Author Topic: ER visit, no one took insurance info. Help??  (Read 2599 times)

Lady SA

• Pencil Stache
ER visit, no one took insurance info. Help??
« on: November 10, 2017, 01:03:43 PM »
So, I have never in my life been to a hospital or dealt with medical billing, so this is all new to me and I'm hoping some wise mustachians can help me out.

Yesterday during work, I had a very fast onset of intense kidney stone pain and fainted (very freaky for both me and my coworkers!). They called for an ambulance, which brought me to the hospital. I definitely wasn't up to standing up, let alone getting there under my own steam. Pretty embarrassing for me, I hate causing all that excitement at work in front of my coworkers and boss. Anyway...

I was brought to the emergency department, checked out, etc. Got some meds, and they discharged me. I'm back home and fine now. But this morning, I realized no one ever was given my insurance info. I had the card on me and told people I had it, but at no point did I take it out to give to anyone. My husband didn't either.

So my question is, how the heck does billing work? How will my insurance get billed? Will the hospital send me the bill and I have to send it on to my insurance? I'm totally lost and this is new to both me and DH. We have a good emergency fund built up and can cover whatever the bill comes to, so I'm not worried about that, but I am just unsure what the whole process is. Is it normal that no one took my insurance info? Is it normal for a patient to have to pass billing onto the insurer? I'm hoping someone can walk me through what to expect, and tips for dealing with both the hospital and my insurance so this goes smoothly. Thanks so much!

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
Re: ER visit, no one took insurance info. Help??
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 01:20:39 PM »
I would call your insurance company ASAP.  They should fill you in. 

For what it's worth, I took an ambulance once (false alarm, luckily) and was concerned the city was going to bill me directly for the ambulance, which can run $2500.  It turned out the city somehow got my insurance info (maybe from the hospital), then my insurance paid a pre-negotiated rate of $1050 directly to the City for the ambulance.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 01:21:52 PM »
I'd call the hospital and offer the information.

If it is one in the network (like not insurance network- but do you have a "mychart" or something like that- if they all post to it, they are in the same network) with your doctor, it is possible they have it already. 
If they bill you directly, you can submit to your insurance, it's a pain (actually- it's just paperwork; the problem is you usually have to float the charge. I guess your situation depends on if it is a problem).

I hope you are feeling better.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 01:24:53 PM by iowajes »

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 01:42:10 PM »
Yeah, contact your insurance company STAT.

I didn't and the ER sent me a bill. They then refused to accept any insurance information even though I was continually insured. Many certified letters later, and after being sent to collections, I had to get a lawyer involved (it's good to have a lawyer in the family).

I don't know what their game was -- they wanted the full price or their billing system was horked? -- but it was a hassle I probably could have solved easier by informing my insurance company right after the incident.

Josiecat

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 01:52:39 PM »
Contact the hospital that gave you treatment and give them your number.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 02:02:36 PM »
Just curious- for those who say call the insurance company (as opposed to the hospital)- what does calling the insurance company do?

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 02:18:07 PM »
Just curious- for those who say call the insurance company (as opposed to the hospital)- what does calling the insurance company do?

They can very quickly look for the claim.  If they have it, you're DONE.  If they don't, they can tell you what to do to get it covered.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 02:37:48 PM »

They can very quickly look for the claim.  If they have it, you're DONE.  If they don't, they can tell you what to do to get it covered.

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense.