Author Topic: Help me understand a self employed 401k  (Read 1311 times)

ETBen

• Bristles
    • I started a journal about single parenting and the new life towards FIRE
Help me understand a self employed 401k
« on: February 18, 2019, 07:53:26 AM »
I’m confused by the contribution limits. I’ve read a lot and still feel lost.  Here’s my situation. I have a well paying salary at my job for a large organization. I have maxed out all of my tax advantages options.For this 401k, I contribute 19k and my employer contributes 12k.

So the rest goes into a vanguard taxable account. I want to be able to put some of that in a solo 401k
I’m making the jump into a rental property. Putting the general tax benefits of the rental to the side....

As a business owner, I can open a solo 401k right?  The total limit is 56k - across both accounts or just the solo? 

But then there is the part about 25% of income. For this purpose, is that net (revenue minus expenses)? 

Including the mortgage payment on the rental as an expense or no? 

I’m having a hard time projecting how of what I currently put in taxable accounts could be going towards a solo 401k

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Re: Help me understand a self employed 401k
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 08:11:19 AM »
Rental income is not earned income unless you're a realtor or other real estate professional.

ETBen

• Bristles
    • I started a journal about single parenting and the new life towards FIRE
Re: Help me understand a self employed 401k
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 08:40:48 AM »
Rental income is not earned income unless you're a realtor or other real estate professional.

Thanks, confusion solved 😆