Author Topic: Help me get on right path  (Read 17302 times)

67z400

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Help me get on right path
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2017, 08:15:50 AM »
Your tenacity is impressive!  I am similar age and it is encouraging seeing your success.  Keep up the great work!

kd2008

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2017, 09:47:54 AM »
Your tenacity is impressive!  I am similar age and it is encouraging seeing your success.  Keep up the great work!

You are awfully kind to me with your words. Thank you. The people on this forum and the wonderful endeavors of they undertake continue to be a great inspiration for me.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 09:52:40 AM by kd2008 »

kd2008

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2018, 08:20:01 AM »
Alright, big update!

I was laid off mid-feb after megacorp shut down our office.

I have found a new job with a year old start up in the same city where I live. It is a (huge 33%) pay cut but I get to work in a dynamic environment. I am excited about it. Technically I get 1.5x PTO I had before. But with a start up environment I am expecting I won't be able to take it all.

I also got married to my beau!

Now I am looking at our combined FI. We are about 300K from where we would consider ourselves safe.

Working on it!

kd2008

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2018, 08:43:58 AM »
Update!

So my spouse and I achieved our lower end of FI. Stoked about that!

If we end up selling my condo then it will save us 4K in annual expenses and and add a small amount to our pile. Or we could rent it out and it may reduce our annual expenses by 7.6K.

We haven't made a call on it as there is a possibility that we may end up buying a little larger home. That will set us back by $165K or so (and another 4K in annual expenses due higher property taxes, insurance, utilities etc). I am reluctant on taking this kind of expense esp. when we don't need it. This expense will require us to work another 2.5 yrs to get back to our lower end of FI.

I am leaning to towards first waiting and seeing how the new job pans out for a year and then making a call on the larger home purchase.

I have been working out more - in the middle of the day without affecting work so far. This to me is invaluable flexibility. I am taking advantage of the increased vacation already - a 10 day Montreal vacation in Sept and 2 week India trip in Nov. The owners said they do not track vacation days, I can take even more than my allotment as long as I have made money for them. So far this has been the case. Small mercies. Thank God.

I am also moving away from "get to FI and quit" framing. I would like to get to do interesting work, learn new things, be creative, have a sense of balance - leisure, work, purpose in life, creativity as a major facet of personality etc. I am hoping this new job, extra vacation and having met FI number will engender it.

Even if I do not stop working, I would like my spouse to retire for good in 4 to 6 years, or earlier. If he stays home, I hoping I would be more free to pursue work and him take care of the house chore with me doing cooking and grocery shopping.

5 months ago I was in a real bad place having lost my job. But we have made the most of it and looking forward. I want to share this for those who may see a setback and wonder how it all may pan out.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2018, 12:43:38 PM »
That's great news! I think the most important thing about becoming FI is that you can basically do anything (well, most things) you want, including not retiring after all. Reaching this level of financial security just gives you so much options. You can do interesting work, or quit working, or travel, or care for family members, and once you're tired of what you're doing you can just pursue something else.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!