Author Topic: Fiancee Needs Health Insurance  (Read 2827 times)

exranger06

• Stubble
Fiancee Needs Health Insurance
« on: February 10, 2014, 01:24:41 PM »
So, my fiancee finally got hired for a new job. This is basically her dream job. The company's health insurance doesn't go into effect until she's worked over 60 days. She has some medical issues and really needs health insurance. She can't go 60 days with no coverage. The only solution I can see is if we did a justice of the peace wedding right away and she goes on my insurance, which is something I don't really want to do. We are getting married this November and already have a lot of the wedding planning done. Even if we did the justice of the peace thing, we would still have our official ceremony in November. I just don't like the idea of having a few months of "we're technically married, but it's not really official yet" awkwardness. I feel it kind of cheapens the real wedding.

Is there any way my fiancee can get on my health insurance without being married? Or is there any other easy solution? Would it be practical for her to buy her own third party insurance?

huadpe

• Stubble
Re: Fiancee Needs Health Insurance
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 01:30:50 PM »
Presumably she currently has insurance through her current job?  She would then be eligible for COBRA, allowing her to buy her current work policy at full price for those two months.  She should do that.

BigRed

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 02:04:21 PM »
Loss of insurance (leaving old job, new insurance doesn't kick in yet) should allow her to buy through the ACA exchanges.  Depending on her income, she may be eligible for subsidies.  But, even if she's not, she should be able to buy. Not sure how quickly that coverage would kick in, though, but it seem if you buy before Feb 15, then coverage should kick in Mar 1.  1 month of COBRA should get you to March 1.  You should be able to cancel your insurance then once the new employer insurance kicks in.

exranger06

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 04:26:06 PM »
She starts the new job March 17th. The new job's insurance won't kick in until June 1st.