Author Topic: Honda Fit: does it fit Dog + Baby + stuff?  (Read 8435 times)

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
Honda Fit: does it fit Dog + Baby + stuff?
« on: October 25, 2017, 12:38:38 PM »
After a good five years of ownership we've outgrown our Hyundai i10, as our (particularly large, leggy) dog must be able to lie down (artrosis). Obviously, the trunk of the i10 is too small and we want to give her a bit more room to manoeuvre. For now we've put  the back seat flat, but this is not a permanent solution given that we'd like to be able to transport family / friends / camping gear as well.

We're looking for a bigger hatchback / station wagon that fits Dog and still gets decent mileage and is reliable, preferably a hybrid. The smaller the better, but I'm wondering how small we should go considering kid(s) are on the horizon in 1-3 years. Honda Fit seems like a nice car but we'd like to make sure we don't have to trade it in in <5 years because we've outgrown it again. We've measured the trunk and Dog-lying-flat would just fit (woohoo). My partner is a long legged bloke just like his dog, he also just fits in the Japanese drivers seat. It's all just big enough, or not...

I'm hoping for input from frugal folks with experience with this car + a dog + a kid.
- does it fit dog + 1 kid + kid stuff?
- does it fit dog + 1 kid + kid stuff + camping gear?
- other thoughts about the wisedom of purchasing a just-big-enough car (Honda Fit) vs. a more-than-big-enough car (Prius wagon or something similar) are welcome as well.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
Re: Honda Fit: does it fit Dog + Baby + stuff?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 01:21:58 PM »
After a good five years of ownership we've outgrown our Hyundai i10, as our (particularly large, leggy) dog must be able to lie down (artrosis). Obviously, the trunk of the i10 is too small and we want to give her a bit more room to manoeuvre. For now we've put  the back seat flat, but this is not a permanent solution given that we'd like to be able to transport family / friends / camping gear as well.

We're looking for a bigger hatchback / station wagon that fits Dog and still gets decent mileage and is reliable, preferably a hybrid. The smaller the better, but I'm wondering how small we should go considering kid(s) are on the horizon in 1-3 years. Honda Fit seems like a nice car but we'd like to make sure we don't have to trade it in in <5 years because we've outgrown it again. We've measured the trunk and Dog-lying-flat would just fit (woohoo). My partner is a long legged bloke just like his dog, he also just fits in the Japanese drivers seat. It's all just big enough, or not...

I'm hoping for input from frugal folks with experience with this car + a dog + a kid.
- other thoughts about the wisedom of purchasing a just-big-enough car (Honda Fit) vs. a more-than-big-enough car (Prius wagon or something similar) are welcome as well.

So don't have a dog but have done 1 kid + kid stuff + camping gear + canoe multiple times.   I have no problem fitting all the paddles, lifejackets, and camping gear in the back with the car seat. Usually fold down the seat for the paddles and stack all the gear on top. It fits fine, certainly full but not rediculous tetris full (can even see out back window if I pack carefully).  Just got a rack for the top so that the canoe is even easier to get on.   I'll admidt that these trips are the times I wish I had a larger vehicle but we camped about 8 days this summer and I drive to work at 40mpg 5 days a week..

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 01:24:02 PM »
I don't think it would fit Dog + baby (in carseat) + stuff.

If kid can go in front seat, you have a lot more room you can configure.

I almost bought a Fit, but wasn't comfortable how close my real facing car seat would be to the bumper if I was rear ended.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 03:04:03 PM »
I didn't think the Fit was big enough for two kids.  We went up one step to the Civic. 

Don't make your calculations based upon having a baby ... think about having a 10-year old.  You may very likely still own this car when you have a 10-year old.  What do you assume you'd do with a 10-year old?  When camping, would you expect to take two small tents so the child and a friend could share separate from you?  Would you need to carry bicycles?  Would you anticipate sharing rides to soccer tournaments? 

Kapiira

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 03:42:41 PM »
I have a Fit (2012*) and it fits a family of 4 for long road trips.  The most impressive was the four of us, plus winter coats and boots, baby stuff, and Christmas presents.  We'd need to use a car topper if we took it camping.

* Note that current model Fit seems to have a smaller trunk.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 07:20:47 PM »
I think 1 kid, not 2.

I have a 13 year old Civic, so probably comparable to today's Fit.  I can do 2 kids no problem, but not 2 kids + dog, because where would the dog go? 

In the case of the Fit, you could do 2 kids + dog, but no stuff.

Camping got really tight for us with the 2nd kid, and we are pretty minimalist.  You definitely couldn't camp in a Fit with 2 kids and a dog.

But, how often do you camp and when will you really have 2 kids? 

We were given a minivan and it is awesome for camping, but without that gift we were going to go with one size bigger than Civic in order to camp with 2 kids and not be miserable.  YMMV.  Also depends on ages- baby hardly takes up room (except for giant carseat), but my kids are 10 and 7 and have legs, so we can't stuff things on the floor of the back seat any more. 

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 07:28:47 PM »

I almost bought a Fit, but wasn't comfortable how close my real facing car seat would be to the bumper if I was rear ended.
As a Fit owner I'm obviously biased but I can tell you I can do dog+ baby+ stuff no problem.  I guess it might depend on the dog. Newfoundland, not so much. smaller dog, no problem. Is dog in crate? I'd say dog in crate + careseat in back but not much stuff. If dog just sits on a seat like another person then dog + carseat on backseat and stuff in back no problem. Or dog in back, stuff next to carseat on backseat.  With the dog I might want a roof box for camping, although I could certainly DO it without with a more 'backpacking' style of lean camping set up. For my preferred car camping lifestyle with more gear I'd need a car top box if you add the dog into play.

HOW OFTEN DO YOU CAMP WITH A DOG AND KID?? This is really the key point. Don't plan for the 8 days a year plan for the other 357.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 08:41:21 PM »

As a Fit owner I'm obviously biased but I can tell you I can do dog+ baby+ stuff no problem.  I guess it might depend on the dog. Newfoundland, not so much. smaller dog, no problem. Is dog in crate? I'd say dog in crate + careseat in back but not much stuff. If dog just sits on a seat like another person then dog + carseat on backseat and stuff in back no problem. Or dog in back, stuff next to carseat on backseat.  With the dog I might want a roof box for camping, although I could certainly DO it without with a more 'backpacking' style of lean camping set up. For my preferred car camping lifestyle with more gear I'd need a car top box if you add the dog into play.

HOW OFTEN DO YOU CAMP WITH A DOG AND KID?? This is really the key point. Don't plan for the 8 days a year plan for the other 357.

If you go lean backpacking with an infant, you are more hardcore than I am. I've found camping with an infant takes a lot more stuff.

To be honest, we had trouble getting stuff in an Escape for a week long trip with baby and 2 dogs. And that is with us not traveling with a stroller or pack and play. We do bring a crate,  but it is folded flat.

I've never used a roof carrier though. I'm suspecting we may need to look into one in the future.

If it was just me, the Fit seemed awesome.

MoneyRx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 09:55:58 PM »
I recently acquired a 2015 fit and would note you can put the seats down in increments (1 down or 2 down or all 3 down including the middle). So you could have a car seat on one end and the rest of the seats down for your dog to sprawl and still have the trunk space plus space around the dog for your stuff. I think the car is plenty big for baby + dog + gear.

tweezers

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 09:27:06 AM »
We have a 2008 Fit, which we bought when I was pregnant with our first.  We fit two kids, two dogs (50 and 65 lbs), and all their stuff when they were small (i.e. their feet didn't touch the floor and we could put stuff there).  When we camped (not often) we needed a roof rack.  We didn't travel with a giant stroller either...umbrella stroller and/or carriers. They're now 8 and 6, and our dogs have died :( .  We still do everything in it, but now that there's less floor space we're probably at the same storage place as we were when we had the dogs.  We plan on keeping this car pretty much forever, but we may need to reevaluate when we have mostly adult-sized teenagers in the back seat.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 11:02:20 AM »
That is a very good question.  If this is something you do every three weeks -- yeah, choose you car based upon your camping needs.  If you're going to do it once or twice a year, no.  Make do. 

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 11:52:27 AM »
It sounds like a tight fit based on what you have described. Do you have a Fit you can borrow or a carseat you can borrow? I'd go to a dealership (honestly, a Carmax if there is one available because they are ZERO PRESSURE and leave you alone to do what you want) and see if you can stuff your dog and carseat in the back, with husband fitting OK.

Camping gear, you can always get a roof rack or similar to carry extra stuff.

I'd probably go up to a Prius (not the Prius V or Prius C) to fit everything without having to play Tetris every time you go out.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 01:35:34 PM »
Considering kids are on the horizon in 1-3 years, I’m suprised this is even an issue.

My thought is that yes, you can fit everything. If you are willing. By that I mean, don’t post on here three years from now that your car is too small for your car seat. There are options out there for car seats designed for small vehicles.

This conversation seems anti-mustachian.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 03:00:05 PM »
Considering kids are on the horizon in 1-3 years, I’m suprised this is even an issue.

My thought is that yes, you can fit everything. If you are willing. By that I mean, don’t post on here three years from now that your car is too small for your car seat. There are options out there for car seats designed for small vehicles.

This conversation seems anti-mustachian.

I don't think it is. OP is not asking to buy the the biggest SUV possible to haul their family. They're literally just asking if a Honda Fit is too small, and they would be better served by a Prius. If this were one individual, it'd be the Fit hands down. But, because they have a large dog that needs to be able to lay down, a tall (?) spouse, and a possible baby in the picture, it might be prudent to assess if a slightly larger, but still mustachian car would suffice.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 03:18:14 PM »

Bought a 2013 Honda Fir earlier this year, it most certainly does fit my baby, large dog, and "stuff" with plenty of room to boot.  By lifting one of the back seats UP (not folding down), the dog has ample space to sit up with his front legs fully extended (while his rump is sitting down). They dont call it the FIT, for nothing.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 03:10:26 AM »

What is the price difference between Fit vs Prius Wagon in Netherlands?

I am all for saving money, but if the price is not significantly different, I go for comfort and extra room. Sounds like you and the family will be spending time in the car, so comfort for everyone should be high on the priority list.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 03:47:41 PM »
Thanks everyone for your elaborate answers! You've given me enough to think about. Mostly, what I'm hearing is yes it is doable, while some say it might be doable but not enjoyable long-term. That makes sense.
A few things:
- yes, my partner is a tall guy. 1.87 m = 6'2''. We'll just have to test drive to make sure he can drive comfortably for a longer duration as well.
- dog is not in a crate per se, if the trunk fits that's fine.
- The chairs folding up does help a lot! I figure we can stow a stroller + foldable bed vertically behind the passenger seat for instance.
- to the people mentioning car seats: thanks, that wasn't even on my radar. But Google says there are car seats for a Fit, so this should be something we can work our way around.
- camping is 3 times a year. I'd be OK with using a roof carrier when needed.
- I'm not sure about driving a (say) 2012 Fit for 10 more years. We plan to drive the car for at least 5 years, any more years are a bonus.

All things considering, I still think this would be a viable option. We've measured Dog again more thoroughly and we'll test drive both a Fit and a Prius this weekend.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 01:20:58 PM by Spruit »

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 06:46:38 PM »
Thanks everyone for your elaborate answers! You've given me enough to think about. Mostly, what I'm hearing is yes it is doable, while some say it might be doable but not enjoyable long-term. That makes sense.
A few things:
- yes, my partner is a long guy. 1.87 m = 6'2''. We'll just have to test drive to make sure he can drive comfortably for
- to the people mentioning car seats: thanks, that wasn't even on my radar. But Google says there are car seats for a Fit, so this should be something we can work our way around.

These two combination items are the only reason I would consider NOT getting it at all. We are 5'5" and 5'8" so shorter and I will say the rear facing car seat cramps the style but has been doable.  Graco Click Connect 35 rear facing until 10months and now in a Britax boulevard click tight, still rear facing at 2 years.  If I was doing it again I'd just start with the britax. It can adjust angle wise which is really the key to front to back space. Anyways again, do able but will have to try stuff out.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 06:49:11 PM »
I recently acquired a 2015 fit and would note you can put the seats down in increments (1 down or 2 down or all 3 down including the middle). So you could have a car seat on one end and the rest of the seats down for your dog to sprawl and still have the trunk space plus space around the dog for your stuff. I think the car is plenty big for baby + dog + gear.

Yes this. We do rear facing car seat behind passenger and drivers side + middle seat folded down all the time. Seats fold flat.  We have a 2013 Fit and it won't fit skis over 170cm... for that you need a roof rack.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 07:47:40 PM »
We gave up a Fit to go back to a Civic based mostly on the engine difference. But for interior space? Two kids and a dog easily. 

, I loved that thing. . I love the versatility of the Fit and the interior space wasn't an issue. (Here it was climbing steep hills in -30 C weather in blizzards that put too much strain on the tiny engine.

Height in the Fit wasn't much of an issue and I've fit entire dining sets with 6 chairs in :)

I would recommend the Diono Radian (fits 3 across in a Fit) as one potential good car seat. But if you Google "3 across car seat in Fit" many people have made lists of  the ones that work. Seats like the Diono that have the "angle adjuster" pad to purchase will give you a ton more front seat room too. Like 4 more inches.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 07:49:53 PM by MBot »

tweezers

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2017, 06:38:13 AM »
We had at least one rear facing car seat in the back of our fit for 5 years, and for a brief period they were both rear facing (Britax).  My husband is 6'1", and is fine (although he'd love a minivan with captain chairs). Good luck.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 07:32:04 AM »
Update: on closer inspection, the Honda Fit really doesn't fit my partner. Too bad. Also, just 2 cm too narrow for the dog to lie down comfortably. As that was the goal of this whole enterprise, we've crossed it off the list. Prius wagon fell through; even though it is a big car, dog would not be able to sit up in the trunk. I double-checked if she's really that big. She is, needs 80 cm (31 inches) just to raise her head.

So back to square one after that. After a lot of measuring, looking up reliability and partner taking place in several drivers seats, we've narrowed it down to either a station (Ford Focus / Skoda octavia) or a not-too-rediculous MPV (Ford C-max / Toyota Verso). A station seems to be the somewhat more cost-efficient option than MPV; better mileage and lower weight means less taxes here. Now we're looking for a good used car in the vicinity to take out for a test drive.

The moral of this story really is: be very wary of getting a big dog. Even if they fit in your small car while they're young and healthy, they may not when old/injured.
Also, the i10 is a really nice, reliable and surprisingly spacious car, considering it's size. I am going to miss it.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 12:30:44 PM »
Bought a 2013 Honda Fir earlier this year, it most certainly does fit my baby, large dog, and "stuff" with plenty of room to boot.  By lifting one of the back seats UP (not folding down), the dog has ample space to sit up with his front legs fully extended (while his rump is sitting down). They dont call it the FIT, for nothing.

I've recently been looking at the Honda Fit myself online for possible purchase. I saw this back seat configuration you are talking about. Putting the back seats UP to carry tall stuff.

One thing I read says it can fit a child's bicycle in this type of setup. I guess it would go behind the driver and passengar seat with the rear seat UP.

I was wondering if it would fit an adult style bicycle, probably with the front tire removed. Has anyone tried this? If so, this would be a great car for me. I've never seen rear seat up configurations like that. I think they are called "smart seats" and maybe other Honda models have them?

I know with the older Honda Elements the back seats are totally removable. Is that the case with the Fit, or for that matter other existing Honda models?

Interesting to read that a canoe can fit on top with a roof rack on the Fit. Another plus.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 01:45:28 PM »

I've recently been looking at the Honda Fit myself online for possible purchase. I saw this back seat configuration you are talking about. Putting the back seats UP to carry tall stuff.

One thing I read says it can fit a child's bicycle in this type of setup. I guess it would go behind the driver and passengar seat with the rear seat UP.

I was wondering if it would fit an adult style bicycle, probably with the front tire removed. Has anyone tried this? If so, this would be a great car for me. I've never seen rear seat up configurations like that. I think they are called "smart seats" and maybe other Honda models have them?

I know with the older Honda Elements the back seats are totally removable. Is that the case with the Fit, or for that matter other existing Honda models?

Interesting to read that a canoe can fit on top with a roof rack on the Fit. Another plus.

The seats in the Fit are called "magic seats" and also available on the HR-V. I had a huge bike (beach cruiser) and it could not fit it in the Fit the way you are describing (between the front and rear seats). Maaaayybe the HR-V but even then I am not 100% sure. It can fit if you fold the rear seats flat and lay it across the trunk/seats in both vehicles.

I would guess the only model that might have removable seats is the van (Odyssey).

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 03:06:52 PM »
Update: on closer inspection, the Honda Fit really doesn't fit my partner. Too bad. Also, just 2 cm too narrow for the dog to lie down comfortably. As that was the goal of this whole enterprise, we've crossed it off the list. Prius wagon fell through; even though it is a big car, dog would not be able to sit up in the trunk. I double-checked if she's really that big. She is, needs 80 cm (31 inches) just to raise her head.

So back to square one after that. After a lot of measuring, looking up reliability and partner taking place in several drivers seats, we've narrowed it down to either a station (Ford Focus / Skoda octavia) or a not-too-rediculous MPV (Ford C-max / Toyota Verso). A station seems to be the somewhat more cost-efficient option than MPV; better mileage and lower weight means less taxes here. Now we're looking for a good used car in the vicinity to take out for a test drive.

The moral of this story really is: be very wary of getting a big dog. Even if they fit in your small car while they're young and healthy, they may not when old/injured.
Also, the i10 is a really nice, reliable and surprisingly spacious car, considering it's size. I am going to miss it.

Is your dog a Great Dane?

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2017, 10:26:11 AM »
You would think so, but no; "just" a wirehaired pointer. They aren't usually that tall, but this one is.