Author Topic: How do I get rid of this (roof rat?)?  (Read 19465 times)

misshathaway

• Bristles
Re: How do I get rid of this (roof rat?)?
« Reply #100 on: October 06, 2018, 10:12:29 AM »
Maybe this was just a 'sentry' that was sent to investigate.

Don't volunteer for anything.

I just finished a 5 day surveil of my basement, where I had mice, chipmunks and rats for years. Temporarily repositioned a security camera down there at all different angles. Happy to report that all I have now is moths.

Painted the basement and in the process of doing that I found and plugged every single possible hole with steel wool and rags. It was so so gross since some former entrances still had mouse fur on the edges, and a poop trail. It was worth it though. You too will prevail!

jeromedawg

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2018, 02:05:17 PM »
Just a quick update in case anyone is interested... there's still at least one more rat out there that occasionally shows up. This one is definitely the smart one - it just peeks its head out from the notch every now and then but won't venture further. Actually, the other night I was woken up to some super loud noise as the traps went off. I thought it was a big rat that had gotten away. In reviewing the footage, it was a darned CAT! I'm not sure if the cat smelled the scent of the rats around the trap or if the traps/baits themselves were interesting but it ended up pawing at them and setting them off! Fortunately it was able to shake the traps off:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KwVCGacQK6jSuHKh8

kei te pai

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2018, 02:12:54 PM »
Still interested! Sort of a gruesome fascination really. Happy hunting .

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2018, 03:26:31 PM »
Still interested! Sort of a gruesome fascination really. Happy hunting .

Yes, we're still interested! Keep posting.

jeromedawg

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2018, 04:48:35 PM »
I figured the cat one would be interesting and was contemplating whether or not to share it, as some of you cat lovers out there may abhor it and might be offended. But as a dog lover, I figured why the heck not...LOL! Just kidding... I got over my fascination with owning a dog after signing up to volunteer at the local animal shelter, attending orientation, and not stepping foot back in ever since (and subsequently having my volunteer status revoked). This not because I decided it wasn't for me but more so because at the time we were expecting our first child and priorities shifted. Anyway, I digress. I will continue to post updates every now and then, and hopefully with some dead rat pics/vids for your viewing pleasure. :D

jeromedawg

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2018, 01:27:54 PM »
Got another one this morning! Not sure if this is the one rat was always cautious but it was definitely a larger one:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/A6stUvrpmfD5AZgo6

Raw bacon and peanut butter - it was sitting out for days too haha.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 01:30:23 PM by jeromedawg »

kei te pai

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2018, 12:17:14 AM »
Was that a rat? it looked enormous.  Good catch!

jeromedawg

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2018, 12:44:17 PM »
Was that a rat? it looked enormous.  Good catch!

Yep - it was definitely on the bigger side too. Hoping it's the same one cautious one that was previously trying to sneak around the traps. I've reset the trap with the same bait in it so we'll see what happens next. 

bryan995

• Stubble
« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2018, 03:49:05 PM »

jeromedawg

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2018, 10:33:39 PM »
Got another one. This one is going to be nasty because we're  currently out of town so it's going to decompose as-is...not sure what I was thinking but I couldn't stand the thought of not leaving the traps set.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2018, 07:15:10 AM »
These things look HUGE from the pictures.

A normal mouse that dies inside a wall takes 2 weeks to stop smelling. Sad that I know that. But I have no way of knowing the interval between death and first stink. Maybe there is a gap! Hope so for your sake.

jeromedawg

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2018, 12:11:40 PM »
These things look HUGE from the pictures.

A normal mouse that dies inside a wall takes 2 weeks to stop smelling. Sad that I know that. But I have no way of knowing the interval between death and first stink. Maybe there is a gap! Hope so for your sake.

From nose to tail these are probably at least 10-12 or more inches on average. Pretty disgusting... I'm pretty sure it's just going to stink bad by the time we're back. I'll probably just need to make a water/bleach mixture in the garden pump sprayer, hose down the area, spray and let sit, then hose down again and hope it's OK if it's really that bad.

Video of the action: https://photos.app.goo.gl/o65z1uPGt2CtogUD6

I think I've figured out the secret to increasing the effectiveness of these traps and that is to 'funnel' the rats into the baited area, else they are cautious enough to go around and hop over the other side. Once I started blocking the back-side of the trap off (using the scrap pieces of 2x4s as seen in the pics and vids) the rats were forced to try to jump or step over the baited part, if they weren't interested in the food, and were almost always stepping on the trigger plate.
I think I've only seen one instance of a rat actually going for the bait and getting caught versus all the other times where the rats just tried to step or jump over/through the trap.
So if you can force them to step through the baited side you'll almost always get them. This I think is particularly effective when dealing with rats who are taking advantage of natural narrow passage ways between two walls. Since I could move the shed further out, this was even better as I could line the traps up perpendicular between the shed and the wall. And then easily drop the 2x4 scraps into create the funnel
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 04:08:35 PM by jeromedawg »

jeromedawg

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2018, 04:28:46 PM »
I totally thought I posted this other one but I guess I didn't (or I just can't find the post):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FByAk2jtPrdFWzou5

That was a young one I got earlier in October. Definitely smaller than these most recent two.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: November 20, 2018, 06:50:41 AM »
I just got a basement French drain put in this past summer. And since the basement was completely torn up and everything moved away from the walls I took the opportunity to plug any hole with steel wool or hardware cloth. I put a camera down there for a week afterward and nothing moved except moths. Yesterday I was sweeping and washing the floor and I found a couple of mouse turds and dirt spray coming from a section of the French drain behind the furnace. Even though the drain space is only a 1/2 inch along the perimeter of the wall, for about 6 inches behind the furnace it is about 1 inch wide. They are coming up through the French drain there!! Arghhhh.

I put a poison bait there to see if they take it. I am so disappointed. I was mouse-free for approximately 3 months, while they regrouped. The only way I can fix this is by hardware-clothing that opening and eventually the entire perimeter of the basement.

jeromedawg

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2018, 10:30:15 AM »
I just got a basement French drain put in this past summer. And since the basement was completely torn up and everything moved away from the walls I took the opportunity to plug any hole with steel wool or hardware cloth. I put a camera down there for a week afterward and nothing moved except moths. Yesterday I was sweeping and washing the floor and I found a couple of mouse turds and dirt spray coming from a section of the French drain behind the furnace. Even though the drain space is only a 1/2 inch along the perimeter of the wall, for about 6 inches behind the furnace it is about 1 inch wide. They are coming up through the French drain there!! Arghhhh.

I put a poison bait there to see if they take it. I am so disappointed. I was mouse-free for approximately 3 months, while they regrouped. The only way I can fix this is by hardware-clothing that opening and eventually the entire perimeter of the basement.

Ugh... my brother had a mouse issue too. His house is a mouse-haven because they have so much crap and junk laying around. He saw at least three mice running around so laid some traps out and got them. He thinks that was all of them but who knows. He was blaming it on the neighbor cutting down their ivy, which "forced" the mice to find refuge. I just think they had mice in their house the whole time because he said they saw one prior to all that and even hired and exterminator. Every time he said he saw a mouse in a certain area, he would say "oh yea and there was a cracker [or candy] sitting behind in that area." I'm sure there are more mice in his house and he has no idea. He left the traps sitting out too when we brought our kids over...smh. I told him about how when we were visiting a friend, my son picked up a *SET* RAT (not mouse) trap and brought it over to show me. Our friend was super embarrassed and felt awful about it...rightly so as my son could have lost his finger(s). We are so fortunate the trap didn't go off. Supposedly they had a possum in their house(!!!) and had tried trapping it but this was a while back and they apparently forgot about the trap. They put it inside an old Amazon shipping box and my son just happened to go exploring and find it. Granted, mice traps are much smaller but knowing someone has set traps in their house while our kids are there takes things to another level.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 10:39:37 AM by jeromedawg »

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #115 on: November 21, 2018, 06:59:05 AM »

Ugh... my brother had a mouse issue too. His house is a mouse-haven because they have so much crap and junk laying around. He saw at least three mice running around so laid some traps out and got them. He thinks that was all of them but who knows.

Nope. Traps are not the answer unless you can buy enough for the whole outdoors. It probably makes it even worse because you are culling the most stupid ones so more food for everyone else and the smarter ones breed smarter future pests.

I am glad I am not a parent. Who is going to think about possible rat traps and poison when visiting a friend?