Author Topic: good, cheap, non-toxic degreaser?  (Read 2358 times)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
good, cheap, non-toxic degreaser?
« on: May 30, 2018, 06:43:40 AM »
I'm going to have a crap-ton of old labels to remove and I'm looking for a good, cheap and NON TOXIC degreaser to replace the Goof Off® stuff I've been using-- preferably a citrus oil based.
Unfortunately Amazon often fails to list ingredients on the myriad of products that come up.  Thought ZEP's citrus degreaser might work but a glance at the label shows its mostly a citrus-scented, petrol-based cleaner.
Recommendations?

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
Re: good, cheap, non-toxic degreaser?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 07:48:07 AM »
this is what I use. It takes a little more effort, but it works

https://www.earlybirdmom.com/homemade-goo-gone/

Wayward

• Stubble
  • Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 09:07:51 AM »
think i'll give both of those a try - I already have the ingredients in my pantry.  Hopefully one or both work as well as goof-off/Goo Gone.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 09:09:58 AM »
Lemon essential oil is what my wife uses and it works almost as well as Goof-off

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 10:24:22 AM »
I typically use some combination of soaking, rubbing alcohol (91%) and scrubbing with baking soda to remove paper labels from glass jars...depending on the material and adhesive involved, that may or may not work for you...also not clear if you'd consider isopropanol too toxic.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 12:05:07 AM »
Well, coco cola is a great degreaser, but I usually use nail polish remover for labels. Plain old olive oil would probably help as well, since the sticky issue is all about the glue not being water soluble.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 07:07:41 AM »
PBW (powdered brewery wash) is fantastic at removing labels and is very safe. Just mix in water, let soak overnight and bam the stuff is gone. Rinses with water, and is food safe with just rinsing. Home brew stores carry it, also sold online.

For degreasing, PBW should work, but Simple Green is another relatively benign option.

SamuelR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 03:31:51 AM »
Krud Kutter my new best non toxic cleaning friend (find a review on it here)! I really recommend you try it if you have a tough job. Just a little tip for the future, clean on a regular basis and you wont need to scrub to the point where you remove the varnish, in turn making unnecessary hard work for yourself.