Author Topic: Got a Tesla Model 3 on reserve  (Read 8618 times)

Beef5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Got a Tesla Model 3 on reserve
« on: March 25, 2018, 09:17:04 AM »
Hi,

I've got a Tesla Model 3 on reserve, that I put down $1,000 to hold 2 years ago.

At that time, I was pretty sure I couldn't afford it, but I am a huge believer in Elon Musk and electric vehicles.  The $1,000 is completely refundable, so my only risk was not having that money to invest.

I'm waiting for the "Standard" $35k model, and hoping that the $7,500 Federal Tax rebate is still in place by the time I get my vehicle.

My invite to configure the car may be right around the corner.  I am feeling much more comfortable that I can afford this car, then I came across the MMM website and am understandably having second thoughts.

A little about me:  I'm 48, single, no kids, make $90K/year, max out my 401(k) and Roth IRA, and the only debt is my house (currently at $180k)  I'd be quite happy to retire at 55.

Obviously most mustachians would say a $35k new car is insane, but I feel very strongly about this car and have waited a long time.

Not sure if I want to be talked out or talked into this.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Got a Tesla Model 3 on reserve
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 09:28:39 AM »
You can buy a perfectly good new car for $14k and a perfectly good, low mileage used car for less than that.

Given those alternatives, spending 25% to 33% of your annual income on an asset that will lose value every single day makes no financial sense.

You know it.   We all know it.

Choices have consequences.    About $72,000 worth of consequences over the next 10 years.
That's what you stand to lose if you had invested that $20,000 difference in the market and invested $200 worth of insurance and auto tax savings a month for the next 10 years.  That's in today's dollars.  Then let that money set for another 10 years and you're talking about $142,000.

Is this car worth that much to you?

Livethedream

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 10:48:59 AM »
CHEVY BOLT

Not as sexy, ready now, great reviews. Willing to bet the 7500 for Tesla will be gone by the time they make it to producing the 35k models.

If your in CA and have certain utilities provider, BMW is offering an additional $10k off. That would give you $10k, 7.5k, and 2.5k off. Makes it around same price as bolt

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 10:57:22 AM »
I would suggest doing a case study.  If you are on track to retire at 55, and this is your "thing," then fine.  But you have to make sure your needs are covered before you start accumulating expensive wants.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 01:34:40 PM »
I would suggest doing a case study.  If you are on track to retire at 55, and this is your "thing," then fine.  But you have to make sure your needs are covered before you start accumulating expensive wants.
+1

If you are "asset thick", debt light, drive a lot of miles, and "this is your thing", maybe.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 05:18:08 AM »
Can you sell your reservation spot for a profit?

Lmoot

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 05:25:21 AM »
If you are ok with the risk and consequences of spending/tying up the money, and everything else is being taken care of, go for it. You didn’t try to play it off as a financially sound purchase, and you basically admit it’s an ideological (aka: not practical), purchase. If I had it, I’d probably spend $30-50k on renovations, so who am I to judge.

Although recent articles on the “affordable” Tesla indicate that $35k can quickly shoot up into the $50k’s with even just the smallest deviation from “standard”....so I’d say don’t fool yourself into thinking it’s a $35k car, until you come out of the “config” with an agreement to pay $35k.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 05:28:09 AM by Lmoot »

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 07:07:24 AM »
There aren't enough details in your post to determine if you can truly afford it.  You have retirement accounts but how much is in them now, how much will be in them at age 55 if you purchase the vehicle, and is 4% of that amount enough for you to live comfortably off of? Or do you have other sources of retirement income you are counting on (pension, SS after age 62, etc).  All that needs to be figured into your decision.

That said, I also have a Tesla 3 reservation.  I'm not interested in an electric econobox so no to the volt, bolt and leaf crowd.  I contemplated the new Jaguar electric car but when they finally came out with a price it was much higher than their original estimates, so no to that too. 

From what I can tell, my financial situation is similar to yours but I intend to retire at 60 with a pension and retirement accounts. My salary is a bit higher than yours as well (but the house debt is also larger).  So for me, the relevant factor isn't how much more money I'd have at retirement if I bought a used car or an econbox electric, but will it derail my current savings which are on pace to get me to the retirement I envision.   Ask yourself the same question and then decide if you can afford it.

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 11:26:48 AM »
I am not even close to being able to afford one of these. But I think they’re very cool and have watched videos and pretended to pick one out online.   I’d wonder if you could stick with the base model and really “only” spend 35k.  Now don’t quote me but isn’t that auto driving feature an extra 5 grand?  Any color other than black is extra I think.  Also that cool looking dashboard and the extra long moonroof is a premium package.  Just saying those are some pretty neat features I would want. 
Sorry not good with technical terms. 

I will say if I bought one I would still keep another car and I’d need to buy a shed, I have an oversized one car garage but wouldn’t want anything stored near my Tesla.  Lol. I’ve got a Scion xB and love having a hatchback, they’re awesome,  and I have dogs.  I have thought about this way too much. Lol.  I may be able to afford one when I’m older, would be nice to be driven around like that and lessen the risk of being an older driver.

But yeah do a case study.  These things are fascinating and I drool if I see one in person.  It would be awesome if you could afford it and enjoy it at the same time. 

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 01:00:54 PM »
That said, I also have a Tesla 3 reservation.  I'm not interested in an electric econobox so no to the volt, bolt and leaf crowd.  I contemplated the new Jaguar electric car but when they finally came out with a price it was much higher than their original estimates, so no to that too.

Same here, my wife has a reservation for a Tesla Model 3.  Though with all the delays, we are considering looking at other options.

I suggested the Bolt and she looked at me like I was crazy if I thought she was going to drive that ugly thing. :)

Might end up going with an old fashioned ICE vehicle.

clutchy

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 01:17:37 PM »

Same here, my wife has a reservation for a Tesla Model 3.  Though with all the delays, we are considering looking at other options.

I suggested the Bolt and she looked at me like I was crazy if I thought she was going to drive that ugly thing. :)

I gave mine up and bought a bmw i3 last October. 

It's a great car, ugly but that kinda gets forgotten once you've driven it.   

I feel bad as I could afford the model 3 and generally believe in tesla but I wanted AWD so it was going to be a wait.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 02:20:43 PM »

Yep. Thought about another ICE too as my current 2008 vehicle will need 3-4K in repairs sometime in the near future.  But I just can't bring myself to look at those anymore. Right now it's a waiting game to see if I can get my Tesla before I have to replace the control arms in my current vehicle. Oh, and high five your wife for me. Style matters.

Trying2bFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 08:03:42 AM »
If you just need to save earth on electric cars, then Tesla isn't the right company.
Get it, if you are passionate about it.

Since you posted it, seems like you are having debate on your passion/desire vs value.

ClovisKid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 03:39:56 PM »
Unless you were really early to get on the list, I think you can postpone the decision until such time as your number is called.  By that time, Tesla may no longer be eligible for the $7,500 incentive as a manufacturer (or it will phase out to a lower number).  They still have a lot of premium Model 3s to build and sell and they always prioritize the premium models, the existing Model S and X owners who also want a Model 3, and the employees.

Used Model 3s will already factor in the $7,500 rebate price, so that would be the less-anti-Mustachian move...

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 03:54:42 PM »
It looks like the Model 3's are finally starting to be produced at a decent rate, but it's far too little.

Unless a bunch of folks dump their reservation, we are probably not getting anything until well into next year.

Beef5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 06:09:34 PM »
@Dragonswan @libertarian4321 Glad to know you also have a reservation!  I assume you're both waiting for the $35k model like me.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2018, 07:57:40 PM »
Tesla’s are status symbol things now, just things that let one puff the chest and pat one’s own back. If one is feeling inadequate, sure, I guess. There are cheaper ways to have an electric car if the environment is your real concern.

Sorinth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2018, 09:14:56 PM »
I would suggest running the numbers to find out when you will become FI for both scenarios. Once you know how many months/years longer you will have to work to afford the Tesla you can make a more informed decisions on whether it's worth it to you.

That said I wouldn't count too much on that 35K price tag since there will be options that you probably want. Once you can configure it, you'll get a better idea on the real price.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2018, 10:04:32 AM »
@Dragonswan @libertarian4321 Glad to know you also have a reservation!  I assume you're both waiting for the $35k model like me.
Yep.  I can technically "afford" a model S, but not without derailing my savings for a down payment on the house I intend to buy in my retirement city.  So I'll make do with the Model 3 and upgrade to about 50K.  That's my sweet spot.  I'm hoping by the time my name comes up I'll be able to get at least half the fed credit/rebate.  That'll take care of the sales tax.

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2018, 10:21:49 AM »
I have a reservation and the original plan was to get the $35k when I signed up. But since then they announced that having the 225 range and autopilot will put it north of $45k and it is still unknown on whether or not the the rebate will still be there. I've also since bought a house with a single lane driveway/car port which will make a plug-in impractical and I've also found MMM, so I don't think I will put the trigger. Still holding off the refund because I can't let go of the dream of driving to work in an autopilot Tesla.

Should I have any worry about not getting my deposit back?

ClovisKid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2018, 04:33:09 PM »
Should I have any worry about not getting my deposit back?

I wouldn't.  Tesla would have a P.R. nightmare on its hands if it didn't do everything possible to refund Model 3 deposits upon request... and they do everything possible to avoid even brief P.R. night sweats.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2018, 04:55:05 PM »
If you want an electric car (and it makes sense as a second commuter vehicle), buy a used Leaf.  You can get them for a song and dance anymore.

If you really want an electric car and are limited to one car and need longer range, buy a used Volt.  They've got a useful bit of electric range, and can run long distances on our current infrastructure.

If you want to be a beta tester of a company that's worse than Google about "Beta products forced on buyers," never really "own" your car (you're the mere title holder), and get friendly with whatever the nearest Service Center is (hopefully not that far away), and pay through the nose for the privilege, absolutely, buy the Tesla Model 3.  And it'll be delivered sometime in the indefinite future, like everything else Tesla announces.

OP: You don't sound like you're committed to it through thick and thin, so consider this a "No, you should not buy the 3" opinion. :)

Sorinth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2018, 06:14:27 PM »
If you want an electric car (and it makes sense as a second commuter vehicle), buy a used Leaf.  You can get them for a song and dance anymore.

If you really want an electric car and are limited to one car and need longer range, buy a used Volt.  They've got a useful bit of electric range, and can run long distances on our current infrastructure.

If you want to be a beta tester of a company that's worse than Google about "Beta products forced on buyers," never really "own" your car (you're the mere title holder), and get friendly with whatever the nearest Service Center is (hopefully not that far away), and pay through the nose for the privilege, absolutely, buy the Tesla Model 3.  And it'll be delivered sometime in the indefinite future, like everything else Tesla announces.

OP: You don't sound like you're committed to it through thick and thin, so consider this a "No, you should not buy the 3" opinion. :)

Where is this coming from? Maintenance on a Tesla is actually a selling point, it's much cheaper then an ICE car.

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/09/05/10492-tesla-model-s-maintenance-charging-costs-300000-miles/

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2018, 09:15:14 PM »
Where is this coming from? Maintenance on a Tesla is actually a selling point, it's much cheaper then an ICE car.

Friends of mine who own Teslas and have pointed out that a perk of ownership is all the great C level execs you meet in the Service Center.

The on-paper maintenance costs are low, but the actual in service reliability of the cars as a whole are fairly poor (to be fair, a lot of that is the idiotic falcon wing doors on the X), and you literally only have one option - the Service Center.  You can't get third party work done, and can't do most of it yourself.

You're paying new car/dealership maintenance rates forever, even as the car gets older and worth less (and for other cars, would involve aftermarket parts/shops or doing the work yourself).

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2018, 10:12:00 AM »
Say it with me: a car is a car is a car.

$35k is a lie. It's $43k to get the fully automated capability which is the only reason to get a Tesla and the "fully automated" isn't really there yet.

As much as I'd love to have one, it's still way too soon. I hate to say it but there are better options for electric at the moment if you must have it. Still no point in having over $10k in a depreciating asset though.

Sorinth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2018, 06:03:36 PM »

Friends of mine who own Teslas and have pointed out that a perk of ownership is all the great C level execs you meet in the Service Center.

The on-paper maintenance costs are low, but the actual in service reliability of the cars as a whole are fairly poor (to be fair, a lot of that is the idiotic falcon wing doors on the X), and you literally only have one option - the Service Center.  You can't get third party work done, and can't do most of it yourself.

You're paying new car/dealership maintenance rates forever, even as the car gets older and worth less (and for other cars, would involve aftermarket parts/shops or doing the work yourself).

That hasn't been my experience (Model S not X), and looking quickly around with google it seems most people haven't had many issues or spent a lot of time in the shop so I don't think it's just theory. Year to year the costs of a Tesla is going to be much less then other ICE cars, probably not enough to justify it in purely financial terms but someone should weigh the total cost of ownership over the lifetime of the car so less maintenance, electricity price vs gas price, insurance, etc...

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2018, 06:49:04 PM »
...but someone should weigh the total cost of ownership over the lifetime of the car so less maintenance, electricity price vs gas price, insurance, etc...

And this being the MMM forum, how does a new Model 3 pencil out compared to a used Leaf/Volt/Fit/Mazda 3/etc?

Yeah.  Thought so.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2018, 08:17:51 PM »
My old boss had the expensive sedan.

He loved that thing. Said it was so reliable, blah blah.

Yah not so much. It's whole engine had to be replaced once. Another time the door handle wouldn't pop out so you couldn't get in that door from the outside.

He was happy because it was under warranty so Tesla would  do the maintenance for free. But I assume a lot of the reason he thought itwasso great was that many people who buy 100k+ cars are loath to admit they are actually not worth 100k.

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2018, 05:06:59 AM »
Tesla are a bit of a joke when it comes to actually producing.

Sorinth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2018, 06:47:39 PM »
...but someone should weigh the total cost of ownership over the lifetime of the car so less maintenance, electricity price vs gas price, insurance, etc...

And this being the MMM forum, how does a new Model 3 pencil out compared to a used Leaf/Volt/Fit/Mazda 3/etc?

Yeah.  Thought so.

Like I said I doubt it's the best option from a purely financial POV. The OP needs to figure out the total cost, compare it to his other options and then he can make an informed decision on whether it's worth it to him.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2018, 03:42:31 AM »

Ours is for my wife.  She's looking basically at a commuter car, so she doesn't need the extra range, and prefers the smaller battery $35k version.

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2018, 02:32:44 PM »
Hi,

I've got a Tesla Model 3 on reserve, that I put down $1,000 to hold 2 years ago.

At that time, I was pretty sure I couldn't afford it, but I am a huge believer in Elon Musk and electric vehicles.  The $1,000 is completely refundable, so my only risk was not having that money to invest.

I'm waiting for the "Standard" $35k model, and hoping that the $7,500 Federal Tax rebate is still in place by the time I get my vehicle.

My invite to configure the car may be right around the corner.  I am feeling much more comfortable that I can afford this car, then I came across the MMM website and am understandably having second thoughts.

A little about me:  I'm 48, single, no kids, make $90K/year, max out my 401(k) and Roth IRA, and the only debt is my house (currently at $180k)  I'd be quite happy to retire at 55.

Obviously most mustachians would say a $35k new car is insane, but I feel very strongly about this car and have waited a long time.

Not sure if I want to be talked out or talked into this.

It makes people feel good, buying an electric car.  But almost all electricity still comes from coal.  And the manufacturing cost (carbon) of the cars are still high.  All you’re really doing is supporting consumerism. 

One of the root causes of the energy crisis is consumerism. Another cause is over population.  Typically, rich people (americans) contribute to the former, and poor people contribute to the latter (generally; always there are exceptions).  Education is a potential solution to all of it.

csprof

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2018, 05:53:32 PM »
It's more complicated than that. Whether or not a fully electric or plug-in hybrid is better (carbon-wise) than a normal Prius depends greatly on where you live:

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/11/4/044007

In California, for example, there's so much clean electricity that it's often the best choice. In other areas where coal dominates, you're better off with a Prius.

Obviously, it's better to use less car, period. But if you drive a lot of miles and live in a place with a better clean energy mix, a PHEV or BEV is a good choice. (plug in hybrid electric vehicle or battery electric vehicle).

There's a nice map in the paper I linked.

Sorinth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2018, 06:38:20 PM »
It makes people feel good, buying an electric car.  But almost all electricity still comes from coal.  And the manufacturing cost (carbon) of the cars are still high.  All you’re really doing is supporting consumerism. 

One of the root causes of the energy crisis is consumerism. Another cause is over population.  Typically, rich people (americans) contribute to the former, and poor people contribute to the latter (generally; always there are exceptions).  Education is a potential solution to all of it.

This is highly dependent on where you live.

Where I live 97% of electricity is generated through renewable energy (Mostly Hydro).

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2018, 06:54:05 PM »
It's more complicated than that. Whether or not a fully electric or plug-in hybrid is better (carbon-wise) than a normal Prius depends greatly on where you live:

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/11/4/044007

In California, for example, there's so much clean electricity that it's often the best choice. In other areas where coal dominates, you're better off with a Prius.

Obviously, it's better to use less car, period. But if you drive a lot of miles and live in a place with a better clean energy mix, a PHEV or BEV is a good choice. (plug in hybrid electric vehicle or battery electric vehicle).

There's a nice map in the paper I linked.

That’s a very thought provoking article, thanks for the link!

I will need to dig into the SI to better understand how they derive the manufacturing cost component, but yes, how much one drives should dramatically effect the result.  E.g. if you drive very little then getting a new vehicle manufactured for you is a heavy carbon cost.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2018, 10:53:38 AM »
It's a two-pronged approach.  Get people to convert to electric cars while at the same time developing clean energy sources to power them.  Change doesn't happen over night and there have to be early adopters and beta testers so the rest of the population is ready when we get there.  Now, that doesn't justify a Tesla over other more economical electric cars, but it's still a good compromise.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2018, 11:50:43 AM »

This is highly dependent on where you live.

Where I live 97% of electricity is generated through renewable energy (Mostly Hydro).

Once upon a time someone pointed out to me that an EV can go further on the electricity used to refine a barrel of gasoline than the gasoline will take the ICE car. Another angle: electricity consumed by a gas station and convenience store just sitting there waiting for ICE cars to come fill up and maybe buy a snack. And a further consideration: the energy consumed transporting crude oil, refining gasoline and then distributing gasoline.

As I recall the EV is six to eight times more efficient than the ICE car.   
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 11:52:19 AM by Just Joe »

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2018, 12:05:22 PM »
Once upon a time someone pointed out to me that an EV can go further on the electricity used to refine a barrel of gasoline than the gasoline will take the ICE car.

And that particular "fact" mistakes thermal input energy and electrical energy input.  The most recent data we have on refinery electrical use indicates that's comically false, and they've gotten more efficient since then.

As I recall the EV is six to eight times more efficient than the ICE car.

That depends on how you measure, but, yes, they are a good bit more energy efficient if you compare kWh thermal to kWh electrical.  If you add in the power plants, they usually come out ahead, but not nearly as far.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2018, 01:07:37 PM »
https://greentransportation.info/energy-transportation/gasoline-costs-6kwh.html

I think that is making the same statement. I'll leave it up to the chemical engineers to argue it out.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2018, 01:51:08 PM »
Yes, that's a reasonable page discussing the claim from various sides.

Of course, EVs have a lot more embodied energy than a typical gasser.  I did some math a few years back and concluded you could ride an ebike for a lifetime on the energy required to create a single Tesla 90kWh battery pack.

https://syonyk.blogspot.com/2015/11/how-far-can-you-ride-electric-bike-on.html

This is part of why I'm seriously in favor of the series hybrid/plug in hybrids/whatever-you-want-to-call-the-Volt.  You get far better utilization on batteries than you do in a pure electric, and still have infinite useful range on our current infrastructure.

A single 100kWh Tesla pack can provide the cells for almost 5 Volts, and with a 30-40 mile useful range on electric, the Volts are a far better utilization of those cells, and will reduce gasoline use far more than a single $100k luxury car will.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2018, 08:33:21 AM »
Well, once I finally got a look at the model 3 interior, I decided I didn't like the direction Elon went with it.  So I cancelled my reservation and bought a used Model S.  (Still waiting for delivery).  It's going to run me just under 50K for a 2015 (taxes and fees included).

OP, what did you finally decide to do now that all reservation holders can order?

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2018, 09:26:53 AM »
Cool. $50k car purchase. I guess.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2018, 01:00:12 PM »
I know.  But I never claimed to be Mustachian, just LBYM.  I'm gonna work till I'm 60 (golden pension in 2025) whether I buy the Tesla or the Volt, and still max out the retirement account, so might as well get what I want.

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2018, 07:33:06 PM »
hopefully it works out, I've heard lots of stories about various maintenance issues and really long service times if you get into a minor fender bender.  Basically there are only a few places that can do service and Tesla is bad at shipping replacement parts (like body panels or windshields). 

if you google "tesla long wait time for service", you'll see these discussions of these issues.
https://www.google.com/search?ei=cviiW-e0CpPq9APYxoqQAg&q=tesla+long+wait+time+for+service&oq=tesla+long+wait+time+for+service