Author Topic: Group Text on Republic Wireless?  (Read 4617 times)

SpacemanSpiff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Group Text on Republic Wireless?
« on: May 30, 2015, 04:11:49 PM »
Had a Republic Wireless question that I think I found the answer for through some searching around on the internet, but wasn't sure if Ihad the correct understanding of what I found.

Essentially, I am looking to make sure that if I go with the Republic Wireless 3G plan (https://republicwireless.com/plans/), I will be able to participate in group texts with family members who use AT&T and Verizon smart phones (probably 2/3 iPhones, 1/3 other smart phones).

Looking at this section of the Republic Wireless community (see Unsupported MMS Providers: https://community.republicwireless.com/docs/DOC-1928#jive_content_id_Unsupported_MMS_Providers), my interpretation of this is that I shouldn't have a problem with group texts so long as I am not receiving group texts from any of the providers they specifically called out (US Cellular, Ting, Straight Talk, Cricket (AIO), TracFone, Net10, SafeLink, MetroPCS and Simple Mobile).

I guess it boils down to 2 questions:

1) Did I correctly infer above that I should be able to participate in Verizon/AT&T group messaging due to the information given at the link above?

2) Is there anyone on the forum who uses the 3G (or 4G) plan and can testify from personal experience that group messages from Verizon and AT&T users come through just fine?  Meaning not only can you read the group texts, but if someone else starts one, you can see who they included in the group text?

Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to respond!

Hoberto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Group Text on Republic Wireless?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 06:06:29 PM »
I get group texts from people with Verizon, ATT and Sprint.  Yes, I can see the list of people in the group.

I don't always get short codes. I haven't had it be an issue, since it's usually to reset a password.  In that case, I can just ask for a phone call. 

If you use txt services like weather updates or school closings they may not work.  There is a work around but I haven't tried it, no need for me.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 06:13:09 PM »
I have RW and miss out on a lot of group texts from family. I'm undecided if this is a bad thing ;(
I'm not sure what providers they have, though.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 06:13:46 PM »
I've never had a problem with group texting from friends with a variety of different carriers (couldn't tell you specifically which ones though).

SpacemanSpiff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 07:20:03 AM »
Thanks for the replies all - appreciate it!

One question though - when you say you don't get short codes, does that mean (a) you have trouble texting to things that use a short code, (b) there is a way for you to receive texts where others send it to a short code that doesn't always work for you, or (c) something else?

I don't always get short codes. I haven't had it be an issue, since it's usually to reset a password.  In that case, I can just ask for a phone call.

RockinLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 09:38:53 PM »
The main issue we've had with group texts is due to imessage and not republic wireless.  My family just needed to specify the message as text and not an imessage, and no issues now.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 09:43:20 PM »
Mines sort of buggy. I think the texts always come through ok but the pictures can be a little hit and miss. But I think its more because of the Android iPhone cross over than anything unique to Republic.