Author Topic: extra Freezer  (Read 12745 times)

skyler

• Stubble
extra Freezer
« on: August 19, 2013, 02:47:40 PM »
Thinking about getting a freezer (currently have a regular side by side GE fridge) for a family of 5.

Found this awesome deal (under $200) for a new Frigidaire FFFC07M4NW 7.2 CuFt Chest Freezer, but can't figure out the yearly energy consumption. When I click the Energy star, it just says it cannot be determined since it does not have a compressor????

Are freezers considered High Power consumption appliances?
Is having an extra freezer considered antiMustacian?

dorkus619

• Stubble
    • SimplyBex
Re: extra Freezer
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 02:55:51 PM »
I have no idea! I have a chest freezer at home and I have (somewhere) one of those Kill-A-Watt thingies. I need to do a self-energy audit!

I am wondering the same things becuase we have 2 refrigerators (one in kitchen, one in basement/bar- kegs of home brew!) AND a chest freezer. I also wonder how anti-mustachian this is.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 03:03:29 PM »
I bought a small chest freezer, and it helps me stock up when there are sales, and I put away a bit of the summer's produce, too.  I should check with a kill-a-watt to see how much those savings are costing me.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 03:04:21 PM »
Chest freezers are good in that the cold air doesn't all fall out when you open them.

Extra freezer yes will use electricity, but a new energy star one should be pretty good. IF you need it, buy it, but if it's going to be empty most of the time... well, at least you can turn it off, I guess.

Going to store summer produce or half a cow bought from a local farmer? Go for it.

Myrmida

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 04:50:45 PM »
On a related note, we live in a cold climate (Calgary, Canada), and are thinking of moving our freezer to our detached garage which stays below freezing all winter long.  Heck!  We could probably unplug the thing during the winter unless we have a chinook (warm mountain wind that can heat up our area quickly).  Any reason we shouldn't do this?

skyler

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 05:12:50 PM »
Chest freezers are good in that the cold air doesn't all fall out when you open them.

Extra freezer yes will use electricity, but a new energy star one should be pretty good. IF you need it, buy it, but if it's going to be empty most of the time... well, at least you can turn it off, I guess.

Going to store summer produce or half a cow bought from a local farmer? Go for it.
I can definitely see value in having one. This summer we picked about 15 lb of blueberries with the kids... ended up freezing some, making a few pies and giving some away. Could have frozen a lot more to have for our breakfast oatmeal year round.
The other thing is I don't like going to Costco anymore, but my local grocery store has some pretty incredible deals about once a month. I cannot stock up because of the lack of storage and end up going to the store more often.

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 05:21:59 PM »
On a related note, we live in a cold climate (Calgary, Canada), and are thinking of moving our freezer to our detached garage which stays below freezing all winter long.  Heck!  We could probably unplug the thing during the winter unless we have a chinook (warm mountain wind that can heat up our area quickly).  Any reason we shouldn't do this?

I have heard of people having some problems where the freezer doesn't run (because the outside temperature is sufficiently cold), but the anti-frost elements do still run, so you end up with a partial thaw of the items pressing against the walls of the freezer. Also, depending on temperature swing through the day, I wonder if condensation on the coils may be a problem. Certainly people do it all the time, though. You might ask a neighbor if they've had any particular problems in your climate.

skyler

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 05:26:38 PM »

We live much "closer" to the equator lol
So I have no idea about your kind of temperatures and how it would impact the freezer...
Curious nonetheless...

Michelle119

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 08:34:47 PM »
We have an entire second fridge/freezer in the garage. We use the fridge to keep drinks and snacks cool. We use the freezer part for extra meat and stocking up on big sales.

LowER

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 09:34:20 PM »
Our extra chest-type freezer has helped us save a ton of money.  I only wish it was bigger.

skyler

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 05:42:31 AM »
Our extra chest-type freezer has helped us save a ton of money.  I only wish it was bigger.

I am looking at a 7.2
What size is your freezer if you don't mind me asking, and how many people in your household??

skyler

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 05:44:53 AM »

Question:

I am determine to get the freezer, now I am wondering do I get an upright or chest freezer???

If you have one, what kind is yours and how do you like it?
Thanx everyone!

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 06:19:18 AM »
I have a small Danby chest freezer. It's been going strong with almost constant use for around 7 years now. No issues ever. Our apartments get quite warm, too, and it seems fine with that. No idea how it affects our electric bill, as I'd have to unplug it for a while.

captainawesome

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 06:23:10 AM »
I have a chest freezer, about 5.0 cu feet. Made by GE.  I got mine of Craigslist for less than 100 bucks I think? I'm planning on buying some bulk beef with it, but I also buy all my vegetables and fruits in bulk from costco so it helps to have the extra freezer space.  It's also nice when hunting season comes around and my father in law stocks it up with venison. I don't find myself playing tetris in the main freezer anymore.

onehappypanda

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 06:46:30 AM »
We're getting an extra freezer after a year in this rental, so I have a pretty good handle on the electricity bills and can let ya know how our power goes up. I think we'll save money - both because of being able to buy stuff in bulk, but also because I plan to stock the thing with some ready-to-cook meals (crockpot/oven ready) so it's easier to resist the siren call of the takeout place during busy times. Our rental fridge/freezer is comically small so we can't fit much in there other than some bags of veggies and fruit.

I've always been told that, space allowing, a chest freezer is the most efficient at keeping cold air in. I've never compared it with an upright myself though.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 06:57:29 AM »
Thinking about getting a freezer (currently have a regular side by side GE fridge) for a family of 5.

Found this awesome deal (under $200) for a new Frigidaire FFFC07M4NW 7.2 CuFt Chest Freezer, but can't figure out the yearly energy consumption. When I click the Energy star, it just says it cannot be determined since it does not have a compressor????

Per this site http://enervee.com/freezers/124709432_frigidaire-fffc07m4nw-7.2-cu.-ft.-stainless-steel-chest-freezer-energy-star[/url]][url=http://enervee.com/freezers/124709432_frigidaire-fffc07m4nw-7.2-cu.-ft.-stainless-steel-chest-freezer-energy-star]http://enervee.com/freezers/124709432_frigidaire-fffc07m4nw-7.2-cu.-ft.-stainless-steel-chest-freezer-energy-star[/url] it is highly energy efficient.  Chest freezers are good options if you NEED one, newer ones will use about 300kwh/year to 500+kwh/year for older ones  so take your electricity rate x that to see what your annual cost would be.

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 08:17:39 AM »

Question:

I am determine to get the freezer, now I am wondering do I get an upright or chest freezer???

Thanx everyone!

I find chest freezers a pain.  They are probably more efficient, but when our chest freezer died, I bought an upright.  It's much easier to organize and find things. 

dorkus619

• Stubble
    • SimplyBex
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 08:27:14 AM »
I do believe the chest freezers are more efficient.
You can put things in stackable baskets so that you can [more] easily remove stuff on top to get to the bottom stuff

Myrmida

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 10:05:52 AM »

I have heard of people having some problems where the freezer doesn't run (because the outside temperature is sufficiently cold), but the anti-frost elements do still run, so you end up with a partial thaw of the items pressing against the walls of the freezer. Also, depending on temperature swing through the day, I wonder if condensation on the coils may be a problem. Certainly people do it all the time, though. You might ask a neighbor if they've had any particular problems in your climate.

Thanks for the info!  I'm going to look into this more.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 11:07:01 AM »

Question:

Thanx everyone!
We bought a chest freezer when we ran out of place in the freezer part of the fridge
I usually stock up for pennies on the dollar on frozen items so it has saved us tons of money and paid for itself
very quickly.
That said, now I regret not having bought an upright one.
It gets hard to dig down to stuff and rotate things. It's much easier to find stuff in an upright one and I feel I can fit more in the same footprint.
We have been wondering for a while if we should switch it out, but I am too cheap to buy another one as long as we can make do.
I really wish though, I had spent a bit more upfront and gotten the upright one

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 11:14:59 AM »

Question:

Thanx everyone!

I had a chest freezer at our last home, and used it to stock up on meat and some prepared-food essentials (pre full blown Muustachian).  So much stuff gets lost in the bottom.  When I moved, my new tenant wanted it, so she bought it for half of what I paid for it new.  One less thing to move across the country!

At our new home, I found an upright freezer on Craig's List for $85.  It has a few small marks on the front of the door, but is clean and mechanically sound, been using it for 5 years w/no problems.  Much easier to organize and see what you have, so it eliminates waste.

I'm vegan now and hubby eats a lot less meat, so I've noticed that our need for the freezer is waning now.  I too wondered if it's more mustachian to clean it out and sell it, but hubby still sees value.  We are moving to a smaller home in the next few years, this may be my motivation to show him one fridge/freezer is enough for us!

skyler

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 11:30:13 AM »
Like everything in my life, once I start looking into something, the universe helps along.

I was wondering about a freezer. I realized I need it for my family of 5.
Going to the grocery store every few days was getting ridiculous.

I checked Craigslist and found a large one (upright, way too big).

Than I looked up retail store inventory in my zip code online. Found what looked like a great deal a Frigidaire chest freezer (under $200). 
Went to the store to purchase it and when I got there, started comparing prices and energy efficiency (yellow stickers on every unit for easy reference).
The Frigidaire, while enticing when looking online, had a higher energy consumption per year than some other brands.
So I kept looking.
I found a 5 CFT chest freezer w/basket made by Avanti. Had cute adjustable thermostat with power indicator light, removable storage basket. It was on sale for $189 so I was determine to get it.

Except the store was sold out, did not have any in stock:(
I asked the manager for the floor model. Noticed and pointed out some minor scratches. Asked for a discount, told them I am taking it home today. Manager gave me a deal--paid $137.67 (that's with tax)!!! Talk about badassity!!
Not too bad for a couple of hours worth of research and a trip to the store (combined with other errands).
Very productive day and it's not even 3pm!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 04:04:10 PM by skyler »

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 11:45:18 AM »
Awesome deal, congrats!  I think the chest freezer we had was an Avanti too.  Never had a problem with it.  :)

skyler

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 03:28:57 PM »

Per this site http://enervee.com/freezers/124709432_frigidaire-fffc07m4nw-7.2-cu.-ft.-stainless-steel-chest-freezer-energy-star[/url]][url=http://enervee.com/freezers/124709432_frigidaire-fffc07m4nw-7.2-cu.-ft.-stainless-steel-chest-freezer-energy-star]http://enervee.com/freezers/124709432_frigidaire-fffc07m4nw-7.2-cu.-ft.-stainless-steel-chest-freezer-energy-star[/url] it is highly energy efficient.  Chest freezers are good options if you NEED one, newer ones will use about 300kwh/year to 500+kwh/year for older ones  so take your electricity rate x that to see what your annual cost would be.

Thank you for your research.
I lucked out and purchased another one that supposedly will only use $23 a year...very excited!

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 03:59:27 PM »
Congrats skyler! Nice purchase. It should pay for itself when stocking up on bulk food items.

skyler

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 04:02:28 PM »
Awesome deal, congrats!  I think the chest freezer we had was an Avanti too.  Never had a problem with it.  :)
TY
:)

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 02:03:08 PM »
I found having an inventory of the contents of the freezer helps you maximize the savings. You will know what's in there, even if you have to dig to the bottom to find it, so you can plan your meals based on what you have. There are plenty of freezer inventory template printables available for free online - I think I got mine from organizedhome.com

skyler

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 02:49:00 PM »
I found having an inventory of the contents of the freezer helps you maximize the savings. You will know what's in there, even if you have to dig to the bottom to find it, so you can plan your meals based on what you have. There are plenty of freezer inventory template printables available for free online - I think I got mine from organizedhome.com
[/quote

Like the idea!
Also read somewhere to place things on box tops (like office box/file storage) and use this "layer" system to retrieve things faster when trying to get to the bottom...

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 07:23:51 PM »
Congrats on the new freezer!

On the idea of keeping it unplugged, also check what temp the freezer runs at. Ours is much colder than the fridge freezer, a real benefit in preventing freezer burn.

skyler

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 09:08:46 PM »
Congrats on the new freezer!

On the idea of keeping it unplugged, also check what temp the freezer runs at. Ours is much colder than the fridge freezer, a real benefit in preventing freezer burn.

Thanx Rural,
Because mine was a floor model, it came without a box and manual, so I am not quite sure of all the "wonders" it can do:)
There is a knob on the side to adjust temperature. There is also a green light for when freezer is on and a red light supposedly for when the compressor kicks in??

Anyway, the first night  I touched the outside of the freezer and it felt really warm.
I quickly Googled it and saw that it is normal to have freezer outside walls get warm...apparently the reason is to prevent condensation from forming if outside humidity/temperature are high...

I promptly filled the freezer today with some staples...
Still excited!

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2013, 09:17:37 PM »
The manual may be available on-line.

Most chest freezers are manual defrost.  That means every 4 to 6 months you have to empty every thing out, unplug the freezer and drain the water melting from the ice.  Manual defrost freezers are better for preserving food because they hold a steady temperature.  Automatic defrost models warm up every few hours and the moisture from the melted ice crystals drains.  Food does not stay at zero degrees and is more subject to freezer burn and spoilage.

skyler

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2013, 09:31:51 PM »
The manual may be available on-line.

Most chest freezers are manual defrost.  That means every 4 to 6 months you have to empty every thing out, unplug the freezer and drain the water melting from the ice.  Manual defrost freezers are better for preserving food because they hold a steady temperature.  Automatic defrost models warm up every few hours and the moisture from the melted ice crystals drains.  Food does not stay at zero degrees and is more subject to freezer burn and spoilage.

Another reader:
I noticed the freezer has a cute little plug on the bottom, did not give it much thought though...
Thanx for advice about defrosting, I did not know that...
I will look to download the manual just to have it save on my computer (I may want to read it cover to cover during the cold, dark winter nights ;-)

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2014, 10:43:26 PM »
Bumping this old thread to ask if anyone really loves their freezer or has a strong recommendation one way or another. I am checking out the enervee site (thanks!), but also thought I would ask community opinions too.

mrgrump

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2014, 04:12:23 AM »
I am also in search of 2 5-8 Cft freezers. We are looking to purchase a side of beef and an entire hog. I was going to go the craigslist route but wanted to see if there were any brands I should avoid or if 10 to 16 Cft was too much. We would also stock up on sale items.

My logic for getting 2 was that I would only need maximum space once a year and after it all fit in one freezer I would unplug the unused freezer until we stocked up again.