Author Topic: Fixing a leaky toilet  (Read 3879 times)

ETBen

• Bristles
    • I started a journal about single parenting and the new life towards FIRE
Fixing a leaky toilet
« on: July 29, 2016, 07:59:12 AM »
I've replaced the pieces inside various toilet tanks before, but I've never seen this type before. I assume it's leaking bc it keeps running. Any idea if I only need to replace the seal or if the whole contraption?  Is it the same concept as the kind with a floating ball?   

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
Re: Fixing a leaky toilet
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 12:22:26 PM »
If you have a leak - it is likely leaking from the big black gasket that sits between the top and the bottom sections of the toilet.  Very common and easy to fix.  The only other way it could be "leaking" is a crack in the plastic.  If you apply pressure the the black gasket and it is brittle and breaking down you have likely found your issue.  It is located under that center piece (don't know what it is called).

Highbeam

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 05:09:37 PM »
It can also be leaking past the flush valve into the bowl causing the fill valve to replenish the tank. This kind of leak does not land on the floor. Far more common.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 08:47:43 PM »
You may just need to adjust the float rod - the one off to the side of the float itself.

You want to make the float be deeper in the water so that the fill stops sooner.

I had the same problem, was a 2 minute fix. Apparently the floats get less floaty over time, so you need to adjust after a few years or it overfills and keeps running.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 11:12:58 PM »
Flapper or tank ball needs to be replaced when a toilet intermittently runs between flushes.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 10:34:54 AM »
Flapper or tank ball needs to be replaced when a toilet intermittently runs between flushes.

Look at the photo. No ball. It's the newer style float.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 12:00:43 PM »
Google "how to clean valve on a fluidmaster toilet assembly". Basically you pull the red top off of the black device and use the water pressure to blow any debris out of the valve. Tough to explain, easy to do, and covered in at least a few youtube videos. Good luck.

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 12:54:55 PM »

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 12:56:41 PM »
Dollar Slice had the same problem in June.  I bet yours is a Kohler too.  Here's the advice I gave her, which apparently worked. 

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/do-it-yourself-forum!/toilet-question-(probably-very-basic)/

Is it a Kohler?  We have one of those - damn seals fail all the time.  You can google repairs on youtube - this is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-oVbeFsXhI

Basically, disconnect the supply tube at the top, and grab the small round black cylinder inside the big black cylinder it feeds into.  Rotate it counter clockwise a quarter turn, and it will pop off, bringing both cylinders free.  The seal is on the bottom.  Sometimes it needs replacing, and sometimes you can just clean it off, and turn it over.  Just reverse what you did to reinstall it.  A new seal is about $10 at Lowes.

starguru

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 02:58:00 PM »
Dollar Slice had the same problem in June.  I bet yours is a Kohler too.  Here's the advice I gave her, which apparently worked. 

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/do-it-yourself-forum!/toilet-question-(probably-very-basic)/

Is it a Kohler?  We have one of those - damn seals fail all the time.  You can google repairs on youtube - this is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-oVbeFsXhI

Basically, disconnect the supply tube at the top, and grab the small round black cylinder inside the big black cylinder it feeds into.  Rotate it counter clockwise a quarter turn, and it will pop off, bringing both cylinders free.  The seal is on the bottom.  Sometimes it needs replacing, and sometimes you can just clean it off, and turn it over.  Just reverse what you did to reinstall it.  A new seal is about $10 at Lowes.

Ha I just did this last weekend!!  Like literally exact same setup.  It was the rubber ring dealy at the bottom.  I think I spent $5 at HD.   Hasn't run since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ETBen

• Bristles
    • I started a journal about single parenting and the new life towards FIRE
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 09:41:00 PM »
Thanks all!  Very helpful and going to try tomorrow