Author Topic: Home Improvement Books  (Read 3512 times)

mthorp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Home Improvement Books
« on: February 15, 2012, 12:49:47 PM »
I own one rental home, but it was in good shape when I bought it. I would like to work towards purchasing another home that would require some work in order for it to be rented as a premium home. This is several years down the road, but I'm looking for good, comprehensive books I can read now that will prepare me for doing that work. Topics I'd like to research are plumbing, electrical/wiring, carpentry. Can anyone recommend books in these areas that would start from basic knowledge and act like a comprehensive reference material for these topics?

October

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • New Mexico or Bust!
Re: Home Improvement Books
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 06:36:35 PM »
I don't know any specific books, but the "Dummies" series has several home improvement titles.  Check your library.  You might also check out your local Lowe's or whatever big box chain home improvement store is near you.  They will have a selection of how-to books that can get you started as well.  And there is the internet, of course.  Just type in DIY <subject area> and let your mouse do the walking. :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 06:06:21 AM by October »

Guitarist

• Stubble
Re: Home Improvement Books
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 08:55:04 PM »
My GF got me a Popular Mechanics @ Home DIY book for Valentine's Day, yeah, yeah, I could have gone to the library but I want at least one book I can reference readily available at home for whatever could happen at any moment.
I am sure there are books that are more detailed, but that is when I would head to the library.

I think she got it at a Home Depot, not sure how much she paid:

http://www.amazon.com/Popular-Mechanics-Complete-Home-How/dp/1588168034/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!