Author Topic: How about a Hyundai to replace my impala?  (Read 2788 times)

sixkids

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How about a Hyundai to replace my impala?
« on: January 14, 2017, 10:26:03 PM »
This place is crowded, but if anyone knows, I'm contemplating getting rid of my 2008 chevy impala and getting something different. I've seen a lot of people talking about Nissan Leaf, Toyota Prius and Scion xa.  When I was looking today, I came across this:
http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/19CD8C3C

Hyundai Elantra touring wagon. Small, four cylinder, stick shift. Newer than the impala, and from what I can tell, pretty reliable. Does anyone here drive one and/or have any knowledge?

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How about a Hyundai to replace my impala?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 06:44:40 AM »
Those are good cars, and I would rather have the Hyundai than the Impala.

Is there any specific reason you want to get rid of the Impala? Just curious.

You can find a lot of sites with customer reviews of the Hyundai, such as: http://everyauto.com/cars/research-reviews/Hyundai/Elantra-Touring/

sixkids

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 07:34:38 AM »
Those are good cars, and I would rather have the Hyundai than the Impala.

Is there any specific reason you want to get rid of the Impala? Just curious.

You can find a lot of sites with customer reviews of the Hyundai, such as: http://everyauto.com/cars/research-reviews/Hyundai/Elantra-Touring/

I posted a little more detail in another post,  it the short version is that it's developing a transmission issue. It's otherwise a decent enough car, but I don't think it would be worth spending 2-4K to replace the transmission because trade in value is not much more than that and there are a few other minor issues with it.  I'm not 100% sure replacing it with a higher mileage car is the right answer, but I'm weighing out all the options.
1- keep it and replace it when the transmission finally does fail, basically a $500 value at that point.

2- trade it on a $1,000 beater. I work at a dealer and can get cheap labor, but this could be a great plan or the worst. I've had good luck previously when I was Dave Ramsey planning, but it took a while to find decent beaters.

3- trade it for a 3 year old chevy volt with 50k miles for $10,000. After impala payoff and $7500 downpayment, finance about $7500. Payoff asap.

4- something like this Elantra touring.  Newer than impala, but more miles. After impala payoff own the Elantra free and clear, but have a 130k mile car or higher.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 12:55:30 PM »
From what I've seen and read over the years, GM tend to buy parts with a shorter lifespan than the Japanese manufacturers. I know you see older American cars out there with high miles, but they seem to require a lot more maintenance.

I have a 2010 Cadillac with 86k miles, and I've already replaced two wheel bearings and the alternator. That's unheard of with any Japanese car I've had before.

I like the Volt too, but (as I'm sure you know) resale value is not great, and I can only see it getting worse now that a slew of electric cars with 200+ mile range are coming out.

If you have any idea of the Elantra's service history, it should be a good buy. I believe the Touring has a timing belt, not a timing chain like the 1.8 engine, so that should have been changed at least once by now, twice if they followed the severe service schedule.

sixkids

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 01:10:55 PM »
That's about how I feel. Seeing a 20 year old Toyota Camry is an every day occurrence. A 20 year old GM is a rarity.
On my 08 impala with 73k miles, I have replaced an internal transmission solenoid, tire pressure monitors on multiple occasions, door lock actuator x2, intake manifold gaskets, power steering rack, crankshaft balancer, and as it sits, the wheel bearings are going bad and the heater core has a small leak. Add in the transmission issue, and I'm just not convinced of the longevity. Keep in mind, these repairs have all been in the last 2 years, and it's been meticulously maintained since new. 
Prionto my purchasing the car, it had the entire front suspension replaced, brakes replaced twice , Evan system lecannister replaced, and the normal battery, tires, etc. the previous owner got oil changed every 3,000 miles since new. On paper, it should be a perfect car. In reality, it's not. I like the car though, which is why I'm trying to talk myself into keeping it. I just don't think it's a smart decision

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 01:11:18 PM »
Hyundai Elantra is a great car. My mom drives a 2004 Elantra (not touring Wagon version). It has only 70000 miles on it as my mom does not drive much anymore but it runs great.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!