Author Topic: Friend in an odd situation due to shady father  (Read 4264 times)

BuckeyeFinance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Friend in an odd situation due to shady father
« on: January 14, 2017, 08:44:49 AM »
zzz
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 02:36:41 PM by BuckeyeFinance »

Malum Prohibitum

• Pencil Stache
Re: Friend in an odd situation due to shady father
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 08:50:41 AM »
So you want her to steal from her dad because he is bad.

Is it ok to steal from bad people?

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 08:54:55 AM »
If the father has access to the money it will probably be gone quickly enough.

The daughter should probably inform whichever authority is authorised to seize the money about the account, so that she is not complicit in hiding the money.

Presumably some at least of the money will go to your friend's mother, who I suppose might pass some of it on to your friend.  But $5k in credit card debt should be something your friend can sort out for herself.  Have you tried Your Money or Your Life on her yet?

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 10:26:24 AM »
How is your friend's relationship with her mother (or to whomever the child support is owed)?

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 10:47:17 AM »

The way I see it, the money isn't his to begin with.

It's not hers, either.  She could get in big trouble for spending this money before it gets confiscated by authorities and used appropriately.

The daughter should probably inform whichever authority is authorised to seize the money about the account, so that she is not complicit in hiding the money.

I second this.  She needs to get this money out of her hands (and not into her father's) ASAP.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 01:29:53 PM »
If he doesn't have access to the money, then he's essentially decided to give all of the money to his daughter instead of his ex-wife or other creditors?

I'm not sure she's even legally entitled to receive a gift like that.  I certainly wouldn't be comfortable with that arrangement.  At best, I would promptly hand it all over to Mom to pay off the back child support.  I certainly wouldn't use any of it to pay my own bills.

Malum Prohibitum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 04:40:54 PM »

The way I see it, the money isn't his to begin with.
  Well, then, let me put it this way, since appealing to your moral sensibility appears to be utterly futile.  Has your female friend ever been to jail before?  How well do you think she would hold up in there?  If the answers are "yes" and "she holds up just fine," then by all means, advise her to steal the money and pay off her credit card debt.

bugbaby

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 05:14:34 PM »
The question is, will they listen to and act on the opinions of MMM forum?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 06:24:16 AM »
Doing shady things with money is how mostly-good people go to federal prison. She needs to hire a lawyer and stop talking about it with anybody else.

(Apparently Bernie Madoff is now a hot chocolate monopolist in his prison. He buys it all from the commissary and everybody else buys it from him.)

Blatant

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 07:57:41 AM »
It appears the OP may have a, uh, different moral compass.

"Your friend's" father is utilizing the bank account to funnel assets and hide them from authorities and his family. "Your friend" is providing the means and methods to do that. In most states, that would be called conspiracy. If it hasn't happened already, the next request will be for an ATM card so he can start siphoning off those funds.

It sounds as if the OP is suggesting that the father's family who is owed $100k in back child support somehow isn't legally (and perhaps morally) entitled to that money. And that "the friend" is somehow entitled to it because? It's in her account? It belongs to nobody? Not quite sure.

And, honestly, it's confounding that this is even a discussion among adults.