Author Topic: Girlfriend (Ex) Expect(ed) Subsidies  (Read 11533 times)

SilveradoBojangles

• Bristles
Re: Girlfriend (Ex) Expect(ed) Subsidies
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2018, 02:54:48 PM »
I guess it comes down to feeling like that is how a man shows me I am valued. Maybe that is shallow but I think it is a pretty deeply ingrained thing.  Probably goes back to that 5 languages of love theory. 

I think your point about this being a love languages thing is true. I have my own money, so buying me something is not how a man makes me feel valued. Putting a ton of thought or effort into planning something unique, something that shows that he's been listening to what I like and am interested in, would knock my socks off. There's a reason I didn't marry the richest boyfriend I had - he gave the most expensive gifts but not necessarily the best ones.

Also, if you feel like your appearance is the primary thing you are bringing to the relationship (the thing that makes you a catch), what does that mean as you grow older? That sounds hard.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2018, 03:01:55 PM »
I think you were blinded by her physical beauty, OP.

I've been in your shoes. Sometimes the looks just do something for you and you later realize...oh...she's hot but she does recreational illegal activities and she has an interesting dating/school/family history...whoops...not my thing...better bail. In your case, you stuck around.

I won't say "go look for a better girl," I'll actually say work on yourself, OP. Hit the gym, save some money, and do things that you enjoy. You'll find a partner who is into those same things and that respects you, unlike this one. People like her are always looking for the next best thing because they're only in it for themselves.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2018, 04:04:18 PM »
If a SO was immature enough to throw tantrums about wanting money, then I would be immature enough to send this in response.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2018, 04:40:53 PM »
As a quick note on the practicalities of splitting date costs: ask or bring it up before going to the place, don't spring it on her at the place.  When I had a lot less money, the answer to 'Want to go on a date to that nice sushi place' would be a lot different depending on if we were splitting or not.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2018, 05:29:55 PM »
I love the responses so far. Very insightful.

She fails the 4 questions posted earlier, that seems a solid indicator to tell early on, as well as seeing if she offers to pay her share early on. I'd find it stressful to have her be fun but then feel that expectation of me paying.

How to bring this up? Clrearly by the second date if she hasn't already offered to pay. Before ordering, saying something like: "I value mine and my partner's independence. I respect women enough to believe in equality so I pay for what I get and you pay for what you get."

Very new to me and scared girls will run upon hearing that but I trust the value of human connection to extend deeper than money.

We dated 3.5 months before living together. There were some red flags but I looked over them since we had a really good time together when she wasn't having her tantrums.

We lived together except for 1 month when she had her daughter come into town and then I got a separate place and actually took care of her room as well so she could have more space for her kid.

Both mid 20's. I've actually enjoyed my relationships with women in their 30's the most but they tend to have different timelines.

I meet girls everywhere but I've tended to go for the ones I've found the most gorgeous, these are likely a mix of naturally beautiful with proper make up to amplify it. I think some online dating would help filter so I not only get the looks but also the internal beauty as well.

She is definitely obsessed with her looks. Goes to salon for shampoo. Buys $100's of cosmetics each month. It gets annoying sometimes as she actually looks better with less make up. I got her to track her spending via Excel but she got off the band wagon in less than a month. She wants to save for her own business but she's fine trying to get me to pay $3 for a tea she could get for under $1 if she walked down the street for 5 minutes. So her actions don't align with her hopes.

She actually was already self-supporting when I met her but has a jaded view on men. She thinks gender defines who pays but says she believes in equality. Too many humans put up with this for a pretty smile and it's trained her to accept that as reality. I've heard plenty of stories of men having women pay their way but I'm clear that equality is what I'm seeking.

The not paying anybody's bills piece is something I really want to stick to. I found it frustrating that she wanted to travel across the country by plane and wanted me to pay her way. It didn't happen. I recommended the bus as it was much cheaper and she'd have her classic fit.

But what the hell is it that attracts me to her? Looks is a big piece but there's something else and I've been trying to figure out for most of the time I've known her. I know I can find a pretty girl who's far healthier psychologically so I'm trying to figure out what am I blind to in my situation. Our values are obviously misaligned.

My spending is less than hers. I spend less on food, I find cheaper rooms, I go without more often than her.
If a man said that to me, there would not be another date.  And I am the more frugal of my husband and I.  You come off badly.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2018, 05:45:34 PM »
IIRC I paid for most meals when I was dating my wife.  After we were married she got a job paying $250,000 a year which paid for everything.

I got off pretty cheap!

NewPerspective

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2018, 06:32:53 PM »
I guess it comes down to feeling like that is how a man shows me I am valued. Maybe that is shallow but I think it is a pretty deeply ingrained thing.  Probably goes back to that 5 languages of love theory. 

I think your point about this being a love languages thing is true. I have my own money, so buying me something is not how a man makes me feel valued. Putting a ton of thought or effort into planning something unique, something that shows that he's been listening to what I like and am interested in, would knock my socks off. There's a reason I didn't marry the richest boyfriend I had - he gave the most expensive gifts but not necessarily the best ones.

Also, if you feel like your appearance is the primary thing you are bringing to the relationship (the thing that makes you a catch), what does that mean as you grow older? That sounds hard.

After 17 years together, I am exhausted.  :-)  Seriously though, I knew better than to type something like that in an online forum.  It just doesn't translate well into a meaningful conversation with no additional context.  It is hard to provide more context without writing a book.

My point was just that sometimes I think the advice given can be very short sighted and harsh towards women when it comes to this topic.   The truth is there are some women who would be put off by a guy that insisted on splitting the check in the beginning and that doesn't necessarily make her a user, a gold digger, a mooch, etc.  But with that said she needs to be bringing something to the table (aside from a pretty face).  A willingness to plan a date, buy a thoughtful gift, cook dinner, insist of evenings in or free/cheap dates, be a good listener, etc.   

For what it's worth my husband wasn't rich when we started dating.  Also, we do not exchange gifts now and haven't in years.  People and relationships evolve. He would tell you I am beautiful but he would also say that is very low on the list of what he most values about me (that would be sex.  KIDDING!!! :-)).

Slowtraveler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2018, 02:51:58 AM »
I've been told I'm frugal by every girlfriend as instead of restaurant dinners or bars, I plan hiking dates, cooking, massages, reflective listening, write origami letters as gifts, teaching/learning from each other, that type of thing. I rarely ate out in the west but here it seems more cost effective due to economy of scale when you find the right vendors.

@remizidae
I tend to date women who are lower-income than me but frugal by US standards.

The rent idea came into play when moving in together. I make more than her so it made sense at the time. I only had an extra room for 1 month. Also, rooms here cost $100-300 before utilities.

Pc people-skip this post, all of it.
@Hirondelle
Thanks for actually reading all the way through. She is. Your post lumps most of humanity into one cateogry of Asian but one peculiarity I have noticed is that white men tend to pay for Thai girls and Thai girls tend to pay for Thai men. I've seen this in multiple relationships and even the concept of little husband (pays/is second), big husband (lazes/is first), little wife (second), big wife (first/often mother) exist here. I've seen many Thai girls swear off Thai men for the reasons of lower levels of infidelity and "taking better care".

@chasesfish
I've never dated a woman who owned a fancy car, consistently died hair color, or fancy handbags. Most use make up but I never actually noticed how long make up takes until living together

@Mini-Mer
Different culture. I never experienced this in the west and I live in an Asian country that has never been colonized. I don't understand the language beyond functional conversation yet, even the alphabet isn't used here. The norms here are different and I'm still adapting to them but a simple no when a boundary gets pushed will save a huge amount of headache later. My first long term relationship here so I'm learning a lot. I hear it's a bit different in coutnries that were previously colonized and English is more prevalent there.

@CNM
I misphrased that and I appreciate your clarification. Looks aren't all that's important. There's some overlap in our interests and I have a lot of fun with her most of the time. I've let go of more physically attractive partneres because their personality was more dull and there was next to no common interests.

@2Birds1Stone
I see it all the time. It's prevalent in USA with 10% of kids having a different father than they expect, it just happens under the context of deception in the Protestant model. The Muslim and Mormon model seem to integrate the concept. I admire bonobos as they make huge amounts of love and have no documented case of war or murder.

@J Boogie
I've had this experience before but it was a decade ago and I wasn't of age yet to live with someone independently. I'm not sure how to see who invests tons of money into appearance as people like to be good at hiding this, make it look effortless.

Her family talks about how much she's calmed down since meeting me so I feel I've helped her heal and love more deeply.

@patchyfacialhair
I think so too. But she can be sweet enough to give diabetes at times. If it was only looks, I'd have been bored within a week. No drugs, thankfully.

I'm actually feeling stagnant here. I'm feeling excited when I think about moving to a city with more nature within walking distance to hike often, more English speakers to better converse and have deeper conversation, more varied groups of people.

@tralfamadorian
She has her own job.

@letired
I'm okay paying a few bucks for delicious street food for the first date or 2. I plan on saying "For next time, do you like to split the tab or take turns paying on dates?"

Conveys the message clearly and warmly.

@NewPerspective
There's no right or wrong way to do things. You won't get judgement from me and your input helps me better understand a common perspective in humanity. While many responses here are thoughtful and offer very good advice to shift my paradigm, it's unfortunate that there's a few responses from people who don't consider that the context is likely different than the image painted in their heads.

I think culture plays into it a huge amount but I've never had a girlfriend complain about me paying or insist on paying herself. I've dated women from 5 continents so it seems relatively common. This is simply the first one that became insistent upon me covering her every caloric desire and that became a boundary I felt important to define.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 03:00:20 AM by Slowtraveler »

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2018, 04:38:53 AM »
When I lived in Siem Reap, I made a Khmer friend. She was bubbly, sweet, very intelligent and resourceful, conversant in three languages, the girlfriend of a Canadian acquaintance. She lived with her family in a wooden house at the edge of town, was attracted to the western lifestyle that had started growing exponentially in her town (2005). She'd drive me around town on her motorbike (gift from former boyfriend, a British journalist from the BBC), we'd visit the silk farm to do textile research. She was helpful and kind and I was  happy to return the favor: set up a blog when she expressed curiosity about writing online, printed photos, etc. I didn't know then that being linked romantically with a western man there, and in most other SE Asian towns, meant a woman's reputation had already been or was in the process of being ruined.

She saw me go to one of the foreign bars in town with Taiwanese friends, and wanted to come along. It was run by a French guy, was laid back with a nice clientele. So I invited her one night. She played pool with a handful of French guys, and ended up exchanging numbers with one - an older guy, very kind and polite. He'd come to town to manage one of the posh new boutique [very exclusive, not your typical 'boutique' SE Asian] hotels being built.

Weeks later, the Canadian called me a bitch to my face (still did behind my back years later) and said I'd helped hand off his girlfriend to the French guy - a much better prospect than the Canadian teacher. "Good SE Asian girls don't go to western bars!" he fumed. "Didn't you know this?! Also, she was trawling the web for men from the site you helped her build." He was right. She'd become an important breadwinner for the family, and since she'd not finished high school, dating western men was really her only option.

Not sure whether you're in Chiang Mai or somewhere smaller. But the culture in smaller Thai towns is similar. Yes, the fact that you earn a lot more than she does and consume expensive food she might not normally and additionally there will likely be pressure she's getting from her family to have you help out.....it's a good thing you got out early.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2018, 06:08:32 AM »
Expatartist - wow what a story. 

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2018, 06:56:51 AM »
It sounds like OP's ex-GF has more employment options than my friend did, but there are fundamental similarities. I've not had a relationship with a woman from SE Asia (being a straight female) but have lived and researched in parts of the region for 15 years.

Thailand may not strictly have been colonized, but the French and British took large swathes of Thai territory, and Thailand has the same worship of pale skin and affinity for western culture you see in its formerly colonized neighbors.

NewPerspective

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2018, 09:54:18 AM »

@NewPerspective
There's no right or wrong way to do things. You won't get judgement from me and your input helps me better understand a common perspective in humanity. While many responses here are thoughtful and offer very good advice to shift my paradigm, it's unfortunate that there's a few responses from people who don't consider that the context is likely different than the image painted in their heads.

I think culture plays into it a huge amount but I've never had a girlfriend complain about me paying or insist on paying herself. I've dated women from 5 continents so it seems relatively common. This is simply the first one that became insistent upon me covering her every caloric desire and that became a boundary I felt important to define.

Eh, it's the nature of internet conversations right? It is my fault for not doing a great job of explaining myself or giving context (but really, who wants to read a wall of text?).   

A quick note about the appearance aspect.  I only bring it up because it seems every time a variation of this question is posted people (men?) seem to comment on the need to date women who are "low maintenance".  That is fine of course but I just hate the old trope of a certain type of woman as looking for a meal ticket. 

Good luck to you on your future relationships!  I think a huge part of it is defining and knowing your own boundaries.  My first "real" boyfriend was older than me, couldn't keep a job to save his life, lived in a literal shack, no car and no ambition.   I paid for absolutely everything, including groceries and emergency dental visits for him.  This was when I was in high school!, working as a cashier at Wal Mart and paying for my own car (financed as you do when you are 17 with absolutely zero financial acumen), gas and insurance.  After a couple of years, I finally wised up (ok, ok, he also cheated on me - slow learner here), I'm sure glad I didn't end up marrying him!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2018, 04:00:52 PM »
I'm a single female with a lot of guy friends, and sometimes I get to hang out with some of them more often than others.  As we are just friends, maybe it comes up easier, but when we go do something like go out to eat, I'll ask if they want me to pay half and have been told no every single time (for the record, I make exactly the same wage as they do, so there is no wage disparity to consider.)  So, I'll usually grab the tip if they'll let me, or I'll just announce that I'll just "owe them a beer/lunch/whatever" next time we get together.  Other than one guy, who is much older with grown kids (while I was still raising my son), we naturally fell into an every-other-time pay setup.  Sometimes it's been a long time since we've hung out, and we'll forget whose turn it is, but it works out well all the way around.  The one exception pays almost every time, but I'll get the tip, or I'll pay when he gets up to use the bathroom or something-- it's pretty much become a game between us.

It really doesn't have to be made awkward or demanding.  Of course, the fact that I offer probably helps with that, I'm not sure how it would be if I didn't jump in and just passively "forced" the other person to feel they had to pay every time.

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2018, 12:42:27 PM »
If there’s a substantial income difference, and the one with the higher income pays more simply as a way they can still enjoy more activities it’s not as bad. Imagine if one person made 500k and the other made 35k. Their activities would be limited to what the person making 35k could afford.

Of course, this may be totally fine. However, the person making more might also find it worthwhile to help cover the differences for some activities that the lower income person otherwise couldn’t afford.

Personally, with my career, it doesn’t make sense to us for my wife to work, even though I’m only 30, and her 24, with no kids. If she was to work, she likely would make about 1/10 what I do. Instead, she has time to do EVERYTHING. I haven’t done laundry or cooked a meal in years. She does everything, all stands, chores, etc., while I’m at work. In turn, basically all my time spent not working, we get to do things we enjoy. She’s very very good at these things too. She can sew and is handy. She completely replaced our toilet on her own.

She was 18 when we started dating, and kind of just fell into this role. She does teach spin classes at the gym and has had some jobs, but it’s typically not worthwhile for us.

All that aside, she is one of the most appreciative and low maintenance women I have ever met. She is naturally 10x more mustachian than me.

Prior to her, I couldn’t count how many women I dated that couldn’t muster up so much as a thank you after I’d take them out to dinner.

I love our situation, but it’s not for everyone, and she is a very impressive woman with an amazing demeanor that makes everything work so well.

js82

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2018, 07:42:34 PM »
This kind of situation is very, very common in China, as well.  Right down to the pouting/tantrums as a way of forcing the relationship on.  It is actually quite hard  for many expat men who want to develop deeper/more equitable relationships because more established/professional local women and expat women alike think most Western guys want the stereotype.  And once you have had a couple of those kinds of relationships, you have kind of dug yourself into a rut.

If you do move to a larger city, be careful about who you associate with in the early days and be VERY wary about who you date.  It doesn't actually take that long to find out which hangouts are preferred by the players/losers.  Stay away from those, and bars/clubs in general.  Since you are interested in outdoor activities, science, etc try to cultivate most of your early friendships with people who share those interests and hobbies.  If you can befriend some longer-term expats who know where the problem spots/who the problem people are, that can help.  You don't want to believe all the gossip, obviously, but usually in any community there are some people you want to stay away from and someone who has been there awhile will be able to point them out (though they may not say much early on as they are trying to figure out if you are a quality person or not).

Ah, expat life --never a dull moment!

This is very, very good advice.  Speaking from my own experiences in China ~8-12 years ago, there are good people out there... it just requires a bit of patience(and looking in the right places/applying the right filters) to meet them.  I had the experience of meeting the wrong sort of person (she ordered a bottle of the most expensive alcohol the restaurant had... on the 2nd date - needless to say there was no 3rd!), as well as some very smart, kind, interesting individuals.

Proposing things related to your own interests(hiking etc.) is a good start.  For the two relationships I had while overseas in my mid/late 20's, most of our dates were things like hiking, parks, museums, etc.  By choosing things that were aligned with my own interests, it also had the effect of attracting (potential) partners with similar interests, and steering away individuals who were primarily interested in finding someone to foot the bill.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2018, 03:31:00 AM »
If there’s a substantial income difference, and the one with the higher income pays more simply as a way they can still enjoy more activities it’s not as bad. Imagine if one person made 500k and the other made 35k. Their activities would be limited to what the person making 35k could afford.

Of course, this may be totally fine. However, the person making more might also find it worthwhile to help cover the differences for some activities that the lower income person otherwise couldn’t afford.

Personally, with my career, it doesn’t make sense to us for my wife to work, even though I’m only 30, and her 24, with no kids. If she was to work, she likely would make about 1/10 what I do. Instead, she has time to do EVERYTHING. I haven’t done laundry or cooked a meal in years. She does everything, all stands, chores, etc., while I’m at work. In turn, basically all my time spent not working, we get to do things we enjoy. She’s very very good at these things too. She can sew and is handy. She completely replaced our toilet on her own.

She was 18 when we started dating, and kind of just fell into this role. She does teach spin classes at the gym and has had some jobs, but it’s typically not worthwhile for us.

All that aside, she is one of the most appreciative and low maintenance women I have ever met. She is naturally 10x more mustachian than me.

Prior to her, I couldn’t count how many women I dated that couldn’t muster up so much as a thank you after I’d take them out to dinner.

I love our situation, but it’s not for everyone, and she is a very impressive woman with an amazing demeanor that makes everything work so well.

A major problem of situations like this is a potential break up though. If your wife really has never had a "real" job it will be extremely hard for her to get into something in 10+ years considering she has very limited work experience. Many SAHM suffer from this after a divorce when they've been out of work for many years. Now your wife seems to work at least some jobs to keep working history up, so I hope she'll be fine either way (and hopefully you guys won't break up in the first place!). However, I am often very concerned about the number of young women I meet that even before kids say the "don't have to work more than 3 days or go for a career because boyfriend/husband earns enough".

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2018, 03:56:45 AM »

A major problem of situations like this is a potential break up though. If your wife really has never had a "real" job it will be extremely hard for her to get into something in 10+ years considering she has very limited work experience. Many SAHM suffer from this after a divorce when they've been out of work for many years. Now your wife seems to work at least some jobs to keep working history up, so I hope she'll be fine either way (and hopefully you guys won't break up in the first place!). However, I am often very concerned about the number of young women I meet that even before kids say the "don't have to work more than 3 days or go for a career because boyfriend/husband earns enough".

I agree that this makes me a bit skittish too. Even if she doesn't "need" to work it is good if she does at least part time. If not I would say that the second best option is that you make sure she has assets in her own name that she has control over whether you break up or not. See it as you give her a salary for all the work she does and the work she makes possible for you. My parents did this when my mom was a SAHM.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2018, 07:36:02 AM »
Retiredat63, Don't pull that out of context and delete part!

Here's the whole quote.

Do they do things in a different order (live together before dating, marry before living together?) 

I take it to mean as a different order than you grew up with.

FreshPrincess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2018, 10:55:54 AM »
@NewPerspective - I think you're my spirit animal.

After 17 years together, I am exhausted.  :-)  Seriously though, I knew better than to type something like that in an online forum.  It just doesn't translate well into a meaningful conversation with no additional context.  It is hard to provide more context without writing a book.

My point was just that sometimes I think the advice given can be very short sighted and harsh towards women when it comes to this topic.   The truth is there are some women who would be put off by a guy that insisted on splitting the check in the beginning and that doesn't necessarily make her a user, a gold digger, a mooch, etc.  But with that said she needs to be bringing something to the table (aside from a pretty face).  A willingness to plan a date, buy a thoughtful gift, cook dinner, insist of evenings in or free/cheap dates, be a good listener, etc.   

For what it's worth my husband wasn't rich when we started dating.  Also, we do not exchange gifts now and haven't in years.  People and relationships evolve. He would tell you I am beautiful but he would also say that is very low on the list of what he most values about me (that would be sex.  KIDDING!!! :-)).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 10:57:32 AM by FreshPrincess »

NewPerspective

• Stubble
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2018, 11:04:27 AM »
@NewPerspective - I think you're my spirit animal.

Yay!!  I'm glad I'm not alone out here! 

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2018, 01:39:43 PM »

I agree that this makes me a bit skittish too. Even if she doesn't "need" to work it is good if she does at least part time. If not I would say that the second best option is that you make sure she has assets in her own name that she has control over whether you break up or not. See it as you give her a salary for all the work she does and the work she makes possible for you. My parents did this when my mom was a SAHM.

I agree.  Even though I'm happily married, as a child of divorce I realize that you never know what is going to happen in the future and being in your wife's situation would make me very nervous.  I love the idea of putting lots of assets in her name and also suggest (if you haven't already) fully funding a retirement account entirely in her name.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2018, 07:10:56 PM »
I love this! I think it's too good to limit it to either gender, so I've taken the liberty of making it neutral. I hope the author does not mind. I truly believe this will help people make better partnering decisions. Thank you for this excellent post, @rdaneel0!

What characteristics do you look for in a person you want to date? I think you need to adjust your list because I'm guessing you are missing some seriously important traits and focusing on superficial things. Weed out the unqualified with these questions:

1. Is s/he hard working?
Not just at work (that's important too) but in general? Does s/he pitch in and help people without being asked or wait to be served and taken care of? Does s/he complain about and hate any form of work or does s/he feel gratified doing a good job at something?

2. Does s/he have integrity? Is their word good? If s/he says she'll do something will s/he do it? Does s/he have personal morals and values s/he holds themself to or is s/he only concerned with their own gratification? People who use other people have no integrity.

3. Is s/he appreciative? Is there ever enough you can do to please them or is there a constantly shifting goalpost? Is s/he gracious and vocally appreciative when you do something nice?

4. Is s/he generous? How generous is s/he not only with you but with friends and family? How generous is s/he with time and focus? Does s/he go out of their way to do kind things for others? People who are generous generally do not take advantage of others.

This is the really important stuff that goes deep into the heart of who a person really is. In my opinion this is far more important than having common hobbies or liking the same movies.

ETA - I should have mentioned that I did this because I wanted to put it on the "Best Post"  thread, because it richly deserves the widest possible audience.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 08:16:59 PM by Dicey »