Orange/dp/B008H0XDOU/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=chums+surf+wallet&qid=1559357106&s=gateway&sr=8-1 -- in a sporting goods store and pretty much fell in love (particularly now after seeing the prices on some of what you guys are buying!).

It has 2 zip pockets, one with clear front for ID, and a slide-in pocket with keyring.  I don't attach my keys to that, they make it too clunky, but do like the option of clicking a carabiner on (even though I rarely do). 

I carry 3 credit cards (1 the "main" one, 1 a rewards card with varying benefits that only gets used for whatever's being rewarded (Chase), one that's through work), 1 debit card, a Costco card, my driver's license, health insurance card (which is paper thin -- literally), and a transit card.  Oh, and work ID.  And a bit of paper money, all coins go into a jar.  And sometimes a folded-up check in case I need to write one ... I don't carry my checkbook.  All those fit in the Chums thing fine.  I don't carry other cards (Rx, library -- I can use license -- any others unless I think of needing them.  And I keep car insurance info. in car).

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2019, 10:53:34 AM »
I have a leather folding two pocket business card holder I purchased for $8 at a highland festival in 1995. I had to re-do the stitching once, but otherwise it's survived wonderfully. Cards in one pocket, cash in the other. Slim and barely larger than a card. Small is a necessity with the tiny, nearly useless pockets that put in women's pants.

carbonfiber

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Carbon Fiber Money Clips
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2020, 04:58:30 PM »

Haha simplicity at it's best. they just annoy me because if there are only a few bills, it stills out for no reason.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2020, 07:16:09 AM »
I used one of those fifty cent metal binder clips for years.   Wife & kids made fun of me and bought me one of those fancy money clips that also holds a few credit cards so I carry that now, plus a wallet.
The money clip is for frequently used cards and spending money.   Still carry a leather billfold for lots of other stuff and extra cash.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2020, 07:31:44 AM »
Adding to the old thread...i do not carry an insurance card with me. I have a picture of it on my phone. I also don't carry my Target card because you can pay with the app in the store.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2020, 08:43:33 AM »
All-ett sport wallet for cash & cards, and a separate ID holder for my front pocket. The key thing for me is that the card slots face inward, so they're far less likely to fall out, compared to traditional top-loading slots.

I carry my IDs and such separately, both to reduce thickness in my back pocket, and also to mitigate potential losses due to loss/theft of my frequently used cash/card wallet.

Adding to the old thread...i do not carry an insurance card with me. I have a picture of it on my phone. I also don't carry my Target card because you can pay with the app in the store.
I do the same thing with my Discover card; the only place I ever need it IRL is at Sam's Club, and now I just have it loaded in their scan & go app.

worms

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2020, 11:46:15 PM »

Haha simplicity at it's best. they just annoy me because if there are only a few bills, it stills out for no reason.

Even simpler and cheaper...shirt pockets!  A shirt with two pockets even allows for a simple accounting system - personal cash, cards and receipts in one pocket; business cash, cards and receipts in the other! Slight risk of it all going through the wash, but you’ll only do that once!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2020, 12:06:37 AM »
I do not.  If I have a doctor's appointment I'll grab my insurance card.  If there's a medical emergency and I end up in the ER, insurance can be figured out later, which is what happened last time, wasn't a big deal at all.

Library can check me out with my drivers license.

Motorcycle insurance card I keep in my riding jacket pocket with the registration.  When I had a car I kept the insurance card in the glovebox.

I used to keep a credit card with me, but stopped that as well unless I'm going somewhere I think I'm likely to need it, or going out of town.  Just cash and debit now.

I have cash, ID, debit, and transit card.  That's literally it (and I'm thinking of putting the transit card away, because I rarely use it anymore, and if I do it's planned).  I've been that way for 5+ years and it's not once been an issue.
I've been thinking about losing the insurance card, but something in me still thinks that it could be useful to convey to whoever finds me that I am in fact financially responsible, look at this Blue Cross card, I'm not the hobo you think I am. Get me to the top trauma center, please and thank you.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!