Author Topic: Fark. Ipad dun broke.  (Read 3236 times)

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
Fark. Ipad dun broke.
« on: May 21, 2015, 06:39:53 PM »
We have a 3 year old iPad which was a gift, to be used to Facetime the grandparents who use Apple devices exclusively.  Other than the iPad we have android phones and a windows computer. 

We use the iPad to facetime a couple times a week, extensive web browsing, watching TV shows while doing all manner of boring household chores (dishes, laundry folding, etc), and kids entertainment.  It is heavily abused, dropped, stepped on, etc, but with a super good case it has been fine.  It actually quit spontaneously with no abuse today. 

Obviously we can switch to skype or similar, but an ipad might get a slight edge for convenience to old people.

I just got off the phone with apple, and the cost to repair will be $250.  A new ipad mini can be had for $299, a full size Air for $399.  Older models are presumably cheaper, but I don't want to go too old since they get obsolete so fast.  Plus presumably we can look for sales/GC deals at Target and the like.

Thoughts?  What else is out there that is good?  Can I just watch my laundry TV on our old netbook?  Have I become a slave to this device?  (yes). 

asiljoy

• Bristles
Re: Fark. Ipad dun broke.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 06:59:01 PM »
I mean, I don't think anyone is ever going to say that an iPad is a must have item. But we have one and use it frequently in the manner you did, and it's been wonderful to keep in touch with my parents. It really just comes down to 1) how much do you value that interaction in that manner 2) how much time you feel like spending troubleshooting their problems with new software 3) what's a realistic budget for you for something like this; I'm guessing your android phones could do something similar albeit in a less user friendly manner?

That being said, I don't quite buy into the going obsolete argument for not wanting to buy an older model. Yes, they're releasing another one every year-ish, but really, the new features are just kind of extra perks at this point, nothing OMG-AMAZING-I-MUST-HAVE-THAT in the last two models? Sure, a sharper display is great, but for your purpose, not really a deal breaker?

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 07:02:56 PM »
My obsolescence concern is because we had a 3 year old iPod touch, and you couldn't get the new OS, so you couldn't get any new aps. It was very frustrating. It may not be an issue with ipads but it left a sour taste in our mouths.

My mom just told me she'd pay for half a new iPad because she highly values her facetime with grandkids.

Hedonistic adaptation at its finest.

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 07:31:02 PM »
HA. Well, that works :D

I didn't realize the thing with the phones/touches. We have burner Windows phones because they were cheap/our cheap plan didn't do the cellphone reimbursement thing. They weren't as bad as what I was told they'd be(the salesman even tried to get us to buy literally anything else in the store), and now that more sites are mobile friendly, I don't really notice the lack of apps. When our iPad air dies, I'm not sure what we'll do. My husband uses it for his textbooks and he's not very tech savvy. I imagine he'll want another just because its what he's used to. :/

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 07:42:00 PM »
You can also check for refurbs on the Apple site.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 04:50:08 PM »
Check Glyde for used ones.  The prices on the older generation models are pretty reasonable, which would fit your use case.

We still have the iPad 2 we got as a gift, and haven't found anything we'd like to do that we can't.