Author Topic: Getting "in shape" post FIRE  (Read 1678 times)

hydra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Getting "in shape" post FIRE
« on: April 07, 2021, 06:10:52 PM »
For those of you who have already FIRE'd, was the goal of getting into better physical shape a big factor in your decision to FIRE?

If so, have you been successful? If not, why not?

IslandFiGirl

• Stubble
Re: Getting "in shape" post FIRE
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 07:42:09 PM »
Yes getting into shape was a big factor in me FIRE'ing ...I thought if I had more time to plan meals and work out, I would FINALLY lose weight.  No, I don't feel successful...I'm still bigger than I want to be.  It's me that is the problem, and I will always be the problem no matter where I go, how much time I have or how much money I have.  That being said, I have lost about 25 lbs since FIRE a year ago...but I have another hundred plus to go.  I'm the problem because I will literally put EVERYTHING else before myself as far as diet and exercise go...Still working on figuring it out and not at all interested in giving up!

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 10:10:31 PM »
I took up Triathlon, I spend a ton on my fitness. It is vital for me. I flat out do not care how much it costs me. I go to the fancy gym, (their pool is warmer and more enjoyable to swim in) I spent a ton on my bike. I will buy any fitness thing I need to get to any goal. The amount of money I spend on shoes would blow some on this board away.

I am currently training for a Sprint Triathlon with a goal of a full distance of 140.6 within 5 years
I also have a full marathon this fall.

I see a trainer that is worth every cent I pay her. I rather pay her than a therapist.

I will buy what ever food I need to get to my goals as food is part of the whole plan. And with my training starting (I train hard April to October) I am eating more...so higher grocery bill.

Covid19 put me in a terrible mental state. There were times where I was so low I did not know how I was going to get out of it. We still have a 10 year old at home...it was dark. Hubby and I had a talk and I had to give myself permission to do what I needed to do to climb out of the hole and never get back into it. I train a lot and I freaking love it. To me if I do not do this and spend the money there is no point. I spend about $100 a week when all broken down. Between my trainer, the gym, the gear and races. So for $400ish a month I am a better wife, better mother and I am starting to put myself first. I am in the strongest mental spot I have been in a very long time.

I suggest you learn that the things you do, make who you become. So if you take 10 minutes every morning to plan out your food and workout so you have a game plan for the day. You fill your water bottle, make your coffee, make sure you have the food in your house that works for you. You are not selfish. What does every airplane says before take off...you must put on your mask before you help others.

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 09:29:15 AM »
I got my weight under control while I was still working. I actually found it easier to lose and maintain my weight when I was in a set routine. Eleven years later, I have kept the weight off, But I always gain a little when I'm traveling or visiting family.  I did not change my exercise pattern that much when I retired, but I did experience a dramatic reduction in chronic hip and back pain once I was no longer forced to spend 8 to 10 hours a day seated at a desk, staring into a computer screen. On the other hand, I have experienced more sports related minor injuries now that I have more time to play.

Life in Balance

• Bristles
  • FIREd in 2019
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 09:45:44 AM »
Yes, my health made the decision for me.  I stayed too long in a stressful workplace and burned out completely. My body was completely whacked out and my autoimmune conditions were raging.  15 months later, I'm doing better.  It took me about 12 months to heal from the burnout (and some days I think I still have some healing to do).  I've done six months of PT also.  I feel like my health is on the upswing and this would not have been possible while still working. 

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 09:50:58 AM »
People often spend lots of money (or move, or retire, or make some other large change) in the hope or expectation that their life will change as a result, and are often disappointed.  Change generally has to start with internal motivation and action.   If something is sufficiently important to someone, they'll make time or find money for it, or they'll find a faster/cheaper substitute.  More time, or more money, generally enables people to do more of what they're already inclined to do.  Buying a treadmill won't get you to start running.

That said, having more time or money definitely reduces the barrier to making those changes, if you're so inclined.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 10:16:51 AM »
Nope. I cut back my hours well before I retired so that I could focus on my health. I neglected my health for the last 3 years of my doctorate and swore I would never do that again.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 11:09:36 AM »
Nope. I cut back my hours well before I retired so that I could focus on my health. I neglected my health for the last 3 years of my doctorate and swore I would never do that again.

Oh how I wish I had used that time more wisely. I am a yo-yo dieter, so I have been getting in shape my whole life. I have used the last few years to try to come up with better systems, but so far it just seems to have shortened the up cycles. I don't know if it is hormonal or psychological, or what, by I can go from craving veggies and being mostly vegetarian to not being able to look at greens and back again in a way that almost feels bipolar.

hydra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 11:47:27 AM »
I love the ideas in this thread, especially the one to spend a little time every morning pre-planning the food for the day. I think this could work for me as long as I didn't get myself into a rut with regard to variety. I'd love to have a personal chef! Has anyone had luck long term with meal delivery programs?

I'm afraid of extreme fitness goals like marathons, especially at my age. I fear overuse injuries that can be counterproductive in the long term. I love slow and steady. Walking, dancing, gardening, and yoga.

Weight loss is 80% diet, but sitting around all day on a computer depresses me and leads me to eat badly.

I love exercising, I love veggies, but I also have a habit of eating sugary fatty carbs to numb my anxiety for a moment, and this leads to more anxiety. I need to get on a better routine. What saves me is genes that prevent me from gaining a large amount of weight. The amount that I want to lose is only 10 pounds, but those 10 pounds are SO stubborn as long as I remain addicted to overeating.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 12:03:09 PM by hydra »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 12:10:58 PM »
I love the ideas in this thread, especially the one to spend a little time every morning pre-planning the food for the day. I think this could work for me as long as I didn't get myself into a rut with regard to variety. I'd love to have a personal chef! Has anyone had luck long term with meal delivery programs?

I batch cook for the week, so all meals are made and pre-portioned. It takes exactly zero work for us to stay on diet.

If you want your meals made for you though, it's much cheaper to hire a cleaning/cooking person. That's what most of my dual professional friends do. None of them cook.

I'm afraid of extreme fitness goals like marathons, especially at my age. I fear overuse injuries that can be counterproductive in the long term. I love slow and steady. Walking, dancing, gardening, and yoga.

Yeah, I know a lot of overweight unhealthy people who used to run marathons. There's exactly no point in having an "extreme" fitness goal of all of your gains are just going to rapidly disappear once you stop maintaining it.

For fitness, you have to know what your outcome goal is, and if it's to maintain your health, then it really doesn't take a lot, and consistency is far more important than intensity.

Weight loss is 80% diet, but sitting around all day on a computer depresses me and leads me to eat badly.

Plus there's a hell of a lot more to health than weight loss. You're way better off being slightly overweight and consistently active than thin and sedentary. Again, it's about knowing your goals. When I take a medication that makes me gain weight, I focus on diet to eliminate it. But if I want to feel stronger, healthier, happier, and more vital, I focus on exercise.

I love exercising, I love veggies, but I also have a habit of eating sugary fatty carbs to numb my anxiety for a moment, and this leads to more anxiety. I need to get on a better routine. What saves me is genes that prevent me from gaining a large amount of weight. The amount that I want to lose is only 10 pounds, but those 10 pounds are SO stubborn as long as I remain addicted to overeating.

I've always said that the best diet is a good therapist.
Address both the habit and the underlying mental health issue that you are trying to medicate. If you don't resolve the underlying issue, then this pattern of behaviour will plague you forever and as you get older, it will just get harder. 

« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 12:32:14 PM by Malcat »

Spicolli

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 01:08:10 PM »
Round is a shape too!

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 02:01:10 PM »
I took up Triathlon...

Best of luck in your training. I am an addict also! Spent way too much (pre covid) on training stuff... have too many bikes, but it is FUN!
That's what money is for.
What IM are you eyeing?

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 03:44:06 PM »
I took up Triathlon...

Best of luck in your training. I am an addict also! Spent way too much (pre covid) on training stuff... have too many bikes, but it is FUN!
What IM are you eyeing?

I am having so much fun in general with training. It almost feels like play to me.

I am not sure what IM I am eyeing. But Coeur d'Alene, is at the top of the list.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2021, 09:14:29 AM »
For me, I was concerned about staying in shape when working from home -- I'd been biking to work, and swimming at work during lunch.  We moved, and now I work from home.  We bought a spin bike and a TRX, and I do a good job of using one or the other (or going for a run) most lunch breaks.  I also try to walk to town (~20 minutes, with a decent hill) whenever I need to run errands.  I feel like, as others have said, the loss of schedule that FIRE will bring might make it harder for me.  I'll definitely keep this in mind as FIRE is getting close. :)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2021, 09:27:19 AM »
For me, I was concerned about staying in shape when working from home -- I'd been biking to work, and swimming at work during lunch.  We moved, and now I work from home.  We bought a spin bike and a TRX, and I do a good job of using one or the other (or going for a run) most lunch breaks.  I also try to walk to town (~20 minutes, with a decent hill) whenever I need to run errands.  I feel like, as others have said, the loss of schedule that FIRE will bring might make it harder for me.  I'll definitely keep this in mind as FIRE is getting close. :)

Funny, I found it much easier to keep an exercise schedule without work. It just became how I started my day.

Mmm_Donuts

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2021, 09:33:32 AM »
Yes, getting in shape was a big factor for me in FIREing. I've always been pretty fit (have no trouble working out every day) but wanted to do more, and more importantly, spend more time cooking and figuring out that side of things. I've always been horrible with meal planning, grocery shopping, etc. We tended to eat out A LOT. There have been times in my life when I've been working a lot and eating out 3 meals a day! Probably the majority of my working career was like this. So, I have a lot of work to do in this area.

So far I've gotten a bit better, I've been tackling one recipe at a time, and only dinners. Lunches are usually simple salads and bread. I sometimes do large batches of soup, but have to be inspired by a new recipe or ingredients that I need to use up that happen to say "soup!" Eg. leeks and potatoes. I definitely need to develop these habits more and do more meal planning and batch cooking. I also snack a lot since I'm home all the time. I notice I'm stress eating more during covid.

Workout-wise - I try to do 2 a day (one in the morning, one in the afternoon.) The morning is generally yoga, and afternoon is cycling and/or weights. Total workout time could be anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours a day. As long as I do some sort of movement every day, I'm happy.

I haven't really lost weight since FIRE but that wasn't my goal. I'm mostly aiming to feel good in my skin and stay strong, fit, active, and pain-free. If I cut out the stress-eating and snacking I could easily lose 10-15 lbs... but, I am giving myself a pass as I don't think I'm at an unhealthy weight and I am not interested in 'dieting.' Another factor in being healthy IMO is learning to be more self compassionate; I'm not going to beat myself up about snacking and gaining a few pounds during a pandemic.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2021, 11:05:13 AM »
I took up Triathlon...

What IM are you eyeing?

I am having so much fun in general with training. It almost feels like play to me.

I am not sure what IM I am eyeing. But Coeur d'Alene, is at the top of the list.

While I haven't done CDA, I have some feedback: hilly, and potential for COLD swims and HOT bikes and runs. My friend did it when it was 100 degrees + on the blacktop and they ran out of water!

I am signed up for WA 70.3 this fall. I haven't really started training.... oops!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!