Author Topic: Energy Efficient Appliances  (Read 1548 times)

freedomfightergal

• Stubble
Energy Efficient Appliances
« on: December 06, 2018, 09:16:46 AM »
Hi!

I'm closing on a new home soon that doesn't come with a Refrigerator, Washer or Dryer.  I'm hunting for the most Energy efficient ones to keep energy usage low.  I'm hoping to make Solar work for me eventually and of course keep waste down anyway.  Has anyone done this and can recommend some appliances they are happy with and cost little to run?  For a family with large normal capacity.

Thank you!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Energy Efficient Appliances
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 10:12:09 AM »
post-2008 Energy Star certified appliances are what you are looking for.  Appliances from 2008-2011 were 'self-certified' and there was some abuse, so either check the specific model to ensure or buy something from model year 2011 or newer.
Beyond that, how you use it matters far more than the appliance itself (e.g. washing on cold and hang-drying most items will have a far greater impact than buying the most efficient washer/dryer combo and washing on hot and tumble-dry).  likewise changing your freezer thermostat to ~10ºF vs -4ºF.

As always, buy used on Craigslist. Given their poor portability and frequent kitchen remodeling, there are tons of deals on recent-model appliances, often for < 1/3 of buying new. Purchasing new appliances has the biggest carbon footprint - we need to keep slightly used appliances from going into the landfill prematurely (which, sadly, is the fate for many good appliances).

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 10:24:33 AM »
+1 for Nereo's advice to buy used.

Regarding the dryer; what does your family look like and do you really need a dryer in your situation? I live in a reasonably humid climate without a dryer and do just fine line-drying my clothes indoor. It's just as little hassle as the dryer and I'm not bothered by my clothes lying around for a day or so. Dryers are the biggest energy consumers/polluters AND it's the easiest one to get rid of so double win!

freedomfightergal

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 06:17:21 PM »
Thank you for your replies!  I will check Craigs List, if they can deliver it may work.  I've checked the ratings for some appliances online, but unfortunately you have to dig it out and can't search via the criteria.

I'd love the old fashioned clothesline, but my HOA would probably have a cow.  Clothes and sheets smell so much better after drying in the sun..

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 06:25:16 AM »

I'd love the old fashioned clothesline, but my HOA would probably have a cow.  Clothes and sheets smell so much better after drying in the sun..

A clothes horse, kept inside, is always an option.  For the previous 6 years we lived in an apartment and >50% of our clothes were ambient dried.